Knicks and Wolves chatting about Jimmy

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,862

Re: Knicks and Wolves chatting about Jimmy 

Post#81 » by TheSuzerain » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:50 pm

TheDavinciCHODE wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:
TheDavinciCHODE wrote:Everyone in here talking about the Knicks trading anyone of value, especially Knox or KP needs to be banned from this forum.

The Knicks are not trading KP, a better player than Jimmy Butler at only 22, under team control, with far more upside for a player at the tail end of his prime.

And they certainly aren't trading any rookies or Ntilikina for a player they can just sign in free agency.

The Knicks are in no rush to acquire Butler. Honestly, I'm not sure I even want him.

KP - 22
Frank - 19
Knox - 19
Mitch - whatever

The Knicks have a core for 10 years with this group. Would I mind Jimmy signing outright as a free agent next year...? Not really. But we certainly don't need him. He wouldn't make us title contenders sans injury to a Western team. I think it's better for the next to keep building, make the playoffs in 2020, take their bumps and bruises, and peak once Golden State and Lebron are on the downside.

If Kevin Durant says "I want NYK now" next year, then obviously I'm on board, but I wouldn't stunt this rebuild for anyone.

IF we could possibly signing Kyrie AND Butler in 2019, then fine.

Good thing real gm posters don't actually get NBA jobs.

Knox AND Ntilikina for a 1 year rental of Butler?

KP for a one year rental of Butler?

Are you high?

Knicks shouldn't trade KP, but KP is obviously not a better player than Butler. He's pretty clearly worse.

If Knicks can position themselves to add Irving to Butler and KP then that is very tempting. That team can come out of the East.

I don't think it's as far apart as you think it is. KP is not only the best rim protector in the league, he was average 23/7 on good efficiency. If not in a vacuum at this current point, he's far more "valuable" as a player over the next 3-4 years.

KP was not the best rim protector in the league.

But if KP regains health, he's a more valuable asset, yes.
Magic_Johnny12
RealGM
And1: 8,454

Post#82 » by Magic_Johnny12 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:51 pm

LMFAO at people actually think Porzingis or I will go as far to say even Knox is included in any Butler trade.

Let's remind people of a few things...

1) Butler is an expiring and has publicly stated he will not pick up his option (his red flag)

2) Butler and Kyrie has been rumored plenty of joining forces in NY

3) Butler reportedly turned down a huge extension (another red flag)

4) Butler rumored by credible sources has expressed his frustrations with KAT (franchise player)

No team in their right mind unless ran by Rob Hennigan will give up any substantial assets to acquire him when the painting is clearly on the wall.

This trade if facilitated just between them two will be something like Frank + Lee + '19 FRP (little to no protection) and in a nutshell is a very very fair offer.

The '19 pick could easily be a lottery pick + a former lottery pick and a good veteran on a good contract that is like a poor poor mans Butler.

Ultimately I see Minny as winners if this trade went down as I feel Butler is gone regardless.
PM me if you can help a brotha finally get an AVI.
Ignitowsky
General Manager
And1: 2,494

Post#83 » by Ignitowsky » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:53 pm

[youtube][/youtube]
matt6715 wrote:Lee-Knox-Ntilikina for Butler feels like a decent place to start

Seems like a better place to end.

I call BS on this whole thread. Knicks management has been adamant about developing the kids and not looking for the quick fix. I don't see them giving up any assets for a one-year rental.
All in all he's just another prick with no wall
Domejandro
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 26,962

Post#84 » by Domejandro » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:57 pm

Magic_Johnny12 wrote:3) Butler reportedly turned down a huge extension (another red flag)

No it isn't. Say what you want about anything else, but this is absolute nonsense.

110/4 was the extension.

Next year he can get....

140/4 from another team.

Or get 210/5 with Minnesota.

Nobody in their right minds thought he would take the extension, the extension was a sign of goodwill, and everyone knew that going it. Let's be reasonable.
Jonathan starks
Bench Warmer
And1: 815

Post#85 » by Jonathan starks » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:01 pm

dorkestra wrote:
Effigy wrote:
dorkestra wrote:Knox, Robinson, Ntlikina, and THJr for James Butler

Not a chance Knox gets included. Frank, maybe.

If that was the case, every other team would outbid them.

Nix ain’t Tradding Knox and I doubt anyone wants frank. Nothing to see here really
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,819

Post#86 » by AirP. » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:02 pm

Domejandro wrote:
Magic_Johnny12 wrote:3) Butler reportedly turned down a huge extension (another red flag)

No it isn't. Say what you want about anything else, but this is absolute nonsense.

110/4 was the extension.

Next year he can get....

140/4 from another team.

Nobody in their right minds thought he would take the extension, the extension was a sign of goodwill, and everyone knew that going it. Let's be reasonable.

Right, and even if Butler went down with a career ending injury, he could opt in to his player option and get another 20 million.
Mickey8
Head Coach
And1: 5,185

Post#87 » by Mickey8 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:08 pm

The Knicks should rid of Porzingis , he's one injury away of being done as the basketball player , he was overrated even before the injury, just look at the Knicks team record since he's drafted, below average rebounder, not so great shooting percentages , a big mistake if they overpay him , they have Mitchel at center position, he's promising player, they should try to developing him.
eitanr
General Manager
And1: 299

Post#88 » by eitanr » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:14 pm

I think Frank is on the table, but Knox/KP are obv off it.

Frank/Lee is a good start. If Minny feels they are losing him regardless, in this deal they get a nice off the ball wing and potential PG. For NY, they open up more cap space potential by removing Frank/lee both not expiring in 2019
Read the best NBA Articles on the Web right here, delivering innovative insights and a unique perspectives on all the happenings of the league.

http://fullcourtanalytics.blogspot.com/
Icandoallthings
Senior
And1: 337

Post#89 » by Icandoallthings » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:16 pm

I am begging that the Knicks for once do not try to shortcut a rebuild. Hopefully Perry can talk some sense into Mills to just wait out these horrible deals.
ellobo
Veteran
And1: 4,477

Post#90 » by ellobo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:17 pm

Knicks do not need any part of Jimmy Butler. This is a year to develop young players, take your lumps, get another high pick, wait for KP to recover, and let a year come off your albatross contracts (and dump whatever you can without paying to do so).

This is not the time to give up anything valuable to rent a player for one year and/or commit big money to keeping him when he will be turning 30. That would be typical Knicks, but hopefully we're past that (please, please, please).
Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Yesterday I was lying; today I'm telling the truth.
TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,316

Post#91 » by TheHartBreakKid » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:18 pm

Maybe knicks fans will disagree, but everyone should be on the table except porzingis for butler. They easily become the favorites for kyrie if they do this. I would try to keep the athletic beast center whose name I just forgot and I can’t look up because I’m posting on realgm at work on my phone because I have a major basketball addiction, but Knox and frank will both be gone and that’s ok.

Will the knicks have he cap space to sign sign kyrie though? I’m guessing you stretch Noah....and THJ is included in a jimmy trade. You still have to retain porzinges’ cap hold, and have enough space for jimmy and Kylie. Would they have to find a way to dump Lee?
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,977

Post#92 » by zimpy27 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:18 pm

If Knicks trade for Butler then Noah or THJ or Lance/Lee contract will be involved. Reason being is they need capspace to resign Porzingis and Butler.

Would be enough for one young player and picks.

They could flip Porzingis and Noah for Butler. That would allow them to resign Butler and Kyrie.
Kyrie, THJ, Butler, Knox, Robinson

Though that's risky, smarter to move THJ or Lee/Lance with Frank and a pick
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
reload141
RealGM
And1: 22,410

Post#93 » by reload141 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:23 pm

Domejandro wrote:

110/4 was the extension.

Next year he can get....

140/4 from another team.

This just needs to be quoted so much in this thread.

He ain’t signing an extension when he get an extra $100mil next year. Same with Irving.

Minny offering the extension now is more saying “We want to keep you in Minny and we’re committed to you”
bulliedog8
Head Coach
And1: 4,482

Post#94 » by bulliedog8 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:26 pm

Wow people have a lot of big offers. If I’m the Knicks. I say Knox and Noah for butler. Maybe throw in frank.

Knicks do that because then you bring kyrie next year.

Kyrie
Butler
SF
Kristaps
Robinson
gojoorange
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,081

Post#95 » by gojoorange » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:29 pm

Domejandro wrote:

110/4 was the extension.

Next year he can get....

140/4 from another team.

Exactly. This misinformation that keeps getting rehashed because players turn down an extension is getting out of control. They are eligible for WAY more money next season by turning down the extension. That's all there is to it. Minnesota knew he would turn it down when they made the offer. They made the offer to let Jimmy know they want him there at max money.

He isn't turning down that 5 year deal next year.
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#96 » by IllmaticHandler » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:33 pm

Dont let a five page thread distract you from the fact that woj, Stein etc has not said this, but some random dude on twitter did.

smh. general board running with this harder than Knick Fans. :lol: :lol:
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,283

Post#97 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:41 pm

TheHartBreakKid wrote:Maybe knicks fans will disagree, but everyone should be on the table except porzingis for butler. They easily become the favorites for kyrie if they do this. I would try to keep the athletic beast center whose name I just forgot and I can’t look up because I’m posting on realgm at work on my phone because I have a major basketball addiction, but Knox and frank will both be gone and that’s ok.

Will the knicks have he cap space to sign sign kyrie though? I’m guessing you stretch Noah....and THJ is included in a jimmy trade. You still have to retain porzinges’ cap hold, and have enough space for jimmy and Kylie. Would they have to find a way to dump Lee?

He's not the worth the asking price if it requires Knox, Frank and Mitchell. To put it in perspective the Bulls got LaVine (torn ACL), Dunn and Lauri for him with 2 years left on his deal so how is he worth a big package with less years on his deal and zero guarantee he will resign with the Knicks? Dunn was worse as a 23 yr old rookie than Frank was as an 18 yr old too, LaVine missed 2/3 of the season, and while Lauri was a good pickup the Bulls also gave up their pick to facilitate the trade.

Butler isn't a top 10 player, and I'd rather just roll the dice in free agency now that we have a competent front office and coach.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,984

Post#98 » by wolves_89 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:56 pm

Tweet from one of the main Minnesota insiders:

Read on Twitter
dorkestra
RealGM
And1: 12,674

Post#99 » by dorkestra » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:59 pm

wolves_89 wrote:Tweet from one of the main Minnesota insiders:

Read on Twitter

Darren Wolfson? Beat reporter for the Timberwolves?

folks who quote what I wrote get choked
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#100 » by nedleeds » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:01 pm

Decline. Butler is too old for he core young group the Knicks are building and he doesn't put the Knicks in any position to compete with Boston anyway by himself. Especially since they'd have to likely give up Knox + 1st. He's a good player, but he's too old, too much tread and doesn't match up with the Knicks age group.
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.

Return to The General Board