Spurs Required Ben Simmons Or Joel Embiid To Trade Kawhi Leonard To 76ers

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

The Duke
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,150

Re: Spurs Required Ben Simmons Or Joel Embiid To Trade Kawhi Leonard To 76ers 

Post#81 » by The Duke » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:19 pm

Lowry is "better" then DD
My preference was to trade DD (instead of Lowry).
I don't want a SG who can't shoot the 3 point shot, playing heavy minutes again, while providing bad defense.
DD is a net negative player, and Jakob is the net positive player.
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#82 » by NBAFan93 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:28 pm

Unbiased hater wrote:1) Derozan need to beat Curry, Harden, Paul, Westbrook, Lillard, Butler, Klay, Murray, Booker, CJ, Williams, Doncic, Lonzo, DSJ and others if he wants to go to the All Star so it's not gonna happen bc western stars get more votes than stars in the East .

2) Asking only for All Stars is stupid bc Oladipo become one when he came to Indiana. Ingram is better than Derozan already and Saric is close to Derozan's quality but it's much better fit than Derozan.

3) Asking for Embiid or Simmons or for Kuzma , Ingram,Kuzma and bunch of picks, Kyrie , Hayward, Tatum or Brown is sign that you don't want to trade him to that team bc you need to know that that isn't going to happen . This situation debunked myth how Spurs FO is serious or good at trades bc if Raptors weren't desparate with this kind of behaviour in trad enegotiations they would end with Deng and second rounder at trade deadline .

He will have a challenge getting it over Paul, Butler, Lillard and Klay, but no way any of the bolded players would make All Star over DeRozan if the Spurs are in the top 4 of the West at vote time.

You have rookies and second year guys on there who have had no team success at all, when DeRozan has lead a team that has consistently been a top seed and won more the 50 games. Lou Williams doesn’t even start, Doncic has never even played an NBA game, Lonzo can’t shoot and also may not start, Booker and DSJ teams will be lucky to get 35 wins, etc. And if you want to talk about fan votes, remember how Manu got more fan votes than Harden last year cause the Spurs got out the vote for him which they’ll do for DeRozan. Also, DeRozan was 2nd Team All NBA last year - so the media voters thought he was top 4 guard in the entire league.

And Deng and a 2nd rounder at the deadline? No team would ever take that even for nothing at all back, let alone a player w/ value. Just stop.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,190

Post#83 » by eyeatoma » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:40 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:If I was the Spurs I would have asked for

Brown/Tatum from the Celtics
Simmons/Embiid from the Sixers
Derozan/Lowry from the Raptors

Raptors gave Derozan so Leonard is a Raptor.

LMAO you would 100% have to include Kyrie as an option, if Embiid/Simmons was the calibre of player the Spurs were asking for.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,927

Post#84 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:43 pm

eyeatoma wrote:

LMAO you would 100% have to include Kyrie as an option, if Embiid/Simmons was the calibre of player the Spurs were asking for.

I think Kyrie Irving has accomplished a hell of a lot more than Simmons/Embiid. Talk about overrating players!
Chinook
Head Coach
And1: 3,473

Post#85 » by Chinook » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:49 pm

DROB27 wrote:
jbent87 wrote:So Spurs think Derozan is the same caliber player as Simmons/Embiid? We sure about this team?

They wanted an all star in return what’s wrong with that?

People are way too obsessed with the concept of "value" on this board, so the idea of getting a less valuable DeRozan over Cov and a medley of picks is foreign to them. I do think PATFO played if wrong if Philly actually made a legit offer (and it's not clear that they did) though. I have more than a feeling that they could have had DeMar and some of Philly's pick haul had they played this better.
dukes_wild
RealGM
And1: 50,145

Post#86 » by dukes_wild » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:53 pm

Let's all address the elephant in the room: Pop's age.

Dude is 70. The main thing he wanted from this trade was a player back who could keep the team afloat. He doesn't have time for a 3-4 year+ rebuild.
Geddy wrote:You're probably scratching your balls and eating cheese puffs

Ice Trae wrote:Is it just me or does Derrick Rose look like Jean Claude Van Damme
NBAFan93
RealGM

Post#87 » by NBAFan93 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:56 pm

eyeatoma wrote:

Kyrie is the right caliber of player, but remember he only has one year on his deal. All them other guys are under contact.
Unbiased hater
Sixth Man
And1: 749

Post#88 » by Unbiased hater » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:02 pm

NBAFan93 wrote:
Unbiased hater wrote:1) Derozan need to beat Curry, Harden, Paul, Westbrook, Lillard, Butler, Klay, Murray, Booker, CJ, Williams, Doncic, Lonzo, DSJ and others if he wants to go to the All Star so it's not gonna happen bc western stars get more votes than stars in the East .

2) Asking only for All Stars is stupid bc Oladipo become one when he came to Indiana. Ingram is better than Derozan already and Saric is close to Derozan's quality but it's much better fit than Derozan.

3) Asking for Embiid or Simmons or for Kuzma , Ingram,Kuzma and bunch of picks, Kyrie , Hayward, Tatum or Brown is sign that you don't want to trade him to that team bc you need to know that that isn't going to happen . This situation debunked myth how Spurs FO is serious or good at trades bc if Raptors weren't desparate with this kind of behaviour in trad enegotiations they would end with Deng and second rounder at trade deadline .

He will have a challenge getting it over Paul, Butler, Lillard and Klay, but no way any of the bolded players would make All Star over DeRozan if the Spurs are in the top 4 of the West at vote time.

You have rookies and second year guys on there who have had no team success at all, when DeRozan has lead a team that has consistently been a top seed and won more the 50 games. Lou Williams doesn’t even start, Doncic has never even played an NBA game, Lonzo can’t shoot and also may not start, Booker and DSJ teams will be lucky to get 35 wins, etc. And if you want to talk about fan votes, remember how Manu got more fan votes than Harden last year cause the Spurs got out the vote for him which they’ll do for DeRozan. Also, DeRozan was 2nd Team All NBA last year - so the media voters thought he was top 4 guard in the entire league.

And Deng and a 2nd rounder at the deadline? No team would ever take that even for nothing at all back, let alone a player w/ value. Just stop.

They voted him before PO where he was benched so things changed . Also when we talk about how media seen him last year he wasn't even in consideration for MVP even though he was leader on best team in the East and second best in NBA during RS so he didn't get exposure that he would wanted . Playing in small market wont change that . With this kind of behaviour Spurs would alienate everyone else so only Lakers would want him which mean they couldn't get good deal .
NBAFan93
RealGM

Post#89 » by NBAFan93 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:02 pm

dukes_wild wrote:Let's all address the elephant in the room: Pop's age.

Dude is 70. The main thing he wanted from this trade was a player back who could keep the team afloat. He doesn't have time for a 3-4 year+ rebuild.

Yep - Spurs clearly didn’t want to rebuild just yet. They wanted a win now guy and that’s what they got.

All the people expecting them to go into tank mode w/ unproven players w/ “potential” were just way off on understanding their desires.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,190

Post#90 » by eyeatoma » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:06 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

I think Kyrie Irving has accomplished a hell of a lot more than Simmons/Embiid. Talk about overrating players!

Do you understand what I was saying? They want a premier player, Kyrie is way more accomplished than Tatum/Brown. They 100% need to give him up to get Kawhi.
NBAFan93
RealGM

Post#91 » by NBAFan93 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:21 pm

Unbiased hater wrote:
NBAFan93 wrote:

They voted him before PO where he was benched so things changed . Also when we talk about how media seen him last year he wasn't even in consideration for MVP even though he was leader on best team in the East and second best in NBA during RS so he didn't get exposure that he would wanted . Playing in small market wont change that . With this kind of behaviour Spurs would alienate everyone else so only Lakers would want him which mean they couldn't get good deal .

Same goes for Lillard who made first team. I’m not sure what the point is - we all know All NBA and MVP are voted before POs and it skews the results. Guys who have bad playoff performances get that stuff all the time.

DeRozan was discussed for MVP at some points early in the season, but then Lilliard and Davis took over the conversations. Lillard due to his second half of the season surge and team success, and Davis for elevating the team after the Boogie injury. And I’m not sure what the Spurs market size has to do w/ things - Spurs have had many, many All Stars over the years.

Re: the contract, even if there were NO other offers at all for Kawhi they’d never take Deng and a 2nd rounder for him. 2nd round picks can be bought for cash, and no team will take on two years of $18M in Deng’s contract to obtain one. Don’t even think you can get someone to do that for a FRP...especially since now the Lakers pick will be worse....maybe next summer when Deng is expiring they will, but not at the deadline.
jbent87
Veteran
And1: 1,202

Post#92 » by jbent87 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:26 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:
jbent87 wrote:So Spurs think Derozan is the same caliber player as Simmons/Embiid? We sure about this team?

What has Simmons/Embiid done that Derozan hasn't done? This should be an interesting answer.

Embiid and Ben Simmons - essentially current All Stars - if Simmons' ROTY is a fair way of gauging whether he finds himself on the path to becoming an All Star (I tend to think it does) - have their entire NBA lives ahead of them still. A stat padding 29 year old 29% 3pt shooting "All Star" in Demar Derozan is nowhere near as valuable as 24 year old All Star/face of the league Joel Embiid or 22 year old future All Star/face of the league Ben Simmons.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#93 » by Ballerhogger » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:29 pm

embiid was out the question i could see Simmions if Kawhi had 1 more year on his deal . Overall sounds like the spurs were swining for a homer run . Eventually got double with the raptors
dosun
Sophomore
And1: 90

Post#94 » by dosun » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:31 pm

I guess Spurs really wanted a player that can't shoot/make 3's. :dontknow:
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#95 » by Ballerhogger » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:32 pm

MaxRider wrote:

Spurs did ask for Tatum
people rank Kawhi top 5
you don't trade top 5 player for bag of peanut

they kinda did at the end though. DeRozan has 2 years left headed towards his 30s.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 91,038

Post#96 » by Capn'O » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:37 pm

Pop wanted to fight one more fight. He deserves it. They'll rebuild when he goes.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,338

Post#97 » by CoP » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:40 pm

eyeatoma wrote:
Celts17Pride wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Do you understand what I was saying? They want a premier player, Kyrie is way more accomplished than Tatum/Brown. They 100% need to give him up to get Kawhi.

What he's saying is that Brown/Tatum is nearly as accomplished as Embiid/Simmons, so that may have been the minimum Spurs would have accepted for Kawhi. Maybe not Brown, though. Tatum I'm guessing yes.
Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,807

Post#98 » by Steelo Green » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:42 pm

ZemGOAT wrote:Lmao im not even doing that trade even if he was 5 years younger and he wants to come to Philly.

Simmons and Embiid will both be better than him individually in 5-10 years

Not that I would do that deal if I were Philly, but that's a grandiose statement.

Kahwi is a finals MVP, DPOY, and a top 3 MVP candidate with a title. That's a lot for any player to reach.
Unbiased hater
Sixth Man
And1: 749

Post#99 » by Unbiased hater » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:07 pm

Fan votes from last All Star:

Derozan - 998 999
Curry - 2 379 494
Harden - 1 486 830
Westbrook - 1 241 129
Klay - 1 239 768
JD225
Analyst
And1: 341

Post#100 » by JD225 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:12 pm

There is an argument to be made against a full scale rebuild. Just look at the top seeds from last year. Houston and Toronto have remained competitive for years despite fans demanding a full tank after every playoff disappointment. So while Demar, Aldridge and Gay are a terrible fit I can understand why they want to remain competitive.

Return to The General Board