Am I the only one who thinks Toronto will go to the Finals?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

droopdog7
Sophomore
And1: 173

Re: Am I the only one who thinks Toronto will go to the Finals? 

Post#241 » by droopdog7 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:43 pm

Toronto definitely a contender but they are not and should not be the favorite. If betting real money it’s on the Celtics.
crossroads
Pro Prospect
And1: 375

Post#242 » by crossroads » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:47 pm

GotDaSauce wrote:I usually stay out of the Toronto hate but the delusion of the fans I just cant take anymore! Celtics had the best defense in the league yet all of a sudden Toronto now has 5 first team all defense players in their lineup???!!! So good they are taking out GSW?! Give me a break!!!

Toronto had the 5th ranked defense in the league last year, then upgraded from DeRozan (probably the worst defender on the team) to Leonard who, when healthy, is one of the best defensive players in NBA history while also adding Danny Green who was 2nd team all-defense not too long ago. So it's not unreasonable for some to assume that they could be improved enough to catch up to Boston defensively. Obviously this is all on paper, so we'll see how things look once the games actually start.

Also unless I missed it i believe only one person mentioned being able to beat Golden State and that person is not a Raptors fan, so chill with the hyperbole a bit
droopdog7
Sophomore
And1: 173

Post#243 » by droopdog7 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:51 pm

CoachD wrote:
Moose23 wrote:
CoachD wrote:
Matchups matter to EVERY team, in EVERY game. It's why the superstar-less Pistons could manhandle the Hall of Fame loaded Lakers. It's why the Spurs could take out the loaded Miami Heat. It's why the Mavs beat the Heat.

Boston will NOT match up well with Toronto's length and offense.

For example:

If you determine Kyrie is the biggest offensive threat, then the guy guarding him is Kawhi. That is going to severely mitigate / contain Kyrie's impact.

Then you have Hayward. OG Announoby was a monster defender as a rookie last year, and is only getting better. Go watch the video from OG's first career start last year when he shut down the league MVP James Harden. He can 100% guard Hayward.

Then you have a guy like Brown. Lowry is still one of the best guard defenders in the game, and he did VERY WELL guarding Brown last season, and I think that assignment is just fine for him. You also have excellent defenders like Delon Wright and Van Vleet that can lock a guy up.

When it comes to a guy like Horford, you can put him in foul trouble by having Valanciunas attack him inside, OR, go small ball, and put a long, quick defender like Pascal Siakam who effectively guarded the MUCH FASTER John Wall in the playoffs can definately stay in front of Hayward and make his life hell.

Let's assume the last starter is Tatum. You have options here. You could go with the veteran 3+D man Danny Green, or Siakam or Wright or whoever you like. Hell, you could put Kawhi on him, and have one of our defensive point guards like Wright / FVV take on Kyrie / Rozier.

The matchups are terrible for Boston

I didnt say Matchups dont matter.

And boston has far too many offensive weapons for torontos guards to handle.

Why am I even bothering to respond to you....

Are you forgetting how TERRIBLE Boston's offense was, even WITH Kyrie????

Toronto has:

- A 2 time DPOY
- An excellent vet 3+D man
- A PG who is always at the top of the league in WinShare, DRPM and RPM
- A second year player who was statistically elite defensively
- A 3 year year player who was statistically elite defensively
- A long, athletic combo guard who can effectively guard 3 positions
- A bulldog backup PG who along with Lowry and Chris Paul are the only 3 PGs in the league that rank at elite levels in defense and 3 point shooting
- An end of the bench guard with a 6'11" wingspan who has successfully defended guys like Paul George and Middleton in the playoffs...

Like ... give me a break

You guys don’t understand what matchups are about. Matchups typically are about mismatches. Does one team have an advantages that has a ripple affect on the other team? Toronto has none over the Celtics. So it comes down to the better, more we’ll-rounded team. Celtics much more versatile offensively and THEY, not the raptors had the best defense last year.
CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,820

Post#244 » by CoachD » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:00 pm

droopdog7 wrote:
CoachD wrote:
Moose23 wrote:

Toronto has:

- A 2 time DPOY
- A bulldog backup PG who along with Lowry and Chris Paul are the only 3 PGs in the league that rank at elite levels in defense and 3 point shooting
- An end of the bench guard with a 6'11" wingspan who has successfully defended guys like Paul George and Middleton in the playoffs...

Like ... give me a break

You guys don’t understand what matchups are about. Matchups typically are about mismatches. Does one team have an advantages that has a ripple affect on the other team? Toronto has none over the Celtics. So it comes down to the better, more we’ll-rounded team. Celtics much more versatile offensively and THEY, not the raptors had the best defense last year.

Ya you're right. I've been making my living coaching over the last 3 decades, but I don't understand what matchups are about.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Red Shoelace
Lead Assistant
And1: 30,508

Post#245 » by Red Shoelace » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:02 pm

Raptor fans, please stop responding to Moose.

This guy got bullied off the Raptors board and now his whole agenda on general board is talking about Raptors. I'm not even joking go look through the guys history, 9/10 posts are Raptors related. Just add him to foe and move on.
Moose23
Analyst
And1: 1,936

Post#246 » by Moose23 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:02 pm

CoachD wrote:
droopdog7 wrote:
CoachD wrote:

Toronto has:

- A 2 time DPOY

Like ... give me a break

Ya you're right. I've been making my living coaching over the last 3 decades, but I don't understand what matchups are about.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Do you have a go fund me page?

Cause we know you aint making ends meet

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
Moose23
Analyst
And1: 1,936

Post#247 » by Moose23 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:03 pm

Red Shoelace wrote:Raptor fans, please stop responding to Moose.

This guy got bullied off the Raptors board and now his whole agenda on general board is talking about Raptors. I'm not even joking go look through the guys history, 9/10 posts are Raptors related. Just add him to foe and move on.
You are right

Raptors fanbase is toxic

CoachD
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,820

Post#248 » by CoachD » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:05 pm

Good call. Done.
GordanFreeman
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,165

Post#249 » by GordanFreeman » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:18 pm

Moose23 wrote:
CoachD wrote:
Moose23 wrote:

Salty much?

Go away. I am sure you have a Demar number retirement, or a Lowry lost 3 pounts buffet, or a floor got mopped ring giving ceremony to get too.

LMAO

Says the guy who's team planned a ceremony for Isaiah Thomas after having ONE good season.

You're weak sauce bud.

but they didnt.

is that the best you can do? hate on a franchise for having the most championships? hate on a franchise for thinking about doing something? hating on a team cause they have too many good players?

Talk about weak.....

You're a shameless turncoat. How have you been able to muster up the gall to show your face around here you $20 hoe?

Personal attacks will not be tolerated.
Last edited by bwgood77 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Strike for personal attack
everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,125

Post#250 » by everdiso » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:27 pm

crossroads wrote:
GotDaSauce wrote:I usually stay out of the Toronto hate but the delusion of the fans I just cant take anymore! Celtics had the best defense in the league yet all of a sudden Toronto now has 5 first team all defense players in their lineup???!!! So good they are taking out GSW?! Give me a break!!!

Toronto had the 5th ranked defense in the league last year, then upgraded from DeRozan (probably the worst defender on the team) to Leonard who, when healthy, is one of the best defensive players in NBA history while also adding Danny Green who was 2nd team all-defense not too long ago. So it's not unreasonable for some to assume that they could be improved enough to catch up to Boston defensively.

not to mention, full-time Hayward and Kyrie likely makes the celtics worse defensively.
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."
ken6199
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 18,558

Post#251 » by ken6199 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:28 pm

Moose23 wrote:

You are right

Raptors fanbase is toxic

If you are reporting other posters, please make sure you are not the one who baited them in the first place.

Let's not do this anymore.
RealGM loves you, Melissa.
pingpongrac
RealGM
And1: 16,249

Post#252 » by pingpongrac » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:30 pm

droopdog7 wrote:
CoachD wrote:
Moose23 wrote:

Toronto has:

- A 2 time DPOY

Like ... give me a break

Are the Celtics really that much more versatile on the offensive end? I'd argue that the Raptors are even more versatile now than they were last year when they were the 3rd ranked offence. They have quite a few high IQ players that provide a lot of shooting and playmaking.

Also, who is shutting down Kawhi in a series? That's a mismatch in the Raptors' favour.

Sent from my LG-H831 using RealGM mobile app
everdiso
General Manager

Post#253 » by everdiso » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:32 pm

droopdog7 wrote:
CoachD wrote:
Moose23 wrote:

Toronto has:

- A 2 time DPOY

Like ... give me a break

well, the celts don't have anyone that can guard Kawhi, Kyle, or Jonas, to start with.

whereas the only real matchup issue for the raps is Horford - they don't really have a guy who can both bang with him and guard him on the perimeter.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,836

Post#254 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:35 pm

everdiso wrote:
well, the celts don't have anyone that can guard Kawhi, Kyle, or Jonas, to start with.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
everdiso
General Manager

Post#255 » by everdiso » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:37 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:
everdiso wrote:

three more emojis and you'd have convinced me.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#256 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:40 pm

everdiso wrote:
everdiso wrote:

Kyle Lowry averaged a whopping 16 ppg against the Celtics last year on 43% shooting.
Jonas averaged 6 ppg against the Celtics on 38% FG shooting.

But go ahead and tell us again that the Celtics have no one to stop those guys.

Spoiler:
Here's your extra emojis. Keep the change.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
everdiso
General Manager

Post#257 » by everdiso » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:48 pm

everdiso wrote:

Kyle Lowry averaged a whopping 16 ppg against the Celtics last year on 43% shooting.

Spoiler:

how many of those games did Kyrie start?

and don't worry, Casey won't be able to bench Jonas and refuse to exploit his matchup advantage anymore.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,792

Post#258 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:49 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Watch the video again and tell me that the whole thing wasn't awkward af, all the way down to the great song selection in Nelly's #1. :lol: Look at how happy the fans are!!! Oh yaaaaaay!!!

Out of all the Celtics fans here, you might be one of the few I would say this to... you're better than this.
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM

Post#259 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:53 pm

everdiso wrote:
everdiso wrote:

Spoiler:

how many of those games did Kyrie start?

and don't worry, Casey won't be able to bench Jonas and refuse to exploit his matchup advantage anymore.

Lol. You guys are so gullible. Nick Nurse loves JV, so that means JV is going to score more than 6 ppg against the Celtics. Right. I'm not sure how my team is going to handle the Lithuanian Hakeem Olajuwon. Very worried about him.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,792

Post#260 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:58 pm

everdiso wrote:

Spoiler:

Could be worse.... could be the other way around and Rozier/Smart, Tatum and Baynes vs Toronto.

Spoiler:
No emojis

Return to The General Board