The Cavs could sneak into the playoffs this season.

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Re: The Cavs could sneak into the playoffs this season. 

Post#41 » by dacrusha » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:07 pm

Tiesto_Lakers wrote:Of course they can sneak in. It’s the East.

100%... the middle of the pack east is terrible and one or two of the Cavs, Nets, Knicks, Hornets, or Pistons could make the playoffs.

That Cavs lineup is pretty god-awful though. Who's their second best player? Hill? Clarkson? Those guys are bench players on a contender. Love is a nice 3rd-tier player, but there is no one that can create their own shot or close out a 4th quarter on that entire roster.
"If you can’t make a profit, you should sell your team" - Michael Jordan
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#42 » by Scalabrine » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:51 pm

bargnanimvp wrote:
meekrab wrote:I would "consider" turning two backups and a mid first into Jayson Tatum too.

You should hire David Copperfield to help out with that

Jokes even better because you're a magic fan.
Go Knicks!
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#43 » by Scalabrine » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:57 pm

It's definitely possible, but I don't think it's likely.

If Sexton contributes right away, Osman is an above average starter, and Love is healthy all year and playing at the Timberwolves level then they have the complimentary pieces to make some moves. I'm intrigued to see what Lue can do now that he finally gets to coach too.

If I had to guess, I think it goes:
1. Raptors
2. Celtics
3. Pacers
4. Sixers
5. Bucks
6. Wizards
7. Pistons
8. Heat
----
9. Hornets
10. Cavs
11. Bulls
12. Magic
13. Nets
14. Knicks
15. Hawks
Go Knicks!
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,066

Post#44 » by Lalouie » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:23 pm

NBAFan93 wrote:
Lalouie wrote:
JJ_PR wrote:With the departure of James, the Cavs will no doubt struggle to adjust. That said, this team has some nice pieces and could contend for a playoff spot.

PG: Collin Sexton / George Hill / Isaiah Taylor
SG: Jordan Clarkson / J.R. Smith / Kyle Korver / David Nwaba
SF: Cedi Osman / Sam Dekker / Rodney Hood
PF: Kevin Love / Bonzie Colson
C: Larry Nance / Tristan Thompson / Ante Zizic

This team can win 40 games in the East, which could propel this team into the playoffs.

Here's a three team deal that I put together that the Cavs should consider.

Cleveland receives: Jayson Tatum

Boston receives: Collin Sexton & Marvin Bagley III

Sacramento receives: Terry Rozier, Cedi Osman & '19 first round pick from Memphis

sexton will be ROY

i think the cavs will play harder because they want to show what they can do without lebron. however they're old so how long can they keep it up. jr will be a cancer - he got his so he don't care - he already got into a fight, so he's on a runaway train and there's no spiderman to save his @ss. love gave minnie 40wins but that was before lebron changed him so i don't know if the cavs get that same love

That fight really wasn’t on JR - he was pissed cause he almost got his arm ripped off - I’d be more concerned if he didn’t do anything cause that would show that he’s apathetic and doesn’t give a crap anymore and was okay with getting injured so he could take time off. JR to me seems more engaged this season for some reason. He’s also lost weight and seems more fit.

with jr, it's about attitude and what's going on upstairs, so this thing is a mere symptom, which is concerning. you gotta remember, someone has to keep reminding jr to rein it in, or he forgets himself. who will that person be now. jr has never shown self-control. @cavs, it was lebron-control
Kirk Van Houten
Junior
And1: 116

Post#45 » by Kirk Van Houten » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:34 pm

Cavs will 100% make the playoffs.

1. Celtics
2. Raptors
3. Sixers
4. Bucks
5. Wizards
6. Cavs
7. Pacers
8. Hornets
----
9. Pistons
10. Heat
11. Nets
12. Magic
13. Bulls
14. Knicks
15. Hawks
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#46 » by NoZoLakers » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:38 pm

Dupp wrote:Lmao at that trade. Take my money!!

We got no hope at playoffs

if odd were 20-1 or higher Id take Clev for playoff all day :D
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,066

Post#47 » by Lalouie » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:12 am

Kirk Van Houten wrote:Cavs will 100% make the playoffs.

1. Celtics
2. Raptors
3. Sixers
4. Bucks
5. Wizards
6. Cavs
7. Pacers
8. Hornets
----
9. Pistons
10. Heat
11. Nets
12. Magic
13. Bulls
14. Knicks
15. Hawks

i put cavs and pacers ahead of the wiz. they'll find a way to lose.
Wooderson
RealGM
And1: 5,290

Post#48 » by Wooderson » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:15 am

Early returns not so good. Lost to a low level EC team missing Collins/Dedmon at home.
afarmenian
Analyst
And1: 3,504

Post#49 » by afarmenian » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:27 am

Bottom 3 team in the league. Not sure what made people think different.
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,975

Post#50 » by RCM88x » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:28 am

Rip

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
nybluemeadow
Rookie
And1: 508

Post#51 » by nybluemeadow » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:29 am

K Love is the perennial fake star, empty stats loser who can never carry a team to #8
Jazz9
Analyst
And1: 6,488

Post#52 » by Jazz9 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:48 am

What's the reasoning behind Love's re-signing because I don't get it tbh
RCM88x
RealGM

Post#53 » by RCM88x » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:57 am

Jazz9 wrote:What's the reasoning behind Love's re-signing because I don't get it tbh

Dan Gilbert wanted to put up a facade of not tanking and trying to keep people interested in the team, perhaps a bit of wanting to avoid a 2011 situation too.

However, its probably going to screw the franchise over long term. I mean, idk, not like any FA will ever come here so its not a huge issue, and KLove isn't a "terrible" player, just going to hinder the team financially and in terms of roster freedom for a while. I appreciate Love's want to stay here for the long term, but I'm not sure if he knew what he was getting into with this. This is a Cleveland pro sports team WITHOUT Lebron, aka you're sports life and luck is going to be **** awful no matter how hard you work. Obviously only 3 games, but I just don't know how this is ever going to work, roster is a mess of average or below average rotation players, many of which are not getting better anytime soon.

Cedi might be the one bright spot, just because he's fun to watch and perhaps has the potential to be an low tier AS caliber player, but outside of that.... just don't really see what this team has for the future of even the current. Just a tough spot really... but one they put themselves in by running the franchise poorly and making many poor decisions, having below average staff, etc.... Just ain't gonna work like that in the NBA, or any pro league.

At least the Browns and Tribe have sort of learned that recently, but I'm not convinced Gilbert's ego will allow him to make such decisions, or if he's even smart enough to do so.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
lebron stopper
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 24,049

Post#54 » by lebron stopper » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:20 am

RCM88x wrote:
Jazz9 wrote:What's the reasoning behind Love's re-signing because I don't get it tbh

Dan Gilbert wanted to put up a facade of not taking and trying to keep people interested in the team, perhaps a bit of wanting to avoid a 2011 situation.

However, its probably going to screw the franchise over long term. I mean, idk, not like any FA will ever come here so its not a huge issue, and KLove isn't a "terrible" player, just going to hinder the team financially and in terms of roster freedom for a while. I appreciate Love's want to stay here for the long term, but I'm not sure if he knew what he was getting into with this. This is a Cleveland pro sports team WITHOUT Lebron, aka you're sports life and luck is going to be **** awful no matter how hard you work. Obviously only 3 games, but I just don't know how this is ever going to work, roster is a mess of average or below average rotation players, many of which are not getting better anytime soon.

Cedi might be the one bright spot, just because he's fun to watch and perhaps has the potential to be an low tier AS caliber player, but outside of that.... just don't really see what this team has for the future of even the current. Just a tough spot really... but one they put themselves in by running the franchise poorly and making many poor decisions, having below average staff, etc.... Just ain't gonna work like that in the NBA, or any pro league.

At least the Browns and Tribe have sort of learned that recently, but I'm not convinced Gilbert's ego will allow him to make such decisions, or if he's even smart enough to do so.

Imagine if the Cavaliers still had Kyrie Irving, instead of whatever the hell garbage they have left from trading him away.

Cavaliers somehow turned:

- Kyrie Irving
- Channing Frye
- Derrick Rose
- Iman Shumpert
- 25th pick (Moritz Wagner)
- Two second round picks in 2020 and 2024

into:

- Jordan Clarkson - chucker (reincarnation of Jamal Crawful: awful defense, inefficient iso scoring, awful playmaking)
- Larry Nance Jr. - probably the only good acquisition here
- George Hill - horribly washed up
- Rodney Hood - needs to take a lot of shots in order to be useful, isn't a particularly good defender either
- Ante Zizic - never gets any minutes
- 8th pick (Collin Sexton) - will never come anywhere near close to Kyrie Irving

and not only did lots of people (including Celtics fans themselves) think trading away Kyrie Irving for the damaged corpse of Isaiah Thomas and the malcontent Jae Crowder was an amazing idea for the Cavaliers, but lots of people also thought attaching a first round pick to Isaiah Thomas to acquire the bad contract of a no-defense chucker and an energy big role player was an amazing idea as well. Except giving expiring contracts to the Lakers and freeing up their cap space by taking away their non-expiring contracts helped pave the way for LeBron James to go to LA and leave Cleveland in the process. Oops.

This is horrendous amateur hour management from Dan Gilbert and Koby Altman. The Kyrie Irving trade to the Celtics will go down as one of the worst trades of the decade - I think it will eventually be put up there with that awful James Harden trade that was basically the beginning of the end for OKC. This is not the first time I'm saying this either. It's a truly horrific trade that set the Cavaliers down the wrong path for years to come. That trade, plus LeBron's departure, destroyed any remaining viability as a franchise that they had.

RCM88x wrote:Cedi might be the one bright spot, just because he's fun to watch and perhaps has the potential to be an low tier AS caliber player

He's really the lone bright spot that the Cavaliers have at the moment. A true diamond in the rough, while the $30 million man Kevin Love is busy mucking things up with poor defense and poor efficiency as the first option, and guys like Clarkson and Hood and Sexton get free reign to hijack the offense to put up empty points.

Cedi Osman's really well rounded as a young player: he actually plays sound defense, has pretty good fundamentals and some high basketball IQ, and he plays hard and does very subtle but useful things that don't show up on the stat sheet. He doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective either: he can spot up for three and cut to the rim and run the floor well. That's a great base or starting point for him: it means his absolute (albeit unlikely) ceiling on paper is someone who can make a significant impact on winning games.

As you can see, I like him a lot, and the fact that he was able to play well and hold his own against the likes of Kawhi Leonard and Jimmy Butler in his first two games as a sophomore player shows that there could perhaps be more to him than being just a well-rounded role player.
The Flying Gent
Veteran
And1: 1,275

Post#55 » by The Flying Gent » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:38 am

If he puts up the numbers he's likely to he should be very movable, no?
Chuck Everett
RealGM
And1: 10,801

Post#56 » by Chuck Everett » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:53 am

The season just started last Tuesday. These guys have been playing Lebron ball for four years. Can we slow the f down?
"Kill 'em with Grindness."
RCM88x
RealGM

Post#57 » by RCM88x » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:01 am

lebron stopper wrote:
RCM88x wrote:

Dan Gilbert wanted to put up a facade of not taking and trying to keep people interested in the team, perhaps a bit of wanting to avoid a 2011 situation.

Imagine if the Cavaliers still had Kyrie Irving, instead of whatever the hell garbage they have left from trading him away.

Cavaliers somehow turned:

- Kyrie Irving
- Channing Frye
- Derrick Rose
- Iman Shumpert
- 25th pick (Moritz Wagner)
- Two second round picks in 2020 and 2024

into:

- Jordan Clarkson - chucker (reincarnation of Jamal Crawful: awful defense, inefficient iso scoring, awful playmaking)
- Larry Nance Jr. - probably the only good acquisition here
- George Hill - horribly washed up
- Rodney Hood - needs to take a lot of shots in order to be useful, isn't a particularly good defender either
- Ante Zizic - never gets any minutes
- 8th pick (Collin Sexton) - will never come anywhere near close to Kyrie Irving

and not only did lots of people (including Celtics fans themselves) think trading away Kyrie Irving for the damaged corpse of Isaiah Thomas and the malcontent Jae Crowder was an amazing idea for the Cavaliers, but lots of people also thought attaching a first round pick to Isaiah Thomas to acquire the bad contract of a no-defense chucker and an energy big role player was an amazing idea as well. Except giving expiring contracts to the Lakers and freeing up their cap space by taking away their non-expiring contracts helped pave the way for LeBron James to go to LA and leave Cleveland in the process. Oops.

This is horrendous amateur hour management from Dan Gilbert and Koby Altman. The Kyrie Irving trade to the Celtics will go down as one of the worst trades of the decade - I think it will eventually be put up there with that awful James Harden trade that was basically the beginning of the end for OKC. This is not the first time I'm saying this either. It's a truly horrific trade that set the Cavaliers down the wrong path for years to come. That trade, plus LeBron's departure, destroyed any remaining viability as a franchise that they had.

RCM88x wrote:Cedi might be the one bright spot, just because he's fun to watch and perhaps has the potential to be an low tier AS caliber player

He's really the lone bright spot that the Cavaliers have at the moment. A true diamond in the rough, while the $30 million man Kevin Love is busy mucking things up with poor defense and poor efficiency as the first option, and guys like Clarkson and Hood and Sexton get free reign to hijack the offense to put up empty points.

Cedi Osman's really well rounded as a young player: he actually plays sound defense, has pretty good fundamentals and some high basketball IQ, and he plays hard and does very subtle but useful things that don't show up on the stat sheet. He doesn't need the ball in his hands to be effective either: he can spot up for three and cut to the rim and run the floor well. That's a great base or starting point for him: it means his absolute (albeit unlikely) ceiling on paper is someone who can make a significant impact on winning games.

As you can see, I like him a lot, and the fact that he was able to play well and hold his own against the likes of Kawhi Leonard and Jimmy Butler in his first two games as a sophomore player shows that there could perhaps be more to him than being just a well-rounded role player.

Yeah, the Kyrie trade was really the beginning of the end... or rather dumping Griffin for no real reason? At the time I felt like the moment they had to ask for more in the deal after learning of IT's true status, that it would probably have been a better idea to call the deal off. Would have made the C's look like **** and could have put the Cavs in a better position to make a different deal. But yeah, getting negatives out of IT and Crowder really set them on a bad path. They were just horrible for us, for whatever reason. Idk if it was some mental block or culture issue or something, but it seemed they both made the team more toxic and contributed negatively on the court.

Idk, I could probably go on for ages talking about how clueless this organization is from top to bottom, but there's really no point.

Somehow the fact that Lebron was able to actually win a championship here with such a cast of clowns is really still amazing to me. Not sure if we're quite on the Kings level yet, but with Gilbert that's certainly a possibility. But at least they don't try and convince themselves and the media that they're actually playing for something and have a minor sliver of reality in them.

Just feel bad for the players mostly, all of the would be better off career wise in a different place, except for maybe Love lol. They work hard and deserve better.

UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,783

Post#58 » by UcanUwill » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:03 am

LeBron is truly the goat
Dupp
RealGM
And1: 66,679

Post#59 » by Dupp » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:54 am

Anyone that paid attention last year knew the cavs would suck this season. Some people just wanted them to do well to discredit Lebron but yeah we suck. Tanking whether we want to or not
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,591

Post#60 » by AK47MVP » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:30 am

got blown by Atlanta lol. I said they are bottom 3 team and that is not going to change.

Return to The General Board