Resting is already getting annoying

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,452

Re: Resting is already getting annoying 

Post#201 » by dhsilv2 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:32 pm

doc slivers wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
infintybeyond wrote:Why is this a fan problem? They have 1st class travel accommodations to ensure they get enough rest. Maybe they shouldn't stay out all night when they have a game coming up. NBA players are extremely pampered.

Players playing demonstrably worse when they're tired, or perhaps getting injured and missing substantial time, isn't a fan problem?

There's nothing definitive that absolutely everybody agrees on, but again, there's just an ocean of data that links injury and declining performance to fatigue. Unless you think it's a complete coincidence why somebody like Allen Iverson, after playing huge minutes and was repeatedly injured throughout his career finally broke down at 32, while somebody like Tim Duncan, who had his minutes and workload carefully managed throughout his 30s, was still an impact player at 40.

As a Spurs fan, I GLADLY would have taken four or five extra high-quality seasons from a future Hall-of-Famer if it means he played fewer minutes and skipped a handful of back-to-backs per season. If that means some road crowds get screwed, I legit feel bad for them, but ultimately I couldn't care less.

On top of that if you are a fan who gets upset that you didn't get to see Tim Duncan in a throwaway regular season game you need to re-evaluate your priorities.

Maybe that was that pereson's first and only chance in their life to see their favorite player play? They planned it out months in advance. They flew to a city or drove for 5+ hours, had to save up a lot of money for them all to see their favorite player in the world...and he didn't play.

Duncan was one of my favorite players ever and I never saw him play. Now I never really cared enough to do so, but if I'd made an effort and he missed the game, that would have been pretty massively disappointing.
Da ThRONe
Veteran
And1: 1,886

Post#202 » by Da ThRONe » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:35 pm

More reason for a 60 game season. Two games a week.
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#203 » by RaptorsLife » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:39 pm

LOL wizards fans who to paid to watch Kawhi Leonard and didn't get to see him.

Should be more mad at how bad there team is. Proud on floor
Raptors til death
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#204 » by dhsilv2 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:48 pm

dautjazz wrote:
Teal25 wrote:thERe huMANs TOo
And?
Companies who are also human beings pay a lot of ad money for these matchups. Fans who are excited about seeing their favorite players are humans too.

Hayward is the only one I get because I don’t even think he should be back this early and is expected.

Teams know their schedule better than us. How about not playing a guy 30+ minutes when you know you have a back to back? There is no excuse for this. Just manage minutes properly.

Or why can’t they just play the first half like all other sports do if they want to rest their players?

When the NBA starts releasing press releases like a Kardashian about how much ad money they get from advertisers, I’ll know it’s all smokes and mirrors.

LOL seriously this kids saying they are human, I'm going to start taking a day off every other week for "rest", that way I can perform at a higher level, but this is on top of my weekends, holidays, vacation, sick days, and personal day, because I'm only human, oh and I expect to be paid too.

I certainly leave early from work a few times a month because I'm a bit burned out. Mind you i just sit at a desk all day. I recommend it to my staff too. Once you're shot if you don't have a deadline, get out and rest up for the next day. No reason to work more hours if you're not at your best.
Ryoga Hibiki
RealGM
And1: 6,541

Post#205 » by Ryoga Hibiki » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:50 pm

NBA players play too often and too many meaningless games. It's rational to have them resting so that they will be at their best when it will matter.
Don't hate the players, hate the game.

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using Tapatalk
Слава Украине!
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,274

Post#206 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:06 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
doc slivers wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
Players playing demonstrably worse when they're tired, or perhaps getting injured and missing substantial time, isn't a fan problem?

There's nothing definitive that absolutely everybody agrees on, but again, there's just an ocean of data that links injury and declining performance to fatigue. Unless you think it's a complete coincidence why somebody like Allen Iverson, after playing huge minutes and was repeatedly injured throughout his career finally broke down at 32, while somebody like Tim Duncan, who had his minutes and workload carefully managed throughout his 30s, was still an impact player at 40.

As a Spurs fan, I GLADLY would have taken four or five extra high-quality seasons from a future Hall-of-Famer if it means he played fewer minutes and skipped a handful of back-to-backs per season. If that means some road crowds get screwed, I legit feel bad for them, but ultimately I couldn't care less.

On top of that if you are a fan who gets upset that you didn't get to see Tim Duncan in a throwaway regular season game you need to re-evaluate your priorities.

Maybe that was that pereson's first and only chance in their life to see their favorite player play? They planned it out months in advance. They flew to a city or drove for 5+ hours, had to save up a lot of money for them all to see their favorite player in the world...and he didn't play.

Duncan was one of my favorite players ever and I never saw him play. Now I never really cared enough to do so, but if I'd made an effort and he missed the game, that would have been pretty massively disappointing.

Wouldn't you be more disappointed if he got injured and your favourite TEAM got bounced in the first round of the playoffs?

Only casual fans care about seeing star players play. Real fans care about seeing their team succeed in the playoffs.
Vlade Divac
Head Coach
And1: 7,602

Post#207 » by Vlade Divac » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:28 pm

We did not need Kawhi versus Washington scrubs.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#208 » by dhsilv2 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:18 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
doc slivers wrote:

Wouldn't you be more disappointed if he got injured and your favourite TEAM got bounced in the first round of the playoffs?

Only casual fans care about seeing star players play. Real fans care about seeing their team succeed in the playoffs.

I don't have a team (and I never will have one in any pro sport) and to be blunt if someone planned a huge event with travel and cost to see a player, yeah that would be worse.
SomeBunghole
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,493

Post#209 » by SomeBunghole » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:23 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:Maybe that was that pereson's first and only chance in their life to see their favorite player play? They planned it out months in advance. They flew to a city or drove for 5+ hours, had to save up a lot of money for them all to see their favorite player in the world...and he didn't play.

I saw Tom Petty twice and neither time did he play my favourite song. I wasn't massively disappointed because I like more than one of his songs.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#210 » by dhsilv2 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:27 pm

SomeBunghole wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:Maybe that was that pereson's first and only chance in their life to see their favorite player play? They planned it out months in advance. They flew to a city or drove for 5+ hours, had to save up a lot of money for them all to see their favorite player in the world...and he didn't play.

I saw Tom Petty twice and neither time did he play my favourite song. I wasn't massively disappointed because I like more than one of his songs.

But you saw Tom Petty, not his back up right?
An Unbiased Fan
RealGM
And1: 5,510

Post#211 » by An Unbiased Fan » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:41 pm

Vlade Divac wrote:We did not need Kawhi versus Washington scrubs.

Who's we? That's like saying we didn't need Kobe dropping 81 against the Raps. :lol:

NBA is an entertainment product, so why should Washington/Toronto fans who pay money for tickets be screwed? It's easy for TV watchers to say who cares since they can just turn the channel.
7-time RealGM MVPoster 2009-2016
Inducted into RealGM HOF 1st ballot in 2017
Side beard
Analyst
And1: 2,297

Post#212 » by Side beard » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:48 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
Coachcavplaya23 wrote:
WeTheNorth123 wrote:For the raptors you also have to consider they have a game on monday, and i think wednesday too.

He played pretty big minutes against boston and cavs as well

Leonard could just stop being soft. They get paid this much money to play in many games as possible for entertainment purposes. If he can’t play just because he is tired then he should get the **** out of the league. They had the entire off season for rest.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

It's not a matter of softness, or being "tired." There's no doubt he could suit up and play 40 good minutes tonight if it was critical. It's about teams managing work loads over the course of an eight-month marathon and trying to keep players fresh, especially one whose stamina probably isn't close to where it needs to be after barely played last year. Are they being overcautious? Maybe so. But the Raptors have much, much bigger goals than winning games in October, so this shouldn't be THAT surprising.

Get out.

Do you know anything about minute management? If its not about winning games in October, then why the **** these star players have to play 38-40 minutes in consecutive games?

Logic, aint one.

Also what if Kawhi, Hayward or whoever else was the third one, gets injured the next game after rest?

Will you write it off on how tough the schedule is?

Resting players in first half of the season is bull that should not be allowed. And you will not talk out of this nonsense.
SomeBunghole
Pro Prospect

Post#213 » by SomeBunghole » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:00 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:But you saw Tom Petty, not his back up right?

I'm a fan of the band, not one guy or one song. Just like I'm a fan of the Jazz and not Rudy Gobert or Donovan Mitchell. I was a fan before DM was born. I didn't grow up dreaming of going to see Mitchell play, I grew up dreaming of going to see the Jazz play. Whoever was on the floor.
RalphWiggum
RealGM
And1: 8,224

Post#214 » by RalphWiggum » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:05 pm

The NBA season is too long. Go to a 66 game season (4 games against your division, 2 games against everyone else) and get rid of back to backs. Teams have way too much money invested in these players compared to the past so they're extra cautious. In an 82 game season teams are fine throwing away a few games. In a shortened season there would be more urgency to win every game.
Vlade Divac
Head Coach
And1: 7,602

Post#215 » by Vlade Divac » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:09 pm

An Unbiased Fan wrote:

Who's we? That's like saying we didn't need Kobe dropping 81 against the Raps. :lol:

NBA is an entertainment product, so why should Washington/Toronto fans who pay money for tickets be screwed? It's easy for TV watchers to say who cares since they can just turn the channel.

Chill bro! Rondo spit and Ingram cheap head shot ARE definitely worth paying premium ticket even if LeBron had not played.

In all seriousness I think REAL NBA fans are not going to see games because of superstars, but to watch their team. And even if what you are saying is true, I really don’t care if a casual fan gets not to see the “star” if that’s the reason he bought ticket. NBA has enoug fans to survive boycott of casuals.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#216 » by dhsilv2 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:21 pm

SomeBunghole wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:But you saw Tom Petty, not his back up right?

I'm a fan of the band, not one guy or one song. Just like I'm a fan of the Jazz and not Rudy Gobert or Donovan Mitchell. I was a fan before DM was born. I didn't grow up dreaming of going to see Mitchell play, I grew up dreaming of going to see the Jazz play. Whoever was on the floor.

None the less your example would only fit if they had a backup singer in for petty.

It's fine if you can't relate to people who like seeing players, not teams. But that comparison is just absurdly off.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#217 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:46 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

I don't have a team (and I never will have one in any pro sport) and to be blunt if someone planned a huge event with travel and cost to see a player, yeah that would be worse.

So you're the most casual of casual sports fans and that's fine. But some of us are actually invested in our teams and want to see them win.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#218 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:48 pm

An Unbiased Fan wrote:

Basketball is a sport with the goal being to win a championship, not entertain fans of other teams.

And Kobe would have sat out against the Raptors too that day if he was coming off a season-long injury and the game was a B2B.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#219 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:51 pm

Side beard wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
Coachcavplaya23 wrote:
Leonard could just stop being soft. They get paid this much money to play in many games as possible for entertainment purposes. If he can’t play just because he is tired then he should get the **** out of the league. They had the entire off season for rest.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

It's not a matter of softness, or being "tired." There's no doubt he could suit up and play 40 good minutes tonight if it was critical. It's about teams managing work loads over the course of an eight-month marathon and trying to keep players fresh, especially one whose stamina probably isn't close to where it needs to be after barely played last year. Are they being overcautious? Maybe so. But the Raptors have much, much bigger goals than winning games in October, so this shouldn't be THAT surprising.

Get out.

Do you know anything about minute management? If its not about winning games in October, then why the **** these star players have to play 38-40 minutes in consecutive games?

Logic, aint one.

Also what if Kawhi, Hayward or whoever else was the third one, gets injured the next game after rest?

Will you write it off on how tough the schedule is?

Resting players in first half of the season is bull that should not be allowed. And you will not talk out of this nonsense.

Why shouldn't it be allowed?

- Players coming off prolonged injuries/rest are more likely to re-injure themselves. This is a scientific fact. Sports teams pay millions of dollars to the world's foremost medical experts to help them decide when to rest players.

- These players are assets that need to be protected. Sports team owners are not in the business of losing money.

- The players themselves, who live and work in a liberal democracy with labour laws, are also allowed to protect their own self-interests as employees. Therefore, players do not want to get injured as it could mean reduced salary on their next contract.

Your sense of entitlement because you paid $50 for a ticket does not factor into this equation and never will.
SomeBunghole
Pro Prospect

Post#220 » by SomeBunghole » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:51 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:It's fine if you can't relate to people who like seeing players, not teams. But that comparison is just absurdly off.

Ok fine. I saw Black Sabbath 2 years ago, and instead of Bill Ward playing drums, they had some guy from RATM. I've seen multiple bands from the 70s or 80s with different lineups. It's something to be expected. Just like if you plan to go see a team a year ahead, a player might be traded, injured, rested, or suspended.

It just seems crazy to me that you'd plan to go see a single player play and be completely unaware of all the different reasons he might not play. And you're right, I cannot relate at all to someone who would fly out to see a player and not care about the team at all. I mean, this is a team sport we're talking about. It's not tennis.

Return to The General Board