Resting is already getting annoying

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,647

Re: Resting is already getting annoying 

Post#41 » by nomansland » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:07 pm

I have no problem with teams resting players. Basketball is a team sport and I don't watch it for stars.

And if it prevents injuries and fatigue, great.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#42 » by MGrand15 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:08 pm

Coachcavplaya23 wrote:
WeTheNorth123 wrote:For the raptors you also have to consider they have a game on monday, and i think wednesday too.

He played pretty big minutes against boston and cavs as well

Leonard could just stop being soft. They get paid this much money to play in many games as possible for entertainment purposes. If he can’t play just because he is tired then he should get the **** out of the league. They had the entire off season for rest.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Yeah this is definitely Kawhi's call. Toronto pays a medical and training team millions so Kawhi can ultimately make up his own schedule.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,269

Post#43 » by Dan Z » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:09 pm

WeTheNorth123 wrote:For the raptors you also have to consider they have a game on monday, and i think wednesday too.

Then why can't he play limited minutes tonight?
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,670

Post#44 » by hype_2004 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:09 pm

DTP wrote:No Leonard, Butler, or Hayward tonight due to resting......we aren't even a week into the damn season yet. My goodness I hate the softness of this league. Do NHL guys rest this much?

Btw Hayward is totally fine...I get that. The other two, especially Leonard, just annoys me. Robbed of such a good matchup tonight with Wizards/Raptors because they're resting a guy who's played less than 20 games in two years.....yeah that's what he needs, more rest!

Blame the NBA, teams gotta do the best thing to protect their players from injuries and increasing their longevity for the long haul.
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,037

Post#45 » by vxmike » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:12 pm

Ridiculous. Fans should start boycotts games with bogus "resting".

I was going to watch Dallas/Minny tonight on LP because I like Butler and wanted to check out Doncic. Now I'm going to watch a different game.
hype_2004
RealGM

Post#46 » by hype_2004 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:15 pm

DTP wrote:
First Step wrote:Don't sweat it so much man!

This league markets stars, not teams. I am 95% sure when the Wizards were trying to sell tickets to this game it was come watch John Wall and your Wizards take on Kawhi Leonard and the Toronto Raptors.....that's how it is. Kawhi top 5 player in the league...prices go up. So for a family of 4- 4 tickets at $50 each is $200 alone in tickets. Not to mention paying for parking....paying for gas to get to the arena, some people travel far that they have to spend on hotels and stuff. Going to games aint cheap at all and when guys are healthy they should play. It's understandable come March and April but it's freaking October 20th.

Then file a complaint and get a refund, you have that as a consumer.
DTP
General Manager
And1: 6,765

Post#47 » by DTP » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:16 pm

vxmike wrote:Ridiculous. Fans should start boycotts games with bogus "resting".

I was going to watch Dallas/Minny tonight on LP because I like Butler and wanted to check out Doncic. Now I'm going to watch a different game.

You weren't going to watch the Bulls game? lol
doc slivers
Ballboy
And1: 163

Post#48 » by doc slivers » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:16 pm

Resting creates a better product because you don't have players mailing in games that they do play as often. It's easy to see that their energy level is higher when they are well rested.
DTP
General Manager

Post#49 » by DTP » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:17 pm

doc slivers wrote:Resting creates a better product because you don't have players mailing in games that they do play as often. It's easy to see that their energy level is higher when they are well rested.

No it isnt, stop making things up.
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,037

Post#50 » by vxmike » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:17 pm

DTP wrote:

I am.....then Dallas/Minny then Rockets/Lakers. Have only seen a couple games thus far due to working a ton of OT. I record them on DVR then fast forward halftime and commercials.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 41,040

Post#51 » by Sedale Threatt » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:18 pm

MGrand15 wrote:
Coachcavplaya23 wrote:

Leonard could just stop being soft. They get paid this much money to play in many games as possible for entertainment purposes. If he can’t play just because he is tired then he should get the **** out of the league. They had the entire off season for rest.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Yeah this is definitely Kawhi's call. Toronto pays a medical and training team millions so Kawhi can ultimately make up his own schedule.

I mean, to be fair, he did it last year. :D

But seriously, yes, teams are getting more and more serious about taking a scientific approach to this stuff.

I know there are a bunch of teams that do this -- it's big in soccer, too -- but the Spurs have their players where these tracking harnesses during training camp so they can establish a kind of individual data baseline. Presumably they're all as fit and healthy as they're going to be given they had all offseason to rest up. When player X is fresh, he runs this fast at peak speed, he runs this fast at average, he covers this much court space per game, etc etc. And then they continue to monitor as the season wears on, and when players are noticeably declining they'll sit them down.

I definitely know there was an instance back in 2015 or 2016 where Kerr sat a bunch of his guys for an important game late in the season because the medical staff saw they were wearing down.

It's a tough issue with the fans and ticket prices, but if this stuff can help it only makes sense for teams to want to protect their investments. And people need to realize it's not just about a particular game or season. It's about trying to stretch players' overall careers out, which obviously benefits all parties. Players have longer windows to make money, and teams get more long-term mileage out of players.
Trippinskarlo
Rookie
And1: 1,326

Post#52 » by Trippinskarlo » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:18 pm

SlovenianDragon wrote:
Trippinskarlo wrote:The organizations should refund a percentage of ticket price to the consumer. Want to rest players? Fine, but don't falsely advertise a product and charge like it's the same quality. What if you got dubs tickets that are insanely expensive and they rest Durant and curry? I would be furious.

like this?

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/10/17/6994201/robert-sarver-apologizes-suns-fans-gift-spurs

Yes exactly. Hopefully all the teams management gets on board with that.
DTP
General Manager

Post#53 » by DTP » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:18 pm

hype_2004 wrote:
DTP wrote:
First Step wrote:Don't sweat it so much man!

This league markets stars, not teams. I am 95% sure when the Wizards were trying to sell tickets to this game it was come watch John Wall and your Wizards take on Kawhi Leonard and the Toronto Raptors.....that's how it is. Kawhi top 5 player in the league...prices go up. So for a family of 4- 4 tickets at $50 each is $200 alone in tickets. Not to mention paying for parking....paying for gas to get to the arena, some people travel far that they have to spend on hotels and stuff. Going to games aint cheap at all and when guys are healthy they should play. It's understandable come March and April but it's freaking October 20th.

I'd be complaining to the wrong team. Why should the home team have to refund tickets for the road team being soft? I'm just going to not watch the game.....mhm, taking my ball and going home.
doc slivers
Ballboy
And1: 163

Post#54 » by doc slivers » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:19 pm

DTP wrote:
doc slivers wrote:Resting creates a better product because you don't have players mailing in games that they do play as often. It's easy to see that their energy level is higher when they are well rested.

You're right, their energy is the exact same on the 4th game in 5 nights as it is after 3 days off. :banghead: :crazy: :nonono:
hype_2004
RealGM

Post#55 » by hype_2004 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:20 pm

DTP wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:
DTP wrote:

I'd be complaining to the wrong team. Why should the home team have to refund tickets for the road team being soft? I'm just going to not watch the game.....mhm, taking my ball and going home.

Blame the NBA, lol, email.Adam Silver like you and me matter, lol
DTP
General Manager

Post#56 » by DTP » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:21 pm

vxmike wrote:
DTP wrote:

I am.....then Dallas/Minny then Rockets/Lakers. Have only seen a couple games thus far due to working a ton of OT. I record them on DVR then fast forward halftime and commercials.

lol I got you. I was actually excited to watch both games (Was/Tor & Dal/Min) but probably not watching either.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#57 » by mattao313 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:21 pm

doc slivers wrote:
DTP wrote:

You're right, their energy is the exact same on the 4th game in 5 nights as it is after 3 days off. :banghead: :crazy: :nonono:

I mean it's still mailing it in when the player isn't playing due to 'resting'.
Championships
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 41,040

Post#58 » by Sedale Threatt » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:21 pm

DTP wrote:

From that article I assume you're not going to read:

If you survey doctors and sports scientists around the world, the NBA's problem stems in large part from chronic lack of sleep, the body's natural performance-enhancing drug. How important is it? A recent Stanford University study found that shooting accuracy improved by 9 percent and 3-point percentage by 9.2 percent after basketball players spent at least 10 hours in bed for nocturnal sleep during a five-to-seven-week period. "We get this nice big surge of testosterone and human growth hormone when we get into deep sleep," Magness says. "The longer the deep sleep phase gets, the more HGH and testosterone you produce."
Axolotl
Starter
And1: 2,201

Post#59 » by Axolotl » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:22 pm

They pay the players millions. Why would they rest them for no reason at all?

Hayward is back from a season ending injury. Kawhi hardly played last season because of injury. Butler's preseason and maybe offseason was... not what it normally is.
From the basketball's perspective, travel is a nice pause from being pounded to the floor.
DTP
General Manager

Post#60 » by DTP » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:22 pm

hype_2004 wrote:
DTP wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:

Blame the NBA, lol, email.Adam Silver like you and me matter, lol

It didnt work when I tried to email him about how crappy League Pass is, I doubt it would work this time.

Return to The General Board