Has Kemba entered the next level?

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Topher
Lead Assistant
And1: 11,467

Re: Has Kemba entered the next level? 

Post#41 » by Topher » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:01 pm

amcoolio wrote:
Topher wrote:Some team should have traded for him in the off season with his contract. Now it’ll cost the farm to land him if this continues. He’s a one man show out there.

Do people just not watch the NBA outside of whats on ESPN/TNT? The Hornets are a different team that last year. They have a young coach who is showing signs of being the next Quin Snyder/Brad Stephens with his offense and defense. The Hornets players aren't bad, they were just incredibly misused by Steve Clifford who still wants to play early 2000's ball.

Its not a "one man show" anymore. Malik Monk is good enough to be a great 2nd option, and Charlotte has above average role players.

I’m a Raptors fan so no.
Based on the numbers Kemba is putting up, yes it has been a one man show so far. The roster is basically still the same. But you’re right, a new coach could light a spark in the players.
If Malik Monk is your second option then your team is in trouble or you don’t plan on making the playoffs. What exactly is an above average role player? What are you basing that on? Nothing special about their role players.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,201

Post#42 » by amcoolio » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:10 pm

Topher wrote:
amcoolio wrote:
Topher wrote:Some team should have traded for him in the off season with his contract. Now it’ll cost the farm to land him if this continues. He’s a one man show out there.

Do people just not watch the NBA outside of whats on ESPN/TNT? The Hornets are a different team that last year. They have a young coach who is showing signs of being the next Quin Snyder/Brad Stephens with his offense and defense. The Hornets players aren't bad, they were just incredibly misused by Steve Clifford who still wants to play early 2000's ball.

Its not a "one man show" anymore. Malik Monk is good enough to be a great 2nd option, and Charlotte has above average role players.

I’m a Raptors fan so no.
Based on the numbers Kemba is putting up, yes it has been a one man show so far. The roster is basically still the same. But you’re right, a new coach could light a spark in the players.
If Malik Monk is your second option then your team is in trouble or you don’t plan on making the playoffs. What exactly is an above average role player? What are you basing that on? Nothing special about their role players.

Have you even seen Malik Monk? What are you basing your cojecture on? No, you haven't, I guess you will on Monday. He can be every bit as good as McCollum with more expereince.

Nothing special about Siakam, OG, VanVleet either then.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
316Hornets
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,731

Post#43 » by 316Hornets » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:28 pm

Whether the Hornets have any players beyond Kemba is irrelevant. Kemba is one of the top players in the league and capable and carrying this team to the ECF.
The Charlotte Hornets will win their first round series against the Boston Celtics in the 2021 Playoffs
Topher
Lead Assistant

Post#44 » by Topher » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:30 pm

amcoolio wrote:
Topher wrote:
amcoolio wrote:

I’m a Raptors fan so no.

Have you even seen Malik Monk? What are you basing your cojecture on? No, you haven't, I guess you will on Monday. He can be every bit as good as McCollum with more expereince.

Try reading again. I never said there was nothing special about Monk. (Although his rookie season was nothing to brag about, sure he can shoot the 3) I said that if he’s your second option then you’re not a playoff team. Yes I’ve seen him play. He’s was okay last year. Limited minutes but I guess he’ll be given more opportunity this season.
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,600

Post#45 » by Green89 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:33 pm

Topher wrote:
amcoolio wrote:
Asif16 wrote:Now trade him to a team thats worth watching

More watchable than the Raptors

3-0. You mad?

Question: how much did that 3-0 banner cost?
Topher
Lead Assistant

Post#46 » by Topher » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:40 pm

Green89 wrote:
Topher wrote:
amcoolio wrote:
More watchable than the Raptors

3-0. You mad?

Question: how much did that 3-0 banner cost?

xxSnEaKyPxx
RealGM
And1: 15,072

Post#47 » by xxSnEaKyPxx » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:40 pm

Kemba has been on the next level. A case could be made that he is the best PG in the East.

I've said that if you flipped the situations the Kemba and Kyrie have been in, where Kemba was playing with LeBron and the Celtics and Kyrie was stuck on the Hornets, the hype around both players would also be reversed.
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,201

Post#48 » by amcoolio » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:42 pm

Topher wrote:
amcoolio wrote:
Topher wrote:
I’m a Raptors fan so no.

Try reading again. I never said there was nothing special about Monk. (Although his rookie season was nothing to brag about, sure he can shoot the 3) I said that if he’s your second option then you’re not a playoff team. Yes I’ve seen him play. He’s was okay last year. Limited minutes but I guess he’ll be given more opportunity this season.

He's a different player this season
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Topher
Lead Assistant

Post#49 » by Topher » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:52 pm

amcoolio wrote:
Topher wrote:
amcoolio wrote:

He's a different player this season

Everybody looks good in a highlight video. But hey I guess I’ll see him up and close on Monday
Hangtime84
RealGM
And1: 4,373

Post#50 » by Hangtime84 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:59 pm

Kemba always been all star worthy now just looking top 10 worthy
Jcool0 wrote:
aguifs wrote:Do we have a friggin plan?

If the Bulls do, you would be complaining to much to ever hear it.

NBA fan logic we need to trade one of two best players because (Player X) one needs to shine more.
Def Leppard
Analyst
And1: 2,217

Post#51 » by Def Leppard » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:23 pm

I'm not sure why people are being dismissive. This is a great start and something to watch

Sent from my SM-A530W using RealGM mobile app
"Rise up, gather round, rock this place, to the ground"
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,200

Post#52 » by babyjax13 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:32 pm

I hope so, he's so likeable. But DeRozan did this last year, too.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
Dante80
Pro Prospect
And1: 842

Post#53 » by Dante80 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:43 am

amcoolio wrote:

Do people just not watch the NBA outside of whats on ESPN/TNT? The Hornets are a different team that last year. They have a young coach who is showing signs of being the next Quin Snyder/Brad Stevens with his offense and defense. The Hornets players aren't bad, they were just incredibly misused by Steve Clifford who still wants to play early 2000's ball.

Watched the Bucks and Heat games with the Hornets. Borrego has been doing a wonderful job so far, and I think that the Hornets are seriously slept on. Yes, Kemba is superlative but the team is actually playing very well too. This is definitely not an one-man-show.

Also, both games I watched were extremely interesting nailbiters, with good basketball to boot. What more do you want?
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,317

Post#54 » by Triple7 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:53 am

nah! too early to say!
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,001

Post#55 » by iggymcfrack » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:54 am

He’s having a breakthrough start for sure. I wouldn’t be surprised if he takes over for Lowry as best PG in the East this season.
mowcrowbar
General Manager
And1: 4,171

Post#56 » by mowcrowbar » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:15 am

Depends on what "next level" is. Is he better than Irving/Wall/Lowry/Paul/Curry/Lillard/or Westbrook? No. As unfortunate as it is, his team is always the definition of a treadmill, he'll need to come up big in the playoffs for it to significantly matter.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#57 » by The_Hater » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:21 pm

316Hornets wrote:3 games in and Kemba is flaming hot. Only played 3 qtrs last night for 27 points. 41 and 39 in the other 2. Shooting 48 percent and won the game tonight.

2 seasons ago Derozan came out of the gate red hot, first 12 games he was averaging a very efficient 33.0 ppg. Eventually he settled back into being the same old Derozan.

Hard to tell at this point if it’s just a hot streak or a new level but with vets it’s usualky just hot steak.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
peralta
Bench Warmer
And1: 894

Post#58 » by peralta » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:42 pm

Hornets play the Raptors tonight...if the OP is right about everything then this should be a good game. with that said Kemba always plays his A game vs the Raps..Im interested to see how the rest of the squad plays under their new coach.
liveod
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,082

Post#59 » by liveod » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:44 pm

I always thought Kemba had the potential to take it to the next level. I don't watch him enough to know if he is consistently on that level or not, but he is incredibly talented. There is no denying that.
Celtics_Champs wrote:Abby Chin always looks good. She blocked me on Twitter and to this day I have no idea and I never said anything to her. One day I will see her on sidelines and ask her why oh why.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#60 » by jason bourne » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:16 pm

I think Kemba's going off because of the new coach James Borrego. He's opened up the game.

Don't write off Jeremy Lamb just yet because of the rise of Monk. The competition should be good for him. He's going to fight hard to keep his job. Still only 26. There should be minutes for Monk off the bench under Borrego because of small ball. Clifford's offense was old as the hills. Glad they canned his arse.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage

Return to The General Board