JJ Barea is the most underappreciated player in recent NBA history

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Wizenheimer
RealGM
And1: 7,312

Re: JJ Barea is the most underappreciated player in recent NBA history 

Post#21 » by Wizenheimer » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:00 am

Barea deserves respect, but the thread title is way over the top

Don Buse, TR Dunn, Bobby Jones, Bob Gross, Jack Sikma, Norm Van Lier...there are probably dozens of players in NBA history who were as, or more, impactful as Barea, and just as "underappreciated"
PharmD
Head Coach
And1: 5,536

Post#22 » by PharmD » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:23 am

No.

Sincerely,
Wolves fans
andyhop
Analyst
And1: 1,274

Post#23 » by andyhop » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:56 am

The way he has turned being replacement level into $36m deserves a lot of respect
"Football is not a matter of life and death...it's much more important than that."- Bill Shankley
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
And1: 18,813

Post#24 » by HeartBreakKid » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:00 am

jojo152433 wrote:
Jonny Blaze wrote:
Jonathan starks wrote:Definitely respect his career. That guy worked his butt of...I could imagine. Not only is he small and unathletic, he has alligator arms. The funny thing is even after he proved himself as an nba player, there were still fans that ripped on him

There is nothing "unathletic" about JJ Barea.

It is impossible to stick in the NBA at his size if you are not a great athlete.

This.

People can't seem to measure athleticism without looking at height, wingspan and jumping ability.

Many people still undervalue players like Barea because they can't seem to look past the jawdropping variants of athleticism. Lowry is another player whose athleticism goes unnoticed.

Fact is, everybody in the NBA is a freak athlete - even the scrubs - or they wouldn't be there.

What you're saying doesn't make any sense. Whether you are good at something is relative to others - do you think people are comparing Kyle Lowry and JJ Barea to people at a YMCA? Relative to notable NBA talent they are not great athletes.
jpengland
Head Coach
And1: 6,536

Post#25 » by jpengland » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:57 am

I both love and hate him.

Gotta respect his heart and desire. He's got every last ounce out of his potential and I'm sure he'd be the first to give full credit to Rick and Dirk.
pootbrah
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Post#26 » by pootbrah » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:08 am

love to hate him tbh. He annoys the **** out of me to watch but I can't deny he somehow manages to get buckets.

Ohhh similar views as guy above I see. In that Dallas championship run I used to moan whenever he touched the ball hahahaha. Just give it to Dirk but again he's somehow effective.
Jno
Sixth Man
And1: 3,074

Post#27 » by Jno » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:26 am

Last yr he was destroying the Raptors in the first half by himself, but they were tanking so he never played in the 2nd half again. Raptors won lool
Triple7
RealGM
And1: 8,318

Post#28 » by Triple7 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:16 am

Nope! he’s been playing more than a decade and earned close to 40M. If that’s not appreciation i don’t know what is. Stop with this silly thread.
Jonny Blaze
Veteran
And1: 1,409

Post#29 » by Jonny Blaze » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:34 am

Jonathan starks wrote:
jojo152433 wrote:
Jonny Blaze wrote:

It is impossible to stick in the NBA at his size if you are not a great athlete.

This.

People can't seem to measure athleticism without looking at height, wingspan and jumping ability.

Many people still undervalue players like Barea because they can't seem to look past the jawdropping variants of athleticism. Lowry is another player whose athleticism goes unnoticed.

Fact is, everybody in the NBA is a freak athlete - even the scrubs - or they wouldn't be there.

That’s silly. Of course everyone is a good athlete in the NBA, but by NBA standards JJ Barea is well below average in that department.

No offense, but you do not really know what you are talking about.

There is no way you could make the moves he makes to the basket if you were not a great, gifted athlete.

its impossible.

A below average NBA athlete would be a plodding center (Shawn Bradley), or an overweight BIG (Oliver Miller). It might be the backup 2-3 that only sits in the corner and shoots threes.

JJ is extremely quick and obviously has a high amount of fast twitch muscle fibers. That is the mark of a gifted athlete. I don't know of any NBA player under 6 ft who is not a fantastic athlete.
wolves_89
Head Coach
And1: 3,934

Post#30 » by wolves_89 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:02 pm

For Dallas Barea has been a good player, for Minnesota not so much. After three poor seasons with the Wolves it was seen as a good move to buyout the final year of his contract rather than keep him.
DAWill1128
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,685

Post#31 » by DAWill1128 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:11 pm

Amazes me how he just continuously beats his man off the dribble everytime he has the ball, even after this mant years. I think he is the quickest guy in the NBA with the ball, in 2011 it wasn't even close.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,047

Post#32 » by The_Hater » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:28 pm

Jonathan starks wrote:
jojo152433 wrote:
Jonny Blaze wrote:

This.

That’s silly. Of course everyone is a good athlete in the NBA, but by NBA standards JJ Barea is well below average in that department.

His quickness is actually well above average. Here was one of his scouting reports from when he was drafted.

Physically, Barea makes up for his smallish stature to a certain extent with his excellent quickness as well as his outstanding basketball instincts - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Jose-Juan-Barea-NBA-Draft-Scouting-Report-2788/ ©DraftExpress

Pick any other scouting report and they will say something similar, and he remains a very quick NBA player today. As previously mentioned, you don’t stick in the NBA as a sub 6 footer without being a good athlete.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Minnesotadrake
Sophomore
And1: 94

Post#33 » by Minnesotadrake » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:38 pm

One of those guys that you love when he's on your team and hate when you play against him! I remember when he got into a skirmish with Ray Allen....glad he didn't back down!
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#34 » by Johnlac1 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:03 pm

Jonny Blaze wrote:
Jonathan starks wrote:Definitely respect his career. That guy worked his butt of...I could imagine. Not only is he small and unathletic, he has alligator arms. The funny thing is even after he proved himself as an nba player, there were still fans that ripped on him

Barea is one of those players who is not real fast but who is very quick. Quick and fearless. That's why he looks great at times and awful at others. He's sort of a gunner who can shoot you in or out of a game. Right now what he's doing is helping the Mavs.
Johnlac1
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,605

Post#35 » by Johnlac1 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:08 pm

Wizenheimer wrote:Barea deserves respect, but the thread title is way over the top

Don Buse, TR Dunn, Bobby Jones, Bob Gross, Jack Sikma, Norm Van Lier...there are probably dozens of players in NBA history who were as, or more, impactful as Barea, and just as "underappreciated"
Norm Van Lier....now that's a blast from the past. Van Lier played alongside Jerry Sloan for a number of years at Chicago. Both played with the intensity that bordered on lunacy with both drawing numerous technical fouls and ejections.
Van LIer wasn't much of a shooter, but he was a better defensive player than Barea and a better all around player.

Return to The General Board