WHO will end up better: Julius Randle or Aaron Gordon?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Brighter future

Randle
44%
Gordon
56%

Total votes: 189

jmnvcavs
Rookie
And1: 947

Re: WHO will end up better: Julius Randle or Aaron Gordon? 

Post#61 » by jmnvcavs » Tue Dec 4, 2018 9:10 pm

I like Gordon much more because of his ability to play both ends of the floor.
LarryJoeDuncan
Freshman
And1: 106

Post#62 » by LarryJoeDuncan » Tue Dec 4, 2018 9:11 pm

Min Pts FG 3pt Reb Ast Stl Blk
GORDON: 32.2 16.1 48.5 35.6 7.2 2.6 1.0 0.9
RANDLE: 26.6 18.3 54.9 31.8 9.0 2.7 0.6 0.6

Based purely on numbers I have to go with Randle. No doubt Gordon has the talent but something is missing - still very young but I want to see the fire in his eyes. Randle has that fire, less talent but it seems like he can be a leader. Gordon should clearly be the best player on his team but he is not and that says something.

Lakers should have kept Randle and got rid of Ingram. Randle would feast next to Lebron.
Larry Bird is the second best player of all time
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,168

Post#63 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Tue Dec 4, 2018 9:43 pm

LarryJoeDuncan wrote:Min Pts FG 3pt Reb Ast Stl Blk

Based purely on numbers I have to go with Randle. No doubt Gordon has the talent but something is missing - still very young but I want to see the fire in his eyes. Randle has that fire, less talent but it seems like he can be a leader. Gordon should clearly be the best player on his team but he is not and that says something.

Lakers should have kept Randle and got rid of Ingram. Randle would feast next to Lebron.

probably true but dude plays next to Anthony Davis. **** GOAT big. noone is paying attention to Randle lol
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,066

Post#64 » by Lalouie » Tue Dec 4, 2018 10:09 pm

Julius.
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#65 » by NoZoLakers » Tue Dec 4, 2018 10:14 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

probably true but dude plays next to Anthony Davis. **** GOAT big. noone is paying attention to Randle lol
randle lut up 16/8 in la last season, who was taking attention away from him then?
metalinguss
Veteran
And1: 1,833

Post#66 » by metalinguss » Tue Dec 4, 2018 10:20 pm

PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,228

Post#67 » by PistolPeteJR » Wed Dec 5, 2018 4:34 pm

Randle needs the ball to be successful. I can't think of an accurate comparison, but definitely not Bosh like someone mentioned earlier. He's more Al Jefferson, except worse on D and instead of back to the basket bully-ball, does more dribble penetration bully-ball.

Give me Aaron Gordon not just due to potential, but also because of his defense and his better shooting ability. In today's league, someone like AG can fit just about everywhere and has great value.

Remove Randle off of the Pels and plug it in AG at the 3 instead of Moore: Payton-Holiday-AG-Miro-AD w/ Moore, Miller, Clark, Diallo coming off the bench would make this team elite on D with some decent depth.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#68 » by Stillwater » Wed Dec 5, 2018 4:46 pm

Gordon has really come into his own over the past season and now, but Randle is still the better basketball player./
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
ArtMorte
Sixth Man
And1: 2,102

Post#69 » by ArtMorte » Wed Dec 5, 2018 4:53 pm

Every time I see Gordon play he's trying to do too much, like shooting fade aways when you could just keep the ball moving and wait for a better shot. Randle's decision making is better, imo, and there are signs his 3pt shooting might be improving to an adequate level. So, I think he's going to be the better player in the long run.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,168

Post#70 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Wed Dec 5, 2018 5:55 pm

BallnIngram wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

randle lut up 16/8 in la last season, who was taking attention away from him then?

on a very bad team. totally different. other than that - dude has a high motor. I don't think the Lakers knew or Randle knew what kind of player Randle would turn out TBH.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
NoZoLakers
General Manager
And1: 3,358

Post#71 » by NoZoLakers » Wed Dec 5, 2018 5:57 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
BallnIngram wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

on a very bad team. totally different. other than that - dude has a high motor. I don't think the Lakers knew or Randle knew what kind of player Randle would turn out TBH.

so "excuse" for everything :lol:, just give him credit and say he's producing regardless of situation.
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#72 » by JellosJigglin » Wed Dec 5, 2018 5:58 pm

LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:
BallnIngram wrote:
LBJKB24MJ23 wrote:

What is he doing differently today that they didn't know about? He had a high motor last year too after losing all that weight.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
lordjeff05
Veteran
And1: 767

Post#73 » by lordjeff05 » Sun Dec 9, 2018 3:17 am

Um so yeah I may have been wrong on this. Julius has been just dominant as a starter both froma raw and advanced number perspective. 24 points. 12 rebounds. 62 percent true shooting percentage, plus 10 net rating when he’s on the court. The only difference is that his plus minus is way higher as a starter but you still get the same scoring rate and efficiency regardless.

I just haven’t seen anything like that from Gordon even though he’s got a better outside shot and is a better defender. I’m not convinced that he can be a bonafide second option on a contender but now ...I think Randle can be and that overrides the concerns about his defensive limitations. He’s still got a ways to go on that end but he can’t be easily exploited on that end unless there isn’t a rim protector helping him and that isn’t an issue if he’s playing with AD.
lordjeff05
Veteran

Post#74 » by lordjeff05 » Sun Dec 9, 2018 5:11 am

PistolPeteJR wrote:Randle needs the ball to be successful. I can't think of an accurate comparison, but definitely not Bosh like someone mentioned earlier. He's more Al Jefferson, except worse on D and instead of back to the basket bully-ball, does more dribble penetration bully-ball.

Give me Aaron Gordon not just due to potential, but also because of his defense and his better shooting ability. In today's league, someone like AG can fit just about everywhere and has great value.

Remove Randle off of the Pels and plug it in AG at the 3 instead of Moore: Payton-Holiday-AG-Miro-AD w/ Moore, Miller, Clark, Diallo coming off the bench would make this team elite on D with some decent depth.

It’s been limited minutes but Davis Niko Randle together has actually worked.
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,056

Post#75 » by iggymcfrack » Sun Dec 9, 2018 7:22 am

Aaron Gordon’s in his 5th year in the league and he’s still the same player he was in Year 2, he hasn’t improved at all. I think this might just be the player he is until his athleticism-heavy game hits an early decline. Randle meanwhile continues to take great strides and could easily be one of the top 3 guys on an NBA champion in the relatively near future.
lordjeff05
Veteran

Post#76 » by lordjeff05 » Sun Dec 9, 2018 5:31 pm

iggymcfrack wrote:Aaron Gordon’s in his 5th year in the league and he’s still the same player he was in Year 2, he hasn’t improved at all. I think this might just be the player he is until his athleticism-heavy game hits an early decline. Randle meanwhile continues to take great strides and could easily be one of the top 3 guys on an NBA champion in the relatively near future.

This is what I’m saying. Seeing Julius do this season is really what opened my eyes. He’s putting up second option on a championship team level offensive production right now. I think Gordon tops out at championship level 3rd option. And although Gordon’s defense is better, it doesn’t make up for the difference. Julius is helping to anchor an elite offense right now and it looks sustainable. Gordon hasn’t put numbers up like that over a sustained period.
Driguez
General Manager
And1: 2,021

Post#77 » by Driguez » Sun Dec 9, 2018 5:39 pm

iggymcfrack wrote:Aaron Gordon’s in his 5th year in the league and he’s still the same player he was in Year 2, he hasn’t improved at all. I think this might just be the player he is until his athleticism-heavy game hits an early decline. Randle meanwhile continues to take great strides and could easily be one of the top 3 guys on an NBA champion in the relatively near future.

Hasn't improved at all? Wow. :lol: *insert facepalm gif*
"We all we got"- SVG
iggymcfrack
RealGM
And1: 8,056

Post#78 » by iggymcfrack » Sun Dec 9, 2018 6:35 pm

Driguez wrote:

Hasn't improved at all? Wow. :lol: *insert facepalm gif*

Aaron Gordon
2015/16 (age 20): 17.0 PER, +0.63 RPM
2016/17 (age 21): 14.5 PER, +0.47 RPM
2017/18 (age 22): 16.5 PER, +0.72 RPM
2018/19 (age 23): 17.5 PER, +1.48 RPM

That’s VERY little improvement for such key years of a player’s development. He’s basically been the same player the entire time. Like if he has one bad game, the trendline won’t be going up at all. Meanwhile look at Randle the last 4 years:

Julius Randle
2015/16 (age 21): 13.9 PER, -4.30 RPM
2016/17 (age 22): 16.3 PER, -1.82 RPM
2017/18 (age 23): 19.9 PER, +0.58 RPM
2018/19 (age 24): 23.0 PER, -0.34 RPM

That’s a player who’s making dramatic steps forward each year. I think the RPM numbers this year may be slightly skewed early in the season since the other bigs in New Orleans are so good while the wings drag them down as a team and Randle playing lots of minutes with the terrible backup wings gets some of the blame. Still it’s hard to deny that he’s been doing good work in the gym and making major improvements to his game each year.
EasternHeretic
Bench Warmer
And1: 292

Post#79 » by EasternHeretic » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:43 am

lordjeff05 wrote:Um so yeah I may have been wrong on this. Julius has been just dominant as a starter both froma raw and advanced number perspective. 24 points. 12 rebounds. 62 percent true shooting percentage, plus 10 net rating when he’s on the court. The only difference is that his plus minus is way higher as a starter but you still get the same scoring rate and efficiency regardless.

I just haven’t seen anything like that from Gordon even though he’s got a better outside shot and is a better defender. I’m not convinced that he can be a bonafide second option on a contender but now ...I think Randle can be and that overrides the concerns about his defensive limitations. He’s still got a ways to go on that end but he can’t be easily exploited on that end unless there isn’t a rim protector helping him and that isn’t an issue if he’s playing with AD.

He's doing good.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#80 » by Kabookalu » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:41 pm

PistolPeteJR wrote:Randle needs the ball to be successful. I can't think of an accurate comparison, but definitely not Bosh like someone mentioned earlier. He's more Al Jefferson, except worse on D and instead of back to the basket bully-ball, does more dribble penetration bully-ball.

In his Raptors years Bosh needed the ball to be successful too, just not as much as Randle because he was capable of flashing to the free throw line for a quick jumper. They centered their offense entirely on Bosh elbow ISOs and pick and pops.
Read on Twitter

Return to The General Board