Rival Executive: Clippers most attractive free agent destination, already scouting Durant, Kawhi and Klay.

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,487

Rival Executive: Clippers most attractive free agent destination, already scouting Durant, Kawhi and Klay. 

Post#1 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Nov 8, 2018 7:47 pm

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2804969-a-joke-no-more-the-clippers-aim-to-be-something-that-other-la-team-is-not

Long read. Ballmer regrets letting Doc stay president of ops so long. He also says he doesn't feel he did Blake wrong, considering he paid him the extra year. Last couple paragraphs are about free agency. Clippers already have Frank+scouts going in person to watch Durant+Klay/Kawhi every game (this was reported weeks ago). An agent admits he is pushing his players to the Clippers. Due to tampering rules they aren't allowed to full on recruit.

"It's possible no one comes. Leonard could stay in Toronto. Butler, who is trying to force his way out of Minnesota by the February trade deadline, could re-sign with whichever team acquires him. Durant could choose New York or Brooklyn.

And yet one rival executive calls the Clippers "the most attractive free-agent situation of all of them, because none of the available free agents want to be LeBron's caddy. And they can become the greatest player in the history of a franchise in an unbelievable market with the wealthiest owner in the league. Why would that not thrill you?"

"They've definitely changed," says one top agent, who adds he's eager to steer his clients there. "I know Ballmer wants to win, is competitive, he doesn't mind paying the [luxury] tax and he's into it."

"If you want to come here, we'd love to have you. If not, then we beat the s--t out of you."
—Clippers guard Patrick Beverley
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
Raps2018Champs
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,920

Re: Rival Executive: Clippers most attractive free agent destination, already scouting Durant, Kawhi and Klay. 

Post#2 » by Raps2018Champs » Thu Nov 8, 2018 7:51 pm

Clippers can SMD

They ain’t getting Kawhi

Offensive, inappropriate and baiting fanbase.
Last edited by bwgood77 on Thu Nov 8, 2018 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Warning noted
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Re: Rival Executive: Clippers most attractive free agent destination, already scouting Durant, Kawhi and Klay. 

Post#3 » by RaptorsLife » Thu Nov 8, 2018 7:52 pm

I can see reasoning with kawhi. Closer to family and good weather. .

But the LA market is Lakers dominated. They will still be lebron caddy. I don't see Durant unless its Knicks or Klay go anywhere
Raptors til death
Raps2018Champs
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,920

Post#4 » by Raps2018Champs » Thu Nov 8, 2018 7:53 pm

RaptorsLife wrote:I can see reasoning with kawhi. Closer to family and good weather. .

But the LA market is Lakers dominated. They will still be lebron caddy. I don't see Durant unless its Knicks or Klay go anywhere

Nah f that. Kawhi ain’t going anywhere
alessandrux
Starter
And1: 2,239

Post#5 » by alessandrux » Thu Nov 8, 2018 7:55 pm

How much cap are you realistically able to open up while simultaneously keeping a good supporting cast together?
Will you start to ship out Gallinari and Bradley or do you want to keep them for a sign-and-trade?
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#6 » by RaptorsLife » Thu Nov 8, 2018 7:55 pm

Raps2018Champs wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:I can see reasoning with kawhi. Closer to family and good weather. .

Nah f that. Kawhi ain’t going anywhere

Obviously we as raptors fans want Kawhi to stay.

But we wouldn't have got kawhi for debrick if it wasn't for high chance he was leaving
Raptors til death
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#7 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Nov 8, 2018 7:56 pm

Raps2018Champs wrote:Clippers can SMD

They ain’t getting Kawhi
Maybe not. I just hope they get one of them. Kawhi or KD. Expecting multiple is a bit of a pipe dream. Harris playing like a legit star this year. Id be ecstatic with 1 superstar signing to lead this team and Harris as 2nd option. Honestly as much as I personally dislike KD getting him would also hamper the Warriors and open window for other top west teams. So that may be even more incentive for KD.

cupcakesnake
Senior Mod- WNBA
Senior Mod- WNBA
And1: 23,855

Post#8 » by cupcakesnake » Thu Nov 8, 2018 7:57 pm

lol at "sending scouts"
what are the scouts going to come back and say? "i think Kevin Durant and Kawhi Leonard could both potentially be really good NBA players for us".
really good use of resources!
"Being in my home. I was watching pokemon for 5 hours."

Co-hosting with Harry Garris at The Underhand Freethrow Podcast
Michael Jordan
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,753

Post#9 » by Michael Jordan » Thu Nov 8, 2018 7:59 pm

jamaalstar21 wrote:lol at "sending scouts"
what are the scouts going to come back and say? "i think Kevin Durant and Kawhi Leonard could both potentially be really good NBA players for us".

The scouts are able to retrieve valuable information when they attend games, like the box score.

On a serious note maybe they're being sent to evaluate Kawhi's conditioning/recovery.
Mister Ze
RealGM
And1: 23,194

Post#10 » by Mister Ze » Thu Nov 8, 2018 8:06 pm

It’s still early but it looks like the Clippers have done an outstanding job in retooling their roster after the CP3-Blake era.

So many solid players on excellent contracts. There’s no way they strike out in FA, they’re definitely landing 1-2 star players this summer
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,110

Post#11 » by clyde21 » Thu Nov 8, 2018 8:09 pm

'Scouting Kevin Durant', eh? Must be a tough job. I wonder what they think about him.
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,153

Post#12 » by PistolPeteJR » Thu Nov 8, 2018 8:11 pm

Michael Jordan wrote:

The scouts are able to retrieve valuable information when they attend games, like the box score.

On a serious note maybe they're being sent to evaluate Kawhi's conditioning/recovery.

Considering a certain Jerry West is the one calling the shots out there, I'd think scouts going to really dissect these guys today is a good idea.
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#13 » by TheNewEra » Thu Nov 8, 2018 8:16 pm

"If you want to come here, we'd love to have you. If not, then we beat the s--t out of you."
—Clippers guard Patrick Beverley

Love this quote even with his crappy shooting so far this is our team in a nutshell
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#14 » by NBAFan93 » Thu Nov 8, 2018 8:19 pm

Yeah - sign me up for this NBA “scouting” role! Courtside seets are imperative so that I can make sure that Kawhi and KD are good enough for us by hearing their communication w/ teammates in the game, etc. Heck, you don’t need to pay me, just cover my travel expenses to key games where they play other top talent. I will post my reports on this forum. Thanks!
Poohdini1
Sixth Man
And1: 1,243

Post#15 » by Poohdini1 » Thu Nov 8, 2018 8:21 pm

Gonna go out on a limb and say they don't get any of those 3. Probably have a good shot at Butler though
Uncle Dennis
General Manager
And1: 12,096

Post#16 » by Uncle Dennis » Thu Nov 8, 2018 8:25 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:

They ain’t getting Kawhi
Maybe not. I just hope they get one of them. Kawhi or KD. Expecting multiple is a bit of a pipe dream. Harris playing like a legit star this year. Id be ecstatic with 1 superstar signing to lead this team and Harris as 2nd option. Honestly as much as I personally dislike KD getting him would also hamper the Warriors and open window for other top west teams. So that may be even more incentive for KD.

Do you guys have the cap space for KD + Kawhi + Harris?
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#17 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Nov 8, 2018 8:30 pm

alessandrux wrote:How much cap are you realistically able to open up while simultaneously keeping a good supporting cast together?
Will you start to ship out Gallinari and Bradley or do you want to keep them for a sign-and-trade?
It's gonna be tough. Depends on if they get 1 or 2 stars. If they get 1 they can retain Harris and some key guys (may need to move Gallinari). If they get 2 stars they basically gotta let everyone including Harris walk and trade Gallinari. Im sure guys like Beverley and Bradley will take smaller deals to stay if team wants em, such as splitting MLE.

On a good note Gallinari is having best season of his career. If he can just play 65-70 games at this level he will be easy to trade for a 1st rounder or something else.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#18 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Nov 8, 2018 8:30 pm

Master Ze wrote:It’s still early but it looks like the Clippers have done an outstanding job in retooling their roster after the CP3-Blake era.

So many solid players on excellent contracts. There’s no way they strike out in FA, they’re definitely landing 1-2 star players this summer
It will be tough but I'm very confident they get at least 1 of Kawhi/KD/Butler/Klay.

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#19 » by OkcSinceSGA » Thu Nov 8, 2018 8:33 pm

xavis wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:

They ain’t getting Kawhi

Sadly no. Harris wants max of like 30 mill, so only 2 max deals, cant afford 3.

Uncle Dennis
General Manager
And1: 12,096

Post#20 » by Uncle Dennis » Thu Nov 8, 2018 8:36 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
xavis wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:Maybe not. I just hope they get one of them. Kawhi or KD. Expecting multiple is a bit of a pipe dream. Harris playing like a legit star this year. Id be ecstatic with 1 superstar signing to lead this team and Harris as 2nd option. Honestly as much as I personally dislike KD getting him would also hamper the Warriors and open window for other top west teams. So that may be even more incentive for KD.

Sadly no. Harris wants max of like 30 mill, so only 2 max deals, cant afford 3.

I see. Harris is a great player, maybe even an all-star if the West wasn't so stacked. Having KD + Harris + Gallo and your other pieces is a really good team. I'm mainly saying this because I want Kawhi to stay. :lol: But seriously Harris is a solid player.

Return to The General Board