Ayton/Booker verbal altercation

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Re: Ayton/Booker verbal altercation 

Post#41 » by NBAFan93 » Sat Dec 8, 2018 1:42 am

baldur wrote:Phoenix is done. Trade unprotected first rounders for established stars. Seems like tanking doesn't work for the suns. I'm afraid even Zion might end up a bust if the suns select him. God forbid.

This is how I feel. If I had a vested interest in an about to be top pick, Phoenix would be the last place I’d want them to go. I think they’d turn 18 year old LeBron into a bust.
Cavsfansince84
RealGM
And1: 10,295

Post#42 » by Cavsfansince84 » Sat Dec 8, 2018 1:42 am

PD28 wrote:Ayton isn't used to losing like Booker is. He should know that another good draft pick would do wonders for their future.

Not so sure about that. Its about 50/50 if they get a top 3 pick. Even in a semi loaded draft class that adding that next lotto guy will do wonders for them if they are stuggling to win 20 games now. At some point Booker needs to take accountability if he wants to act like he is a true max level player.
nolang1
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#43 » by nolang1 » Sat Dec 8, 2018 1:42 am

Chanel Bomber wrote:
KAT4PREZ wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:The Suns need to trade Ayton ASAP before he loses all his value. Booker is a flawed player but you can build a strong defense around a weak perimeter defender. You simply cannot build a winning team if your center is a sieve on defense. He should have never been a top 5 pick. The damage is done but it's not too late for Phoenix to get a significant asset in return.

Not sure that is necessarily true in today's switch heavy defenses. Timberwolves are decent with KAT at center. As long as he can move his feet and develop better instincts they should be ok

KAT flashed great defensive potential at Kentucky. He was an elite defensive prospect with great shotblocking skills and excellent versatility. Of course, he has been a major disappointment as a defender so far in his NBA career but the potential is definitely there. With Ayton, defense has been a question mark since the beginning. High school, college, now NBA. His willingness to play D and improve on that end of the floor was always questioned by scouts. Expecting him to have some huge epiphany as a defender goes against everything we've seen from him.

KAT's seemingly great defensive potential came from the fact that he was on a stacked college team and could afford to get into foul trouble while chasing blocks. He averaged 5.6 fouls per 40 minutes and there's not much of a track record for players who fouled that often and still managed to be good defenders in the NBA. The closest I can think of is Embiid, who was like 2-3 years from being introduced to organized basketball when he was a college freshman. If Ayton had played for Kentucky/Duke he could've easily doubled his block rate at the cost of having a few games where he could only play 15-20 minutes due to foul trouble, and that would've made him look like a much better defender even though he still would've had the exact same issues upon coming into the NBA.
Pure_Basketball
Head Coach
And1: 6,375

Post#44 » by Pure_Basketball » Sat Dec 8, 2018 1:45 am

Why are people getting on either players case and trying to paint either one as a bad guy or bad player? This is a good sign, and they're both 22 or under averaging good numbers. They just one other guy that could turn out to be a star and they'll make a massive leap.

Batman A (Zion?)
Batman B (Booker)
Robin A (Ayton [Third year])
Robin B (TJ Warren)

Veteran point guard

I think that has all the makings of an excellent team in a couple of years, I don't know why they get all this hate.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,461

Post#45 » by bwgood77 » Sat Dec 8, 2018 1:45 am

clyde21 wrote:Booker isn't a winning player. He'll score a lot of points but can't defend, can't playmake, is often injured and still inconsistent. If I were the Suns, I'd sell high on him, and build around Ayton, Bridges + Zion/Reddish if I can get my hands on one of them.

I am not as high on Booker as probably most Suns fans, but what makes you think he cannot playmake? He is averaging 6.7 apg this season, and was over 7 before he only played a few minutes in his last one before going out with his hamstring injury.

He has looked very good as a playmaker. Still too many turnovers but he was vastly improving as a playmaker.

His shooting dropped off a bit, partially due to injuries and partially due to being trapped on defense and having to shoot off the dribble a lot more playing PG.

I am also not sure what his trade value would be like....given your description of what you think he is, and the fact he is going to have a max contract kick in next year, a 5 year max, you think he has really high trade value?
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#46 » by bwgood77 » Sat Dec 8, 2018 1:46 am

Cavaliers2 wrote:
r0drig0lac wrote:
The Regime wrote:
Read on Twitter

Shaq and Kobe 2.0?

no
that is all.

Are you saying that this news DOESN'T make you think that they're about to dominate the NBA for the next several years, while winning 3 rings?

Oh, I thought he was joking because Shaq and Kobe couldn't get along.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#47 » by bwgood77 » Sat Dec 8, 2018 1:50 am

RCM88x wrote:I was wondering about Phoenix earlier, got to imagine this have been a huge disappointment so far.

Do fans feel the Igor is on the hot seat, do people feel like he's going to finish the season out?

Who knows with Sarver? I think it would be crazy and stupid to fire a coach during a season two years in a row....given the roster they have with zero depth, no PG or PF and now Booker and Warren have been out for awhile.

They can barely put together a starting lineup, much less a bench. They are starting 3 rookies tonight and Josh Jackson who has been terrible...and Ariza who is slightly injured and hasn't looked too engaged. Their bench guys are like Crawford, Okobo, Troy Daniels, Bender and Richaun Holmes (I like Holmes though).

If they fired a coach for the second year in a row during the season, and the third time they fired a coach during a season in 4 years, how good of coach could they possibly find?

And does anyone think Joe Prunty as interim would be any good?

No one would want to coach this team...no one any good....it would probably end up being Kidd.
K4P
Assistant Coach
And1: 17,103

Post#48 » by K4P » Sat Dec 8, 2018 1:55 am

nolang1 wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:
KAT4PREZ wrote:Not sure that is necessarily true in today's switch heavy defenses. Timberwolves are decent with KAT at center. As long as he can move his feet and develop better instincts they should be ok

KAT flashed great defensive potential at Kentucky. He was an elite defensive prospect with great shotblocking skills and excellent versatility. Of course, he has been a major disappointment as a defender so far in his NBA career but the potential is definitely there. With Ayton, defense has been a question mark since the beginning. High school, college, now NBA. His willingness to play D and improve on that end of the floor was always questioned by scouts. Expecting him to have some huge epiphany as a defender goes against everything we've seen from him.

KAT's seemingly great defensive potential came from the fact that he was on a stacked college team and could afford to get into foul trouble while chasing blocks. He averaged 5.6 fouls per 40 minutes and there's not much of a track record for players who fouled that often and still managed to be good defenders in the NBA. The closest I can think of is Embiid, who was like 2-3 years from being introduced to organized basketball when he was a college freshman. If Ayton had played for Kentucky/Duke he could've easily doubled his block rate at the cost of having a few games where he could only play 15-20 minutes due to foul trouble, and that would've made him look like a much better defender even though he still would've had the exact same issues upon coming into the NBA.

I don't think committing fouls is really a sign of a bad defender though, it usually just shows lack of discipline which is common in young Bigs. Kats defensive potential was moreso because he could move his feet well for a 5 and his 7'3 wingspan.
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,500

Post#49 » by The Laker Kid » Sat Dec 8, 2018 1:57 am

Higgs Boston wrote:The new kobe-shaq, they are just imitating them.

Kobe and Shaq without the rings :D
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
NY 567
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,437

Post#50 » by NY 567 » Sat Dec 8, 2018 1:59 am

Ayton has no motor and is a sieve on defense. He looks like Enes Kanter out there. He's talking about low energy? What narcissism and talk about a lack of self awareness.
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,369

Post#51 » by baldur » Sat Dec 8, 2018 2:01 am

The Laker Kid wrote:
Higgs Boston wrote:The new kobe-shaq, they are just imitating them.

Kobe and Shaq without the wins :D

Fify.
JimmerAllStar
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,743

Post#52 » by JimmerAllStar » Sat Dec 8, 2018 2:05 am

If the Suns were smart, which I know they're not, they would build around Ayton. Booker has had 3 years to make something of this team, and he has consistently achieved bottom of the NBA. Looking at his stats, his scoring is a bit down, but his 3pt % dropped precipitately. Not good. And then there's the issue of dependability. This guy gets injured way too much for a 21-22 yr old. Not sure if the team can depend on him if they make a playoff run.
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,282

Post#53 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sat Dec 8, 2018 2:27 am

bwgood77 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:Booker isn't a winning player. He'll score a lot of points but can't defend, can't playmake, is often injured and still inconsistent. If I were the Suns, I'd sell high on him, and build around Ayton, Bridges + Zion/Reddish if I can get my hands on one of them.

I am not as high on Booker as probably most Suns fans, but what makes you think he cannot playmake? He is averaging 6.7 apg this season, and was over 7 before he only played a few minutes in his last one before going out with his hamstring injury.

He has looked very good as a playmaker. Still too many turnovers but he was vastly improving as a playmaker.

His shooting dropped off a bit, partially due to injuries and partially due to being trapped on defense and having to shoot off the dribble a lot more playing PG.

I am also not sure what his trade value would be like....given your description of what you think he is, and the fact he is going to have a max contract kick in next year, a 5 year max, you think he has really high trade value?

He looks ok as a playmaker, from whenever I watch him a lot of his assists are just dump off/lobs to Ayton and really rudimentary plays where he's just looking to score and passes it off when he can't.
K4P
Assistant Coach
And1: 17,103

Post#54 » by K4P » Sat Dec 8, 2018 2:29 am

Phoenix's roster is utter garbage imo

You need some vets that can play and are willing to be leaders to the young guys

Jamal Crawford and Trevor Ariza aren't that
Heej
General Manager
And1: 8,632

Post#55 » by Heej » Sat Dec 8, 2018 2:31 am

I thought I was wrong about this and had to eat crow at the start of the season, but I'm glad I called this: DeAndrew AytWiggins. All the talent in the world and he got no heart on the court. Now he's just whining like a little *****
LeBron's NBA Cup MVP is more valuable than either of KD's Finals MVPs. This is the word of the Lord
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#56 » by bwgood77 » Sat Dec 8, 2018 2:41 am

KAT4PREZ wrote:Phoenix's roster is utter garbage imo

You need some vets that can play and are willing to be leaders to the young guys

Jamal Crawford and Trevor Ariza aren't that

Crawford has been great for that actually....Ariza not so much but last night he said he needs to take more responsibility for that and get guys mentally prepared for the games...

After scoring 9 in the 1st qtr the last two games, they quadrupled that tonight in the first quarter with 36...impressive without top two scorers in Booker and TJ.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#57 » by bwgood77 » Sat Dec 8, 2018 2:48 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:
bwgood77 wrote:

He looks ok as a playmaker, from whenever I watch him a lot of his assists are just dump off/lobs to Ayton and really rudimentary plays where he's just looking to score and passes it off when he can't.

Actually he is bad at lobbing to Ayton for whatever reason...Jackson much better. He is very good at finding open guys though...actually I feel the exact opposite of what you are saying....I mean that describes a # of PGs but that's not Booker at all.
Kalela
RealGM
And1: 11,537

Post#58 » by Kalela » Sat Dec 8, 2018 2:52 am

Not sure Ayton is a winning player either.I would feel more comfortable building around Booker than Ayton to be honest. He is almost Jahlil Okafor level bad defensively.
Fire Mazzulla
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#59 » by GYK » Sat Dec 8, 2018 3:10 am

Ayton being said to be a bad defender is ridiculous. The bury job on this kid is amazing.
Anywho this team is too young. You have your franchise pieces put in prime role players around them. Youth movements are dumb. You draft Lebron get him vets and work on his development. Free for all development means no development.
Run DLC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,769

Post#60 » by Run DLC » Sat Dec 8, 2018 3:25 am

Booker A.K.A Canelo Alvarez is always involved in some type of drama
Thanks for all the great memories, LeBron! The show must go on! #Heatnation

Return to The General Board