Markkanen looks like a beast

Moderators: KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37

GameBredAPBT
Veteran
And1: 1,611

Markkanen looks like a beast 

Post#1 » by GameBredAPBT » Sat Dec 8, 2018 4:18 am

There were some concerns that would look super rusty, and that his shot would be off, given that it was his shooting elbow that was injured, but hes had 21/10 & 24/7 in his first two outings as a starter, including the game winning layup tonight against the Thunder. His shot looks absolutely beautiful, even prettier & deadlier than last year.

What's this kid's ceiling? Will having him back damage the Bulls tank chances?
MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,955
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Re: Markkanen looks like a beast 

Post#2 » by MalagaBulls » Sat Dec 8, 2018 4:21 am

GameBredAPBT wrote:There were some concerns that would look super rusty, and that his shot would be off, given that it was his shooting elbow that was injured, but hes had 21/10 & 24/7 in his first two outings as a starter, including the game winning layup tonight against the Thunder. His shot looks absolutely beautiful, even prettier & deadlier than last year.

I think he has the potential to be as good as Dirk N. With better D as well.
GameBredAPBT
Veteran

Post#3 » by GameBredAPBT » Sat Dec 8, 2018 4:28 am

MalagaBulls wrote:
GameBredAPBT wrote:There were some concerns that would look super rusty, and that his shot would be off, given that it was his shooting elbow that was injured, but hes had 21/10 & 24/7 in his first two outings as a starter, including the game winning layup tonight against the Thunder. His shot looks absolutely beautiful, even prettier & deadlier than last year.

Their styles aren't too similar though. It's also highly unlikely that Markkanen will ever be the ball handler/playmaker that Dirk was. He's too lumbering/doesn't have the foot speed.

I struggle to find a player comparison for him. I still think Klay Thompson is the most apt comparison.
Dasein
Senior
And1: 447

Post#4 » by Dasein » Sat Dec 8, 2018 4:30 am

GameBredAPBT wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:

Their styles aren't too similar though. It's also highly unlikely that Markkanen will ever be the ball handler/playmaker that Dirk was. He's too lumbering/doesn't have the foot speed.

I struggle to find a player comparison for him. I still think Klay Thompson is the most apt comparison.

Klay is a wing though. Is there something i am missing?
HomegrownRebel wrote: I'd rather have John Wall, Bradley Beal, Marcin Gortat, Nene, and Paul Pierce than the Warriors team. And you can keep thinking Durant would come there. Very doubtful. He loves his hometown and area. Why would he want to live closer to fruitcakes?
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#5 » by GYK » Sat Dec 8, 2018 4:35 am

I like his base. Legs. Lower half. Doesn't slip the screen. KP has a better back to the basket and face up game but Lauri takes the screen better. Harder to push off his post spot. Obviously only improving as a shooter.
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,475

Post#6 » by Funcrusher » Sat Dec 8, 2018 4:36 am

GameBredAPBT wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:

:lol: First RJ is "the spitting image of Kobe," now this? Is this the twilight zone?
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#7 » by Kabookalu » Sat Dec 8, 2018 4:38 am

I haven't seen too much of Markkanen, but for a comparison, Mehmet Okur with better defense?
Read on Twitter
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,540

Post#8 » by TheGOATRises007 » Sat Dec 8, 2018 4:43 am

Kabookalu wrote:I haven't seen too much of Markkanen, but for a comparison, Mehmet Okur with better defense?

Much higher ceiling.
Kabookalu
RealGM
And1: 70,114

Post#9 » by Kabookalu » Sat Dec 8, 2018 4:44 am

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
Kabookalu wrote:I haven't seen too much of Markkanen, but for a comparison, Mehmet Okur with better defense?

Much higher ceiling.

I figured, just comparing their style of play. Him popping out like that so often reminded me a lot of Okur.

Read on Twitter
GameBredAPBT
Veteran

Post#10 » by GameBredAPBT » Sat Dec 8, 2018 4:49 am

Dasein wrote:
GameBredAPBT wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:I think he has the potential to be as good as Dirk N. With better D as well.

Klay is a wing though. Is there something i am missing?

Sure, but the"giant Klay Thompson" moniker was there for a reason last year. Markkanen doesn't really play inside (not yet, anyways). Floats around the perimeter mostly. Also has some good ball handling abilities, and is an exceptional passer.
smartyz456
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,692

Post#11 » by smartyz456 » Sat Dec 8, 2018 4:52 am

he's more mobile than okur but less offensively skilled than dirk

i'd say detlef schrempf or a taller gordon hayward is a good comparison
GameBredAPBT
Veteran

Post#12 » by GameBredAPBT » Sat Dec 8, 2018 4:53 am

smartyz456 wrote:

Schrempf is a good comparison.
Imon
Head Coach
And1: 6,263

Post#13 » by Imon » Sat Dec 8, 2018 5:00 am

I don't think people who constantly compare and say tall Euros who can shoot can become the next Dirk truly realize how unique Dirk is. I can almost guarantee there will not be another Dirk anytime in the near future. IMO the next great Euro player is Giannis who has a game pretty distinct from Dirk's game (I want to see Luka play a few complete season).
I know it's hard to believe but I remember there was once a time when people said Bargnani had the ability to be better than Dirk. Then I heard people say it about Porzingis as well - although to be fair KP got injured but one underrated thing about Dirk was his durability when he was young (when Dirk missed 9 games in the 2010-11 season that was the most games he had missed in a season to that point in his career).
Markkanen looks impressive, to be sure, but given that European players tend to develop faster at a younger age compared to back when Dirk was a teen he seems to be behind the curve to me.
GameBredAPBT
Veteran

Post#14 » by GameBredAPBT » Sat Dec 8, 2018 5:14 am

Imon wrote:I don't think people who constantly compare and say tall Euros who can shoot can become the next Dirk truly realize how unique Dirk is. I can almost guarantee there will not be another Dirk anytime in the near future. IMO the next great Euro player is Giannis who has a game pretty distinct from Dirk's game (I want to see Luka play a few complete season).
I know it's hard to believe but I remember there was once a time when people said Bargnani had the ability to be better than Dirk. Then I heard people say it about Porzingis as well - although to be fair KP got injured but one underrated thing about Dirk was his durability when he was young (when Dirk missed 9 games in the 2010-11 season that was the most games he had missed in a season to that point in his career).
Markkanen looks impressive, to be sure, but given that European players tend to develop faster at a younger age compared to back when Dirk was a teen he seems to be behind the curve to me.

Hmm, behind the curve how so? He's already better than Porzingis was at the same age. His game is actually very mature for his age. Do you watch him play? He had one of the greatest shooting campaigns ever for a rookie.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,094

Post#15 » by Dogen » Sat Dec 8, 2018 5:17 am

GameBredAPBT wrote:
smartyz456 wrote:

Schrempf is a good comparison.

Schrempf was a beast. Makkanen looking like a beast. Ergo, nice comp!
Hey you! Can we come together?
NYKHardKnock
Head Coach
And1: 4,950

Post#16 » by NYKHardKnock » Sat Dec 8, 2018 5:22 am

GameBredAPBT wrote:
Imon wrote:I don't think people who constantly compare and say tall Euros who can shoot can become the next Dirk truly realize how unique Dirk is. I can almost guarantee there will not be another Dirk anytime in the near future. IMO the next great Euro player is Giannis who has a game pretty distinct from Dirk's game (I want to see Luka play a few complete season).

Hmm, behind the curve how so? He's already better than Porzingis was at the same age. His game is actually very mature for his age. Do you watch him play? He had one of the greatest shooting campaigns ever for a rookie.
Lauri is impressive, but Porzingis has elite skill set on both sides of the court. His only issue is his health. Otherwise he’s easily a top 15 player.
Kurt Heimlich
Head Coach
And1: 5,354

Post#17 » by Kurt Heimlich » Sat Dec 8, 2018 5:28 am

He has great tools. 7 footer with strong frame for his age. Athletic and fluid with the ball as a handler and passer. And a great looking shot. He has a chance to be the best player in his class.

I see his ceiling being a 25 and 8 goto scorer type in the mold of Dirk.
BudenFerry
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,496

Post#18 » by BudenFerry » Sat Dec 8, 2018 5:29 am

MalagaBulls wrote:

slow down bro

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#19 » by bearadonisdna » Sat Dec 8, 2018 5:32 am

Lauri’s comps are Porzingus and Dirk.
Lauri’s game actually does look like dirk but lauri has more ball handling of late.
As far as porzingis, lauri is shorter and not as established.
GameBredAPBT
Veteran

Post#20 » by GameBredAPBT » Sat Dec 8, 2018 5:35 am

BudenFerry wrote:
MalagaBulls wrote:

slow down bro

Sent from my [device_name] using [url]RealGM mobile app[/url]

Porzingis didn't do anything elite during his rookie season. Markkanen had a far superior rookie campaign. Also, porzingis will never be the shooter that Markkanen is

Return to The General Board