Markkanen looks like a beast

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Ascrilas
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,612

Re: Markkanen looks like a beast 

Post#121 » by Ascrilas » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:00 am

Skimming through this thread just tell me one thing: Markkanen is about to become one of the most overrated prospects on this board.

And that's not because he's bad, it's because some of the takes here are simply ridiculous. Like, the Porzingis comparison is already a high hurdle, but throwing in Duncan, Dirk, Bosh with KD shooting...yeah, come on now. We had a good laugh, now let's get realistic again and not behave as if he's a lock to become an all-time great.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#122 » by Roddy B for 3 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:17 am

Hugi Mancura wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:
The-Power wrote:You do know that they measure these guys, no? What's the point of embarrassing yourself by doubling down on something objectively wrong? Not to mention that there are plenty of pictures showing that Lauri is a legit 7'. The time spent to write your post could have been spent on google and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I can't speak to his time in the NBA but in college I can tell you he definitely played smaller than he is.

It's not really a surprise. He played guard when he was young, so he was more used to play on the perimeter than in post. Also his reach ain't that big for a player on his size, so even if his head is high his hands might be on the same height as 6' 10'' players or something like that.

Thanks for the help there.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#123 » by SlowPaced » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:17 am

Some of the posts here are cringe worthy. Better than Tim Duncan and Dirk Nowitzki? WTF
Dame Lizard
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,162

Post#124 » by Dame Lizard » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:11 am

Ascrilas wrote:Skimming through this thread just tell me one thing: Markkanen is about to become one of the most overrated prospects on this board.

And that's not because he's bad, it's because some of the takes here are simply ridiculous. Like, the Porzingis comparison is already a high hurdle, but throwing in Duncan, Dirk, Bosh with KD shooting...yeah, come on now. We had a good laugh, now let's get realistic again and not behave as if he's a lock to become an all-time great.

Agreed. He's a really nice prospect, but wowwwwwwww.
Sulico
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,295

Post#125 » by Sulico » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:04 am

Jeez.
It shows how desperate Bulls fans are right now if this marginal at best player is a "beast" and better than Duncan and Dirk.
I feel for you guys, hopefully you'll get some nice players in future high draft picks and will be back in the game in several years.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,635

Post#126 » by Dez » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:13 am

Sulico wrote:Jeez.
It shows how desperate Bulls fans are right now if this marginal at best player is a "beast" and better than Duncan and Dirk.
I feel for you guys, hopefully you'll get some nice players in future high draft picks and will be back in the game in several years.

Marginal at best player? Your scouting ability is f***ing woeful.

One dude who wasn't a Bulls fan said he was better than Duncan/Dirk, don't be a pleb and try claim that was some consensus opinion.
rygar
Junior
And1: 464

Post#127 » by rygar » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:41 am

I think Markkanen is a mix of Wilt's size and athleticism, Curry's 3p and handles, Duncan's fundamentals and Muggsy Bogues' quickness. Already the greatest player ever and he is only 21. He will average 45/15/10/5/5 in his prime.
Sulico
Bench Warmer

Post#128 » by Sulico » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:40 am

Dez wrote:

One dude who wasn't a Bulls fan said he was better than Duncan/Dirk, don't be a pleb and try claim that was some consensus opinion.

Well it's not like he's Karl-Anthony Towns out there in his rookie season. He was much MUCH worse according to every metric. Not even close. And it doesn't look like KAT will be world beater any time soon.
So a player that is much worse than just a very good player... Sounds like a marginal player to me.
Again, I know that it's rough out there for your team right now, and in times like this it's tough not to proclaim someone like Devin Booker a franchise player, but you got to try to be somewhat objective.
Ugly Duckling
Veteran
And1: 1,538

Post#129 » by Ugly Duckling » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:47 pm

Ascrilas wrote:Skimming through this thread just tell me one thing: Markkanen is about to become one of the most overrated prospects on this board.

Haven't you heard? He's being called Lauri Legend by Stacey King
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,635

Post#130 » by Dez » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:01 pm

Sulico wrote:
Dez wrote:

Well it's not like he's Karl-Anthony Towns out there in his rookie season. He was much MUCH worse according to every metric. Not even close. And it doesn't look like KAT will be world beater any time soon.
So a player that is much worse than just a very good player... Sounds like a marginal player to me.
Again, I know that it's rough out there for your team right now, and in times like this it's tough not to proclaim someone like Devin Booker a franchise player, but you got to try to be somewhat objective.

You're just confirming that your basketball knowledge is extremely limited, you probably would have punted Dirk after his rookie season you're that short sighted.
GameBredAPBT
Veteran
And1: 1,611

Post#131 » by GameBredAPBT » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:04 pm

Marginal at best is nonsense. Do you watch him play?
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,368

Post#132 » by baldur » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:31 pm

Good example of how a player goes overrated because of the baseless fan love.

Keith Van Horn without stupid knee socks.
Hugi Mancura
Sixth Man
And1: 1,100

Post#133 » by Hugi Mancura » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:26 pm

Rest of the players I understand and shouldn't be listed with Lauri, but KP? He have had couple months of good basketball. He haven't really shown anything too much so far. On those 48 games last year he was better than Lauri so far, but he is also almost 2 years older. So maybe people little bit overrate KP?

But you only need to watch what's happening in Bulls organization to see why people are raising Lauri high. Bulls fans have nothing to cheer about, Lauri is their only hope to have something nice coming out of Bulls this year or next year. They are a mess and not talking about players. Somehow they are even lousier organization than Knicks.
GameBredAPBT
Veteran
And1: 1,611

Post#134 » by GameBredAPBT » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:52 pm

baldur wrote:Good example of how a player goes overrated because of the baseless fan love.

Keith Van Horn without stupid knee socks.

KVH was awesome.

Markkanen is one of the most intriguing shooting prospects of all-time. His stroke is otherworldly. And his size/abilities as a playmaker make him a better prospect than Van Horn ever was.

Regardless, KVH was an awesome player.
Sulico
Bench Warmer

Post#135 » by Sulico » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:00 am

Dez wrote:
Sulico wrote:
Dez wrote:

You're just confirming that your basketball knowledge is extremely limited, you probably would have punted Dirk after his rookie season you're that short sighted.

Ok. I guess the right move then is to give him max contract when he's up for it and wait for him to win you a lot of basketball games. Suns and Wolves did the same with Booker and Wiggins and it did wonders for them.
Young gun 6
Analyst
And1: 6,008

Post#136 » by Young gun 6 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:08 pm

Been in a slump last few games, yet the absurd posts in this thread are still continuing.

I was actually shocked people are already trying to say he is as good as KP or is a better prospect, he hasn’t shown that yet. He may be a better prospect soon but KP has proven over a bigger and stronger sample size he is a far better player right now without even factoring in the defensive difference as well.
Lana Del Rey
Senior
And1: 2,009

Post#137 » by Lana Del Rey » Sat Feb 9, 2019 2:58 am

Three straight 30-point games, the second player from his draft class (behind Statpadder Mitchell) to accomplish that feat.

30-9 against Charlotte, 30-10 against New Orleans, and now 31-18 against Brooklyn.

Lauri has improved in nearly every category from last season: points, rebounds, steals, blocks, FG%, 3PT%, FT%.

Since Jim Boylen took over, the Bulls have an offensive rating of 98.1. If that were held over a full season, it would be 3rd worst since 2004.

Lauri is now averaging 18-8-1-1-1 on 56% TS for one of the worst offensive teams in modern NBA history.

He will be better than Dirk and viewed as Tim Duncan with a jumper.
Read on Twitter
IllmaticHandler
RealGM
And1: 23,325

Post#138 » by IllmaticHandler » Sat Feb 9, 2019 3:00 am

Lauri > KP

You can @ me.
SupaManu
Junior
And1: 986

Post#139 » by SupaManu » Sat Feb 9, 2019 3:00 am

Lana Del Rey wrote:He will be better than Dirk and viewed as Tim Duncan with a jumper.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,254

Post#140 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Sat Feb 9, 2019 3:02 am

Lana Del Rey wrote:Three straight 30-point games, the second player from his draft class (behind Statpadder Mitchell) to accomplish that feat.

30-9 against Charlotte, 30-10 against New Orleans, and now 31-18 against Brooklyn.

Lauri has improved in nearly every category from last season: points, rebounds, steals, blocks, FG%, 3PT%, FT%.

Since Jim Boylen took over, the Bulls have an offensive rating of 98.1. If that were held over a full season, it would be 3rd worst since 2004.

Lauri is now averaging 18-8-1-1-1 on 56% TS for one of the worst offensive teams in modern NBA history.

At first I was like.....

He will be better than Dirk and viewed as Tim Duncan with a jumper.

Then I read this and was like...

Return to The General Board