Lebron hooks up Memphis ballgirl with game-worn shoes

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

RIP Kobe
Analyst
And1: 4,505

Re: Lebron hooks up Memphis ballgirl 

Post#41 » by RIP Kobe » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:59 am

Tor_Raps wrote:Basketball aside, just another example of what a great human being he is.

hmm can't say i agree when ppl i know have had negative interactions with him.

don't be fooled with what u see on tv.

i did think this was a nice gesture. looks like westbrook started the trend this season and everyone's gonna be doing it before the year is over.
eagereyez
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,462

Re: Lebron hooks up Memphis ballgirl with game-worn shoes 

Post#42 » by eagereyez » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:15 am

Tomorrow on First Take: "MICHAEL JEFFREY JORDAN WOULD HAVE SLAPPED THAT BALL GIRL AND TAKEN BACK HIS SHOES. LEBRON HAS NO KILLER INSTINCT, NO CLUTCH GENE"

Shannon: "SKKKIIIIIEEEEEUP"
RakimAbdulJabar
Analyst
And1: 4,180

Post#43 » by RakimAbdulJabar » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:02 am

I've never understood why anyone would want someone elses dirty/sweaty used shoe/jersey/headband etc. I find it truly disgusting.

As far as the players being amazing humans for giving away their shoes...meh, it doesn't cost them anything, they're not paying for those shoes and it's clearly being done for attention.

I feel like the genuine thing to do if you really wanted to hook someone up would be to surprise them with a brand new pair. It wouldn't be that difficult to have one of the team assistants take the persons details and organise it. They could choose between whether to get them signed as a memento or just have a new pair to wear.

I don't know, maybe I'm old and grumpy, but the whole thing just wreaks of 'look at me, look what I did!'
NyKnicks1714
RealGM
And1: 24,374

Post#44 » by NyKnicks1714 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:30 am

RakimAbdulJabar wrote:I've never understood why anyone would want someone elses dirty/sweaty used shoe/jersey/headband etc. I find it truly disgusting.

As far as the players being amazing humans for giving away their shoes...meh, it doesn't cost them anything, they're not paying for those shoes and it's clearly being done for attention.

I feel like the genuine thing to do if you really wanted to hook someone up would be to surprise them with a brand new pair. It wouldn't be that difficult to have one of the team assistants take the persons details and organise it. They could choose between whether to get them signed as a memento or just have a new pair to wear.

I don't know, maybe I'm old and grumpy, but the whole thing just wreaks of 'look at me, look what I did!'

Yes I'm sure the ballgirl who was in tears after her favorite player gave her a pair of game-worn shoes would have much preferred to give her info to a team assistant and receive a normal pair. I get that you hate LeBron but this is ridiculous.
RakimAbdulJabar
Analyst

Post#45 » by RakimAbdulJabar » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:38 am

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
RakimAbdulJabar wrote:I've never understood why anyone would want someone elses dirty/sweaty used shoe/jersey/headband etc. I find it truly disgusting.

Yes I'm sure the ballgirl who was in tears after her favorite player gave her a pair of game-worn shoes would have much preferred to give her info to a team assistant and receive a normal pair. I get that you hate LeBron but this is ridiculous.

No, you missed my point.

I understand she was excited by it, my point is that I believe it's stupid for an adult to be crying and happy that someone gave them their dirty used clothing. My other point was that if the player/s were genuinely looking to do a nice act then it doesn't need to be done in front of everyone.

This isn't specifically about Lebron, it's about ALL the players so your little assumption is incorrect. I thought it was pretty clear, giving their information to a team assistant doesn't mean they can't interact with the person. The player could go up to the ballgirl/ballboy/fan for whatever reason and have a chat with them, shake their hand, hug them, do whatever they had planned to do and then say something to the effect of "I'll get one of your guys to get your details. You can wait around after the game and I've got something I'd like to give you which you can pick up at ______ section of stadium"

Player goes back to the locker room, signs shoes and gives it to person X who then takes it to the designated area. But then player wouldn't get recognition and fans on message boards couldn't go on about how amazing it is that players making 28 million dollars a year gave away a used pair of shoes they didn't pay for
baldur
RealGM
And1: 12,368

Post#46 » by baldur » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:39 am

I love this game.
NyKnicks1714
RealGM

Post#47 » by NyKnicks1714 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:50 am

RakimAbdulJabar wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:

No, you missed my point.

I understand she was excited by it, my point is that I believe it's stupid for an adult to be crying and happy that someone gave them their dirty used clothing. My other point was that if the player/s were genuinely looking to do a nice act then it doesn't need to be done in front of everyone.

This isn't specifically about Lebron, it's about ALL the players so your little assumption is incorrect. I thought it was pretty clear, giving their information to a team assistant doesn't mean they can't interact with the person. The player could go up to the ballgirl/ballboy/fan for whatever reason and have a chat with them, shake their hand, hug them, do whatever they had planned to do and then say something to the effect of "I'll get one of your guys to get your details. You can wait around after the game and I've got something I'd like to give you which you can pick up at ______ section of stadium"

Player goes back to the locker room, signs shoes and gives it to person X who then takes it to the designated area. But then player wouldn't get recognition and fans on message boards couldn't go on about how amazing it is that players making 28 million dollars a year gave away a used pair of shoes they didn't pay for

So you're hating on LeBron because he didn't go out of his way and make things more complicated in order to ensure he gave her shoes in secret? You're a sad man.
RakimAbdulJabar
Analyst

Post#48 » by RakimAbdulJabar » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:14 am

NyKnicks1714 wrote:
RakimAbdulJabar wrote:
NyKnicks1714 wrote:

No, you missed my point.

So you're hating on LeBron because he didn't go out of his way and make things more complicated in order to ensure he gave her shoes in secret? You're a sad man.

You should learn how to read, this again isn't directed just at Lebron but you seem to want to make it about him. You can call me whatever you like, I'm done with you.
anish23
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,911

Post#49 » by anish23 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:21 am

LeBron.

Awesome gesture. To touch a person's life and to make a difference > Rings, Money, and Fame.
Utah Jazz for Championship :)
kingofthecourt67
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,549

Post#50 » by kingofthecourt67 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:39 am

This is awesome. Much respect for him
Mister Ze
RealGM
And1: 23,201

Post#51 » by Mister Ze » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:42 am

Well not everyone is an anti-bacterial enthusiast. Receiving a used pair of shoes/jersey is almost like receiving a signed pair of shoes/jersey except the used pair is arguably more valuable cause its more unique/personal.

I'd rather have Kobe's shoes that he scored 81 points in on the Raptors as opposed to an autographed pair that he signs. Why? Cause autographed Kobe's exist, and all he did was sign it. Whereas the shoes he scored 81 in are extremely rare and person to Kobe Bryant.

So I see what you're saying but some people can look past the sweaty/dirtiness and focus on how rare/valuable it is. And if you think that it's poor thing to do, guess again. Floyd Mayweather for example took Isaiah Thomas's Celtics jersey after a game once.
CodeBreaker
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,176

Post#52 » by CodeBreaker » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:48 am

Jordan never did this to a ballgirl. GOAT
righterwriter
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,536

Post#53 » by righterwriter » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:27 am

Trying to one up Curry in the shoe marketing department.
Sulico
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,295

Post#54 » by Sulico » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:55 am

Well done Lebron, well done.
Your move, Curry.
scrabbarista
RealGM
And1: 13,665

Post#55 » by scrabbarista » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:28 pm

:lol:
scrabbarista wrote:I read the thread title and thought, "I'd bet $100 the ball girl was black." That's all I'm gonna say... not even touching this thread again.

What does that have to do with anything? Leave race out of it.

User has been suspended. Please ignore the post and don't take the bait.

I said I wasn't going to touch this thread again - and I wasn't - until I was suspended and accused of bringing race into it when my point was that over fifteen years of following LeBron James' professional career, I've come to expect him to "bring race into" his generosity/philanthropy. I didn't go so far as to say that, because I wanted to be nice. But being accused of and suspended for the very thing that I was merely pointing out was a bit rich, and I felt the need to clarify my intent. I completely agree with the spirit of the mod who suspended me, but just as completely disagree with the action taken.

I didn't make any kind of judgment statement about anything in my post. I said nothing was wrong or right, justified or unjustified, noble or ignominious, understandable or indefensible, good or bad - nothing. I simply said I wasn't surprised. Not being surprised was based on my observations of objectively verifiable past events in the public domain. To be very clear: I am not saying even now that LeBron does this intentionally. I'm just saying I had come to expect it to the point that I would have been willing to risk something tangible in predicting it. Once again, I'm not touching this thread again. Just wanted to defend myself.
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#56 » by Pennebaker » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:43 pm

Look at how enormous those shoes are compared to that woman!
NyKnicks1714
RealGM

Post#57 » by NyKnicks1714 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:11 pm

scrabbarista wrote::lol:
scrabbarista wrote:I read the thread title and thought, "I'd bet $100 the ball girl was black." That's all I'm gonna say... not even touching this thread again.

What does that have to do with anything? Leave race out of it.

User has been suspended. Please ignore the post and don't take the bait.

I said I wasn't going to touch this thread again - and I wasn't - until I was suspended and accused of bringing race into it when my point was that over fifteen years of following LeBron James' professional career, I've come to expect him to "bring race into" his generosity/philanthropy. I didn't go so far as to say that, because I wanted to be nice. But being accused of and suspended for the very thing that I was merely pointing out was a bit rich, and I felt the need to clarify my intent. I completely agree with the spirit of the mod who suspended me, but just as completely disagree with the action taken.

I didn't make any kind of judgment statement about anything in my post. I said nothing was wrong or right, justified or unjustified, noble or ignominious, understandable or indefensible, good or bad - nothing. I simply said I wasn't surprised. Not being surprised was based on my observations of objectively verifiable past events in the public domain. To be very clear: I am not saying even now that LeBron does this intentionally. I'm just saying I had come to expect it to the point that I would have been willing to risk something tangible in predicting it. Once again, I'm not touching this thread again. Just wanted to defend myself.

Nobody missed what your point was. It's just a baseless one and one that had no place in this thread.
LoveMyRaps
RealGM
And1: 42,856

Post#58 » by LoveMyRaps » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:30 pm

How can anyone hate this man is beyooooond me
In Masai We Trust :meditate:
binjumper
Starter
And1: 3,695

Post#59 » by binjumper » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:53 pm

Did you guys know a women named her kid Abcde?
RRFB
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,249

Post#60 » by RRFB » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:22 pm

Good stuff. Not sure how anyone can dislike Lebron the person.

Return to The General Board