Everyone agrees that D-Wade is the #3 2Guard of all time, right?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,518

Re: Everyone agrees that D-Wade is the #3 2Guard of all time, right? 

Post#161 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:08 pm

Steelo Green wrote:
Metallikid wrote:
Steelo Green wrote:Vince is not better than AI or Ray Allen.

And T-Mac if seen as a 2 guard is also better than Vince.

T-Mac deserves nothing he shouldn't even be in the Hall of Fame. He never got passed the second round (Spurs don't count) and had a short prime wracked with injuries.

Vince had a bigger impact on the game than those three. He's instrumental in the wave of Canadian basketball talent that is in the league now. He's the greatest dunker in NBA history. His longevity and dedication to the game is remarkable - he's going to be the last player still playing from the 90's - so his career stats are way up there too. AI played 42 mpg in his prime, so his stats are inflated. He fell off hard and the back-end of his career was filled with drama. If anything I have Iverson too high, but he got his **** team to the Finals so he gets points for that. Reggie never had close to as high a peak as Vince did. Ray is quite close, but the Canadian impact is the deciding factor. It was hard deciding 7-11 and it's arguable. I think the top 6 are pretty locked up though.

I really hate the greatest dunker argument for Vince. What does that matter?

Vince wasn't a big PO performer himself. He had moments sure, but T-Mac had a lot of odd situations. A terrible Orlando team and then Houston when he finally had a team he got hurt.

Love tmac, but there's an old saying "the greatest ability is availability". And well Tmac wasn't available. Sucks but his career will always be of what could have happened, not what did happen.
Kobeshow
Pro Prospect
And1: 725

Post#162 » by Kobeshow » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:16 pm

MJ
Kobe
West
--------------------------------------------------------------
Then

I would say Drexler N.4, and Wade N.5

I always considered T-Mac a small forward anyway.

Curry I'm not sure: he's basically an hybrid PG/SG player. He scores a lot, his playmaking is good but he doesn't fit in any of the 2 positions. Probably that's what makes him unique.
Heat4lyf
Rookie
And1: 997

Post#163 » by Heat4lyf » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:21 pm

Jerry west played PG most of his career if im not mistaken?

Even ic you consider west a sg i still have dwade #3
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,265

Post#164 » by John Murdoch » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:33 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
John Murdoch wrote:Until Harden has more playoff success that is

As a 6th man he made the finals and has the lead he's been to the conference finals twice, last year losing in 7 to a team considered the greatest of all time by many.

At least when people give Chris Paul crap, he at least hasn't done that much. Harden's had playoff success

He wasnt the best player on his team tho like Wade was when he won the 1st title with ShaQ
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#165 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:36 pm

John Murdoch wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
John Murdoch wrote:Until Harden has more playoff success that is

As a 6th man he made the finals and has the lead he's been to the conference finals twice, last year losing in 7 to a team considered the greatest of all time by many.

At least when people give Chris Paul crap, he at least hasn't done that much. Harden's had playoff success

He wasnt the best player on his team tho like Wade was when he won the 1st title with ShaQ

He was the best player on a team that took these warriors to a game 7 in the conference finals, which frankly is more impressive than beating the 06 mavs, all due respect to dirk.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,265

Post#166 » by John Murdoch » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:42 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
John Murdoch wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

He was the best player on a team that took these warriors to a game 7 in the conference finals, which frankly is more impressive than beating the 06 mavs, all due respect to dirk.

Fair enough man. Hardens playoff rep on Realgm is bad for a reason though , give me another 2 WCF appearances form him and id say he passes Wade
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#167 » by dhsilv2 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 10:48 pm

John Murdoch wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
John Murdoch wrote:He wasnt the best player on his team tho like Wade was when he won the 1st title with ShaQ

Fair enough man. Hardens playoff rep on Realgm is bad for a reason though , give me another 2 WCF appearances form him and id say he passes Wade

I have no problem with people saying Harden hasn't played as well in the post season as the regular season, but the lengths people go to not just point out a reasonable point, but to slam and bash him as if he goes from MJ in the regular season to JR Smith in the post season has to go.

I'll go out on the limb and guess that Harden wasn't running out the clock and taking challenged 3's because he thought it was going to make him look good or improve his stats against the warriors last year. I'm pretty sure he knew he'd look bad doing it, but it was the best way for the team to win, but reducing the opportunities that warriors got with the ball.
TaylorTRoom
Pro Prospect
And1: 541

Post#168 » by TaylorTRoom » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:12 pm

D-Wade owes his stature to Bennett Salvatore and the 2006 refs. If they call the offensive foul on Wade’s shove of Terry or if Salvatore doesn’t blow a whistle on Dirk’s waving his hand in Wade’s direction, we all look at Wade’s career a lot differently. A top 3 SG doesn’t have a career that relies on an official to bail him out.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,408

Post#169 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:36 pm

TaylorTRoom wrote:D-Wade owes his stature to Bennett Salvatore and the 2006 refs. If they call the offensive foul on Wade’s shove of Terry or if Salvatore doesn’t blow a whistle on Dirk’s waving his hand in Wade’s direction, we all look at Wade’s career a lot differently. A top 3 SG doesn’t have a career that relies on an official to bail him out.

That was definitely the worst officiated nba finals ever- it was like wade had his own whistle
drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,382

Post#170 » by drekwins » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:39 pm

Harden is not better than prime Wade. Prime Wade was GREAT on both ends of the court. Forget stats. Jerry Stackhouse put up 30pts in 2000-2001. Total points do not matter.... whatsoever. All that matters is leading your team to playoff wins. DWade has done that time and time again vs. some of the best.
GusFring
Starter
And1: 2,670

Post#171 » by GusFring » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:12 am

ken6199 wrote:
GusFring wrote:
og15 wrote:I understand people not valuing rings as much and others who also place higher value on them. For the first side, the reality is that opportunity is nowhere close to equal among players when it comes to getting rings. That's from things like luck (and/or strength) of your team in drafting, attractiveness or timing of cap space in free agency, so the strength of your team's management in general. Then also the type of owner your team has, some want to win at all costs, some are just happy to have decent teams. Then there's not just your own health, but the health of your teammates. The era/time you are in the league also matters; if you and your team peak at a time where you just have another team with clearly better talent and maybe even better financials, your chance of winning goes down, etc, etc.

That's why a guy like LeBron James went out and created his own opportunity, because he knows that people don't really care too much about context. Yes, some people do, but most or at least many people just care about end result, ring or no ring, and they will insert the narrative of why the player failed or succeeded after the fact, so LeBron was not going to put his legacy in the hands of all those factors.

For example, a player plays a pretty good, but maybe not great, certainly not perfect game in the conference finals or finals, and his team loses to a clearly better team. After the fact, a narrative will be that he had his chance to beat said team, and he didn't bring it, while citing this or that run, or this or that situation in the game where the player should have answered back and taken over. Of course, that also neglects that the stars on the better team would have themselves needed to essentially "fail" and not bring it when needed for the star on the inferior team to have his individual performance overshadow both theirs and their whole teams. Also the stars on the other team, as long as they win, any little extras they do in the game will now be narrated as the keys, while all the extras the losing star does will be ignored and it will basically be diminished to "well they didn't score enough or carry the team on their back enough."

In the end, not every player is as proactive about carving their legacy and getting themselves into championship position as others. Some land in situations where they don't need to create their own opportunity, it's there.

James Harden had the opportunity last year but I'm not of the same hive mind that the warriors are an unstoppable force. James Harden also had that bizarre series against the spurs where he got slammed when the claw was out. Its not like this is a KG scenario where he's stuck on minny. Houston cares or cared about building a contender and they did. He shouldn't be blamed for these losses of course as he's not the only reason but how can he be put above guys like wade or kobe. I don't really value the RS much.

From your post I feel like you didn't read og15's response above clearly. He wrote a perfect piece, yet it seems like you are still stuck with your old narratives.

Houston peaked last year, offense and defense. They had their franchise W-L record with a historical ortg. Most of their core players were on team friendly contracts, Capela as a rookie, Paul opted into his player option, Ariza on his expiring peanut contract which he signed right before the salary cap spike. That's an as clear definition of peak as you can get. Just like og15 said, unfortunately there was another team named GS out there who were better than them on every aspect, added by a player, again like og15 said, who choose to create a winning situation for himself with the sacrifice of probably being regarded as a weak minded player for the rest of his career. And when the WCF finished, people, again like og15 said, started to insert narratives like this guy cannot bring his team over the hump when needed, that guy delivered for his team when needed, etc. etc.

People choose to remember his game 6 against Spurs, but without realizing his super efficient game 4, 28+12, brought Houston back into the series to avoid a 1-3 down having to face 3 elimination games. People also choose to remember his 11 TO game back in 14-15 WCF, but forgot he started the series with 2 excellent games in Oracle, took the team whtin a striking distance to come back to Houston with a 2-0 lead. Same for the series before, his game 6 4th quarter sitting on the bench vs his game 5 (which was again, an elimination game he saved for Houston). And the LAC-SAS series before, Paul's heroic game 7 vs Spurs makes him a playoff performer, yet those who only remembers his OKC game 5 will call him a playoff choker. So what indeed is Paul, I am confused.

Houston took a huge gamble last year and it almost paid off. If it paid off, Harden would be considered a much better player than he is now, but only the sane heads will credit his ring, a solid part of it, to Moray and how he operated last year. It was one of the best gambles one can ever wish for. Unfortunately the gamble didn't pay off, and Moray took 2 further gambles: 1) a huge gamble on Paul's next 4 years, 2) a smaller gamble on signing 5 minimum wage players. We all know 1) is looking worse every single day, and 2) has been a complete failure with all 5 of them gone by February. Moray failed real bad this year, and likely handicapped Houston's cap space for the next 4 year to remove them from the elite contender tier. If Harden doesn't win a ring in the rest of his Houston career, how much blame do you put on him for not delivering when needed, and how much do you put on Moray for taking that huge gamble which obviously backfired? Then how much do you put on luck (yes, I can shoot better than 0-27 in the gym with hands in my face)? Or more ridiculously, the peaking of the Warriors team at the "wrong" time.

Sorry for the rant. I just feel like lines like "we play the game to win of course winning is all it matters" just doesn't belong to a place like RealGM. It's more for Instagram and Facebook comment area.

Not sure how any of this refutes anything I said. Yes the warriors are better than the rockets and beat them. Yes James Harden is still a great player. Yes kobe and wade are still better than him. I grew up with a franchise that won nearly every year with the goat, yes I value winning more than James Harden's regular season accomplishments and anemic playoff success.
afarmenian
Analyst
And1: 3,504

Post#172 » by afarmenian » Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:21 am

How can people seriously put Clyde or Ginobli ahead of Wade is my question. Harden has a better case......heck Ray Allen over those two.
reborn123
Pro Prospect
And1: 780

Post#173 » by reborn123 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:34 am

Sulico wrote:
reborn123 wrote:
Sulico wrote:
I don't care about stats. Wade won 1 championship as best player, 2 as a 2nd wheel. Manu won 1 as best player 2 as a second wheel and 1 as 3-4 wheel. Manu was the best player in the league for one year, D-Wade never was. Manu contended almost every year of his career, Wade only for 6-7 years.

If D-Wade had Tim Duncan and Tony Parker for majority of his career, he'd have lots of rings too. I would argue D-Wade could be considered the best player during the 2006 and 2009 seasons too (when he got his scoring title and singlehandedly brought the Heat to the playoffs).

D-Wade had Shaq and Lebron, and both left him cuz he couldn't deliver. I would argue Lebron would never leave 32 year old Manu.

A Shaq who was declining? And he had prime LeBron for how many seasons? If rings was the sole barometer for greatness then Horry should've been a great.
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,690

Post#174 » by Fencer reregistered » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:08 am

LakerLegend wrote:What do we consider Jerry West.

I consider him a PG, but I'm in the minority.

Really, he was a combo guard.
Banned temporarily for, among other sins, being "Extremely Deviant".
postaboy84
Senior
And1: 373

Post#175 » by postaboy84 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:18 am

MJ, Kobe, West, and then a distant 4th Wade. Why? Wade played for the Heat. No pressure, no market, no brand, no fanbase, no media, and most of all played in a weak conference. Wade didn’t face what Kobe went though.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
pwrshft99
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,078

Post#176 » by pwrshft99 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:23 am

Not the biggest Wade fan. I think he benefited greatly from motivated Shaq and Prime LeBron.
Guys like TMac and Iverson had just as much impact but didn't enjoy the same team success.
#sadbullsfan
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,431

Post#177 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:28 am

1. Jordan
2. Harden
3. Kobe/Wade
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,431

Post#178 » by Raps in 4 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:34 am

drekwins wrote:Harden is not better than prime Wade. Prime Wade was GREAT on both ends of the court. Forget stats. Jerry Stackhouse put up 30pts in 2000-2001. Total points do not matter.... whatsoever. All that matters is leading your team to playoff wins. DWade has done that time and time again vs. some of the best.

Harden is one of the most efficient scorers of all time. Even with him playing no defense, his overall impact is still enormous. His ORPM is a ridiculous 7.65 this year, giving him the second highest RPM in the league. The next closest player? Curry at 5.98.
drekwins
Head Coach
And1: 4,382

Post#179 » by drekwins » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:38 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
drekwins wrote:Harden is not better than prime Wade. Prime Wade was GREAT on both ends of the court. Forget stats. Jerry Stackhouse put up 30pts in 2000-2001. Total points do not matter.... whatsoever. All that matters is leading your team to playoff wins. DWade has done that time and time again vs. some of the best.

Harden is one of the most efficient scorers of all time. Even with him playing no defense, his overall impact is still enormous. His ORPM is a ridiculous 7.65 this year, giving him the second highest RPM in the league. The next closest player? Curry at 5.98.

In an era that promotes efficiency... the rules have allowed for much more efficient play. You can't compare that way vs. previous eras or decades. You have to look at success and their dominance compared to their peers. Harden puts up stats but failed miserably against his elite peers when it counted.
RSP83
Head Coach
And1: 3,918

Post#180 » by RSP83 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:45 am

MJ, Kobe and then you got Jerry West, DWade, Clyde in no particular order. And was Oscar Robertson a 2 or a 1?

At the moment I still put Jerry West ahead of DWade. But I take Wade over Clyde. If Oscar is there, I think him and DWade is 4a and 4b

Return to The General Board