Zion Williamson is basically a 6'7 Blake Griffin

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,158

Re: Zion Williamson is basically a 6'7 Blake Griffin 

Post#121 » by og15 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:54 pm

theonlyclutch wrote:He's late-career Blake Griffin's playmaking combined with early Blake Griffin's athleticism (slightly better actually even accounting for Griffin's length advantage) minus current Blake Griffin's surprisingly OK 3-pointer. Yeah I'd say that's pretty coming in as a one-and-done.

What are Zion's measurements as it relates to wingspan and standing reach? One of Blake's limitations is that his measurements are that of a SF, in fact many of the top SF's had/have higher standing reaches and wider wingspans.
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,223

Post#122 » by Funcrusher » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:05 pm

IgorK wrote:Zion is one of the most overhyped prospects in a while. That's saying a lot.

Spoken by someone who probably hasn't seen a single full game.
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
Klayforspicy
Head Coach
And1: 7,248

Zion Williamson is basically a 6'7 Blake Griffin 

Post#123 » by Klayforspicy » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:15 pm

Hes young Griffin with better defensive instincts...which is top 5 player potential

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant

Post#124 » by Funcrusher » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:16 pm

BodieB wrote:Some of the detractors may be going a bit too far with the criticism of Zion but the supporters that seemingly can't find or speak to any criticisms in his game are just as bad.

Nah, the guy is just really really good. Sometimes there are prospects that come along with few weaknesses in their game. These guys are called generational talents. That's Zion. He has some weaknesses, but they're not massive flaws. And i'm really not seeing any homerism from the Zion supporters. If they can't speak to any criticisms in his game, it's probably because he factually has very few.
gh123 wrote:Zion lucky if he gets 18 ppg on decent efficiency. Midget big man is a no-career in NBA. Chuck being the only wonder. Zion is the next Tractor Trailer at best.
DaddyCool19
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,392

Post#125 » by DaddyCool19 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:26 pm

og15 wrote:
theonlyclutch wrote:He's late-career Blake Griffin's playmaking combined with early Blake Griffin's athleticism (slightly better actually even accounting for Griffin's length advantage) minus current Blake Griffin's surprisingly OK 3-pointer. Yeah I'd say that's pretty coming in as a one-and-done.

What are Zion's measurements as it relates to wingspan and standing reach? One of Blake's limitations is that his measurements are that of a SF, in fact many of the top SF's had/have higher standing reaches and wider wingspans.

Zions reach is 8'7 if the numbers online are true. He is 6'6-6'7 in shoes and has a 6'10 wingspan according to tankathon and nbadraft

According to the draft combine Blakes reach is 8'9. He is 6'8,5 without shoes and has a 6'11,25 wingspan.
lordjeff05
Veteran
And1: 767

Post#126 » by lordjeff05 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:27 pm

People are missing some basic things here with Zion. I think his athleticism is masking his skill and IQ.There are other athletic 6’7 guys who haven’t blocked 2 shots a game or averaged 2 steals a game.

Also for people saying that bigs will be able to shoot over Zion, whole that may be true, they won’t be able to set up post position.Anybody remember Chuck Hayes who was 6’6.

He also has shown the lateral quickness and wherewithal to guard on the perimeter, so he can both play in switch heavy lineups and he can exploit them ( because small guys can’t deal with his size and larger guys can’t deal with his quickness) his game will translate early. His explosiveness and size will help him finish in traffic and deal with nba length. I’m not saying he will be perfect but he has all the tools to be a star.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,407

Post#127 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:29 pm

It isn’t an insult to be as good as Blake Griffin. He has been one of the best power forwards in the nba for years. True, he used to get injured a lot- but otherwise he is an outstanding player
MemphisX
Analyst
And1: 3,579

Post#128 » by MemphisX » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:31 pm

lmao...good luck to point guards and wings when they get hunted by Zion. Also goes for most of these new stretch 4s...oh and also centers.

When people say he is overrated, I want them to give me a list of players you will be comfortable defending him as the pick and roll handler where he has been elite at in college.
Check out my Memphis Grizzlies Youtube Channel --->>> https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbB6yGykQEUwl9hqWYVp45g
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,962

Post#129 » by Optms » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:31 pm

Blake Griffin? Kenneth Faried???

This thread is going to be a gold mine digging back up.

BodieB wrote:Some of the detractors may be going a bit too far with the criticism of Zion but the supporters that seemingly can't find or speak to any criticisms in his game are just as bad.

No one is saying he's perfect. Even Lebron had major holes coming out of HS. Shaq had holes coming out of College too. But athletically they were so superior to everyone stepping on the court with them, it was laughable. Lots of people in this thread are just going against the grain for ridiculous reasons. They have a watermelon sized diamond starring them dead in the face and they're pooping on it because it still has dirt on it from when it was buried.

It should be without question to anyone who understands anything about basketball that Zion will have an immediate impact from day 1. Whether he transforms into a HOF level player will be entirely on how hungry he will be to improve.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,962

Post#130 » by Optms » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:33 pm

MemphisX wrote:lmao...good luck to point guards and wings when they get hunted by Zion. Also goes for most of these new stretch 4s...oh and also centers.

When people say he is overrated, I want them to give me a list of players you will be comfortable defending him as the pick and roll handler where he has been elite at in college.

Put Zion on those peoples teams and they'd be singing a different tune. The NBA better prepare themselves because there's a locomotive train coming that Lebron won't even want part of getting in the way of.
afarmenian
Analyst
And1: 3,504

Post#131 » by afarmenian » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:18 pm

Is there any reason he couldnt play small forward? I don't think he is tweener i think he is good enough to play both roles
tundraknight
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,915

Post#132 » by tundraknight » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:25 pm

Denisaur9 wrote:I'm thinking Rich man's Anthony Bennett, if anyone remembers him in college he was dominant, over a block per game, shot 37% from 3 body type reminds me of Bennett but Zion is a better athlete.

Rich Mans Anthony Bennett :lol:
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,775

Post#133 » by Ayt » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:27 pm

ellobo wrote:
Buzzard wrote:
ellobo wrote:
And bigger. Barkley was an amazingly explosive athlete, much more so than Larry Johnson (even pre-back injury), but Zion is even more explosive.

Barkley was under 6'5" and played in an era of bigger lineups. There is nothing about Zion's height that precludes him from being a dominant NBA player. There's no guarantee that he WILL be, but to say that his height disqualifies him seems silly since there's an obvious precedent.

I agree, nothing precludes him at all and if the ping pong balls go the Hawks way, I hope we take him.

Barkley at basketball reference is listed as 6'6". Zion is listed as 6'7". I am sure they could be off but the height disparity is not huge.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/barklch01.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/zion-williamson-1.html

Barkley has often stated that his listed height is exaggerated and his actual height is 6'4 and 3/4".

Dude must have gotten arrested in high heels.

ellobo
Veteran
And1: 4,477

Post#134 » by ellobo » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:40 pm

Ayt wrote:
ellobo wrote:
Buzzard wrote:I agree, nothing precludes him at all and if the ping pong balls go the Hawks way, I hope we take him.

Barkley at basketball reference is listed as 6'6". Zion is listed as 6'7". I am sure they could be off but the height disparity is not huge.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/barklch01.html
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/zion-williamson-1.html

Barkley has often stated that his listed height is exaggerated and his actual height is 6'4 and 3/4".

Dude must have gotten arrested in high heels.

Those two pictures show two different heights. The first one shows him at 6'8" and there is no way that's accurate, so why trust either picture?
Just because it happened to you, doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

Yesterday I was lying; today I'm telling the truth.
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#135 » by cuyankees » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:49 pm

Optms wrote:Blake Griffin? Kenneth Faried???

No one is saying he's perfect. Even Lebron had major holes coming out of HS. Shaq had holes coming out of College too. But athletically they were so superior to everyone stepping on the court with them, it was laughable. Lots of people in this thread are just going against the grain for ridiculous reasons. They have a watermelon sized diamond starring them dead in the face and they're pooping on it because it still has dirt on it from when it was buried.

It should be without question to anyone who understands anything about basketball that Zion will have an immediate impact from day 1. Whether he transforms into a HOF level player will be entirely on how hungry he will be to improve.

Ah the RGM armchair scout, someone that has never played, coached or done much of **** besides watch TNT, ESPN, and self proclaim they're a scout.

Newsflash! There are plenty of people on the scouting and organized basketball circuit who think Zion is a bust waiting to happen. If it isn't the actual lack of basketball skills, then it's his body is sure to fail him before his rookie contract ends.

But again, you watch Zion flawlessly perform pindowns on significantly smaller "bigs" in college and dominate.
Funcrusher
Lead Assistant

Post#136 » by Funcrusher » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:54 pm

cuyankees wrote:

Ah the RGM armchair scout, someone that has never played, coached or done much of **** besides watch TNT, ESPN, and self proclaim they're a scout.

Newsflash! There are plenty of people on the scouting and organized basketball circuit who think Zion is a bust waiting to happen. If it isn't the actual lack of basketball skills, then it's his body is sure to fail him before his rookie contract ends.

But again, you watch Zion flawlessly perform pindowns on significantly smaller "bigs" in college and dominate.

No, there really aren't. We get it. You want the kid to fail. No need to lie tho.

And it always amuses me when no names **** on others for being no names. Like, who the **** are you, to discredit this poster's knowledge? At the end of the day everyone has the same opportunity to watch footage and make the proper evaluations. We don't need to be professional scouts to have knowledge of the game. Come off it man.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#137 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun Feb 17, 2019 11:57 pm

There is no comparison for Zion. Hes not like Blake.

Bigger, stronger, better defender and more efficient.

The thing that makes him so great is the fact that weve never seen anything like him before.

Kind of like Durant/LeBron/Steph in terms of unique abilities.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,554

Post#138 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:00 am

Pantsman wrote:Zion is like Blake mixed with draymond on defense. Except Zions ceiling is a lot higher than Blake’s ever was. People forget how great Blake about 3-4 years ago. He was mvp level great.

So you place his upside at best player in the NBA for years? If Blake was a top 10 ish player a few years and as you said had 1 or 2 MVP discussion seasons. Including 2014 when he finished 3rd to Lebron and KD. I think Zion has huge upside, but I am really skeptical about the idea of this guy basically being the best player in the league for years to come. "Ceiling is a lot higher" is probably an exaggeration. Prior to knee injuries Blake's ceiling was top 5 all time PF. So I can deduce you basically expect him to be Lebron and be the best in the league for years+top 3 all time at his position.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,196

Post#139 » by clyde21 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:02 am

'Zion is basically a sooped up version of a guy who averaged 24/10/4 in his prime but with better defense'

...okay? lmao.
cuyankees
Veteran
And1: 1,274

Post#140 » by cuyankees » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:03 am

Funcrusher wrote:
cuyankees wrote:

No, there really aren't. We get it. You want the kid to fail. No need to lie tho.

Yes, as a NYK fan, I want Zion to fail. PM me, let's trade #s, and chat in person next time we're both in Vegas in July.

Return to The General Board