Chris Paul's legacy?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

alessandrux
Starter
And1: 2,239

Re: Chris Paul's legacy? 

Post#21 » by alessandrux » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:09 pm

Hall of Famer, one of the best point guards, impressive floor general, outstanding basketball-IQ, but, for me, most importantly,

(one of) the greatest flopper of alltime.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,494

Post#22 » by dhsilv2 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:15 pm

Green89 wrote:
ThomYorke wrote:Top 5 PG of all time.

Amazing playmaker, shooter and defender

Just who are you bumping off this list for Paul?

Magic
Big O
I. Thomas
Stockton
Curry

Kidd, Nash, and West have arguments, too.

Thomas isn't in my top 10 point guards and Paul is easily over stockton.
Pelon chingon
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,166

Post#23 » by Pelon chingon » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:26 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Green89 wrote:

Magic
Big O
I. Thomas
Stockton
Curry

Seriously your evaluations are way off if I. Thomas isnt in your top 10 pgs. What's your age group out of curiosity because both of those dudes were problems on the court.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#24 » by dhsilv2 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:31 pm

Pelon chingon wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Green89 wrote:

Magic
Big O
I. Thomas
Stockton
Curry

Seriously your evaluations are way off if I. Thomas isnt in your top 10 pgs. What's your age group out of curiosity because both of those dudes were problems on the court.

thomas was a good leader but one of the most overrated players ever. He was an inefficient volume scorer, an above average but not great play maker, not an overly great passer among point guards, and by no means a strong defender. His success was the result of being on a team where there was no clear best player and was stacked top to bottom with elite talent. Throw in one of if not the greatest coach in NBA history.

A much better question to ask if when was the last time you watched a full game from zeke?
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,651

Post#25 » by Green89 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:41 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Pelon chingon wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

thomas was a good leader but one of the most overrated players ever. He was an inefficient volume scorer, an above average but not great play maker, not an overly great passer among point guards, and by no means a strong defender. His success was the result of being on a team where there was no clear best player and was stacked top to bottom with elite talent. Throw in one of if not the greatest coach in NBA history.

A much better question to ask if when was the last time you watched a full game from zeke?

Could you kindly post a link to where Zeke isn't on a top 10 all time PG list, because until you do, I'm calling right now that you're the only one.
Plutonashfan
Analyst
And1: 3,128

Post#26 » by Plutonashfan » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:47 pm

As league President he fought for these old-people cap-killing super-max contracts.
The Champ is HERE!!!
Plutonashfan
Analyst
And1: 3,128

Post#27 » by Plutonashfan » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:49 pm

Green89 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Pelon chingon wrote:Seriously your evaluations are way off if I. Thomas isnt in your top 10 pgs. What's your age group out of curiosity because both of those dudes were problems on the court.

Could you kindly post a link to where Zeke isn't on a top 10 all time PG list, because until you do, I'm calling right now that you're the only one.

I'm pretty sure this is the same guy that had Marc fricken Gasol as a current top 25 player and was ridicule for it.
The Champ is HERE!!!
chuck_wagon44
Senior
And1: 625

Post#28 » by chuck_wagon44 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:51 pm

Last year, which was his first year in Houston was pretty epic. He put the city on the NBA map!
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#29 » by dhsilv2 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:52 pm

Green89 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Pelon chingon wrote:Seriously your evaluations are way off if I. Thomas isnt in your top 10 pgs. What's your age group out of curiosity because both of those dudes were problems on the court.

I think the board overrated thomas but...
1 Magic
2 West
3 Oscar
4 Stockton
5 Paul
6 Nash
7 Curry
8 Payton
9 Kidd
10 Frasier
11 Thomas

This was a few years ago so there will be discussions on moving Westbrook up. There will be a debate over time if Harden should be seen more as the point as well and clearly at this point he'd likely going to be ranked ahead. Cousy is often on lists higher than this as well. Though I think he was another that got ranked too highly in the end on that list.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1573442

If you don't want a list of posters who dedicated countless hours to coming up with a list which is actually one of the most well respected lists and why I even found this site in general were those lists being posted elsewhere. well here's Ben Taylor's top 40 which only at first glance has 9 point guards on it so perhaps he'd have thomas 10th, hard to say.

http://www.backpicks.com/2017/12/11/the-backpicks-goat-the-40-best-careers-in-nba-history/

This is easily the most well though out and well done list I've seen and that absolutely includes bill simmons book.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#30 » by BarneyGumble » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:58 pm

Best dick punching flopper to never win a ring. Just in front of Reggie Evans.
ThomYorke
Junior
And1: 876

Post#31 » by ThomYorke » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:42 am

Green89 wrote:

Magic
Big O
I. Thomas
Stockton
Curry

I'm only 30 so I never saw Magic, Robertson, Thomas or West play.

1) Curry
2) Kidd
3) Stockton
4) Paul
5) Nash
Yank3525
Starter
And1: 2,352

Post#32 » by Yank3525 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:45 am

Top 5-7 PG of all-time.

Only weakness in his game was lack of aggressiveness. His teams were always much better when he looked to score more.
His Airness 23
Sophomore
And1: 228

Post#33 » by His Airness 23 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:46 am

Chris Paul is one of the most over-rated players ever. He’s never done anything in the postseason.
Top 10 Greatest NBA Players of All-Time, in order...

1.) Michael Jordan 2.) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 3.) Wilt Chamberlain 4.) Larry Bird
5.) Tim Duncan 6.) Shaquille O’Neal 7.) Magic Johnson 8.) Kawhi Leonard
9.) Hakeem Olajuwon 10. James Harden

Trump2020
Jedi32
Head Coach
And1: 6,285

Post#34 » by Jedi32 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:47 am

XxIronChainzxX wrote:He'll be seen as an all-time great guard. He a shot at MVP and lost it. He ultimately could not carry a team on his back to the WCF in his prime but the West was never an easy conference.

As player/union rep he fought hard for the chance to give himself this kind of team-killing deal. Kind of like LeBron punting away his chance at improving his career legacy by going to LA, CP3 chose financial security and other goals vs. pure winning. Nothing is wrong with that. Teams have to own their choices too.

Lol at the weak attempt at LeBron. Guess it’s hard for some to just stay on topic?
pwrshft99
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,078

Post#35 » by pwrshft99 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:49 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
Green89 wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

I think the board overrated thomas but...
1 Magic
2 West
3 Oscar
4 Stockton
5 Paul
6 Nash
7 Curry
8 Payton
9 Kidd
10 Frasier
11 Thomas

This was a few years ago so there will be discussions on moving Westbrook up. There will be a debate over time if Harden should be seen more as the point as well and clearly at this point he'd likely going to be ranked ahead. Cousy is often on lists higher than this as well. Though I think he was another that got ranked too highly in the end on that list.

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=1573442

If you don't want a list of posters who dedicated countless hours to coming up with a list which is actually one of the most well respected lists and why I even found this site in general were those lists being posted elsewhere. well here's Ben Taylor's top 40 which only at first glance has 9 point guards on it so perhaps he'd have thomas 10th, hard to say.

http://www.backpicks.com/2017/12/11/the-backpicks-goat-the-40-best-careers-in-nba-history/

This is easily the most well though out and well done list I've seen and that absolutely includes bill simmons book.

This is essentially my list but CP3 comes in at 7. No way does CP3 rank all time above Steph(rings) and Nash(MVPs) IMO.
#sadbullsfan
Sulico
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,295

Post#36 » by Sulico » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:51 am

I would describe him as "Great, but not great enough".
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,554

Post#37 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:07 am

Clippers dodged a bullet. Now their three best players came from that trade, two of which got locked up on killer team friendly contracts (Lou and Montrezl).

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,828

Post#38 » by cdubbz » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:10 am

A tough point guard that never won a ring, seemed like a horrible teammate, flop artist, cry baby, loser.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
_Game7_
Veteran
And1: 1,415

Post#39 » by _Game7_ » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:24 am

Top 5 in his position all-time. I don't care he never won a ring, his play on the court was beyond exceptional, 08 is one of the greatest years for a player, period. Btw I'm taking prime CP3 over Curry allday.
Exodus wrote:I think Kyrie Irving in the best player on the team to be honest
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#40 » by GYK » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:26 am

if he had a ring the slurp secession around his PER/BPM/RPM/VORP/WS would be insane.

Return to The General Board