Westbrook is the most overhated player of all time.

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

rocketsfan100
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,350

Re: Westbrook is the most overhated player of time. 

Post#61 » by rocketsfan100 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:48 am

aemannarwal wrote:He is a perfect specimen for basketball. But he won't win the title as a no 1 player and he has to accept it.

To his credit I think he has as George is now really there go to guy
AssistRubio
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,269

Post#62 » by AssistRubio » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:50 am

This title belongs to Melo. No once truly great player has ever gotten bashed as much as Melo has at least in this social media era. It's downright embarassing the flack he has taken.
abark
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,416

Post#63 » by abark » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:51 am

walker9 wrote:People always bash him no matter what he does. Always leads league in assists, people call him a chucker. Averages a triple double, people say he steals boards from players. Learn to respect how great he is and actually give him credit for how great he is. No one ever bashes Curry when he is averaging less than 6 assists per game.

Curry's team plays a ball movement offense that wouldn't allow a player to average 10-11 assists.
But he did have a year where he got to run the offense and he averaged 8.5 assists.

And you bring up assists, while completely ignoring turnovers. Curry usually averages around 3 turnovers per game, while Westbrook gets around 5. The last two seasons Westbrook's turnovers have ranked in the top 6 of all time. If Curry played in a system that was OK with him getting that many TO's, I have no doubt he could get 10 assists.

But assists and turnovers aren't really what separate how much better Curry is than Westbrook. The real difference between them is their scoring efficiency.

Westbrook has a TS% of 48% this year, which is the same as Andrew Wiggins. Curry on the other hand is shooting 66%. He's number 3 in the league behind Gobert and Deandre Jordan. Both low volume scorers that pretty much score on dunks.

Curry's scoring efficiency is way more impressive than Westbrook's inefficient triple doubles. His career TS% is 4th all time. And again, the players above him are low volume scorers that could only score on easy dunks and layups. Basically, Curry is the most efficient volume scorer ever, while Westbrook is shooting nearly 7% below league average (in TS).

And regarding the rebounding, it is simply a fact that Westbrook pads his rebounding stats (sorry if that makes you uncomfortable). His big men intentionally box out for him and allow him to grab easy boards. His percentage of contested rebounds is 17%. To put that in perspective, that puts him on the level of Rubio and McCollum. There are no big men or high volume rebounders that have that kind of percentage. Every player around him is a mediocre rebounding guard.

There is really just no comparison between who is more valuable. On one hand you have the most efficient volume scorer ever. On the other you have a guy who puts up amazing raw stats that seem less and less impressive the deeper you look into his advanced numbers.
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,289

Post#64 » by goodboy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:18 am

NBAFan93 wrote:
HeatWillRise wrote:He chucked like a mad man this all-star game uff

So did everyone else - it’s an all star game. People chuck shots in an All Star game. But he’s the only one who gets hate for it. I think that’s the point of this thread.

Other players chucked too, and his team took what was a 6 point lead w/ 8 minutes left in the 4th and turned it into a 16 point loss without him even being on the game - but he’s the one being blamed all over the ASG thread for “losing them the game” cause he went 1/8 from three (when LeBron was 1/8 too and Curry was 4/17).

calm down
Bright
WestbrookGOATed
Veteran
And1: 2,387

Post#65 » by WestbrookGOATed » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:24 am

GrandTheftRondo wrote:
Best2EverDoIt wrote:People dont understand how hard it is to get a triple double. He's averaging 21.7 11.2 and 11.2 3/4 of the way through the season. Can you imagine how hard it would be to purposely chase triple doubles and be conscious of your stats the entire game and still win consistently? If he constantly got triple doubles yet his team lost it wouldn't be as impressive, it would be obvious that he was more worried about his statline than winning. That however is not the case. He's winning games and just happens to be putting up historic stats while he's doing it.

There are other players capable of putting up numbers like that. They don't because their coach doesn't allow it and in the grand scheme of things it's irrelevant. LeBron is a great example of this.
The coach wont allow it? So if Lebron has 25 9 and 9 the coach is going to sit him just so he doesnt get a triple double? You act as if the whole team caters to Russ getting his triple doubles and that's just ridiculous. Lebron hasnt been getting triple doubles or winning this season, Russ has been doing both. Maybe if Lebron starts getting them he'll start winning too?
GrandTheftRondo
General Manager
And1: 8,959

Post#66 » by GrandTheftRondo » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:45 am

Best2EverDoIt wrote:
GrandTheftRondo wrote:
Best2EverDoIt wrote:People dont understand how hard it is to get a triple double. He's averaging 21.7 11.2 and 11.2 3/4 of the way through the season. Can you imagine how hard it would be to purposely chase triple doubles and be conscious of your stats the entire game and still win consistently? If he constantly got triple doubles yet his team lost it wouldn't be as impressive, it would be obvious that he was more worried about his statline than winning. That however is not the case. He's winning games and just happens to be putting up historic stats while he's doing it.

There are other players capable of putting up numbers like that. They don't because their coach doesn't allow it and in the grand scheme of things it's irrelevant. LeBron is a great example of this.
The coach wont allow it? So if Lebron has 25 9 and 9 the coach is going to sit him just so he doesnt get a triple double? You act as if the whole team caters to Russ getting his triple doubles and that's just ridiculous. Lebron hasnt been getting triple doubles or winning this season, Russ has been doing both. Maybe if Lebron starts getting them he'll start winning too?

Russ has a Center that willingly gives up rebounds. LeBron in his prime put in way more effort than Westbrook did defensively preventing him from chasing easy rebounds.

No idea about this year but in the past Westbrook would rather give up easy shots and chase rebounds rather than play locked in defence.

Russ isn’t winning because of triple doubles. He plays next to a guy having an MVP caliber season and also has a fairly decent roster around him.
dlughie
Ballboy
And1: 21

Post#67 » by dlughie » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:45 am

Collymore wrote:A guy stole my wife, set fire to the house I had spent 8 years building and got me fired from the job of my dreams and I still hate Westbrook more than him because it is warranted.

No wonder your wife let other men 'steal' her. Clearly your focus on life is not where it should be. Get it together man. :o :o
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,035

Post#68 » by JazzUte88 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:04 pm

It's because he shoots 18-30 times a night on mediocre efficiency.
Baski
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,950

Post#69 » by Baski » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:18 pm

Best2EverDoIt wrote:The coach wont allow it? So if Lebron has 25 9 and 9 the coach is going to sit him just so he doesnt get a triple double? You act as if the whole team caters to Russ getting his triple doubles and that's just ridiculous. Lebron hasnt been getting triple doubles or winning this season, Russ has been doing both. Maybe if Lebron starts getting them he'll start winning too?

It's a well-known fact that they do.

And lol @you suggesting that the Lakers are struggling because LeBron isn't getting triple doubles.
Baski
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,950

Post#70 » by Baski » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:20 pm

UtahJazzFan88 wrote:It's because he shoots 18-30 times a night on mediocre efficiency.

This is why he's called a chucker @OP.
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#71 » by LKN » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:25 pm

Yeah - so if you think Westbrook gets too much hate and you bring up Melo.... let's just say you aren't helping your case
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,020

Post#72 » by JN61 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:35 pm

Prokorov wrote:triple double is meaingless. it doesnt tell you how good or bad a game someone had. its so overhyped.

like 20/10/10/ on 8-33 shooting with 11 turnovers is a bad game

37/8/8 on 15-22 shooting with 1 turnover is a great game despite not being a triple double.

Good thing Westbrook doesn't average first one then.

I feel thing with Westbrook really is people don't give him enough credit how damn good passer and playmaker he is and just watch numbers and give him hate for it without actual eye test on regular basis.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
Lawyershawn
Senior
And1: 1,316

Post#73 » by Lawyershawn » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:36 pm

I agree.

Remember when Kobe called him the player that was most like him?

Difference between Kobe and Westbrook is, Kobe had the Lakers and their massive fanbase to support him from the sharks. Westbrook doesn't.
Lower Cases & Capitals
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,020

Post#74 » by JN61 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:38 pm

Pablo Escobar wrote:He has declined and with a broken jumpshot his game won't age well. This season has been brutal for him yet he still takes dumbass shots lol.

He has already proven he can change his game. He has been the best playmaker this year in the NBA by quite a wide margin. So even if his athletism and shooting leaves him he still has excellent vision and synergy with players.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,035

Post#75 » by JazzUte88 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:40 pm

Baski wrote:
UtahJazzFan88 wrote:It's because he shoots 18-30 times a night on mediocre efficiency.

This is why he's called a chucker @OP.

And there's nothing wrong with that as a fan. It's entertaining to see Russell shoot without a conscience sometimes. :lol: Just don't see RW winning a ring without another star. Dude put up 43 freaking shots in a playoff game last year (yeah I get why).
johanliebert
General Manager
And1: 5,665

Post#76 » by johanliebert » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:46 pm

walker9 wrote:People always bash him no matter what he does. Always leads league in assists, people call him a chucker. Averages a triple double, people say he steals boards from players. Learn to respect how great he is and actually give him credit for how great he is. No one ever bashes Curry when he is averaging less than 6 assists per game.

Lol you got me with the title.

People love guys that hustle until they “steal” boards..he just wants it more. Westbrook is the most bashed player in some time for a top 5 player.

Sucks that okc is wasting his talent Paul George isn’t enough a guy like Ferguson shouldn’t be one of his wings if they plan to win
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#77 » by Gooner » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:58 pm

stevegb wrote:He's not very likable, he comes across as extremely selfish and whiny

His teammates like him, that's all that matters. I respect the fact that he isn't a poser that cares about his reputation among media, and those casual fans.
Stribor
Pro Prospect
And1: 492

Post#78 » by Stribor » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:34 pm

Its because he is talented enough to be a winner, but has a mentality of a shoe salesman. If he would not have talent, no one would hate him ...
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Post#79 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:58 pm

Not really. I think Harden might top the list of players that only few like, cause of him being able to draw(initiate contact) fouls and that constant travel step-back 3.

I literally have no idea why he wears what he wears. His wardrobe looks like he lost a bet to someone and is now bound to walk around in clowny clothes.
Outside of his clothes the biggest knock on RW, is that he has kind of a low B-ball IQ, he's easily baited into a 1 v 5 and he takes really bad shots, very often. He's a freak athlete, tho and works really hard.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
And1: 11,904

Post#80 » by FlatearthZorro » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:59 pm

Collymore wrote:A guy stole my wife, set fire to the house I had spent 8 years building and got me fired from the job of my dreams and I still hate Westbrook more than him because it is warranted.

What?
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.

Return to The General Board