ECQF | P1 (4) Boston Celtics vs (5) Indiana Pacers

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Who will win?

Poll ended at Tue Apr 9, 2019 2:43 am

BOS in 4
8%
BOS in 5
30%
BOS in 6
33%
BOS in 7
11%
IND in 7
11%
IND in 6
6%
IND in 5
0%
IND in 4
1%

Total votes: 483

Joshyjess
Assistant Coach
And1: 7,893

Re: ECQF | P1 (4) Boston Celtics vs (5) Indiana Pacers 

Post#621 » by Joshyjess » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:13 am

Props to the Pacers, this team literally plays their butts off every game from opening tip to the final seconds. People keep asking how it's possible that a team missing it's best player, and probably not as talented as other teams can stay in games - it's because of the incredible hustle they display.
Should Boston go on to win this series, they are going to find whoever they play next to almost be a breath of fresh air defensively. Milwaukee (should they win) doesn't play with the same defensive mind-set that the Pacers do. Sure, the Bucks are more talented then Indiana, but they don't play nearly as hard as the Pacers do. The Pacers have hardly given Boston a single play where they haven't attacked them full force.
I do believe the C's will finish this series off in about 5 games, but the Pacers are giving them every last ounce of energy they have. Major props!!!
ForeverTFC
RealGM
And1: 14,251

Post#622 » by ForeverTFC » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:20 am

Nuntius wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:Pretty much how I predicted this series would be...

Indy would be tough, fight tooth & nail but in the end just not have the talent to keep up with BOS without Vic. Really has to suck for Pacers' fans to think how different the series may have been.

This. It's really, really unfortunate but that's how the sport is. Personally, I believed the exact same thing as you. We will be a tough out. The games will be close. We won't get swept. But, at the end, we won't be able to outscore them. We will lose in 5 or 6.

That said, seeing it happen still hurts a lot. Especially with the way that it is happening. Especially tonight. Not being able to get the ball in was just unbelievable. We knew that our offense would be our downfall. We knew that we go into scoring lulls. But they have never been so bad. It has never been so exaggerated. It isn't surprising, though, since Boston is a great defensive and Brad Stevens have game-planned against Bojan, our biggest threat without Dipo.

It just sucks, man. It sucks.

Series is a prime example of why superstars are so important in the playoffs. You can game plan and nullify a system and system players in a 7 game series. At the end of the day, it comes down to who's got the best star.
London2Boston
General Manager
And1: 12,018

Post#623 » by London2Boston » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:34 am

Full respect to Pacers. As Celtics fans, we all know and feel the pain of going into the playoffs without your star player. Series could have been very interesting otherwise.
peachbucket
Sixth Man
And1: 659

Post#624 » by peachbucket » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:05 am

ForeverTFC wrote:
Nuntius wrote:
PhilBlackson wrote:Pretty much how I predicted this series would be...

Indy would be tough, fight tooth & nail but in the end just not have the talent to keep up with BOS without Vic. Really has to suck for Pacers' fans to think how different the series may have been.

This. It's really, really unfortunate but that's how the sport is. Personally, I believed the exact same thing as you. We will be a tough out. The games will be close. We won't get swept. But, at the end, we won't be able to outscore them. We will lose in 5 or 6.

That said, seeing it happen still hurts a lot. Especially with the way that it is happening. Especially tonight. Not being able to get the ball in was just unbelievable. We knew that our offense would be our downfall. We knew that we go into scoring lulls. But they have never been so bad. It has never been so exaggerated. It isn't surprising, though, since Boston is a great defensive and Brad Stevens have game-planned against Bojan, our biggest threat without Dipo.

It just sucks, man. It sucks.

Series is a prime example of why superstars are so important in the playoffs. You can game plan and nullify a system and system players in a 7 game series. At the end of the day, it comes down to who's got the best star.

Yup, this is exactly why you give Kyrie the max and never look back...he just has a different gear for the postseason.
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#625 » by Gooner » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:01 am

Andrew_M08 wrote:Lol either of these teams will lose to Milwaukee in 5 games max

Boston will handle Atlanta Hawk...I mean Milwaukee Bucks, the same way they did last year.
titlebound1
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,354

Post#626 » by titlebound1 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:35 am

I feel like a lot of people on this board will be finding ways to discount every Boston win. But they're going to have to come up with quite a few excuses.
itrsteve
Lead Assistant
And1: 9,156

Post#627 » by itrsteve » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:31 am

London2Boston wrote:Full respect to Pacers. As Celtics fans, we all know and feel the pain of going into the playoffs without your star player. Series could have been very interesting otherwise.

It's still a series, I'm not writing their obituary until we see the outcome of Friday.

These haven't exactly been commanding wins by Boston, Indiana has had a pair of a few minute stretches where they've been a black hole, they could easily clean that up at home.
truly
Starter
And1: 2,085

Post#628 » by truly » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:08 pm

Gooner wrote:
Andrew_M08 wrote:Lol either of these teams will lose to Milwaukee in 5 games max

Boston will handle Atlanta Hawk...I mean Milwaukee Bucks, the same way they did last year.

So they will lose every away game?Good thing they have home court then.Oh wait..
Baddy Chuck wrote:
Oscar71 wrote:
Did you really just post a lineup with the starting 2 guard being JR Smith?

Our actual management posted a lineup with the starting 2 guard being Tony Snell.
Gooner
Head Coach

Post#629 » by Gooner » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:20 pm

truly wrote:
Gooner wrote:

So they will lose every away game?Good thing they have home court then.Oh wait..

It's nice to have a home court, but that doesn't make you safe. Better team will win. Celtics were underdogs last year, despite home court. But things didn't go according to expectations for the Bucks.
Raptor_Guy
General Manager
And1: 3,051

Post#630 » by Raptor_Guy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:38 pm

So what exactly happened on that inbounds play from Matthews? You have a timeout where I assume a set play was drawn up, how did they mess that up so horribly?
CeltsfaninDC
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,335

Post#631 » by CeltsfaninDC » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:24 pm

itrsteve wrote:
London2Boston wrote:Full respect to Pacers. As Celtics fans, we all know and feel the pain of going into the playoffs without your star player. Series could have been very interesting otherwise.

It's still a series, I'm not writing their obituary until we see the outcome of Friday.

These haven't exactly been commanding wins by Boston, Indiana has had a pair of a few minute stretches where they've been a black hole, they could easily clean that up at home.

Agreed. Lets stop all of this planning for the Bucks because I’m certain they aren’t doing this in the locker room.
Percentsign
Senior
And1: 652

Post#632 » by Percentsign » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:35 pm

Raptor_Guy wrote:So what exactly happened on that inbounds play from Matthews? You have a timeout where I assume a set play was drawn up, how did they mess that up so horribly?

I don't think anyone from Pacers has revealed what play they had set. Whether Bogdanovic should have been looking for the pass, or whether Matthews made a bad decision. Nobody knows.

For what it's worth, Matthews took responsibility, saying he should have taken better care of the ball. That's really all we have:

https://www.foxsports.com/indiana/video/1497442371974
Durant Durant
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,094

Post#633 » by Durant Durant » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:10 pm

i was SMH-ing so much on that horrendous inbounds play my head nearly unscrewed from its socket.
No no yes yes
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,083

Post#634 » by mademan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:22 pm

Gooner wrote:
truly wrote:
Gooner wrote:

It's nice to have a home court, but that doesn't make you safe. Better team will win. Celtics were underdogs last year, despite home court. But things didn't go according to expectations for the Bucks.

Bucks are the better team tho, lol. Better best player, better defense, better 3pt shooting, better rebounding...

It's actually kind of difficult to find an area where the C's are better. The C's havent looked better in this series than they have in the RS while the Bucks continued their RS play through the first 2 games; I'm not sure when this switch is gonna get turned on, but if this play isnt gonna cut it against the Bucks
Jadoogar
RealGM
And1: 14,559

Post#635 » by Jadoogar » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:35 pm

It seems like this is going to be the exact same game 4 times. Pacers will stick around or have the lead for 2-3 quarters just because they have a good defense and play hard. However, they will eventually crumble down the stretch because they will run out of gas. Boston can turn to Kyrie Irving to create shots when things aren't working, Pacers have to turn to Thad Young or Bojan.

Sucks that Oladipo got hurt but props to the Pacers for making it this far.
Pacers_Freak
Veteran
And1: 2,711

Post#636 » by Pacers_Freak » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:37 pm

Without Vic the Pacers just lack a creator. No one else can create. In crunch time they couldn’t score in a women’s prison with a fist full of pardons.
Gooner
Head Coach

Post#637 » by Gooner » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:43 pm

mademan wrote:
Gooner wrote:
truly wrote:

Bucks are the better team tho, lol. Better best player, better defense, better 3pt shooting, better rebounding...

It's actually kind of difficult to find an area where the C's are better. The C's havent looked better in this series than they have in the RS while the Bucks continued their RS play through the first 2 games; I'm not sure when this switch is gonna get turned on, but if this play isnt gonna cut it against the Bucks

Bucks should win easily then, ok. No excuses for them.
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,083

Post#638 » by mademan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:47 pm

Gooner wrote:
mademan wrote:
Gooner wrote:

Bucks should win easily then, ok. No excuses for them.

They really don't. All 3 teams (Bucks/Raps/C's) are finals or failures this year. I dont think any team looks at this season favourably if they lose before then
PierceFan4ever
RealGM
And1: 38,010

Post#639 » by PierceFan4ever » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:00 pm

What’s up with Myles Turner’s game? Is he strictly a jump shooter especially from three these days? I thought he had more to his game in the low post but so far haven’t seen it or did he completely change things up with the way he plays?
Green89
RealGM
And1: 26,603

Post#640 » by Green89 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:13 pm

truly wrote:
Gooner wrote:

I'm pretty confident in saying that having Irving and Hayward is more of an advantage this year, over not having either one but having home court last year.

Return to The General Board