ECQF | P2 (3) Philadelphia 76ers vs (6) Brooklyn Nets

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Who will win?

BKN in 5
1%
BKN in 6
6%
BKN in 7
17%
PHI in 5
35%
PHI in 6
36%
PHI in 7
7%

Total votes: 121

dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,494

Re: ECQF | P2 (3) Philadelphia 76ers vs (6) Brooklyn Nets 

Post#541 » by dhsilv2 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:52 pm

VDT wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
VDT wrote:
I dont care whether Russell will get a max contract, after all Wiggins has one also. I wouldnt want my team to be the one that gives him a max contract though.

In the end depends on the goals of each team and GM. Only one team wins every year and only a few have any chance at all to win. So in these 50-60 guys that are due for a max contracts there will be guys that outperform their contracts, there are guys that perform on par with their contracts and there are guys like Russell that underperform. Why would i want such a player if my goal is to win a title? In fact why would i want a player that performs on par? If i am going to be a contender, that is by definition well above average, i need my players to outperform their contracts (generally speaking because not all teams have the same payroll).

Of course this is difficult but winning a title is also difficult but that should imo be the goal. As such i wouldn't want Russell long term on my team on a max contract because he doesn't deserve that money based on his performance and i dont see a significant upside to justify it. If the Nets think they can trade him to open space in the future it might make sense but even that is debetable.

You have a cap. You have to fill it in. It doesn't matter WHERE you get added value. Russell is easily worth 25% as he is now. That's before we project forward. Clearly you'd like him to end up being worth 30-35%, but you can't always get that.

Regardless due to his age at WORST you have a contract that you can move. It isn't like a team is suck with a guy for 5 years, unless there's an injury.

If you go around waiting to find effectively under paid employees, you're going to forever fail to build a team.

Well it is not easy to find such a players but you need to if you want to field a team with title aspirations otherwise you end up with Wiggins, Wall, Blake etc and your team is going nowhere. Now i don't discredit this strategy because it has its merits particularly for risk averse GMs that want to keep the jobs as long as possible or owners that are happy to just make the playoffs. But if you want something more you need players that outperform their contracts and historically this is most effectively done by getting real stars who cant be paid according to their value.

By the way you haven't mentioned why an offense only player with four years in a row of below average efficiency with no significant physical tools and with injury concerns deserves a max contract.

Apart from that, if the Nets get a top free agent or more which i think should be their plan i don't see how Russell will fit in a more off ball role since he is not an elite shooter and he is not a defender. Again i am not a Nets fan so i may be completely off but to me Russell looks to be in the dreaded archetype of a player who needs the ball in his hands to provide his impact (not a defender, not an elite shooter) but he is not good enough to lead you anywhere if you give him the ball (below average efficiency, lack of athleticism/physical tools, low free throw rate). If i were the Nets GMs and didn't have any other alternative i would offer him enough money that his contract can still be moved without giving up value. If he doesn't accept that i would just let him go.

Russell had a RPM WINS of about 7 (41st in the league) and VORP 3.3 (27th). At the end of the day I need a guy who contributes to wins over replacement at a level that justifies the pay. Russell is doing that at 22.

Sure I'd rather he be good at more things, but I can hide a bad defensive point guard to an extent. He's absolutely a piece I can build around, just understanding that I can't go after another high usage guard. But more importantly, unless he gets hurt, I can always trade him for a different piece. I think you're ignoring that very important aspect.

Also he's by no means Wiggins. Wiggins by these same metrics was complete trash and still is. Russell unlike Wiggins is actually putting up top 50 player impact stats. Russell unlike Wiggins is doing it on a team that's making the playoffs with him as the best player.
kb24k
Junior
And1: 355

Post#542 » by kb24k » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:02 pm

I don't know what were Nets thinking with that defense on Ben Simmons. They should watch some tapes with how the Celtics are defending him. They basically let him play on a fast break all game, even when they were on half court...

No Islanders fans in the arena? I thought the 2 teams targeted the same fanbase.
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,450

Post#543 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:10 pm

Sixers should rest Embiid for the rest of the series. They have enough to put the Nets away, and they'll need Joel in the next round
spikeslovechild
RealGM
And1: 5,989

Post#544 » by spikeslovechild » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:35 pm

ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:Sixers should rest Embiid for the rest of the series. They have enough to put the Nets away, and they'll need Joel in the next round

They have no answer for Boban or bigs who can score he could start and we'd still win the series.
Novocaine
Veteran
And1: 1,584

Post#545 » by Novocaine » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:39 pm

Black Mage wrote:
Novocaine wrote:
Jazztop wrote:Really? Who’s going to put the ball in the hoop for the Pacers?
Does a Blake Griffin with....Reggie Jackson, Andre Drummond and...who else is there? Zaza? make them better than the Sixers?

Ok let them win a game vs the Bucks before we even entertain this conversation.

Pacers - the same guys who did the entire season - but here they'd be playing a defense trotting out one of Boban/Monroe (and some Scott) + Reddit out there. Plus Harris. Two absolutely miserable defenders, plus another very weak one. This is awful, especially for a playoff series. How do you not put a couple of ballhandlers out there and run a 2-5 pick'n'roll to death? I mean, even the Nets created an awful lot of open shots, but missed them. Pacers may be struggling to score against Boston, but Boston has a bunch of average-to-good defenders out there - just a completely different world. ANd on the other hand you have a team running zones with Dudley's corpse at the 5 and that can't rebound. I don't see Indiana struggling that much to score on these teams.

Detroit - Kennard? IMO Kennard is Detroit's second best player at this point, needs to be feature more. Not sure why you believe Detroit needs to win a game to even entertain this conversation - that makes no sense. Bucks are one of the top teams in the league and a title contender, they have nothing to do with these Brooklyn/76ers teams that played today.

Please stop spouting nonsense. The Sixers beat both the Pacers and Detroit 3-1 in their season series. The Sixers scored over 100 points against the Pacers and the Pacers failed to score 100 points in 3 of the 4 games.

What part of (Philly sans Embiid of course) did you struggle to understand?

And even if you missed the phrase, how on earth would you miss the fact that I explicitly go on on how the 76ers defense is incredibly vulnerable because they're putting miserable defenders at the 5 for 48 minutes (I even named them Boban/Monroe+Scott, paired with another atrocious defender at the 2 and a weak one at the 4 - I mean, the post you replied to is 90% about that exact issue?

Seriously, how is it even possible? Either you are so unhinged that you couldn't bother to actually read the comment you were replying to or, I don't know, you actually read the part about 48 minutes of Boban/Monroe/Scott, which was pretty much central to the argument, but lacked the cognitive ability to processs it? You tell us which one is it.

Frankly, regular season records are weak predictors of playoff series. Reg season records with different rosters even more. But my comment was explicitly about the two teams that were playing today, so no Embiid - obviously without Embiid Philly isn't that weak.

Anyway, my point stands - not only these teams are weak, they're weak in areas that are easily exploitable in a playoffs series. In other words, I'd expect both the Nets and Philly w/o Embiid to underperform relatively to the reg season by a significant margin. If you disagree, feel free to make basketball arguments on why.
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#546 » by kuclas » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:12 pm

ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:Sixers should rest Embiid for the rest of the series. They have enough to put the Nets away, and they'll need Joel in the next round

Considering it takes embiid 5-6 games just to get into shape. After long layoff (greater than 1 week off). U won’t get a dominant embiid vs Toronto.

And considering embiid has really been only one to keep sixers competitive vs raptors this season. It’s looking very bad for sixers to beat Toronto with out of shape embiid.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#547 » by kamaze » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:50 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
CoreyGallagher wrote:Actually didn't mind Dudley's assessment of Simmons, the media just phrased it in a way to get Simmons to react, however I don't mind a motivated Simmons.

Read on Twitter

Dudley is so embarrassing.

Notice how Russell/Levert/Dinwiddie didn't say anything stupid. Bum ass Dudley has to take all the headlines and then does nothing but air ball 3s.

Dudley is the only with the balls to say something.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
Ben Simmons
Starter
And1: 1,077

Post#548 » by Ben Simmons » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:10 pm

Philly will beat Golden State if both teams make it to the Finals :droop:
Ben Simmons 25.5ppg 11.5rpg 8.5apg .714fg .733ft vs. Golden State this year.
JimmyRustle
Sophomore
And1: 198

Post#549 » by JimmyRustle » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:34 pm

kamaze wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
CoreyGallagher wrote:Actually didn't mind Dudley's assessment of Simmons, the media just phrased it in a way to get Simmons to react, however I don't mind a motivated Simmons.

Dudley is so embarrassing.

Notice how Russell/Levert/Dinwiddie didn't say anything stupid. Bum ass Dudley has to take all the headlines and then does nothing but air ball 3s.

When trash guys that don't do **** on the court talk **** it means nothing.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,833

Post#550 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:29 pm

JimmyRustle wrote:
kamaze wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

Trust me on this, if D'Angelo Russell was the one talking trash, he'd be in here right now dogging Russell for doing what he just gave Dudley props for.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#551 » by LloydFree » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:29 pm

To tell the truth, I was a little concerned that Ben Simmons wasn't taking his opponent seriously enough, after I heard his response to Dudley's comments. I thought the 76ers were about to find themselves in a mess, because they weren't going to realize they were in a series until game 4. But it was just the opposite. The Nets lack of effort was shocking, and Simmons came out like he was possessed.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
Ugly Duckling
Veteran
And1: 1,538

Post#552 » by Ugly Duckling » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:33 pm

People overrate Embiid's importance to this team and underrate Simmons and company. Embiid is a great player and I was high on him back when ppl were questioning his potential, but Simmons is a savage. Butler, Harris and Redick are no joke either. Rd 2 is going to be sick
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#553 » by kamaze » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:46 pm

JimmyRustle wrote:
kamaze wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

On the young team only the old vet gets it that they have to stand up. The rest of the players are soft.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
kuclas
General Manager

Post#554 » by kuclas » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:00 am

Ugly Duckling wrote:People overrate Embiid's importance to this team and underrate Simmons and company. Embiid is a great player and I was high on him back when ppl were questioning his potential, but Simmons is a savage. Butler, Harris and Redick are no joke either. Rd 2 is going to be sick

Sixers 8-10 without embiid

43-21 with embiid.

Going .500 or slightly below .500 over 18 games is a big enough sample to show how much valuable is embiid is to the team.

Sixers are playing the nets. They can get away without embiid. They have zero shot without embiid against the other 3 eastern conference teams (Boston Toronto Milwaukee).

The issue is Simmons is not strong enough yet to play even small ball 5 slot. And sixers really don’t have a capable 5 who can guard those other teams 5.
kuclas
General Manager

Post#555 » by kuclas » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:17 am

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26562381/embiid-sore-knee-listed-doubtful-game-4

Looks like embiid may not play the rest of the series as long as sixers keep winning. M

His knee has to be shot. This is just not normal management of tendinitis for professional basketball player. Guess we won’t get our real answer from sixers organization till after they get eliminated in the second round.
JimmyRustle
Sophomore
And1: 198

Post#556 » by JimmyRustle » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:22 am

kamaze wrote:
JimmyRustle wrote:
kamaze wrote:

On the young team only the old vet gets it that they have to stand up. The rest of the players are soft.

Well, he should’ve gave a couple hard fouls to Simmons to send a message but trash talking when you’re contributing nothing doesn’t do anything but motivate the opposition
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,119

Post#557 » by eyeatoma » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:34 am

kuclas wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26562381/embiid-sore-knee-listed-doubtful-game-4

Looks like embiid may not play the rest of the series as long as sixers keep winning. M

His knee has to be shot. This is just not normal management of tendinitis for professional basketball player. Guess we won’t get our real answer from sixers organization till after they get eliminated in the second round.

Dude you've been speculating this whole time. I agree it's not a good look, but why play him and risk reinjury when we're up on this series. To be honest, if we can't beat the Nets without Embiid, then I doubt we're contenders anyway.

I'm thinking it's either a meniscus tear, or tendonitis. Our own resident insider said if it was anything more the team wouldn't let him play, but the fact that they're managing this makes me agree with him.
kuclas
General Manager

Post#558 » by kuclas » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:04 am

eyeatoma wrote:
kuclas wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26562381/embiid-sore-knee-listed-doubtful-game-4

Dude you've been speculating this whole time. I agree it's not a good look, but why play him and risk reinjury when we're up on this series. To be honest, if we can't beat the Nets without Embiid, then I doubt we're contenders anyway.

I'm thinking it's either a meniscus tear, or tendonitis. Our own resident insider said if it was anything more the team wouldn't let him play, but the fact that they're managing this makes me agree with him.

I’m medical. Yes. Real medical degree. Ortho isn’t my speciality. But my ortho friends i work with are speculating as well. Mri can have false negatives. Nothing is 100% accurate.

Sixers are buying time. But he continues to have knee pain despite “negative mri” often warrants diagnostic knee arthroscopy in the near future. But sixers and embiid will have to decide on that in the off season.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,119

Post#559 » by eyeatoma » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:15 am

kuclas wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

I’m medical. Yes. Real medical degree. Ortho isn’t my speciality. But my ortho friends i work with are speculating as well. Mri can have false negatives. Nothing is 100% accurate.

Sixers are buying time. But he continues to have knee pain despite “negative mri” often warrants diagnostic knee arthroscopy in the near future. But sixers and embiid will have to decide on that in the off season.

He's had multiple MRI's is what I've heard. I agree he'll probalbly have a scope done when the summer starts. He might also have lose bodies from the previous meniscus tears that require a clean up. Westbrook has had this multiple times.
JKiddy
Bench Warmer
And1: 321

Post#560 » by JKiddy » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:41 am

Will the Nets actually show up for Game 4?

Return to The General Board