NBA playoff ratings down -15% to -45% from last year

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

JordanBPeterson
Junior
And1: 585

Re: NBA playoff ratings down -15% to -45% from last year 

Post#161 » by JordanBPeterson » Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:29 pm

Who cares about ratings? TV distribution already signed their name on the dotted line and cheques in the mail.

The advertisers will always be there also. Where else are they going to put their advertiser dollars? Hockey?

The NBA is in the best shape it's ever been as a whole - the problem is smaller TV markets don't draw enough money which is why half of the league's teams need to be subsidized but that's never going to change so why worry about it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using RealGM mobile app
ajones9219
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,586

Post#162 » by ajones9219 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:59 pm

yoyoboy wrote:
ajones9219 wrote:I don't see the Lebron or the superteam stuff. I live in Ohio and if anything I feel like there are more people here talking about and watching the NBA than in previous years. I was talking to a worker at a sporting clothing place the other day (The Buckeye Corner) and he was telling me that jersey sales were way up this year, especially for Kyrie, Durant, and Luca jerseys (random). I think honestly there is just so much going on right now with GOT, Avengers, ect. and that the first round matchups aren't that good. They will pick up the further we get

I live in Ohio and go to school out of state, and I honestly don't know anyone who's been paying attention to the NBA this year. When I mention anything about the playoffs, I always get the same reaction: "Oh, the playoffs started already?"

Lol weird. Columbus? That's where I'm at and I've had the polar opposite experience
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,804

Post#163 » by yoyoboy » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:32 pm

ajones9219 wrote:
yoyoboy wrote:
ajones9219 wrote:I don't see the Lebron or the superteam stuff. I live in Ohio and if anything I feel like there are more people here talking about and watching the NBA than in previous years. I was talking to a worker at a sporting clothing place the other day (The Buckeye Corner) and he was telling me that jersey sales were way up this year, especially for Kyrie, Durant, and Luca jerseys (random). I think honestly there is just so much going on right now with GOT, Avengers, ect. and that the first round matchups aren't that good. They will pick up the further we get

I live in Ohio and go to school out of state, and I honestly don't know anyone who's been paying attention to the NBA this year. When I mention anything about the playoffs, I always get the same reaction: "Oh, the playoffs started already?"

Lol weird. Columbus? That's where I'm at and I've had the polar opposite experience

Cleveland, and I go to school in Tennessee. And that's interesting, I'm not surprised Clevelanders aren't talking about the Cavs considering how awful they are (things will only pick up if we get Zion), but even when LeBron left to Miami, I found there was still a lot of interest and attention paid to the NBA in general. Now, nobody seems to really care much.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Post#164 » by Impuniti » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:23 pm

yoyoboy wrote:The postseason just feels stranger without LeBron. When LeBron's in the playoffs, he brings out those who follow him religiously, those who hate him with a passion and watch to see him fail, and those who are indifferent but watch the competition to see what EC team might be able to take down LeBron.

As much as the hardcore fans might want parity, super teams and dominance by individual players is what sells in the NBA and always has. Bird/Magic saved the NBA with their stranglehold over Finals appearances in the 80s. MJ's dominance in the 90s took the sport to another level of popularity. Kobe and Shaq was next. Then the Heatles. Then the Warriors.

The NBA has marketed itself as a superstar and superteam driven league with certain guys (LeBron, MJ, Magic, Wilt, etc) who are bigger than life. And that's what sells.

That sells every sport, not just the NBA. It's just a nice dream where balance somehow makes the league better.
Billy Goat
Analyst
And1: 1,616

Post#165 » by Billy Goat » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:27 pm

JordanBPeterson wrote:Who cares about ratings? TV distribution already signed their name on the dotted line and cheques in the mail.

The advertisers will always be there also. Where else are they going to put their advertiser dollars? Hockey?

The NBA is in the best shape it's ever been as a whole - the problem is smaller TV markets don't draw enough money which is why half of the league's teams need to be subsidized but that's never going to change so why worry about it.

wut
yoyoboy
RealGM
And1: 18,804

Post#166 » by yoyoboy » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:44 am

Impuniti wrote:
yoyoboy wrote:The postseason just feels stranger without LeBron. When LeBron's in the playoffs, he brings out those who follow him religiously, those who hate him with a passion and watch to see him fail, and those who are indifferent but watch the competition to see what EC team might be able to take down LeBron.

As much as the hardcore fans might want parity, super teams and dominance by individual players is what sells in the NBA and always has. Bird/Magic saved the NBA with their stranglehold over Finals appearances in the 80s. MJ's dominance in the 90s took the sport to another level of popularity. Kobe and Shaq was next. Then the Heatles. Then the Warriors.

The NBA has marketed itself as a superstar and superteam driven league with certain guys (LeBron, MJ, Magic, Wilt, etc) who are bigger than life. And that's what sells.

That sells every sport, not just the NBA. It's just a nice dream where balance somehow makes the league better.

Not true. It's not the same for the NFL. They don't focus nearly as heavily on players (partly due to the nature of the sport) and good teams get followed no matter which players are leading the team. Bad teams also get significantly more exposure in the NFL than bad teams in the NBA, too.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
And1: 4,771

Post#167 » by Sprewell4Three » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:57 am

You cannot compare the league after Jordan left to the league now with Lebron out of the playoffs. I remember vividly in the late 90s how much of a gaping hole Jordan left when he retired. I don't see the gaping hole currently in the league. I mean you have alot of popular players that are currently in the playoffs. Then next season you have Zion coming into the league. Oh and dont forget Doncic as well. I think the league today is in pretty good shape compared to league post Jordan.
LAvision
Sixth Man
And1: 4,248

Post#168 » by LAvision » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:20 am

JordanBPeterson wrote:Who cares about ratings? TV distribution already signed their name on the dotted line and cheques in the mail.

:lol:

Welcome Adam Silver.
Jables
Analyst
And1: 2,443

Post#169 » by Jables » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:50 am

Damn, a few percentage points is nothing but that's a huge difference.
asas
Pro Prospect
And1: 586

Post#170 » by asas » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:03 am

Other players will replace Lebron as biggest attractions. Now the league is still pushing Lebron as the guy to watch and he's not in the playoffs - obviously a big ratings hit. There will be a gap during Lebron's decline and after he retires, then Nba will throw all their resources to promote another guy as the "New King" and it'll bounce back.
isiah_thomas
Analyst
And1: 1,154

Post#171 » by isiah_thomas » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:55 pm

A lot of these teams arent going to bring in ratings and let's look at the series

Rockets/jazz- games been over in 1st quarter

Spurs/nuggets- good series but its on NBA TV who nobody watches

Thunder/blazers- thunder didnt show up 1st two games

Bucks/pistons- no blake griffin . pistons have no shot to compete

Pacers/pacers- no oladipo

Raptors/magic - not going to do big ratings in the U.S

Nets/sixers- on the surface based on markets looks like this series should do big but etc aren't big for ratings
Soupman
Assistant Coach
And1: 759

Post#172 » by Soupman » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:56 pm

Anticon wrote:In case you're wondering, Durant will be in New York next year.

No Chicago, New York, Lakers, or Lebron is poison for ratings. They'll resolve fairly quickly.

People don't want to stay up late on the east coast to watch Lebron,KD and Curry.
Convert municipal and agricultural waste to refined natural gas. Sell the refined natural gas to gas companies. Use the money to provide a monthly basic income to people that earn less than $28,000 a year.
Yank3525
Starter
And1: 2,352

Post#173 » by Yank3525 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:24 pm

ReggieSlater wrote:The NBA is still heavily invested in the old cable model for ratings when the world is quickly moving away from it. They will be left behind if they can't accommodate modern viewers like other content providers have. NBA League Pass is simply not a realistic or competitive service, when you look at the price and the content they lock out.

This is a sign of the times. There's a revolution happening with regard to cable television and those that don't adapt will not succeed.

This.

LeBron not being in the playoffs hurts, but this the real reason for the decline. Even the NFL started to provide streaming online. The NBA needs to follow suit, they are still operating as if it is the 2000's.
cwas2882
General Manager
And1: 5,802

Post#174 » by cwas2882 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:28 pm

Should have kept the Raptors series on NBATv
Novocaine
Veteran
And1: 1,584

Post#175 » by Novocaine » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:03 am

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but in case you aren't - the current TV deal expires in 5 years It's not signed on perpetuity. Before that, the current broadcast holders will look at the numbers - if the ROI of their NBA tv rights investment is below their expectations, that will inform their proposals for the future. If the NBA audience declines, the NBA will get less tv money in the future.

In other words, in a few years from now we might be talking about the cap cratering and NBA players salaries having 15% to 45% cuts. Perhaps a cap smoothing will be discussed where players get their salaries cut over a few years.
JordanBPeterson
Junior

Post#176 » by JordanBPeterson » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:31 am

Novocaine wrote:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic, but in case you aren't - the current TV deal expires in 5 years It's not signed on perpetuity. Before that, the current broadcast holders will look at the numbers - if the ROI of their NBA tv rights investment is below their expectations, that will inform their proposals for the future. If the NBA audience declines, the NBA will get less tv money in the future.

In other words, in a few years from now we might be talking about the cap cratering and NBA players salaries having 15% to 45% cuts. Perhaps a cap smoothing will be discussed where players get their salaries cut over a few years.
I know how TV distribution works - you're singing to the choir here.

The projections for sports entertainment around the world are trending upwards practically everywhere. Look at the UK where the Premier League negotiated one of the largest TV contracts in history. The funny thing is that not long after the deal was signed there was a court ruling that allowed pubs to televise games to patrons using out of country distribution from a country like Greece where the rights were sold for much cheaper. It turns out that people will still pay a premium for local distribution because they care a lot about the pre-game and post-game content.

So while macro numbers are trending down in terms of hard ratings, the major sporting leagues are getting way richer. This isn't going to change anytime soon.

If you don't believe me we can bet on whether the new NBA TV contract is going to be more lucrative than the previous one or poorer - I'm counting on the former.

Novocaine
Veteran
And1: 1,584

Post#177 » by Novocaine » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:41 am

JordanBPeterson wrote:
Novocaine wrote:

The projections for sports entertainment around the world are trending upwards practically everywhere. Look at the UK where the Premier League negotiated one of the largest TV contracts in history. The funny thing is that not long after the deal was signed there was a court ruling that allowed pubs to televise games to patrons using out of country distribution from a country like Greece where the rights were sold for much cheaper. It turns out that people will still pay a premium for local distribution because they care a lot about the pre-game and post-game content.

So while macro numbers are trending down in terms of hard ratings, the major sporting leagues are getting way richer. This isn't going to change anytime soon.

If you don't believe me we can bet on whether the new NBA TV contract is going to be more lucrative than the previous one or poorer - I'm counting on the former.

I'm sorry but you're simply misinformed about this stuff. The Premier League tv rights revenue actually declined in the last deal signed, for the first time in many years.´

https://www.economist.com/business/2018/01/18/a-weak-market-for-football-rights-suggests-a-lower-value-for-sport

https://www.tifosy.com/en/news_stories/why-the-premier-league-s-domestic-tv-rights-look-set-to-decrease-3335

I deal with this stuff for a job; a bet wouldn't be fair. If the playoff audience numbers stay at this type of numbers, this year and in the future, consistently 15-45% below 2018 values, I assure you the next NBA tv contract will be far smaller (unless inflation explodes but then it'd be only larger in nominal terms, smaller in real ones).

Stick to philosophy, psychology, public policy and academic freedom, you're good at that.
JordanBPeterson
Junior

Post#178 » by JordanBPeterson » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:04 am

Novocaine wrote:
JordanBPeterson wrote:
Novocaine wrote:

I'm sorry but you're simply misinformed about this stuff. The Premier League tv rights revenue actually declined in the last deal signed, for the first time in many years.´

https://www.economist.com/business/2018/01/18/a-weak-market-for-football-rights-suggests-a-lower-value-for-sport

https://www.tifosy.com/en/news_stories/why-the-premier-league-s-domestic-tv-rights-look-set-to-decrease-3335

I deal with this stuff for a job; a bet wouldn't be fair. If the playoff audience numbers stay at this type of numbers, this year and in the future, consistently 15-45% below 2018 values, I assure you the next NBA tv contract will be far smaller (unless inflation explodes but then it'd be only larger in nominal terms, smaller in real ones).

Stick to philosophy, psychology, public policy and academic freedom, you're good at that.
Why do you have to jerk yourself off in your reply to me and then cap it off by quoting the **** economist? I mean honestly.

Take a step back from your 'market economics' text book you still keep in your briefcase (hopefully nothing written by Krugman) and look at the situation for what it is. Yes there is a lot of content in the world but very few "good" content - the NBA, NFL, Premier League are the most premium sports content providers money can buy. The content creators that represent these platforms are holding all the cards and now with digital tracking they can leverage even more subcontent and create even more streams of revenue.

Now if you want to have a conversation about how distribution needs to be more efficient in how they disseminate content then that could be interesting but don't quote me some bull written in the 'economist'.

EDIT

Also 45% drop ... that's some PCP **** you added to your cigarette I have to say. Come back to reality my friend.

I Hate Manure
Junior
And1: 424

Post#179 » by I Hate Manure » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:43 am

JimmerAllStar wrote:
I think you're right. Giannis has the 2nd most fan votes for the All-Star game, and Bucks ratings were still down -36%. The hardcore fans are watching, but the casual fans are not.

Bucks ratings are up 33%, the highest since the 2001 Ray Allen team. Not sure where you got that number from.
sule
RealGM
And1: 34,205

Post#180 » by sule » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:38 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:Most the media spent the year hyping up teams that aren't just that good. That's why, thank ESPN.

Pretty much.

Raptors and Bucks were the #1's all season.

Pacers were 3rd most of the season, basically until the very end.

Yet all the talk about the East was centred on Philly and Boston being the teams to beat.

and for the West, all the talk /gossip centred around the Warriors and Lakers and Houston with little actual discussion about the Nuggets (the team that was 1st most of the season). Blazers finished 3rd and nary a peep.

The NBA and these channels do this to themselves. And they deserve to lose all that money as a result.

Return to The General Board