NBA playoff ratings down -15% to -45% from last year

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,760

Re: NBA playoff ratings down -15% to -45% from last year 

Post#121 » by XtremeDunkz » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:43 pm

Casual fans are down due to lack of Lebron

Hardcore fans are down due to lack of defense and jacking up 3s.

The NBA tried to have both sides and this is what happens.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
Phish Tank
RealGM
And1: 12,333

Post#122 » by Phish Tank » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:53 pm

Bron, GoT, Masters, games on NBA TV instead of TNT/ESPN......
rrayy
Senior
And1: 382

Post#123 » by rrayy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:00 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:Maybe last Sunday nights game should've been played on Friday night instead so as not to compete with game of thrones.

Could they not avoid 3 game weeknights? If not, make Detroit vs Milwaukee exclusively the NBAtv game.

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
Godd idea to bury Giannis on the network that the lest amount of people get. :roll:
000078ude54
Pro Prospect
And1: 551

Post#124 » by 000078ude54 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:01 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:Silver was a moron for not putting a stop to this superteam stuff.

Sports at the end of the day are market based being a warrior fan in idaho doesn't work for most people and other then a handful of markets the NBA products sucks and the fans in those markets know they have zero chance to win a title. That just isn't sustainable longterm.

I agree with this sentiment.

But the NBA created this monster by inundating fans with as many "stars" as possible to make up for Jordan's retirement in 1999.

Unfortunately, that marketing template coincided with the rise of millennial age NBA players who grew up playing hero ball, padding stats, playing together on AAU teams, being banana boat buddies instead of having the bloodthirsty competitive spirit of MJ, Bird, Kobe, etc.

Then these wimps started teaming up to make it even easier to "win." They didn't want the labor pains, just the baby.

Now, in the social media age where fans too have become fickle and shallow, the general population practically wants staged teams and matchups rather than honest best-team-wins competition. I don't know that there is a solution to all of this because of the generational, cultural weakness underneath it all.
Arp590
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,989

Post#125 » by Arp590 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:01 pm

There's no reason to watch because the Warrior's are going to win. Everyone knows it.
Only thing that will fix the problem is durant leaving GS.
Until then, not many people have interest in the playoffs.
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,237

Post#126 » by John Murdoch » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:03 pm

Detroit, Indiana, Jazz are unwatchable even in the reg season no suprise the casuals dont tune in for 7 game series with them. Factor in no Lebron and Durant tainting GSW its no suprise . Houston GSW will have big ratings and MIL/Toronto will be good for the diehards
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
ajones9219
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,518

Post#127 » by ajones9219 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:13 pm

I don't see the Lebron or the superteam stuff. I live in Ohio and if anything I feel like there are more people here talking about and watching the NBA than in previous years. I was talking to a worker at a sporting clothing place the other day (The Buckeye Corner) and he was telling me that jersey sales were way up this year, especially for Kyrie, Durant, and Luca jerseys (random). I think honestly there is just so much going on right now with GOT, Avengers, ect. and that the first round matchups aren't that good. They will pick up the further we get
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#128 » by DoItALL9 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:18 pm

rrayy wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:Maybe last Sunday nights game should've been played on Friday night instead so as not to compete with game of thrones.

Could they not avoid 3 game weeknights? If not, make Detroit vs Milwaukee exclusively the NBAtv game.

Godd idea to bury Giannis on the network that the lest amount of people get. :roll:

I see your point here but you're not going to build up (ratings or) Giannis' stature in the mind of casuals playing against a team of relative no name guys.
Moreover, most people who truly follow the sport are probably hoping Milwaukee can blow open the leaf and sit him asap to avoid injury.

E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,396
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#129 » by E-Balla » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:30 pm

XtremeDunkz wrote:Casual fans are down due to lack of Lebron

Hardcore fans are down due to lack of defense and jacking up 3s.

The NBA tried to have both sides and this is what happens.

Yep. Going all in on casuals only worked as long as Lebron was playing. When he's not they were just depressing the number of fans that would watch every game.

If they were going to go all in on casuals they needed to make sure they promoted players other than Lebron, KD, and Curry because if a situation happened where Lebron was gone and KD and Curry were on the same team (hmm... Like these playoffs maybe?) the ratings are screwed.
McHalesBurner
Junior
And1: 499

Post#130 » by McHalesBurner » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:32 pm

I have to admit I'm losing interest due to how soft the game is becoming. Same thing with the NFL actually.
E-Balla
RealGM
And1: 24,396
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones

Post#131 » by E-Balla » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:32 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Percentsign wrote:Basketball ratings depend on star power. Too many playoff teams have players whom people don't know. I'm talking Sixers, Clippers, Nuggets, Pacers, Jazz, Nets. Even Giannis Antetokounmpo is relatively unknown.

You gotta have LeBron, Durant, Kobe, Shaq, Jordan, etc.

You need games on before 8 pm....

This too. I have a job and kids have school, none of us are watching these 11 pm west coast games.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager

Post#132 » by XtremeDunkz » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:42 pm

E-Balla wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Percentsign wrote:Basketball ratings depend on star power. Too many playoff teams have players whom people don't know. I'm talking Sixers, Clippers, Nuggets, Pacers, Jazz, Nets. Even Giannis Antetokounmpo is relatively unknown.

This too. I have a job and kids have school, none of us are watching these 11 pm west coast games.

The worst was 2 or 3 years ago all the Warriors home games started at 1030 pm est even in the finals. I missed like all of them since I get up at 530.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,057

Post#133 » by Chanel Bomber » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:58 pm

SeniorWalker wrote:
Chanel Bomber wrote:The elephant in the room is that casual fans don't care about foreign players like Jokic and Giannis. And they're taking over the NBA. America at large cares about US players, not foreign players. ESPN's (and Co) failure to market them also did not help.

Is this really true? I mean, I'm a US guy and I care about whoever is dominating. You ask me who I'm going to pay more attention to, a guy who grew up in some other city I'm not from in my country vs a way more dominant guy from another country....the country doesnt matter here.

Not you, you have to be a hardcore NBA fan to be on Realgm.

I was referring to mainstream media and the casual NBA fans.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,205

Post#134 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:06 pm

E-Balla wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

I used to do it but I didn't even turn on the spurs nuggets game last night. I didn't want to commit to that. And of course the game I did watch was the one I care the least about.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,205

Post#135 » by dhsilv2 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:07 pm

XtremeDunkz wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:

The worst was 2 or 3 years ago all the Warriors home games started at 1030 pm est even in the finals. I missed like all of them since I get up at 530.

I used to get home and sleep for 3 hours then get up and watch the late games. As you get older that just doesn't work!
Showdown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,102

Post#136 » by Showdown » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:34 pm

Look who was promoted this year on ESPN, BR and other media: Lebron, Zion, Doncic, Young, Davis, Towns and none of them is in the PO so it's not surprise but this combined with upsets in first games make this PO better than PO from previous 2 years
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,675

Post#137 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:36 pm

Most the media spent the year hyping up teams that aren't just that good. That's why, thank ESPN.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager

Post#138 » by XtremeDunkz » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:37 pm

I also hate all this Zion hype. How many number 1 picks end up being nothing special? I don't see him as a sure fire Lebron type at all.
10/27/16
CraftylikeaFox
Sixth Man
And1: 2,213

Post#139 » by CraftylikeaFox » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:59 pm

Never going to happen, but the NBA needs to get rid of the 3 point shot. You can only watch so much Warriors and Rockets games before you start to lose interest.
Tanks1
Junior
And1: 260

Post#140 » by Tanks1 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:03 pm

EVERY sport is down, except for football.....which is King in America... Baseball, Hockey, Basketball, Nascar, college sports are all down. There is too much to watch on TV. Too many options....

Return to The General Board