Executive Of The Year

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Who is Executive Of The Year

Poll ended at Fri May 31, 2019 7:11 am

John Horst, Bucks
10%
Masai Ujiri, Raptors
65%
Tim Connely, Nuggets
4%
Elton Brand, 76ers
3%
Sean Marks, Nets
5%
Jerry West, Clippers
13%

Total votes: 301

LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Re: Executive Of The Year 

Post#21 » by LakersSoul » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:22 am

I don’t know if the North can be stopped this season.

Maestro Ujiri

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
Sgt Major
Head Coach
And1: 15,203

Post#22 » by Sgt Major » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:28 am

I'll go with Jerry West. Instead of tanking, they gave GSW a hard time, offloaded players, made cheap guys stars and have space for max contracts in a pretty attractive market. That's A LOT.
Det. Frank Pembleton: You know, sometimes you're funny. Then there's now.
RalphSampsonJr
Pro Prospect
And1: 584

Post#23 » by RalphSampsonJr » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:28 pm

I cant go past Marks.

Alot of other teams had assets to work with to get their teams in the position they are in.

Every other team has had a 3 year head start on Marks yet he got his team to the post season
Pachinko_
RealGM
And1: 23,697

Post#24 » by Pachinko_ » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:38 pm

Ujiri looks like the winner so far, not just for having the balls to make those moves but also for running a top class organisation. Kawhi looked at home all year, worked with the team to get the load management he wanted/needed and now does what he said he'd do in the POs. I don't know if he stays next year, I hope he doesn't because I'm a Bucks fan, but if he bolts it won't be because of something the Raps did or didn't do. Ujiri put his team in the best possible position with what he had to work with and now all he needs is a little luck.

Shout out to Horst for pulling some rabbits out of his hat and fixing a bunch of crap he found from the previous guys.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#25 » by The_Hater » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:43 pm

SalmonsSuperfan wrote:
God Squad wrote:
hype_2004 wrote:Masai turned DeMar DeRozan to Kawhi and Danny Green, poll over.

Then turned JV and Delon Wright into Marc Gasol. Masai Ujiri has to be in the conversation.

i can't be the only one who thinks they would've been better off keeping jv

You’d be dead wrong unfortunately. JV would have been nearly unplayable against Embiid, Lopez and Horford and eaten up by Vucevic in round 1 because he can’t guard in space. It would have been one terrible matchup after another and that’s why the trade was made. Meanwhile Gasol has already turned the best player on both Orlando and Philly into puddles of mediocrity. He’s a defensive savant.

Another stat that shows individual rebounding numbers are overrated, the Raps team rebounding rate actually improved after they traded JV for Gasol.

I’m sure the rebuilding Grizzlies are happy with their end of the deal but it can’t be overstated how important this trade was for the Raps.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#26 » by j-ragg » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:21 pm

Masai easily imo.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#27 » by Pinkyring » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:26 pm

No love for donnie Nelson, this team last year mavs had probably the worst future of all teams, now we have doncic, zinger, and max cap space this summer
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,797

Post#28 » by UcanUwill » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:31 pm

Donnie Nelson turned big nothing into Doncic and Porzingis. Thats something
NBAFan93
RealGM
And1: 14,221

Post#29 » by NBAFan93 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:52 pm

Bucks guy (didn’t even know his name) has done an amazing job of building better around Giannas. The improvement in that team has been monumental. Plus the hiring of Bud.

Musai has done an excellent job as always, but the degree of improvement is not as marked as it is with the Bucks.
MessiahUjiri
Analyst
And1: 3,763

Post#30 » by MessiahUjiri » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:57 pm

Masai, not just for the moves, but also the courage it took to make these gutsy moves:

- Fired Casey, the franchises winningest coach, and replaced him with a rookie coach in Nurse
- Traded Demar, the franchises best and most beloved player, for someone who people said may not even show up
- Mid season trade to give up 3 rotational depth players for one aging Gasol.

With LeBron leaving the East, it would have been easier for Masai to make small trades to shore up the Raptors weaknesses and make another playoff run with a good team. But he brought the sledgehammer because he would rather be playing in June.

If you’re a GM and Masai calls you, disconnect your phone and hide.
Fire everyone who doesn't win the NBA championship.

Tank for 2050. Robot players.

AbeVigodaLive wrote:NZ native, Steven Adams, was initially cast as Gandalf in Lord in the Rings... until Director Peter Jackson replaced him with a younger looking actor.
Je K
Rookie
And1: 1,647

Post#31 » by Je K » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:17 pm

To the people dismissing Jon Horst because all he did was replace Kidd with Bud. He did so much more than that and was an absolutely critical part of this team's turnaround. He's won over almost all Bucks fans despite being ridiculed early on. Here are some of the highlights this season...

- Let Jabari walk
- Signed Brook Lopez to an incredibly valuable $3.3 million contract
- Signed Ersan Ilyasova, who looked shaky for awhile but has become an important piece
- Signed Pat Connaughton
- Acquired George Hill midseason, while also getting rid of the Delly and Henson contracts
- Somehow turned Thon Maker into Nikola Mirotic

None of these moves are nearly as flashy as Kawhi to Toronto (and I still might vote Ujiri), but Horst had very little room to work with and still killed it this year. He replaced Jabari, Thon, Delly, Henson, Zeller, JET, and Shabazz Muhammad (who all played non garbage time minutes in the playoffs last year) with Lopez, Hill, Ersan, Connaughton, and Mirotic. That's a helluva way to build around your star who isn't a good shooter.
"We’re not dysfunctional."
-Alex Lasry
Forte IV
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,497

Post#32 » by Forte IV » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:18 pm

You're a Clippers fan Wammy. You should know that Lawrence Frank is the President of Basketball Ops for the Clippers, not Jerry West.
If the Clippers win the championship next year I'm getting banned from RealGM
The_Hater

Post#33 » by The_Hater » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:27 pm

If it’s a one season award, nobody turned their teams upside down and still found success better than the Raptors and Clippers.

Marks has been gradually improving the Nets for years and didn’t make any key additions in the past 12 months.

Brand made 2 high risk moves at a huge cost but the jury is still out on how much he improved the team. The Bucks made their moves on the edges with the same core group of 4, Bud had the COY locked up there.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
The_Hater

Post#34 » by The_Hater » Sun Apr 28, 2019 3:36 pm

Je K wrote:To the people dismissing Jon Horst because all he did was replace Kidd with Bud. He did so much more than that and was an absolutely critical part of this team's turnaround. He's won over almost all Bucks fans despite being ridiculed early on. Here are some of the highlights this season...

- Let Jabari walk
- Signed Ersan Ilyasova, who looked shaky for awhile but has become an important piece
- Signed Pat Connaughton
- Acquired George Hill midseason, while also getting rid of the Delly and Henson contracts

None of these moves are nearly as flashy as Kawhi to Toronto (and I still might vote Ujiri), but Horst had very little room to work with and still killed it this year. He replaced Jabari, Thon, Delly, Henson, Zeller, JET, and Shabazz Muhammad (who all played non garbage time minutes in the playoffs last year) with Lopez, Hill, Ersan, Connaughton, and Mirotic. That's a helluva way to build around your star who isn't a good shooter.

I think Horst did a very good job and he’s a massive improvement on John Hammond, and the hiring of Bud shouldn’t be dismissed as minor either, it was his best move in 2 seasons. I just think other Executives made more big scale, franchise altering moves while other than Bud his changes were more around the edges.

Some years that would still make him EOY I just have him 3rd in my list this season. Wouldn’t be upset if he won however. Great GM.
Masai is overrated.

April 14th, 2019.
mudsak
Starter
And1: 1,916

Post#35 » by mudsak » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:23 pm

I think I'm most impressed with the Clippers. Their on-the-go rebuild has honestly been nothing short of amazing. They've done such a phenomenal job that I believe they're the team most likely to make the biggest splash in the upcoming offseason.

I'm a bit envious as a fan of a team that has no real option outside of meticulously building through the draft, but I'll definitely tip my hat to the Clips for doing such a phenomenal job. I think it's the most impressive on-the-go rebuild I've seen since Houston years ago.

Clips have a bright future.
benjamink15
Pro Prospect
And1: 903

Post#36 » by benjamink15 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:35 pm

Je K wrote:To the people dismissing Jon Horst because all he did was replace Kidd with Bud. He did so much more than that and was an absolutely critical part of this team's turnaround. He's won over almost all Bucks fans despite being ridiculed early on. Here are some of the highlights this season...

- Let Jabari walk
- Signed Pat Connaughton

When you sum it up like that it looks pretty impressive. You're right he did a lot more than just hire the potential coach of the year.

I think I still vote Masai but it kind of depends on where the 2 teams end up.
mcgrady_1
Veteran
And1: 3,159

Post#37 » by mcgrady_1 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:44 pm

SalmonsSuperfan wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:
SalmonsSuperfan wrote:i can't be the only one who thinks they would've been better off keeping jv

No way.

Marc gasol has been unbelievable in the playoffs. Like the 2nd most important player.

Absolutely shut down vucevic and embiid so far

this guy is putting up numbers worse than robin lopez's season averages. i would think you'd want him to play like, ya know, an all-star. that's ostensibly what you traded for.

Lol. What you should do friend is tune into a Raptors game. Or at the very least, watch game 1 vs PHI and any game vs ORL. Or maybe just delete your last 2 posts in this thread. I am not gonna call you out and say your posts are just dumb and all you do is look at stats and not watch games. It is painfully obvious you haven't watched a single second of Marc Gasol in a Raptor's uniform.

To your point though, right now, I would pick JV over Marc Gasol in fantasy basketball. :D
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,091

Why West Over Frank And/Or Winger 

Post#38 » by Wammy Giveaway » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:59 pm

Doug_12 wrote:West should be replaced by Winger (GM) or Lawrence Frank(President of Basketball Ops). West is only a consultant, he has no official executive role in the team.

While this is true, I had to default to West because of the Clippers past and my non-familiarity with their GM. Everything the Clippers have done pre-West has not worked out. Lawrence Frank is a Doc guy, they're close friends and the assumption is Doc does things for his inner circle. I'm not familiar with Winger at all, so I can't give him proper props.

You've heard the stories: Donald Sterling made it all about him and not the team. When Ballmer bought the club from Sterling, there were branches within the front office and coaching staff that still followed Sterling's business practices: profit over performance, be as cheap as possible. This was going on throughout the final years of Lob City. West comes in, he sees the chaos within the organization. There were moves the Clippers could have done without West, but they were too attached to some of their players for fear of the ghost of Clipper past coming back to haunt them - it was all up to the Logo to guide them out of their little cave of fear and pessimism. He convinced Ballmer that Doc should be demoted, got them to give up Griffin for the good of the team and again with Harris, drafted Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, created cap space for the off season and, against all odds, fielded an unintentionally competitive 8th seeded for Doc Rivers to coach, taking the Warriors to six games behind the greatest playoff comeback in NBA history, surpassing the Lakers 29 vs. Sonics. The result: a resume for inevitable Clipper Kawhi Leonard.

Without West, the Clippers would have not had the guts to trade Griffin (Chris Paul was a forced issue), make cap space, or construct this impressive seasonal resume. No offense to Winger or Frank, but that's why West is The Logo.
SalmonsSuperfan
Starter
And1: 2,142

Post#39 » by SalmonsSuperfan » Sun Apr 28, 2019 10:18 pm

mcgrady_1 wrote:
SalmonsSuperfan wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:No way.

Marc gasol has been unbelievable in the playoffs. Like the 2nd most important player.

Absolutely shut down vucevic and embiid so far

this guy is putting up numbers worse than robin lopez's season averages. i would think you'd want him to play like, ya know, an all-star. that's ostensibly what you traded for.

Lol. What you should do friend is tune into a Raptors game. Or at the very least, watch game 1 vs PHI and any game vs ORL. Or maybe just delete your last 2 posts in this thread. I am not gonna call you out and say your posts are just dumb and all you do is look at stats and not watch games. It is painfully obvious you haven't watched a single second of Marc Gasol in a Raptor's uniform.

To your point though, right now, I would pick JV over Marc Gasol in fantasy basketball. :D

I’ve watched plenty of raptors games. It’s weird how sensitive some of you guys are about this. Gasol is objectively playing like a role player as a raptor. Raptors can win a title if gasol plays like how we all expected him to play, but 8 ppg and 5rpg is just not good production, I’m sorry. It’s not exclusively “looking at stats.” We can “look at stats” as raptors fans do and say that Leonard and siakam are playing great. The same can’t be said for gasol.
inquisitive
RealGM
And1: 2,844

Post#40 » by inquisitive » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:13 pm

Masai of course getting Kawhi while giving up scraps
KARD "You n Me " Mnet Countdown
www.youtube.com/watch?v=77b3zg3OhgI

Return to The General Board