Executive Of The Year

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Who is Executive Of The Year

Poll ended at Fri May 31, 2019 7:11 am

John Horst, Bucks
10%
Masai Ujiri, Raptors
65%
Tim Connely, Nuggets
4%
Elton Brand, 76ers
3%
Sean Marks, Nets
5%
Jerry West, Clippers
13%

Total votes: 301

RaptorPride
General Manager
And1: 17,505

Re: Executive Of The Year 

Post#61 » by RaptorPride » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:54 am

SalmonsSuperfan wrote:
RaptorPride wrote:
SalmonsSuperfan wrote:the "advanced stats" show a guy with role player type impact. it's a positive impact, but i'm not sure why you guys are not processing that gasol is an all-star who is now a 4th or 5th option. in my mind, that's not going to cut it. so far, this team is being carried by leonard and siakim. what if kawhi doesn't have a jordan-esque performance? he's bound to come back to earth eventually. gasol ought to be playing like he's the second best player on the team, which is what yall traded for. did you trade for him so he can come in and "fit in" to what's going on, or should he be exerting himself as the star player that he is? one of the raps commentators said the exact same thing, i'm not just pulling this out of left field.

He brings amazing defense, the ability to move the ball quickly, make plays and make threes consistently. All of which he does at better than JV. Pascal and Kawhi have been the top options all year. Kyle and Gasol don't have to waste so much energy on offense so they can bring it on the other end. And Gasol is not as efficent as Kawhi or Siakam so we are better off with him not having to score all the time.

is his defense amazing? he's 34 and slow. we're past the era where a slow-footed 7 foot center a la roy ribbert is pivotal for a good defense. his defensive rebounding is probably his best attribute on that end, but is it better than val's?

the things you say are true, he 'fits' well in the offense, like a role player. did you trade for an all-star or for a role player? would you rather have, on a championship level team, a guy who stops nikola vucevic or a guy who limits kevin durant, or at least kind of offsets his scoring? vuc could have gone off and the raptors still would have won. even in game 1 vs the 76ers, embiid had a bad game but you couldn't give all, or even the majority, of the credit to gasol. the raptors have a good team defense, they have all season, and when a superstar plays lousy, ultimately it's on the superstar (embiid).

like, i'm not saying he's been 'bad' for the raptors, but he has underwhelmed and isn't playing as well as he did in memphis. memphis gasol clearly puts the raptors above the other teams in the east in my mind, current gasol makes me wonder if they have enough to get out of the east. i'd like to be wrong, but i don't think 8/5 in 25mpg makes a tremendous difference; i think you'd rather have a super-efficient bully center like JV. i think his physical play and dominance around the rim(scoring/rebounding) gets to the opposing team over the course of a 7 game series. if i'm embiid, i'd rather play against a 'finesse' guy like gasol than a bruiser like jv. not that gasol isn't physical, but jv is on another level.

Yea I get what you mean. He could be more aggressive on offense. But I think it could also be a coaching thing telling him to focus less on scoring since he doesn't have to be the main guy. I would like to see Gasol post up more and look to score.
Spoiler:

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM
And1: 29,554

Post#62 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:02 am

Wammy Giveaway wrote:
Jazztop wrote:If Raptors make the Finals there’s no disputing that he’s deserving.

That is a great point, Jazztop. Any moves that are made only pertain to this season. Clippers moves were catered for the 2019 off-season. If they get Leonard -or- strike out on all superstar free agents but manage to repeat the same role player magic like last season with an even better showing such as a 1st round advancement, West should definitely be in the running.

So yeah, if Raptors make the Finals, Ujiri's got it locked, stocked and barrel. For West to win it, the NBA voters would have to defy some unwritten rules by relying on the narrative, meaning the 2017-18 and 2019-2020 seasons in addition to the now, something of a no-no in voting.
Most of the Clippers moves are great for the future. Strike out in free agency and they still have a great path to keep developing young talent they have and acquiring assets. So I would not argue that all their eggs are in a basket for this summer. Worst case, they let young guys develop, compete again for lower playoff spot and run it back again in terms of trying to asset stack to trade for a star, until they can sign one.

People aren't understanding how good the duo of SGA/Shamet will be in the near future. The Warriors players+coaches recognize it and talked about it extensively. They are one of the NBA's best backcourts of the future.
“This kid reminds me of a 6-6 Chris Paul. He wants to win everything.”

Olin Simplis- SGA’s trainer.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,869

Post#63 » by LakersLegacy » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:21 am

I think Magic Johnson deserves it. I swear I’m not a homer.

He got us LeBron

and then....

At least we got LeBron
alevirfe
Starter
And1: 1,683

Post#64 » by alevirfe » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:36 am

the bucks did a lot more than "just" hire coach bud. they traded for mirotic, picked up brook lopez, and re-signed bledsoe at a good #
mintsa wrote: Yeah….the “new car smell” is starting to wear off with Scottie.

bongmarley wrote:I thought he was supposed to be an elite defender. He is horrible. On the perimeter he gets blown by everytime Its really bad
First Step
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,929

Post#65 » by First Step » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:39 am

The EOY award is for executive of the YEAR. Not executive who makes moves to free up flexibility for the future.
For this reason alone the Clippers are eliminated from contention. They didn't bring in any major talent to their team this year.

This will go to Masai, who took risks to acquire a top 5 player, and his team finished with the 2nd best record in the NBA. The Clippers GM is probably like 5th or 6th on the list. You don't get EOY for building an 8th seeded team. We don't award poor results.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#66 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:05 am

First Step wrote:The EOY award is for executive of the YEAR. Not executive who makes moves to free up flexibility for the future.
For this reason alone the Clippers are eliminated from contention. They didn't bring in any major talent to their team this year.

This will go to Masai, who took risks to acquire a top 5 player, and his team finished with the 2nd best record in the NBA. The Clippers GM is probably like 5th or 6th on the list. You don't get EOY for building an 8th seeded team. We don't award poor results.
Typically that is indeed how it's been handed out. Is that a true indicator of best executive though? If Raptors don't win it... Kawhi+Gasol walk this summer, it will actually become a totally wasted season. So again, the verdict is out on Toronto as well. Can't say the future shouldn't be considered, then turn around and give Toronto the benefit of the doubt without knowing. What if they get knocked out this round or next?

Also, whether the Clippers win the award or not, it has nothing to do with the 8 seed. It has to do with them drafting fantastically and winning one trade after another emphatically this year. I do agree though these awards favor shortsighted, all in for one season type situations, not fantastic moves for now, but with also heavy set up for the next few years. Masai can have it, the Clippers FO is the best in the league regardless.

Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 90,994

Post#67 » by Capn'O » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:09 am

Clippers set the table well but they also got a ton of young talent and exceeded expectations.

I'd give it to Masai but what the Clips did was master work.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
First Step
Lead Assistant
And1: 8,929

Post#68 » by First Step » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:22 am

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
First Step wrote:The EOY award is for executive of the YEAR. Not executive who makes moves to free up flexibility for the future.

Typically that is indeed how it's been handed out. Is that a true indicator of best executive though? If Raptors don't win it... Kawhi+Gasol walk this summer, it will actually become a totally wasted season. So again, the verdict is out on Toronto as well. Can't say the future shouldn't be considered, then turn around and give Toronto the benefit of the doubt without knowing. What if they get knocked out this round or next?

Also, whether the Clippers win the award or not, it has nothing to do with the 8 seed. It has to do with them drafting fantastically and winning one trade after another emphatically this year. I do agree though these awards favor shortsighted, all in for one season type situations, not fantastic moves for now, but with also heavy set up for the next few years. Masai can have it, the Clippers FO is the best in the league regardless.

No, it won't become a totally wasted season. We've had a great season, and are enjoying every bit of it. What Kawhi decides to do is his choice, and we will live with the results and have no regret for this season. You also can't discount the knowledge that Leonard and these guys are passing to Pascal, OG and Fred. They've built winning habits. Incubating Kawhi in our system for a year will give us return in other areas of growth.

And if you want to talk about success, let's talk about how Masai has never missed the playoffs since coming here as GM, and then PBO. He's traded Bargnani for a 1st round pick. Traded Greivis Vasques for a 1st round pick that became Anunoby. He drafted Pascal with the 27th pick.

The Clippers front office needs to earn "best in the league". I think they've made some great moves and the future looks bright, but until you guys actually become a relevant threat in the West, it's nothing more than potential. And having potential is like having a participation award. It's worthless.
Chandan
RealGM
And1: 21,142

Post#69 » by Chandan » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:25 am

A lot of you thinks trading for Kawhi is all in for this year. But getting rid of derozan and his contract is a move for the future. A lot of talk about clippers roster and their bright future, but forgets that even if Kawhi leaves, raptors still have siakam and Lowry + Gasol contract coming off the book after next year. It's a pretty damn savvy maneuver considering with one move we escaped from the treadmill core we were supposed to be stuck with for next 4-5 years.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#70 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:29 am

First Step wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:

No, it won't become a totally wasted season. We've had a great season, and are enjoying every bit of it. What Kawhi decides to do is his choice, and we will live with the results and have no regret for this season.

And if you want to talk about success, let's talk about how Masai has never missed the playoffs since coming here as GM, and then PBO. He's traded Bargnani for a 1st round pick. Traded Greivis Vasques for a 1st round pick that became Anunoby. He drafted Pascal with the 27th pick.

The Clippers front office needs to earn "best in the league". I think they've made some great moves and the future looks bright, but until you guys actually become a relevant threat in the West, it's nothing more than potential. And having potential is like having a participation award. It's worthless.
Masai is no doubt outstanding. He is legit. Raptors are like the Lakers recent years where they consistently find gems in the late 1st and 2nd. I do think this year he came off a bit desperate and pushed all of his chips into the middle of the table, with zero thought of the future. Which isn't necessarily bad, it just is what it is.

As for Clips if you look at the last two years... I think it's pretty clear they are a cream of the crop FO as well. Zach Harper just wrote at length about how enviable the front office is in The Athletic.

OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#71 » by OkcSinceSGA » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:32 am

Chandan wrote:A lot of you thinks trading for Kawhi is all in for this year. But getting rid of derozan and his contract is a move for the future. A lot of talk about clippers roster and their bright future, but forgets that even if Kawhi leaves, raptors still have siakam and Lowry + Gasol contract coming off the book after next year. It's a pretty damn savvy maneuver considering with one move we escaped from the treadmill core we were supposed to be stuck with for next 4-5 years.
You're literally describing the Clippers though. In one year they went from treadmill team to insane flexibility. Then this season, they went and actually make a super young, good competitive team, while stacking future assets. The combination of being young, good now AND loading up for the future just doesn't happen in the NBA.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,619

Post#72 » by Swish1906 » Fri May 24, 2019 4:18 pm

Masai only if one of this two things happen:
Raptors win it this year - he is GM of the year
Raptors are able to re-sign Kawhi - he is the GMOY next year
I dont think he deserves GMOY just for a risky one year title window, getting a MVP guy on an expiring contract with strong ties to california. Either win now or re-sign him...

Horst i dont like as winner either. All he did was firing one of the worst coaches in the league, replacing him with the best available guy on the market. And after that they ramped up the roster until the 130m cap mark...

For me its between Marks and Donnie Nelson (who is not even on the list). Both had not much to work with and positioned the franchises excellent for the next years.

Pretty much one year ago the Mavs had DSJ (after a pretty weak rookie year), the 5th pick in the draft and Harrison Barnes as franchise player on a 2y/50m contract. Now they have Luka, KP with RFA status (he isnt going anywhere), they dumped Barnes for nothing and have a max cap slot in the upcoming strong FA class. They also had one of the two big steals in the 2nd round with Brunson. Thats an amazing turnaround within 12 months...
Fadeaway_Jumper
Rookie
And1: 2,769

Post#73 » by Fadeaway_Jumper » Fri May 24, 2019 4:36 pm

I think the clippers fans who want their exec to win have it backwards. Your GM made moves to full out tank this season, and look towards the future but Doc Rivers pulled a hell of a coaching job and kept them competitive against the warriors in the playoffs.

You guys will be up for coach of the year for sure. Awarding somebody for a failed tank makes no sense
Jazztop
Sixth Man
And1: 1,573

Post#74 » by Jazztop » Sun May 26, 2019 11:25 am

Well done RealGM users - you got this one overwhelmingly right.
timO
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,400

Post#75 » by timO » Sun May 26, 2019 11:41 am

West clean the Clippers and make the playoffs.

Marks do almost the same on the Nets.

Brand trys to create a contender and creates a **** with 2 overrated max contracts.
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#76 » by Gooner » Sun May 26, 2019 11:55 am

Masai nailed every decision, it's his award.
mtcan
RealGM
And1: 20,443

Post#77 » by mtcan » Sun May 26, 2019 12:26 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:

BS. You don't get points for the potential to win...it only matters that you win. We know what happened the last time the Clippers got any sort of cap space. They overpaid Blake and overpaid Gallinari. Are we watching cap space and picks this Thursday or the NBA Finals???

If Gasol and Kawhi walk...Raptors still have achieved more than 28 other teams in the league this season and more than they have in franchise history. This season is a success even if the Raptors don't beat the Warriors.

Interesting fact: 6 NBA franchises that have NEVER played in the NBA finals...guess who's the oldest? CLIPPERS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://fadeawayworld.net/2018/10/23/7-nba-franchises-that-have-never-played-in-the-finals/
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,659

Post#78 » by XxIronChainzxX » Sun May 26, 2019 1:20 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:

It's the only metric we have. Harden has probably been top 3 or top 2 in MVP voting for what... 5 years? He's only got one award to show for it, and there's no MVP of the last 5 years award to recognize what he's done.

As for the Raptors losing and it being wasted - dude, as a Clippers fan you have to appreciate what even making the Finals means when the history of the franchise is, well, our history.
OkcSinceSGA
RealGM

Post#79 » by OkcSinceSGA » Sun May 26, 2019 1:24 pm

XxIronChainzxX wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:

It's the only metric we have. Harden has probably been top 3 or top 2 in MVP voting for what... 5 years? He's only got one award to show for it, and there's no MVP of the last 5 years award to recognize what he's done.

As for the Raptors losing and it being wasted - dude, as a Clippers fan you have to appreciate what even making the Finals means when the history of the franchise is, well, our history.
I'm being bumped on something I wrote two rounds ago. Now that Kawhi made finals I'm 90% sure he stays. Although I'm competitive and it sucks to empower the more trollish fans here, I'm happy for the legit Raptors fans. I'm also happy to see one of the few teams never to get this far get in.

Grats on proving to Kawhi he should stay and making the finals. What's crappy is if KD and Kawhi slug it out in a competitive finals, I wonder if Clips have a shot at either one now. Since we don't want Kyrie or Butler who becomes the target? Kemba? Pretty much the worst case scenario for teams banking on free agents is happening.

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM mobile app

rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,693

Post#80 » by rzzzzz » Sun May 26, 2019 1:33 pm

First Step wrote:. The Clippers GM is probably like 5th or 6th on the list. You don't get EOY for building an 8th seeded team. We don't award poor results.

Thought they did a great job of addition through subtraction. What they lost in recognition they more than made up in chemistry. The key is who they now bring in with all that cap space to join a really tight clubhouse.

Return to The General Board