Remember when Jordan pushing off on Russell was a big deal?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

syrus3
Pro Prospect
And1: 912

Re: Remember when Jordan pushing off on Russell was a big deal? 

Post#21 » by syrus3 » Sun May 12, 2019 10:39 pm

Miller did it during his infamous 8 points in however many seconds against the Knicks in ‘95
magicman1978
Analyst
And1: 2,075

Post#22 » by magicman1978 » Sun May 12, 2019 10:42 pm

iggymcfrack wrote:There’s a difference between a little subtle sneaky contact to clear space with the off arm and what Jordan did in Game 6. He literally shoved Russell as hard as he could and extended his arm all the way out flat. It was ridiculously blatant. That gets called at least 90% of the time in today’s game.

This is either sarcasm or an incredibly biased take
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#23 » by LakerLegend » Wed May 22, 2019 2:23 am

Mikistan wrote:Lebron bulldozers with shoulders while stiff arming and hooking

Yup.
HEAT33
Veteran
And1: 1,396

Post#24 » by HEAT33 » Wed May 22, 2019 3:14 am

Jordan hardly push him, Russell was falling and Russell trying to flop, Jordan had no force is in that
EscapoTHB wrote:I think the 92 dream team would get beat by a lot of the top international teams today.

:lol:
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,427

Post#25 » by TheGOATRises007 » Wed May 22, 2019 3:16 am

iggymcfrack wrote:There’s a difference between a little subtle sneaky contact to clear space with the off arm and what Jordan did in Game 6. He literally shoved Russell as hard as he could and extended his arm all the way out flat. It was ridiculously blatant. That gets called at least 90% of the time in today’s game.

The OTT bias is unreal.

"Shoved Russell as hard as he could" :lol: :lol: :lol:
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#26 » by DoItALL9 » Wed May 22, 2019 3:21 am

CP3 started using the chicken wing/push-off a bunch in the playoffs this year.
He's learned from Harden I guess and he's older now though so he needs every inch.

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Post#27 » by BR0D1E86 » Wed May 22, 2019 3:52 am

OdomFan wrote:
draftnightsuit wrote:Back in the ‘90s it was only Jordan who was allowed to get away with that. Now everyone does it.

Uh no. Reggie Miller got away with a even harder shove to MJ himself in the Eastern Conference Finals that year. No call at all and it cost Chicago the game.

Yeah. I grew up in Chicago in the 90s. After that game my friends and I legalized a huge push off as long as you yelled “Reggie” when you did it.
bargnanimvp
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,362

Post#28 » by bargnanimvp » Wed May 22, 2019 4:09 am

Lebron was the point where it got ridiculous for me. Lebron's are often full on offensive fouls not just push offs but they were not called now everyone has turned to doing it.
HEAT33
Veteran
And1: 1,396

Post#29 » by HEAT33 » Wed May 22, 2019 5:49 am

Lebron is the 2nd greatest player of all time.....
End thread
EscapoTHB wrote:I think the 92 dream team would get beat by a lot of the top international teams today.

:lol:
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#30 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Wed May 22, 2019 5:57 am

You don't watch a lot of James Harden, do you?
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,747

Post#31 » by madmaxmedia » Wed May 22, 2019 6:19 am

There’s so much hyperbole about that play. I just watched YouTube videos for 15 minutes and I don’t think you can tell for sure how much pressure Jordan puts on Russell, who looked like he over commit and bit on the fake. You can’t tell for sure that it’s an obvious shove, but you can’t totally discount the possibility either. AFAIK there are 2 camera angles we see the play. His hand definitely touches Russell, but then slides down his leg. It could have been a good push, it could have been irrelevant contact, it could have been somewhere in between (intentional or unintentional.)

It could have been inadvertent, minimal contact (non-push), and still been a superstar call in the sense that refs might have called a push off had they seen the same thing happen with a different player.

The other thing that happens is that Russell doesn’t complain at all, which I imagine would have been his immediate emotional reaction to getting pushed. But that’s not proof either.
justme400e
Junior
And1: 116

Post#32 » by justme400e » Wed May 22, 2019 7:28 am

LakerLegend wrote:Is it just me or does every player push off when driving/crossing these days?

I never see the "fully extended straight arm" push off or the "top of the key to the basket"" euro four step layup called. At least MJ tried to hide it by doing the "bent arm"" version.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,184

Post#33 » by og15 » Wed May 22, 2019 7:43 am

DoItALL9 wrote:CP3 started using the chicken wing/push-off a bunch in the playoffs this year.
He's learned from Harden I guess and he's older down so he needs every inch.

No, Paul's been doing it before, but now he can't get by guys as easily so he just does it more

Most of these guys are doing some form of pushing off or hooking, etc, only the very blatant ones get called. It's not new, though maybe it's more common now, but I don't know if that's just some recency bias or reality
tondi123
Starter
And1: 1,376

Post#34 » by tondi123 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:26 pm

No actually I don't recall it ever being a big deal.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#35 » by DoItALL9 » Wed May 22, 2019 12:42 pm

og15 wrote:
DoItALL9 wrote:CP3 started using the chicken wing/push-off a bunch in the playoffs this year.
He's learned from Harden I guess and he's older now though so he needs every inch.

No, Paul's been doing it before, but now he can't get by guys as easily so he just does it more

Most of these guys are doing some form of pushing off or hooking, etc, only the very blatant ones get called. It's not new, though maybe it's more common now, but I don't know if that's just some recency bias or reality

Do you think the league will try to rein it back in after this season?

OdomFan
General Manager
And1: 6,635

Post#36 » by OdomFan » Wed May 22, 2019 12:59 pm

HEAT33 wrote:Lebron is the 2nd greatest player of all time.....
End thread

Duncan > Lebron
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,184

Post#37 » by og15 » Wed May 22, 2019 1:10 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:
og15 wrote:

Do you think the league will try to rein it back in after this season?

I have no clue, I think it should be something they look at. I'm fine with subtle little push offs, though personally as a defender I hate my good defense getting killed because a guy pushes off and steps back. I guess it depends on how much complaining is done about it.

Sent from my SM-G955W using RealGM mobile app
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,530

Post#38 » by dhsilv2 » Wed May 22, 2019 1:14 pm

Ben Simmons wrote:

Jordan did the opposite of shoving, because Jordan didn't move his arm at all, he only moved his wrist.
How can a wrist movement have enough power to push Russell over?
All that happened was, Russell's feet slipped, and you can see it on the replay :nod:

LOL...this has to be the most unique take of all time on what was a clear FULL push through.

And keep in mind Jordan did this kind of stuff on offense and defense. He'd use those huge hands and the fact that he was one of the only wings in the NBA who knew where the weight room was to throw around players.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#39 » by dhsilv2 » Wed May 22, 2019 1:21 pm

justme400e wrote:
LakerLegend wrote:Is it just me or does every player push off when driving/crossing these days?

I never see the "fully extended straight arm" push off or the "top of the key to the basket"" euro four step layup called. At least MJ tried to hide it by doing the "bent arm"" version.

Jordan "hid it" because he was much stronger than russel and russel was easy to move out of the way.
dhsilv2
RealGM

Post#40 » by dhsilv2 » Wed May 22, 2019 1:23 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:There’s so much hyperbole about that play. I just watched YouTube videos for 15 minutes and I don’t think you can tell for sure how much pressure Jordan puts on Russell, who looked like he over commit and bit on the fake. You can’t tell for sure that it’s an obvious shove, but you can’t totally discount the possibility either. AFAIK there are 2 camera angles we see the play. His hand definitely touches Russell, but then slides down his leg. It could have been a good push, it could have been irrelevant contact, it could have been somewhere in between (intentional or unintentional.)

It could have been inadvertent, minimal contact (non-push), and still been a superstar call in the sense that refs might have called a push off had they seen the same thing happen with a different player.

The other thing that happens is that Russell doesn’t complain at all, which I imagine would have been his immediate emotional reaction to getting pushed. But that’s not proof either.

You need to keep in mind despite not looking it, MJ was one of the strongest players in the league and had some of the largest hands as well. Jordan was stronger than a lot of the power forwards of that era despite his slimmer build. He didn't have to exert himself to send a guy out of his way. Defenders literally would bounce off post weight lifting MJ. Jordan both moved Russell AND used him to stabilize on that play.

Return to The General Board