Luka or Zion

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Zion or Luka

Zion Williamson
39%
Luka Doncic
61%

Total votes: 365

Buzzard
RealGM
And1: 7,522

Re: Luka or Zion 

Post#161 » by Buzzard » Sun May 19, 2019 2:52 am

Daxel wrote:Luka, the only one of those 2 who has actually played at professional level.
Create this poll again at the end of next season, first lets see how Zion does against professional players.

Why? 90% of all Mavs and European fans had Luka as the best prospect since Bron last season; before he played his first NBA game. Why should fans of Zion and the Pelicans have to be any different?
BAF Pacers: Unleash Trae!

PG Ice Trae
SG Buddy Hield/Luke Kennard/Brandin Podziemski
SF OG Anunoby/Terrence Ross/Kris Murray
PF Richaun Holmes/JaMychal Green/Chris Livingston
C KAT/Mark Williams
Daxel
Sophomore
And1: 153

Post#162 » by Daxel » Sun May 19, 2019 3:53 am

Buzzard wrote:
Daxel wrote:Luka, the only one of those 2 who has actually played at professional level.
Create this poll again at the end of next season, first lets see how Zion does against professional players.

Why? 90% of all Mavs and European fans had Luka as the best prospect since Bron last season; before he played his first NBA game. Why should fans of Zion and the Pelicans have to be any different?

I don't care what Mavs and Pels fan think about their players, I'm just stating my personal opinion. I can't compare a guy who already has a season under his belt against a guy that has yet to play in the NBA, that's why I picked Luka because I know what he can do, I don't know anything about Zion.
In a year from now will be easier to answer the question "Luka or Zion ?" :)
Pg81
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,661

Post#163 » by Pg81 » Sun May 19, 2019 4:18 am

Daxel wrote:
Buzzard wrote:

I don't care what Mavs and Pels fan think about their players, I'm just stating my personal opinion. I can't compare a guy who already has a season under his belt against a guy that has yet to play in the NBA, that's why I picked Luka because I know what he can do, I don't know anything about Zion.
In a year from now will be easier to answer the question "Luka or Zion ?" :)

That is the exactly the position many Mavs fans hold as well. If Zion plays out of his mind next season and impresses me enough next year I might change my opinion, since the main reason I became a Mavs fan over 20 years ago was Dirk. Since I am a German to me it was also Dirk > Mavs as far as my fandom was concerned.
If you're asking me who the Mavs best player is, I'd say Luka. A guy like Delon Wright probably rivals his impact though at this stage in his career. KP may as well if he gets his **** together.
GeorgeMarcus, 17/11/2019
treefi
Analyst
And1: 795

Post#164 » by treefi » Sun May 19, 2019 4:41 am

Luka for sure.
Coach Carter
General Manager
And1: 6,261

Post#165 » by Coach Carter » Sun May 19, 2019 4:45 am

It astounds me how much people dismiss the importance of finesse.

Let me ask you this,

Say you had both luka and zion on the same team. Who do you ask to initiate a play?

I'd go with luka every time because i know he can either create his own shot or create an easy look for his teammates. Can zion do this? Is it any wonder that his highlight reel is mainly dunks and open drives? Can't remember who said it, but i agree that zion will need to go to a team with a pure point guard whereby he can be used off the ball. If he goes to the wrong team, we may seem him forcing a lot and being asked to do things that don't comply with his current skill set.

Now let me ask you this,

How many off the ball stars are also ranked amongst the top 10 players in the league?

Safe to say zero.

To save you the disappointment, just take this into consideration before resulting to bold statements about zion's ceiling or in this space, picking him over luka.
In reference to our title winning year
Coach Carter wrote:This year is a wash and most of us know it.
Gus McCrae
General Manager
And1: 2,004

Post#166 » by Gus McCrae » Mon May 20, 2019 8:06 pm

j-ragg wrote:
Gus McCrae wrote:I think Zion is gonna be draymond level on defense and probably more reliable to “go get a bucket “ than Luka. So it’s zion for me.

Really? I feel the opposite which is why I'd rather have Luka. I don't think Zion is the type you can just give the ball to and expect to create. Luka on more than one occasion took over games down the stretch. I think Zion will be great as a high motor, high efficiency athlete around the rim but I think his on-ball skills aren't that great.

I see it kind of like how Giannis is (or Lebron before he had a jump shot), yeah, they're not ideal to iso and hit a jumpshot like Curry/Harden/Kobe. But if you give them the ball at the top of the key and they bullrush the rim, most likely something good is going to happen. The physical mismatch is too much.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,512

Post#167 » by Chanel Bomber » Mon May 20, 2019 8:07 pm

Ironically, conditioning and improving their jumpshot are the biggest question marks for both of them.
Yoshun
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,716

Post#168 » by Yoshun » Mon May 20, 2019 8:09 pm

Luka for me.

I've watched them both play enough, Luka looks like the better player, he's much more skilled. Zion is an incredible athlete and I expect him to have a really good career though.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,303

Post#169 » by coldfish » Mon May 20, 2019 9:05 pm

Coach Carter wrote:It astounds me how much people dismiss the importance of finesse.

Let me ask you this,

Say you had both luka and zion on the same team. Who do you ask to initiate a play?

I'd go with luka every time because i know he can either create his own shot or create an easy look for his teammates. Can zion do this? Is it any wonder that his highlight reel is mainly dunks and open drives? Can't remember who said it, but i agree that zion will need to go to a team with a pure point guard whereby he can be used off the ball. If he goes to the wrong team, we may seem him forcing a lot and being asked to do things that don't comply with his current skill set.

Now let me ask you this,

How many off the ball stars are also ranked amongst the top 10 players in the league?

Safe to say zero.

To save you the disappointment, just take this into consideration before resulting to bold statements about zion's ceiling or in this space, picking him over luka.

Finesse? If you look at Zion's finishing rate near the rim, its absurd. Its not dunks. The kid has incredible touch and body control.

Zion isn't a ball dominant superstar. For a lot of people, that really kills his value. He isn't particularly tall or long either. He is a great defender, has a great basketball IQ, has a great motor, is a great finisher, is a willing defender, etc. I look at him like a combination of a young blake griffin and draymond green. That's an unheard of package and something people have difficulty processing. I suspect he will end up having off the charts impact type numbers and fill box scores without being "the man" on an NBA team.

Luka is the exact opposite end of the spectrum. An on ball highlight reel who doesn't really do the little things. I suspect that Zion will never, ever have a -3.9 on off rating like Luka did this year. This will likely be a topic for a long time as the two players attract completely different type of fans.

Return to The General Board