Page 2 of 5

Re: Joel Embiid crying is the best thing that happened to Philly 76ers

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:25 pm
by JamesDolan
It could be the worse thing to ever happen.

He could be a emotional basket case? Is this the first signs of a mental breakdown?

Will the 76ers have to call time outs in the middle of games? So the trainers can give out tissues?



Sent from my SM-S727VL using RealGM mobile app

Re: Joel Embiid crying is the best thing that happened to Philly 76ers

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:27 pm
by XxIronChainzxX
ThumbsUpBaby wrote:I'd be okay with Embiid still trash talking and clowning other players. Other greats like Larry Bird, MJ, Gary Payton, Reggie Miller, etc. did it. Why can't Embiid? But at the same time, if Embiid stops the showboating and unwarranted arrogance (when he honestly hasn't done much in the playoffs so far), that would be a plus. I think this will be an eye opener for Embiid, and he'll focus more on winning instead of focusing on making a player look bad. Hopefully that's the case.


To me it’s either all fair game or none of it is fair game. In this case, Embiid - who’s incredible defensively and has a lot of talent offensively - wanted to showboat and clown teams and players when he lost. Now the tables have turned on him. That’s reality. Frankly I think Embiid doesn’t need to change his attitude - he just needs to focus on this game and get more help from the 76ers to stay healthy.

Re: Joel Embiid crying is the best thing that happened to Philly 76ers

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:28 pm
by Maury2423
He shouldn't be, and i'm sure he's not, embarrassed of anything and he shouldn't change a thing.

Re: Joel Embiid crying is the best thing that happened to Philly 76ers

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:37 pm
by simple_jack
If he gets in shape this summer and loses maybe 10-20 pounds I’ll be even more scared of Embid

Someone needs to tell him that you don’t stay long forever. Take advantage of your youth and dominate

Re: Joel Embiid crying is the best thing that happened to Philly 76ers

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:42 pm
by LBJKB24MJ23
Black Mage wrote:He didn't get clowned.

Quite honestly, a Raptors fan shouldn't comment about crying because I'm pretty sure their tears after choking so many years in a row are part of the reason we have rising sea levels.


honestly, Embiid actually crying real tears vs the proverbial tears you speak of is hilarious coming from a 76ers fan.

i mean your team lost - come back stronger next year. No need to go into the deep end and drown like how you guys did in Embiid's waterfall of tears.

Re: Joel Embiid crying is the best thing that happened to Philly 76ers

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:43 pm
by TDotJon
simple_jack wrote:If he gets in shape this summer and loses maybe 10-20 pounds I’ll be even more scared of Embid

Someone needs to tell him that you don’t stay long forever. Take advantage of your youth and dominate


are his arms going to magically shrink when he gets older?

Re: Joel Embiid crying is the best thing that happened to Philly 76ers

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:44 pm
by Michael Jordan
Black Mage wrote:He didn't get clowned.

Quite honestly, a Raptors fan shouldn't comment about crying because I'm pretty sure their tears after choking so many years in a row are part of the reason we have rising sea levels.


And with that logic a Philly fan shouldn't be talking about choking in the playoffs when they didn't even make it from 2012-2017 whereas Toronto has every year since 2013. I'm sure you guys were all doing that airplane celebration when Kawhi hit that shot.

Re: Joel Embiid crying is the best thing that happened to Philly 76ers

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:46 pm
by simple_jack
TDotJon wrote:
simple_jack wrote:If he gets in shape this summer and loses maybe 10-20 pounds I’ll be even more scared of Embid

Someone needs to tell him that you don’t stay long forever. Take advantage of your youth and dominate


are his arms going to magically shrink when he gets older?



Huh?

Every player regresses and deals with frequent injuries as they age.

There’s no stronger force than time. Even Tim Duncan regressed.

In your 20’s you have “bounce”

Re: Joel Embiid crying is the best thing that happened to Philly 76ers

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:44 pm
by Gnik
Why are people so concerned about how Embiid carries himself anyways. Ya'll are not affected whatsoever, let the man live lmao

Re: Joel Embiid crying is the best thing that happened to Philly 76ers

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:18 pm
by DonDoolie
Black Mage wrote:He didn't get clowned.

Quite honestly, a Raptors fan shouldn't comment about crying because I'm pretty sure their tears after choking so many years in a row are part of the reason we have rising sea levels.


He got **** on this series. How do you go from 27ppg to 17 points on 36% shooting.

Went from dancing after one game to crying like a hoe at the end of the series.

Re: Joel Embiid crying is the best thing that happened to Philly 76ers

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 3:42 pm
by Bergmaniac
OP's username doesn't check out.

Re: Joel Embiid crying is the best thing that happened to Philly 76ers

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:15 pm
by mrtease
Laughing at someone for crying is what kids do at school, once you've matured and developed empathy for other people, what the heck is your excuse?

honestly, most normal people outside of internet boards will see you laughing at Embiid crying and think way worse of you than they do of him (most people will have a lot of empathy/sympathy for him).

Everybody cries- would you like it if next time you're crying, someone filmed it and then a bunch of internet nerds started laughing at you because they're devoid of basic empathy?

Re: Joel Embiid crying is the best thing that happened to Philly 76ers

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:15 pm
by nikster
I hope Embiid comes back strong next year. Dude has potential to dominate like no Center has in a while. He has a huge defensive impact and can dominate on offense. He just needs to limit the turnovers and him and the coaching staff need to figure out ways to get him on the block more, or at least going with a head of steam at a slower defender. Dude jacks up too many threes and off balance jumpers

Re: Joel Embiid crying is the best thing that happened to Philly 76ers

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:18 pm
by Ben Simmons
EliteSmarts wrote:Joel Embiid crying and getting embarrassed and clowned at for crying is best thing that happened for Embiid and 76ers. Now your going to see less clowning from Embiid and more focused and angry Embiid who wants to make damn sure he doesn't want to feel that pain ever again. I expect MVP level from Embiid next season and 76ers should be excited

I seriously doubt it, its his entire personality :lol:
Anyway he gave 100% but wasn't good enough.

Re: Joel Embiid crying is the best thing that happened to Philly 76ers

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:20 pm
by mrtease
I think Embiid will mature from this experience- nothing to do with the crying, but from the pain of this loss

Re: Joel Embiid crying is the best thing that happened to Philly 76ers

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:31 pm
by pootbrah
GeorgeMarcus wrote:What has Embiid even done in recent memory? That **** airplane celebration? Lol people need to get over themselves, we’re living in a God damn echo chamber



This is too real. Making me question myself haha and not about embiid just about the rest of life

Re: Joel Embiid crying is the best thing that happened to Philly 76ers

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:32 pm
by Luigi
UcanUwill wrote:People who laughed at Embiid for crying should be the ones embarrassed. Last time I checked most sports fans were older than 6th graders, and athlete showing care and emotion after a devastating loss should be cheered up.

mrtease wrote:Laughing at someone for crying is what kids do at school, once you've matured and developed empathy for other people, what the heck is your excuse?

honestly, most normal people outside of internet boards will see you laughing at Embiid crying and think way worse of you than they do of him (most people will have a lot of empathy/sympathy for him).

Everybody cries- would you like it if next time you're crying, someone filmed it and then a bunch of internet nerds started laughing at you because they're devoid of basic empathy?


Why do you think all crying is the same?

If a passionate player cries in a tragic defeat, that is nothing to laugh at. I respect it. If someone cries after being bullied, I have great sympathy. But if a childish, showboating, disrespectful player cries in his defeat, well, that's a different story. There is good comedy in an incredibly talented grown man act like a child on social media and on the court, and then acting childish in his defeat, too. Most normal people are sensitive to this difference. So you are right that laughing at crying by itself is usually a bad thing, and most normal people see that. But you are wrong about this case. A laugh at a temper tantrum or a comeuppance is totally appropriate, and most normal people can see the difference.

It also seems like the moral disgust you are feeling applies to people we have relationships with. Fellow students, coworkers, friends. I think that's different than laughing at a story. None of us are acquainted with Joel Embiid the person. Instead, we are acquanted with Joel Embiid the basketball personality in an entertainment league. He's more like a character in a story than the fellow student getting bullied. This character just underwent the change in the drama that leads to a later resolution.

https://www.britannica.com/art/peripeteia
"Peripeteia, (Greek: “reversal”) the turning point in a drama after which the plot moves steadily to its denouement. It is discussed by Aristotle in the Poetics as the shift of the tragic protagonist’s fortune from good to bad, which is essential to the plot of a tragedy. It is often an ironic twist, as in Sophocles’ Oedipus Rex when a messenger brings Oedipus news about his parents that he thinks will cheer him, but the news instead slowly brings about the awful recognition that leads to Oedipus’s catastrophe."

It will be a comedy is he reforms, a tragedy if he doesn't. All good drama, but I'm rooting for the happy ending.


Kate Winslow wrote:Embiid's a fun character. He shouldn't change.


He is certainly a good character in a storyline. This story is a funny one at his expense. But if he reformed going forward, grew up and changed his ways, he could become a very interesting hero in a story instead of a clown. But we'll see. If he wants to stay on the childish villain side, it does make for a good story. But I like to root for characters to mature and develop.

Re: Joel Embiid crying is the best thing that happened to Philly 76ers

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:32 pm
by Johnny Bball
Black Mage wrote:He didn't get clowned.

Quite honestly, a Raptors fan shouldn't comment about crying because I'm pretty sure their tears after choking so many years in a row are part of the reason we have rising sea levels.


Oh I’m pretty sure after walking away not just with the series win, but with the win in the greatest fashion, that’s going to be replayed a million times... over and over, Leonard hitting the game winner, bounce bounce bounce... that you literally will have to see the rest of your life...you might want to get some flood insurance.

As for Embiid. People treat accountability like a four letter word. The guy deserves every bit of whats coming his way until he learns even a small thing and changes.

Re: Joel Embiid crying is the best thing that happened to Philly 76ers

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:36 pm
by Johnny Bball
UcanUwill wrote:People who laughed at Embiid for crying should be the ones embarrassed. Last time I checked most sports fans were older than 6th graders, and athlete showing care and emotion after a devastating loss should be cheered up.



You just handed your lunch money over before they even asked, didn’t you.

Re: Joel Embiid crying is the best thing that happened to Philly 76ers

Posted: Wed May 15, 2019 4:38 pm
by GeorgeMarcus
Johnny Bball wrote:.


The other thread got locked so I couldn't respond, but Embiid wasn't trash talking Gasol like you said :-? He definitely celebrated after making big plays, as he should, but Gasol/Embiid always had mutual respect for each other. But you criticized Embiid before the series so it makes sense you would project that onto him