Joel Embiid crying is the best thing that happened to Philly 76ers

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,732

Re: Joel Embiid crying is the best thing that happened to Philly 76ers 

Post#41 » by UcanUwill » Wed May 15, 2019 4:42 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:People who laughed at Embiid for crying should be the ones embarrassed. Last time I checked most sports fans were older than 6th graders, and athlete showing care and emotion after a devastating loss should be cheered up.

You just handed your lunch money over before they even asked, didn’t you.

You are like my nemesis poster, everything I believe in you believe the opposite. Personally, I respect Embiid far more after him crying, I didnt expect him being so invested, made him more likeable and sympathetic.

And do bullies in American schools really take other children lunch money? I have seen this in TV shows all the time, and its just sound insane to me, thats no longer just bullying, thats a straight up crime.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#42 » by Luigi » Wed May 15, 2019 4:45 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:.

The other thread got locked so I couldn't respond, but Embiid wasn't trash talking Gasol like you said :-? He definitely celebrated after making big plays, as he should, but Gasol/Embiid always had mutual respect for each other. But you criticized Embiid before the series so it makes sense you would project that onto him

Gasol exhibited excellent maturity. Embiid didn't. I would like one day to see Embiid do the same for a young player one day.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,725

Post#43 » by Johnny Bball » Wed May 15, 2019 4:46 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:

The other thread got locked so I couldn't respond, but Embiid wasn't trash talking Gasol like you said :-? He definitely celebrated after making big plays, as he should, but Gasol/Embiid always had mutual respect for each other. But you criticized Embiid before the series so it makes sense you would project that onto him

He showboated in front of the entire team! Everyone saw it. And if you think he wasn't chirping, you’re mistaken. So he didn’t showboat? He should do that! Wtf! Then suck up the criticism when it comes... the hypocrisy of it all. Smh. And Gasol is all class, in spite of it, something Embiid could stand to learn from.

Project? Which one of us has a bias here. You respond to every post that criticizes him and post about every scrap said about him. Is this a **** joke? Who do you think believes you here because you don’t even believe you.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,045

Post#44 » by GeorgeMarcus » Wed May 15, 2019 4:48 pm

Luigi wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

Gasol exhibited excellent maturity. Embiid didn't. I would like one day to see Embiid do the same for a young player one day.

"Embiid didn't" based on absolutely nothing :lol: Just like all of the emotionally-charged claims you're making. You're either a victim of the echo chamber or a perpetrator of it.
The Legend of George Marcus

"Where I'm from, bullies get bullied." - Zach Randolph
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#45 » by GeorgeMarcus » Wed May 15, 2019 4:53 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

He showboated in front of the entire team! Every ne say it. And if you think he wasn't chirping, you’re mistaken. So he didn’t showboat? And Gasol is all class, in spite of it, something Embiid could stand to learn from.

Project? Which one of us has a bias here. You respond to every post that criticizes him and post about every scrap said about him. Is this a **** joke? Who do you think believes you here because you don’t even believe you.

Speak it into existence right? If you keep saying it more people will believe it! Based again on absolutely nothing :lol: It's sad really. I'm not taking your bait because it deflects from the fact that your argument is based on nothing, and clearly indicates some others reasons you want to laugh at another human for crying.

Luigi
General Manager

Post#46 » by Luigi » Wed May 15, 2019 4:53 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Luigi wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

"Embiid didn't" based on absolutely nothing :lol: Just like all of the emotionally-charged claims you're making. You're either a victim of the echo chamber or a perpetrator of it.

I have made the case, and I think almost everybody sees it. Your denials are strange to me. Embiid has shown a pattern of immaturity and disrespect. This has established his NBA character.

-Twitter trolling
-Press conference giggling over injured players (whether he laughed about the injury, or his childish teammate's reaction, either still shows a lack of maturity on Embiid's part).
-On court showboating
-On court crying after all of the above

“I didn’t notice. I just saw them shake their bodies. Good for them. Like I said -- I don’t care if it offends anybody. It’s all about having fun. I don’t care. I’m going to do that because I’m going to dominate.”
https://www.philly.com/sixers/drake-joel-embiid-sixers-76ers-raptors-nba-playoffs-airplane-taunt-20190508.html

“I had a nice little spiel for Joel Embiid. But nah after his reactions after last night’s game I kinda felt bad for the guy. You could tell he’s a kid, you know he’s really upset, but by any means, nobody on the team liked the antics or anything that he was doing, and you know sometimes it’s like win gracefully and lose gracefully, but he’s an emotional player, and you could tell he’s still a very young kid. It’s a learning lesson. He’ll learn from it and he’ll build from it”
https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/boefrz/danny_green_of_the_raptors_comments_on_joel/

Why do you say my claim isn't based on anything? Everybody sees this pattern, and how it played out in this series in particular. And you continue to make claims about me and my emotional state, rather than engage the case I've layed out. That is almost as ironic as the tragic change of winds on Embiid in this series.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,725

Post#47 » by Johnny Bball » Wed May 15, 2019 4:56 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

He showboated in front of the entire team! Every ne say it. And if you think he wasn't chirping, you’re mistaken. So he didn’t showboat? And Gasol is all class, in spite of it, something Embiid could stand to learn from.

Speak it into existence right? If you keep saying it more people will believe it! Based again on absolutely nothing :lol: It's sad really. I'm not taking your bait because it deflects from the fact that your argument is based on nothing, and clearly indicates some others reasons you want to laugh at another human for crying.

What’s a sad reality? That accountability is foreign to you, where as entitlement certainly isn’t? I bet embiid at least would admit he had it coming, but you can’t.
mrtease
Sophomore
And1: 220

Post#48 » by mrtease » Wed May 15, 2019 5:02 pm

Luigi wrote:
UcanUwill wrote:People who laughed at Embiid for crying should be the ones embarrassed. Last time I checked most sports fans were older than 6th graders, and athlete showing care and emotion after a devastating loss should be cheered up.

mrtease wrote:Laughing at someone for crying is what kids do at school, once you've matured and developed empathy for other people, what the heck is your excuse?

honestly, most normal people outside of internet boards will see you laughing at Embiid crying and think way worse of you than they do of him (most people will have a lot of empathy/sympathy for him).

Everybody cries- would you like it if next time you're crying, someone filmed it and then a bunch of internet nerds started laughing at you because they're devoid of basic empathy?

Why do you think all crying is the same?

If a passionate player cries in a tragic defeat, that is nothing to laugh at. I respect it. If someone cries after being bullied, I have great sympathy. But if a childish, showboating, disrespectful player cries in his defeat, well, that's a different story. There is good comedy in an incredibly talented grown man act like a child on social media and on the court, and then acting childish in his defeat, too. Most normal people are sensitive to this difference. So you are right that laughing at crying by itself is usually a bad thing, and most normal people see that. But you are wrong about this case. A laugh at a temper tantrum or a comeuppance is totally appropriate, and most normal people can see the difference.

It also seems like the moral disgust you are feeling applies to people we have relationships with. Fellow students, coworkers, friends. I think that's different than laughing at a story. None of us are acquainted with Joel Embiid the person. Instead, we are acquanted with Joel Embiid the basketball personality in an entertainment league. He's more like a character in a story than the fellow student getting bullied. This character just underwent the change in the drama that leads to a later resolution.

https://www.britannica.com/art/peripeteia
"Peripeteia, (Greek: “reversal”) the turning point in a drama after which the plot moves steadily to its denouement. It is discussed by Aristotle in the Poetics as the shift of the tragic protagonist’s fortune from good to bad, which is essential to the plot of a tragedy. It is often an ironic twist, as in Sophocles’ Oedipus Rex when a messenger brings Oedipus news about his parents that he thinks will cheer him, but the news instead slowly brings about the awful recognition that leads to Oedipus’s catastrophe."

It will be a comedy is he reforms, a tragedy if he doesn't. All good drama, but I'm rooting for the happy ending.

Kate Winslow wrote:Embiid's a fun character. He shouldn't change.

He is certainly a good character in a storyline. This story is a funny one at his expense. But if he reformed going forward, grew up and changed his ways, he could become a very interesting hero in a story instead of a clown. But we'll see. If he wants to stay on the childish villain side, it does make for a good story. But I like to root for characters to mature and develop.

You're a grown man laughing at someone crying, yet you seem to think they're the immature one :nonono:
Luigi
General Manager

Post#49 » by Luigi » Wed May 15, 2019 5:05 pm

mrtease wrote:
Luigi wrote:

mrtease wrote:Laughing at someone for crying is what kids do at school, once you've matured and developed empathy for other people, what the heck is your excuse?

honestly, most normal people outside of internet boards will see you laughing at Embiid crying and think way worse of you than they do of him (most people will have a lot of empathy/sympathy for him).

Everybody cries- would you like it if next time you're crying, someone filmed it and then a bunch of internet nerds started laughing at you because they're devoid of basic empathy?

If a passionate player cries in a tragic defeat, that is nothing to laugh at. I respect it. If someone cries after being bullied, I have great sympathy. But if a childish, showboating, disrespectful player cries in his defeat, well, that's a different story. There is good comedy in an incredibly talented grown man act like a child on social media and on the court, and then acting childish in his defeat, too. Most normal people are sensitive to this difference. So you are right that laughing at crying by itself is usually a bad thing, and most normal people see that. But you are wrong about this case. A laugh at a temper tantrum or a comeuppance is totally appropriate, and most normal people can see the difference.

It also seems like the moral disgust you are feeling applies to people we have relationships with. Fellow students, coworkers, friends. I think that's different than laughing at a story. None of us are acquainted with Joel Embiid the person. Instead, we are acquanted with Joel Embiid the basketball personality in an entertainment league. He's more like a character in a story than the fellow student getting bullied. This character just underwent the change in the drama that leads to a later resolution.

"Peripeteia, (Greek: “reversal”) the turning point in a drama after which the plot moves steadily to its denouement. It is discussed by Aristotle in the Poetics as the shift of the tragic protagonist’s fortune from good to bad, which is essential to the plot of a tragedy. It is often an ironic twist, as in Sophocles’ Oedipus Rex when a messenger brings Oedipus news about his parents that he thinks will cheer him, but the news instead slowly brings about the awful recognition that leads to Oedipus’s catastrophe."

It will be a comedy is he reforms, a tragedy if he doesn't. All good drama, but I'm rooting for the happy ending.

Kate Winslow wrote:Embiid's a fun character. He shouldn't change.

He is certainly a good character in a storyline. This story is a funny one at his expense. But if he reformed going forward, grew up and changed his ways, he could become a very interesting hero in a story instead of a clown. But we'll see. If he wants to stay on the childish villain side, it does make for a good story. But I like to root for characters to mature and develop.

You're a grown man laughing at someone crying, yet you seem to think they're the immature one :nonono:

Can you not tell the difference? Did you read my post?

Not all crying is the same. Some deserves sympathy, some deserves a laugh. I think maturity requires seeing that difference.
sule
RealGM
And1: 34,205

Post#50 » by sule » Wed May 15, 2019 5:06 pm

T-d0t wrote:
Black Mage wrote:He didn't get clowned.

Quite honestly, a Raptors fan shouldn't comment about crying because I'm pretty sure their tears after choking so many years in a row are part of the reason we have rising sea levels.
Damn, that's some salt.

You'd be salty too if your team tanked for a decade, wasted a half dozen top 3 picks, and ended up with an overweight, injury prone C and a PG who has less scoring range than Shaq. :lol:
mrtease
Sophomore
And1: 220

Post#51 » by mrtease » Wed May 15, 2019 5:08 pm

Luigi wrote:
mrtease wrote:
Luigi wrote:

Can you not tell the difference? Did you read my post?

Not all crying is the same. Some deserves sympathy, some deserves a laugh. I think maturity requires seeing that difference.

genuine crying, is genuine crying, I don't buy your made up distinction.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#52 » by Luigi » Wed May 15, 2019 5:13 pm

mrtease wrote:genuine crying, is genuine crying, I don't buy your made up distinction.

Genuine crying is genuine crying. But do you believe that all genuine crying deserves sympathy?

If a grown person genuinely cries because they can't get free ice cream sprinkles today, that is comedy. If a grown person genuinely cries over the loss of an innocent life, that is tragedy.

Surely you don't think that all genuine crying deserves sympathy, no matter the cause. And surely you see the context of how Joel Embiid comported himself through this series, and through his NBA career so far, and see the ironic twist in game 7. It could be a very healthy thing for him. I hope it is.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by GeorgeMarcus » Wed May 15, 2019 5:19 pm

Quote used to support anti-Embiid sentiment: “I didn’t notice. I just saw them shake their bodies. Good for them. Like I said -- I don’t care if it offends anybody. It’s all about having fun. I don’t care. I’m going to do that because I’m going to dominate.”

Well there ya have it folks. This is why Embiid deserves to be laughed at and ridiculed for being a child. I'm recusing myself from this conversation because anyone juvenile enough to adopt this mentality isn't self-aware enough to realize how petty and ridiculous it is.

GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#54 » by GeorgeMarcus » Wed May 15, 2019 5:20 pm

sule wrote:
T-d0t wrote:
Black Mage wrote:He didn't get clowned.

Quite honestly, a Raptors fan shouldn't comment about crying because I'm pretty sure their tears after choking so many years in a row are part of the reason we have rising sea levels.
Damn, that's some salt.

You'd be salty too if your team tanked for a decade, wasted a half dozen top 3 picks, and ended up with an overweight, injury prone C and a PG who has less scoring range than Shaq. :lol:

**** and it took a Game 7 buzzer beating quadruple doink to get by despite having home court advantage? What does that say about the Raptors?

sule
RealGM

Post#55 » by sule » Wed May 15, 2019 5:23 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
sule wrote:
T-d0t wrote:Damn, that's some salt.

**** and it took a Game 7 buzzer beating quadruple doink to get by despite having home court advantage? What does that say about the Raptors?

That the Raptors get it done when it counts.
GeorgeMarcus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by GeorgeMarcus » Wed May 15, 2019 5:23 pm

sule wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
sule wrote:

Given the Raptor's history, that's rich.

FromTheNorth
Freshman
And1: 91

Post#57 » by FromTheNorth » Wed May 15, 2019 5:25 pm

Gotta wait till next season to see how Embiid reacts
Join us on the Raptors Telegram Channel for Game Time Chats!
https://t.me/NBA_TorontoRaptors
mksp
Analyst
And1: 2,485

Post#58 » by mksp » Wed May 15, 2019 5:28 pm

sule wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:
sule wrote:

One of the luckiest shots in NBA history = getting it done when it counts lol.
Luigi
General Manager

Post#59 » by Luigi » Wed May 15, 2019 5:29 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:Quote used to support anti-Embiid sentiment: “I didn’t notice. I just saw them shake their bodies. Good for them. Like I said -- I don’t care if it offends anybody. It’s all about having fun. I don’t care. I’m going to do that because I’m going to dominate.”

Well there ya have it folks. This is why Embiid deserves to be laughed at and ridiculed for being a child. I'm recusing myself from this conversation because anyone juvenile enough to adopt this mentality isn't self-aware enough to realize how petty and ridiculous it is.

I outlined the case for you again, even though I think everybody takes it as obvious.

On this particular point of the case, saying that you don't care if your showboating is offensive, that all you care about is fun, and that you are going to showboat because you are going to dominate.... well, by Embiid's own rules, I think he'd be laughing at a lot of people crying. He shouldn't laugh at those who deserve sympathy, but he doesn't care if it offends anyone, and if it's fun to do, he's going to laugh. He doesn't care.

Yes, I think that is part of a pattern of childish behavior. Cheers.
sule
RealGM

Post#60 » by sule » Wed May 15, 2019 5:30 pm

GeorgeMarcus wrote:
sule wrote:
GeorgeMarcus wrote:

Given the Raptor's history, that's rich.

You should find a Gasol to cry those salty tears into.

Return to The General Board