Zion Williamson (or any of the picks) Pulling a Steve Francis.

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Could/Should Zion Williamson force New Orleans to trade him elsewhere?

Yes
23%
No
77%

Total votes: 128

playaloc916
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,290

Re: Zion Williamson (or any of the picks) Pulling a Steve Francis. 

Post#81 » by playaloc916 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:11 pm

Spens1 wrote:
RaptorsLife wrote:I still have no idea why Steve Francis did that

Vancouver is better than 95% of nba cities even Toronto

Amazing city. I’m glad Steve Francis career turned out the way it did

If Zion does what Steve Francis did. I hope he has the same success as Steve Francis

I remember watching a documentary, it was mainly flimsy things like travel etc. Also the fact that they had Bibby at the time and they said they didn't have a plan for him (bit skeptical on that). It sounds like his mind was made up that he didn't want to go to Vancouver and was salty that the Bulls had the audacity to pass on him at 1 :lol: .

I think I watched the same documentary. There were clips of him talking to Stu Jackson(?) in the stadium and him mentioning that they already had Bibby. And of course, him reenacting the draft and thinking for sure he was going to be selected by the Bulls...
I mean it wasn't the first time a player gets drafted by a team he doesn't want to play for, I'm sure it happens all the time... I'm just curious what would've happened if they didn't trade him. I remember the main piece they got back for him, Michael Dickerson, had a great year and said he loved it there.

It also didn't help that the Grizzlies were one of the worst, if not the worst team in the league, were poorly run, and had those disgusting aqua coloured jerseys...
Anti Chalmers
Analyst
And1: 2,858

Post#82 » by Anti Chalmers » Thu May 16, 2019 2:12 pm

Would be funny if he returns and next year NO wins the lottery again
BBALLER4FR
RealGM
And1: 8,175

Post#83 » by BBALLER4FR » Thu May 16, 2019 2:12 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:I'd be doing back flips not going to the knicks. Both one of the worst franchises and easily the worst city in america.

So it’s bash NY Knicks day today huh ? They have the 3rd pick but leave it up to the general board to act like they Won the lottery!

Are you claiming the knicks aren't a terribly run franchise? One of the worst is hardly a hot take on that franchise by a LONG shot.

Yeah, you went a step beyond bashing the organization player. Own it.
Those last 70 seconds, Randle in a nut shell.

Awful 2 for 1 3PT attempt when we are up 2
Doesn’t close out on Sabonis --> open 3
Takes another side step off balance 3

We got sucked into the Randle vortex where all good feelings go to die.

Buttah304
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,787

Post#84 » by Stannis » Thu May 16, 2019 2:22 pm

Definitely no. There's too much money to miss out on to do that now.

Sure his reaction was unprofessional:

Spoiler:

But he has to deal with it. He can just pull an Anthony Davis if the Pelicans continue to make bad transactions.
Free Palestine
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,452

Post#85 » by dhsilv2 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:23 pm

BBALLER4FR wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:
So it’s bash NY Knicks day today huh ? They have the 3rd pick but leave it up to the general board to act like they Won the lottery!

Are you claiming the knicks aren't a terribly run franchise? One of the worst is hardly a hot take on that franchise by a LONG shot.

Yeah, you went a step beyond bashing the organization player. Own it.

I said the city is awful, but that wasn't what was cited. If someone takes issue with my view that NYC is the worst place in the US, that's fine. It's an opinion after all.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 9,787

Post#86 » by Stannis » Thu May 16, 2019 2:27 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:I'd be doing back flips not going to the knicks. Both one of the worst franchises and easily the worst city in america.

Yes... because the Pelicans are a very stable franchise. They have AD rumors going around like oxygen. He is one the NBA biggest stars and wants out. Same thing happened with Chris Paul. They had chances to build around stars, and screwed up. Very comforting to go there. He is doing back flips indeed.
Free Palestine
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,184

Post#87 » by clyde21 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:32 pm

these takes are so **** dumb.

hes going to the Pelicans, deal with it.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,452

Post#88 » by dhsilv2 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:35 pm

Stannis wrote:

Yes... because the Pelicans are a very stable franchise. They have AD rumors going around like oxygen. He is one the NBA biggest stars and wants out. Same thing happened with Chris Paul. They had chances to build around stars, and screwed up. Very comforting to go there. He is doing back flips indeed.

They're in a much better situation than the knicks. Despite their awful ownership issues they've had more success as well. I'm sure it's not a dream for anyone to play for either franchise.
Mr. Krabs
Sixth Man
And1: 249

Post#89 » by Mr. Krabs » Thu May 16, 2019 2:40 pm

They will get a huge return for AD, he is going to be in a much favorable situation than most other possibilities.
macNcheese3
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#90 » by macNcheese3 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:40 pm

I don’t think that would really happen today. What Francis did was bad. I’m quite sure he ended up regretting the way it went down. Regardless, his career was over before it should have been, IMO.
BarneyGumble
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,210

Post#91 » by BarneyGumble » Thu May 16, 2019 3:05 pm

He should literally pull a Kobe. Commit to be drafted by New Orleans and then minutes before the selection inform them that he will go to Europe if they dont trade the pick to the Lakers.
woosah
RealGM
And1: 5,275

Post#92 » by woosah » Thu May 16, 2019 3:36 pm

Contrary to popular belief, Zion Williamson might be happy in New Orleans after all. According to Shams Charania of The Athletic, Williamson went to Chicago to talk with representatives of the Pelicans and Grizzlies before the draft, and is reportedly perfectly content starting his career with the Pelicans.

Sources: Zion Williamson met in Chicago with the New Orleans Pelicans and Memphis Grizzlies, the top two teams in the Draft lottery. Williamson had a positive meeting with New Orleans and prior to lottery, he cited Pelicans as a targeted team to start career.

— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) May 16, 2019

"Zion Williamson met in Chicago with the New Orleans Pelicans and Memphis Grizzlies, the top two teams in the Draft lottery," Charania wrote. "Williamson had a positive meeting with New Orleans and prior to lottery, he cited Pelicans as a targeted team to start career."

https://www.complex.com/sports/2019/05/zion-williamson-met-new-orleans-pelicans-memphis-grizzlies

Espn and their agenda.....lol
Woj is the new Bucher. Shams is the new Woj. Espn is the new TMZ. The NBA is the new WWE.
Boo.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#93 » by Spens1 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:42 am

playaloc916 wrote:
Spens1 wrote:

If Zion does what Steve Francis did. I hope he has the same success as Steve Francis

I remember watching a documentary, it was mainly flimsy things like travel etc. Also the fact that they had Bibby at the time and they said they didn't have a plan for him (bit skeptical on that). It sounds like his mind was made up that he didn't want to go to Vancouver and was salty that the Bulls had the audacity to pass on him at 1 :lol: .

I think I watched the same documentary. There were clips of him talking to Stu Jackson(?) in the stadium and him mentioning that they already had Bibby. And of course, him reenacting the draft and thinking for sure he was going to be selected by the Bulls...
I mean it wasn't the first time a player gets drafted by a team he doesn't want to play for, I'm sure it happens all the time... I'm just curious what would've happened if they didn't trade him. I remember the main piece they got back for him, Michael Dickerson, had a great year and said he loved it there.

It also didn't help that the Grizzlies were one of the worst, if not the worst team in the league, were poorly run, and had those disgusting aqua coloured jerseys...

That would have been interesting. Guessing a Marbury situaton where the player refuses to suit up and play.
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#94 » by Spens1 » Fri May 17, 2019 2:43 am

woosah wrote:
Contrary to popular belief, Zion Williamson might be happy in New Orleans after all. According to Shams Charania of The Athletic, Williamson went to Chicago to talk with representatives of the Pelicans and Grizzlies before the draft, and is reportedly perfectly content starting his career with the Pelicans.

Sources: Zion Williamson met in Chicago with the New Orleans Pelicans and Memphis Grizzlies, the top two teams in the Draft lottery. Williamson had a positive meeting with New Orleans and prior to lottery, he cited Pelicans as a targeted team to start career.

— Shams Charania (@ShamsCharania) May 16, 2019

"Zion Williamson met in Chicago with the New Orleans Pelicans and Memphis Grizzlies, the top two teams in the Draft lottery," Charania wrote. "Williamson had a positive meeting with New Orleans and prior to lottery, he cited Pelicans as a targeted team to start career."

https://www.complex.com/sports/2019/05/zion-williamson-met-new-orleans-pelicans-memphis-grizzlies

Espn and their agenda.....lol

At least there is some damage control from Zion's camp. I believe the initial reaction was genuine but at least he is committed to making the best of it and the Pelicans management are talking to him, that is key to easing any concerns he may have about going to New Orleans (cause luckily for him, he isn't going to Dell Demp's Pelicans, he's going to David Griffins Pelicans with Gentry as coach).
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 7,989

Post#95 » by HMFFL » Fri May 17, 2019 3:47 am

A article on Steve Francis CME out about eight months ago where he explained himself and experiences throughout his NBA career.
He said that Vancouver was to cols for him and etc.
Do yourself a favor and use Google to find the article because it was a very good read.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
ADMVP
Rookie
And1: 817

Post#96 » by ADMVP » Fri May 17, 2019 12:12 pm

BarneyGumble wrote:He should literally pull a Kobe. Commit to be drafted by New Orleans and then minutes before the selection inform them that he will go to Europe if they dont trade the pick to the Lakers.
You jealous huh

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
Pg81
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,661

Post#97 » by Pg81 » Fri May 17, 2019 1:18 pm

I feel some people lack serious perspective. Regardless where a top 10 pick rookie ends up, he will earn more in his first year than most of his team's fans in their life time. Zion is a top 1 pick who can expect endorsements from a variety of companies adding this to absurd amounts of money. He literally did it already from a monetary perspective. Players like MJ, LeBron, KG and the aforementioned AD where also subjected to play their first half of their career on mediocre or bad teams in a tiny market, yet they still had stellar careers. There is absolutely no argument for Zion to not accept going to the Pelicans. He will have all the opportunities to show what he is made off and the stats, if he puts them up as we expect him to, will prove it. Anybody with half a brain knows that rings are ultimately team accomplishments and lack of team success should in general not be held against a player unless there is a really good reason to.
If you're asking me who the Mavs best player is, I'd say Luka. A guy like Delon Wright probably rivals his impact though at this stage in his career. KP may as well if he gets his **** together.
GeorgeMarcus, 17/11/2019
jefe
General Manager
And1: 635

Post#98 » by jefe » Fri May 17, 2019 1:36 pm

Showtime23 wrote:
iggymcfrack wrote:New Orleans isn’t that bad. It’s actually a great space to land from a basketball perspective since they’ll be getting a lot of good young players back for Anthony Davis. What if he waits another year and gets drafted by Detroit? Or Charlotte without Kemba? Or Washington? It could totally be worse. Might as well just accept the way it went down. It’s only worth pitching a fit if you get a truly terrible situation.

Its a terrible place with 0 media attention and moreover, their organization is garbage. If they want to compete with Chicago, New York, LA, at least show something promising like OKC.

How old is Zion? His entire lifetime all he's known is trash Knicks teams, and since he's probably really be aware of things, it's been terrible Lakers and Bulls teams. Meanwhile, NOLA was in the western conference semifinals last year.
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#99 » by RaptorsLife » Fri May 17, 2019 2:00 pm

HMFFL wrote:

A article on Steve Francis CME out about eight months ago where he explained himself and experiences throughout his NBA career.
He said that Vancouver was to cols for him and etc.
Do yourself a favor and use Google to find the article because it was a very good read.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app

Thanks will read
Raptors til death
RaptorsLife
RealGM
And1: 84,016

Post#100 » by RaptorsLife » Fri May 17, 2019 2:01 pm

Do people think of OKC has some major market ??

That’s a football state made popular by Westbrook and KD at the time

No reason Zion can’t do same for New Orleans
Raptors til death

Return to The General Board