Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr.

Moderators: Yuri Vaultin, Prez, zimpy27, bwgood77, BombsquadSammy, PockyCandy, Dirk, Domejandro

dred926
Junior
Posts: 302
And1: 164
Joined: Dec 17, 2017
 

Re: Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr. 

Post#41 » by dred926 » Thu May 16, 2019 5:33 am

Up-And-Coming wrote:I'm really high on JJJ and think he will be a better Ibaka with a 3 point shot, but I think we should pump the brakes a bit for Morant. The kid could be special, but to anoint them on the same level as Doncic and Porzingis and a top young duo is premature imo.



Not yet sold on the ja morant bandwagon eh? Kid could be like fox and trae in 1 body. Morant was unknown and became a stud in 2 years ... you could just imagine the hard work the kid has put in to be this good oh wait unless he pulls a fultz... then yeah we should pump the brakes
MeloRoseNoah
Rookie
Posts: 1,027
And1: 667
Joined: Jul 12, 2014
 

Re: Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr. 

Post#42 » by MeloRoseNoah » Thu May 16, 2019 5:55 am

dred926 wrote:Not yet sold on the ja morant bandwagon eh? Kid could be like fox and trae in 1 body. Morant was unknown and became a stud in 2 years ... you could just imagine the hard work the kid has put in to be this good oh wait unless he pulls a fultz... then yeah we should pump the brakes


Morant doesn't have Trae jumper. Stop right there.

I like Morant a lot as a prospect. But, the kid might have too much of an ego, and has huge potential to be a bust. Watch a recent youtube video, in which he's already declaring himself as a Point God among NBA pgs. ROFL.
User avatar
ThumbsUpBaby
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,761
And1: 7,128
Joined: Jan 05, 2013
 

Re: Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr. 

Post#43 » by ThumbsUpBaby » Thu May 16, 2019 8:05 am

It could be a good duo, but time will tell.

I still think Fox/Bagley will be a better duo than them. For the record, I personally think Bagley will become a better player than JJJ (although it's more like the case of Jokic vs Embiid where one player edges the other). I also think Fox will become an elite PG whereas Morant is still a question mark.
antonac
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,358
And1: 997
Joined: Dec 01, 2016
 

Re: Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr. 

Post#44 » by antonac » Thu May 16, 2019 8:42 am

I'm not sure why anyone is so high on this kid.

Say he's no bust and trends steadily upwards to all-star level. Congrats, you've just drafted the next John Wall/Russell Westbrook, a totally incredible player that your fans will love and win you nothing.

This is what the sixers are now grappling with, they have Ben Simmons, who is clearly brilliant and talented, but will he actually win them anything with his mentality and lack of range? both of these things were well known before the draft. (Simmons gets more of a pass as a gamble because his passing is at times borderline supernatural and at over 6'10 he's a complete physical anomaly, Ja Morant is neither of these things)

If I have the no.2 pick I'm lowkey shopping it around for someone willing to buy high on him and not worry. I'd be perfectly happy with one of the many decent looking wings in this draft.
MemphisX
Rookie
Posts: 1,172
And1: 935
Joined: Nov 10, 2011

Re: Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr. 

Post#45 » by MemphisX » Thu May 16, 2019 10:18 am

antonac wrote:I'm not sure why anyone is so high on this kid.

Say he's no bust and trends steadily upwards to all-star level. Congrats, you've just drafted the next John Wall/Russell Westbrook, a totally incredible player that your fans will love and win you nothing.

This is what the sixers are now grappling with, they have Ben Simmons, who is clearly brilliant and talented, but will he actually win them anything with his mentality and lack of range? both of these things were well known before the draft. (Simmons gets more of a pass as a gamble because his passing is at times borderline supernatural and at over 6'10 he's a complete physical anomaly, Ja Morant is neither of these things)

If I have the no.2 pick I'm lowkey shopping it around for someone willing to buy high on him and not worry. I'd be perfectly happy with one of the many decent looking wings in this draft.



If Ja has the career arc of Westbrook/Wall, he would be a fantastic pick. Ben Simmons also.

Winning a title, which I can only assume you mean because Westbrook has been to the finals, goes far beyond just the point guard or any one player. Heck, look at Chris Paul. I will take a decade of contention and frustration.
User avatar
ElectricMayhem
Head Coach
Posts: 7,367
And1: 6,114
Joined: Jul 01, 2006
Location: Kobe-Osaka
     

Re: Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr. 

Post#46 » by ElectricMayhem » Thu May 16, 2019 10:28 am

I think Morant is a great pick. He's got more than a month more of worldly experience that he can share with the young JJJ.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.
User avatar
Young gun 6
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,699
And1: 2,635
Joined: Dec 23, 2014
     

Re: Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr. 

Post#47 » by Young gun 6 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:49 am

Ja, Booker and Ayton would’ve been better :(
antonac
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,358
And1: 997
Joined: Dec 01, 2016
 

Re: Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr. 

Post#48 » by antonac » Thu May 16, 2019 11:30 am

MemphisX wrote:
antonac wrote:I'm not sure why anyone is so high on this kid.

Say he's no bust and trends steadily upwards to all-star level. Congrats, you've just drafted the next John Wall/Russell Westbrook, a totally incredible player that your fans will love and win you nothing.

This is what the sixers are now grappling with, they have Ben Simmons, who is clearly brilliant and talented, but will he actually win them anything with his mentality and lack of range? both of these things were well known before the draft. (Simmons gets more of a pass as a gamble because his passing is at times borderline supernatural and at over 6'10 he's a complete physical anomaly, Ja Morant is neither of these things)

If I have the no.2 pick I'm lowkey shopping it around for someone willing to buy high on him and not worry. I'd be perfectly happy with one of the many decent looking wings in this draft.



If Ja has the career arc of Westbrook/Wall, he would be a fantastic pick. Ben Simmons also.

Winning a title, which I can only assume you mean because Westbrook has been to the finals, goes far beyond just the point guard or any one player. Heck, look at Chris Paul. I will take a decade of contention and frustration.


I disagree, certain play styles can mire you in mediocrity. Are washington and OKC contending? don't think so, westbrook hasn't made it out the 1st round without Durant.

It would be a bold move certainly but given that Morant is gamble like any lottery pick, seems to come with a huge ego on him and projects as a player that doesn't translate to winning. I'd be shopping him for Hunter or Barrett and trying to get an extra pick.
User avatar
E-Balla
RealGM
Posts: 28,964
And1: 17,564
Joined: Dec 19, 2012
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones
   

Re: Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr. 

Post#49 » by E-Balla » Thu May 16, 2019 12:16 pm

Dacost wrote:Dream scenario for the Grizzlies yes they won't win right a way because the west is rough right now.

Jaren and Morant

Vs

Donic and Porzingis(if healthy)

Will rule the West in future.

Bagley and Fox got the 9th seed, no mention.
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." - Martin Luther King
TheProfessor
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,448
And1: 401
Joined: May 01, 2010

Re: Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr. 

Post#50 » by TheProfessor » Thu May 16, 2019 12:37 pm

Ja and Jackson is pick and pop heaven. Ja has the it factor, he just needs to calm down and relax. His first year is going to be ugly and inefficent. However as soon as the game slows down for him, the nba should be on red alert. If I am memphis, I throw BIG 1-2 year deals to Green/Reddick/Milsap and get out of the BOS pick and give veteran leadership to Ja and JJ while giving them spacing as well.
Teal25
Senior
Posts: 648
And1: 416
Joined: Apr 14, 2018
 

Re: Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr. 

Post#51 » by Teal25 » Thu May 16, 2019 12:49 pm

People on this site are so weird. Who said they were going to make the playoffs? Still doesn’t change the fact that Ja and JJJ is a great pairing. Hopefully both stay healthy. The Grizzlies deserve this.

I would sell high on JV and Conley. JJJ best position is center. No need to keep JV around because he can’t rebound yet when they’re not winning anything for a few years. There’s ton of point guards they can sign for the minimum who can mentor Ja. Sell high on Conley.
User avatar
Crizzle
Ballboy
Posts: 33
And1: 10
Joined: Jun 19, 2018
 

Re: Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr. 

Post#52 » by Crizzle » Thu May 16, 2019 12:51 pm

if phoenix comes offering a package around the 6th pick for conley, who are you targeting?
User avatar
Crizzle
Ballboy
Posts: 33
And1: 10
Joined: Jun 19, 2018
 

Re: Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr. 

Post#53 » by Crizzle » Thu May 16, 2019 12:57 pm

or chicago and 7*
DNice68
Junior
Posts: 342
And1: 75
Joined: Aug 22, 2012

Re: Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr. 

Post#54 » by DNice68 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:18 pm

contestedlayups wrote:Not sure how this hasn't had a thread quite yet, but this is going to be one of the most exciting pairings in the NBA starting next season, assuming that Memphis doesn't do something crazy and draft someone else. I can see Memphis going with 2 PG lineups with Conley and Morant on the floor at the same time, due to Morant's range that he displayed in the NCAA tournament. This much is for certain: they're going to be a league pass team next year for sure.

Oh yes, they will be an exciting duo. Jaren was the second best rookie in the league when healthy. Ja to me is Westbrook with a high basketball iq!
VCfor3
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,884
And1: 760
Joined: May 11, 2017
 

Re: Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr. 

Post#55 » by VCfor3 » Thu May 16, 2019 2:51 pm

Crizzle wrote:if phoenix comes offering a package around the 6th pick for conley, who are you targeting?


At 6/7 I probably am seeing if Hunter or Culver fall. If they don't, I'm not opposed to trying to trade back. 10+35+2022 ATL 2nd if they want to grab Cam at 6/7 and Hayes at 8. At 10 you can take a stab at someone like Sekou or maybe trade down another few spots for another 2nd or two and grab Herro, Bol Bol, Keldon J, or NAW.
User avatar
WuTang_OG
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,279
And1: 8,563
Joined: Sep 26, 2017
 

Re: Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr. 

Post#56 » by WuTang_OG » Thu May 16, 2019 3:45 pm

JA Mormont
Delon Wright
Cj Miles
Jaren
JV
Dacost
Freshman
Posts: 72
And1: 69
Joined: Feb 21, 2017

Re: Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr. 

Post#57 » by Dacost » Thu May 16, 2019 3:53 pm

Grizzlies have no choice they need someone with superstar potential they had 0 superstars so far in franchise history now they might have 2.

I still think JJJ is going to the best player of last year draft at least the best Big man.
Coeur
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,911
And1: 260
Joined: Jan 18, 2016

Re: Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr. 

Post#58 » by Coeur » Thu May 16, 2019 3:58 pm

E-Balla wrote:
Dacost wrote:Dream scenario for the Grizzlies yes they won't win right a way because the west is rough right now.

Jaren and Morant

Vs

Donic and Porzingis(if healthy)

Will rule the West in future.

Bagley and Fox got the 9th seed, no mention.


Jokic and Murray
User avatar
E-Balla
RealGM
Posts: 28,964
And1: 17,564
Joined: Dec 19, 2012
Location: The Poster Formerly Known As The Gotham City Pantalones
   

Re: Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr. 

Post#59 » by E-Balla » Thu May 16, 2019 4:00 pm

Coeur wrote:
E-Balla wrote:
Dacost wrote:Dream scenario for the Grizzlies yes they won't win right a way because the west is rough right now.

Jaren and Morant

Vs

Donic and Porzingis(if healthy)

Will rule the West in future.

Bagley and Fox got the 9th seed, no mention.


Jokic and Murray

They already made it I think that's why they're not mentioned. Dudes made it to game 7 of the semi finals as a second seed.
"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." - Martin Luther King
shi-woo
Junior
Posts: 307
And1: 268
Joined: Jun 17, 2018

Re: Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr. 

Post#60 » by shi-woo » Thu May 16, 2019 4:32 pm

Spens1 wrote:Solid duo but it is going to be a rough few years in Memphis but with those two at least they may be able to turn it around.
Every Celtic fan everywhere is praying this is true. Just stay God awful for two years, that's all we ask for

Sent from my D6708 using RealGM mobile app

Return to The General Board