Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr.

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,243

Re: Ja Morant and Jaren Jackson Jr. 

Post#61 » by Dan Z » Thu May 16, 2019 4:44 pm

Paradise wrote:
Effigy wrote:Either way that's probably the last place team in the West. Especially if they move Conley.

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. Valenciunas looked like he’s going to become the talent that made him a Top 5 pick and they were winning games with him and without JJJ and Kyle Anderson. He helped them beat Houston and quite a few others so the Grizz could be better than people think with the right coaching hire.

Also...Bruno showed improvement and Avery Bradley played well (but I don't know if he stays..?).
Crizzle
Rookie
And1: 1,004

Post#62 » by Crizzle » Thu May 16, 2019 4:50 pm

Dan Z wrote:
Paradise wrote:
Effigy wrote:Either way that's probably the last place team in the West. Especially if they move Conley.

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. Valenciunas looked like he’s going to become the talent that made him a Top 5 pick and they were winning games with him and without JJJ and Kyle Anderson. He helped them beat Houston and quite a few others so the Grizz could be better than people think with the right coaching hire.

Also...Bruno showed improvement and Avery Bradley played well (but I don't know if he stays..?).

as much as id like to keep him im pretty sure we cant afford it.
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,243

Post#63 » by Dan Z » Thu May 16, 2019 4:58 pm

Crizzle wrote:
Dan Z wrote:
Paradise wrote:

as much as id like to keep him im pretty sure we cant afford it.

It depends on what the plan is for next year. I just looked up his contract. He has 12.9 million for next year if the Grizzlies don't waive him (if they waive him then only 2 million is guaranteed). It's possible that they either like him or think he might be a decent trade piece (even though he played poorly before his time in Memphis).

It's also possible that they move on and save the money. I have no idea but those are the options.
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,592

Post#64 » by AK47MVP » Thu May 16, 2019 5:48 pm

Not if they keep Bradley and JV.
Up-And-Coming
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,687

Post#65 » by Up-And-Coming » Thu May 16, 2019 5:58 pm

dred926 wrote:
Up-And-Coming wrote:I'm really high on JJJ and think he will be a better Ibaka with a 3 point shot, but I think we should pump the brakes a bit for Morant. The kid could be special, but to anoint them on the same level as Doncic and Porzingis and a top young duo is premature imo.

Not yet sold on the ja morant bandwagon eh? Kid could be like fox and trae in 1 body. Morant was unknown and became a stud in 2 years ... you could just imagine the hard work the kid has put in to be this good oh wait unless he pulls a fultz... then yeah we should pump the brakes

Ya haha that’s what I’m saying. He could be a combo of Fox and Trae, which would be one of the greatest pg’s ever haha or he could be a Fultz type player. We just don’t know yet
Durant Durant
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,094

Post#66 » by Durant Durant » Thu May 16, 2019 6:29 pm

Ja Morant is gonna be a beast next season.
No no yes yes
PistolPeteJR
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#67 » by PistolPeteJR » Thu May 16, 2019 6:46 pm

antonac wrote:I'm not sure why anyone is so high on this kid.

Say he's no bust and trends steadily upwards to all-star level. Congrats, you've just drafted the next John Wall/Russell Westbrook, a totally incredible player that your fans will love and win you nothing.

This is what the sixers are now grappling with, they have Ben Simmons, who is clearly brilliant and talented, but will he actually win them anything with his mentality and lack of range? both of these things were well known before the draft. (Simmons gets more of a pass as a gamble because his passing is at times borderline supernatural and at over 6'10 he's a complete physical anomaly, Ja Morant is neither of these things)

If I have the no.2 pick I'm lowkey shopping it around for someone willing to buy high on him and not worry. I'd be perfectly happy with one of the many decent looking wings in this draft.

Soooo...what you’re saying is that Ja Morant isn’t Evan Turner, Michael Carter-Williams, Jonny Flynn...and that he’ll be better than a guy like CJ McCollum for example, will be like Wall and Westbrook, and your analysis is that that’s a terrible pick?

Grizzly fans, rejoice at the fact that this guy isn’t your GM.
Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,942

Post#68 » by Effigy » Thu May 16, 2019 7:07 pm

AK47MVP wrote:

Not if they keep Bradley and JV.

Even then. This ain't the Eastern conference. Even the bad teams have good players.
dred926
Senior
And1: 449

Post#69 » by dred926 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:52 pm

MeloRoseNoah wrote:
dred926 wrote:Not yet sold on the ja morant bandwagon eh? Kid could be like fox and trae in 1 body. Morant was unknown and became a stud in 2 years ... you could just imagine the hard work the kid has put in to be this good oh wait unless he pulls a fultz... then yeah we should pump the brakes

Morant doesn't have Trae jumper. Stop right there.

I like Morant a lot as a prospect. But, the kid might have too much of an ego, and has huge potential to be a bust. Watch a recent youtube video, in which he's already declaring himself as a Point God among NBA pgs. ROFL.

I mentioned Trae because of passing come on now.... what do yo u want him to say that i will be bad and will just be better? if you are going to dream. dream big. He can rebound score and defend.

Name one top prospect who said they dont want to be the best.... they are applicants and cream of the crop. too much ego? wtf fultz said he will be rookie mvp same wiith embiid declaring he is the best player.
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#70 » by DetroitPistons » Thu May 16, 2019 11:58 pm

VCfor3 wrote:I think Conley is gone this summer. He has all but asked out. He also may get a somewhat decent return since he is one of the best players actually available on the market even if his contract isn't ideal.

If MEM is smart they would trade Conley on draft and get another first round pick and take a guy like Porter for example. Valanciunas is looking great for you guys and is still really young. You guys can then tank while playing the young guys and hope to keep your pick next year to add to Morant, Porter, Jackson, Valanciunas. That would be a sick core.
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#71 » by Prospect Dong » Fri May 17, 2019 12:06 am

MeloRoseNoah wrote:
dred926 wrote:Not yet sold on the ja morant bandwagon eh? Kid could be like fox and trae in 1 body. Morant was unknown and became a stud in 2 years ... you could just imagine the hard work the kid has put in to be this good oh wait unless he pulls a fultz... then yeah we should pump the brakes

I like Morant a lot as a prospect. But, the kid might have too much of an ego, and has huge potential to be a bust. Watch a recent youtube video, in which he's already declaring himself as a Point God among NBA pgs. ROFL.

If history has taught me one thing, it's that you never trust a basketball player who's vocally confident in his abilities. You've got to get the guys who think that they suck...
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,225

Post#72 » by Clemenza » Fri May 17, 2019 12:13 am

WuTang_OG wrote:JA Mormont
Delon Wright
Cj Miles
Jaren
JV

CJ Miles?? LOL.. How ya'll gonna forget about Bruno Caboclo. He started to break out at the end of last season
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,817

Post#73 » by HotelVitale » Fri May 17, 2019 12:26 am

dred926 wrote:
Up-And-Coming wrote:I'm really high on JJJ and think he will be a better Ibaka with a 3 point shot, but I think we should pump the brakes a bit for Morant. The kid could be special, but to anoint them on the same level as Doncic and Porzingis and a top young duo is premature imo.
Not yet sold on the ja morant bandwagon eh? Kid could be like fox and trae in 1 body. Morant was unknown and became a stud in 2 years ... you could just imagine the hard work the kid has put in to be this good oh wait unless he pulls a fultz... then yeah we should pump the brakes

I definitely don't get the surefire star hype with Morant, he has nice athleticism but not the sort of dominant, gamechanging speed+airwalking that D Rose or Wall had, or even the crazy quickness of D Fox. I don't even think he'll stand out much as an athlete in the NBA, certainly not enough to have that be the basis for him being a great player. His handle and vision also aren't top-shelf, and of course his shooting isn't either, and all together I have a hard time seeing how he has a direct path to being a star. If he learns really good pace, control, vision, etc in the NBA then he can be really good, and I'm not skeptical of him as a NBA prospect or anything. But I don't see him as a super prospect, and I definitely don't think the Grizz or their fans should be penciling him in as a definite cornerstone. He seems like a nice top-7ish prospect whose NBA future depends on how much he masters the game (and that varies enormously and can't really be predicted), could easily be just a guy if he has just an average development.
Dacost
Sixth Man
And1: 1,286

Post#74 » by Dacost » Fri May 17, 2019 1:04 am

I just don't get the hate on Ja Morant people keep trying pick his game apart.

I think Grizz fans should be really happy with Ja no matter what the kid will have Conley (for a while) to teach him.Its also a really small market so he will have time to make mistakes and get bettet not only that he will have a future two-way star in Jaren Jackson to play with for years to come.
Chanel Bomber
RealGM
And1: 37,520

Post#75 » by Chanel Bomber » Fri May 17, 2019 1:07 am

WuTang_OG wrote:JA Mormont
Delon Wright
Cj Miles
Jaren
JV

That's amazing :lol:
Crizzle
Rookie
And1: 1,004

Post#76 » by Crizzle » Fri May 17, 2019 2:38 pm

whether or not they equate to wins soon, they will be exciting to watch which is something memphis has been lacking for a while now
MeloRoseNoah
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#77 » by MeloRoseNoah » Fri May 17, 2019 6:26 pm

Prospect Dong wrote:
MeloRoseNoah wrote:

If history has taught me one thing, it's that you never trust a basketball player who's vocally confident in his abilities. You've got to get the guys who think that they suck...

There’s a difference bet being cocky vs being confident. Being confident is saying stuff like I think I can be one of the best players at pg in the history of the game with hard work and dedication to the game. Being cocky is saying stupid crap like I’m a NBA god right now.

The difference bet the two is that one has an elite work ethic whereas the other is a likely bum who will settle for things. It’s also a sign of maturity.

Work ethic and maturity imo are the two most important factors towards a player reaching their potential vs being a bust.
Prospect Dong
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,122

Post#78 » by Prospect Dong » Fri May 17, 2019 10:40 pm

MeloRoseNoah wrote:
Prospect Dong wrote:
MeloRoseNoah wrote:

There’s a difference bet being cocky vs being confident. Being confident is saying stuff like I think I can be one of the best players at pg in the history of the game with hard work and dedication to the game. Being cocky is saying stupid crap like I’m a NBA god right now.

The difference bet the two is that one has an elite work ethic whereas the other is a likely bum who will settle for things. It’s also a sign of maturity.

Work ethic and maturity imo are the two most important factors towards a player reaching their potential vs being a bust.

Maybe something like this?

“I have to get stronger to really be able to absorb contact in the league,” Morant said. “I’m in the weight room now actually. I’m working on my upper body."
"shooting free throws in the ACC is much tougher"

KawhiRaptors
Coeur
Assistant Coach
And1: 668

Post#79 » by Coeur » Fri May 17, 2019 11:19 pm

Dacost wrote:Dream scenario for the Grizzlies yes they won't win right a way because the west is rough right now.

Jaren and Morant

Vs

Donic and Porzingis(if healthy)

Will rule the West in future.

Denver is so much better and deeper than those two teams. And Jokic/Murray headline just as well or better
JazzUte88
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,036

Post#80 » by JazzUte88 » Sat May 18, 2019 10:22 am

Morant and JJJ got a lot of talent, but they should trade Conley and be terrible again this season.

Return to The General Board