What team got screwed the most?

Moderators: Yuri Vaultin, Prez, zimpy27, bwgood77, BombsquadSammy, PockyCandy, Dirk, Domejandro

Dominater
RealGM
And1: 15,676

Re: What team got screwed the most? 

Post#21 » by Dominater » Wed May 15, 2019 8:56 pm

Forbes wrote:The Suns. I look at 1-3 the same. Had the same odds, Knicks still got 3.

The Suns I’m sure with 1-3 would have been able to start making some big decisions. Especially if they got #1 and wanted Morant. They could have traded down to #2 and picked up some more pieces. How unfortunate.

Bulls got shafted just as much as the Suns did. And worse considering that last year we also dropped from 6 to 7 while the Suns moved up to #1, yet didn't even improve with such a gift
Lauri Markkanen is making me eat crow...... And I'm loving every bite of it

Dennis who?
Atlhawks09
Bench Warmer
And1: 862

Post#22 » by Atlhawks09 » Wed May 15, 2019 8:57 pm

Therein93 wrote:The Knicks got a top 3 pick plus Dallas' pick conveyed to Atlanta, which officially starts the clock on the picks the Mavs sent to the Knicks instead of pushing those picks out another year. The Knicks did all right.

The Hawks didn't do well, even starting before the draft when the Mavs lost the coin toss in the draft order to fall behind New Orleans and Memphis. The Hawks had good odds of #5 and #7 at season's end, but ended up with #8 and #10.

Hawks actually had only a 2.2% chance to stay at 5. They did have better odds at 1/2/3/4/6/7 than 8 though.
baldur
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,812

Post#23 » by baldur » Wed May 15, 2019 8:59 pm

Hawks clearly. Dallas had the worst 6th record for a while before season ending. They could have had 5th and 6th picks easily, even better.. Now they have 8th and 10th.
duke714
Ballboy
And1: 40

Post#24 » by duke714 » Wed May 15, 2019 9:39 pm

:wink: Most definitely Philadelphia if Kings landed number one :wink:
Spens1
RealGM
And1: 3,012

Post#25 » by Spens1 » Thu May 16, 2019 8:13 am

Suns, Cavaliers and Knicks.

Grizz, Pels and Lakers won, all of them got picks they had no business getting to be honest :lol:
Buzzard
Pro Prospect
And1: 566

Post#26 » by Buzzard » Thu May 16, 2019 8:23 am

FelixD wrote:Atlanta went from 5 to 8 ,and from 9 to 10

Hawks pick could have dropped as low as 10th. Dallas could have kept their pick if they would have moved up to 5th or better. So we could have ended up with just the 10th pick and totally lost this years Mavs pick as a worse case. Now think about who the Mavs were tied with. Pelicans and Memphis, Dallas would have been one of them moving up had they not lost the tie breaker.

Our luck was bad but nothing like being in the top three spots ( worse teams ) and not getting a top four pick; or a tie breaker costing a #1 or #2.
Clay Davis
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,428

Post#27 » by Clay Davis » Thu May 16, 2019 8:39 am

mplsfonz23 wrote:Who lost the most by this years lotto?

Original order
1) Knicks
2) Cavs
3) Suns
4) Bulls
5) Atl

New order
1) NO
2) Memphis
3) Knicks
4) Lakers
5) Cavs
6) Suns

The obvious answer should be the Knicks, but given the need for a star, and the only way they could become relevant again, I think the Cavs got screwed the hardest. From 2 to 5 is a huge drop and so it seems the talent drops after 3.

Thoughts?
No one got screwed. The 'original order' was never the order. There's no reason for this entitlement. You may as well talk about the Warriors as the 'original winner' of the 2016 Finals.

Sent from my ASUS_X00HD using RealGM mobile app
We talkin' 'bout money laundering? In WEST BALTIMORE?!
Buzzard
Pro Prospect
And1: 566

Post#28 » by Buzzard » Thu May 16, 2019 9:20 am

Clay Davis wrote:

Original order
1) Knicks
2) Cavs
3) Suns
4) Bulls
5) Atl

New order
1) NO
2) Memphis
3) Knicks
4) Lakers
5) Cavs
6) Suns

The obvious answer should be the Knicks, but given the need for a star, and the only way they could become relevant again, I think the Cavs got screwed the hardest. From 2 to 5 is a huge drop and so it seems the talent drops after 3.

Thoughts?
No one got screwed. The 'original order' was never the order. There's no reason for this entitlement. You may as well talk about the Warriors as the 'original winner' of the 2016 Finals.

I agree and have never heard of a lottery being based on entitlement or skill. But I do think most everyday people associate it with luck. Good luck, bad luck, or the luck of the draw as some would say. I like this new format and think it will help greatly with the tanking race to last place.
reborn123
Senior
And1: 476

Post#29 » by reborn123 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:32 am

facothomas22 wrote:The Suns,Bulls and the Cavaliers all got screw equally. Punishing teams for being bad(often times completely out of their control) isn't a solution to get rid of"tanking". This new draft system is very flawed, and it favors big market teams, and teams with mediocre records more, while screwing bad and small market teams.

My Grizzlies are fine. Losing shouldn't be rewarded.
svart
Rookie
And1: 721

Post#30 » by svart » Thu May 16, 2019 9:35 am

8on was screwed the most.
orlando_joe
Rookie
And1: 366

Post#31 » by orlando_joe » Thu May 16, 2019 9:36 am

DreamTeam09 wrote:Dallas had the same record as NO and Memphis - Dallas lost the tie breaker pre-draft and was 9th while NO n Memphis were 7th n 8th, again Dallas had the same record.

Imagine Zion or JA with Luka n KP, well a coin-flipped cost us that, or 1 extra win

karma for last yr tanking last game to jump magic and steal luka
PharmD
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,149

Post#32 » by PharmD » Thu May 16, 2019 9:41 am

The Suns having the 2nd worst record in the league and picking 6th seems bad.
orlando_joe
Rookie
And1: 366

Post#33 » by orlando_joe » Thu May 16, 2019 9:43 am

Buzzard wrote:
Clay Davis wrote:

Original order
1) Knicks
2) Cavs
3) Suns
4) Bulls
5) Atl

New order
1) NO
2) Memphis
3) Knicks
4) Lakers
5) Cavs
6) Suns

Thoughts?

I agree and have never heard of a lottery being based on entitlement or skill. But I do think most everyday people associate it with luck. Good luck, bad luck, or the luck of the draw as some would say. I like this new format and think it will help greatly with the tanking race to last place.

I agree..but now tanking will be to miss playoffs...maybe no more 5 team race to last 3 playoff spots like happened in east this yr
TimRobbins
Head Coach
And1: 1,733

Post#34 » by TimRobbins » Thu May 16, 2019 9:45 am

The lottery needs to fixed in a way that reflects past picks. If there are two bad teams and one hasn't gotten a #1 pick in 30 years, the odds need to reflect that. Knicks should have gotten the #1 pick, but they could still end up with the best player in #3.
TimRobbins
Head Coach

Post#35 » by TimRobbins » Thu May 16, 2019 9:46 am

PharmD wrote:The Suns having the 2nd worst record in the league and picking 6th seems bad.

Suns got #1 the season before. They hardly got "screwed".
TimRobbins
Head Coach

Post#36 » by TimRobbins » Thu May 16, 2019 9:48 am

Dominater wrote:
Forbes wrote:The Suns. I look at 1-3 the same. Had the same odds, Knicks still got 3.

The Suns I’m sure with 1-3 would have been able to start making some big decisions. Especially if they got #1 and wanted Morant. They could have traded down to #2 and picked up some more pieces. How unfortunate.

Bulls got shafted just as much as the Suns did. And worse considering that last year we also dropped from 6 to 7 while the Suns moved up to #1, yet didn't even improve with such a gift

Bulls got screwed the most in this draft. They had the best odds for #1 and ended up with #7 where is seems unlikely they can get an impact player.
reborn123
Senior
And1: 476

Post#37 » by reborn123 » Thu May 16, 2019 9:52 am

I would even go crazier and add the 7th and 8th seeds from both conferences to the lottery pool. Adds a lot of uncertainty during the offseason, and a possible avenue for mediocre teams to improve. It's the middle of the pack teams trying to at least compete that got screwed in the past. Meanwhile crap teams tanking shamelessly got rewarded.
mabundo_nagumbe
Sophomore
And1: 177

Post#38 » by mabundo_nagumbe » Thu May 16, 2019 9:59 am

Crives wrote:Suns... only consolation is there may not be much difference in value between the 4-6 prospects (Garland/Hunter/Culver). So maybe we get #4/5 value on a cheaper contract.

Really hurts not landing top 3. With our other assets we could have had a good offer for a star like Beal/AD

I don't think any star wants to go to a franchise as disfunctional as the Suns. You are gonna be lucky if Booker stays for more than a year (I imagine he is gonna want to be traded sooner or later, but who wants an overrated player on a max contract?). Plus, you got lucky last year with #1 pick, and while it is not certain, it looks more and more like there were at least two better players that you could have picked.
leolozon
Starter
And1: 2,242

Post#39 » by leolozon » Thu May 16, 2019 11:34 am

FelixD wrote:Atlanta went from 5 to 8 ,and from 9 to 10

They also lost the Mavs coin flip, it was a three-way tie. They could have had two picks in the top 7.

Then again, the Mavs weren't supposed to blow it up and be that bad, so 10th pick is actually slightly better than what they should have been expecting at the beginning of the year. Dallas could have also moved up. So, it could have been worst. I don't think it could have been much worst for the Suns.
Crives
Sixth Man
And1: 796

Post#40 » by Crives » Thu May 16, 2019 12:04 pm

mabundo_nagumbe wrote:
Crives wrote:Suns... only consolation is there may not be much difference in value between the 4-6 prospects (Garland/Hunter/Culver). So maybe we get #4/5 value on a cheaper contract.

Really hurts not landing top 3. With our other assets we could have had a good offer for a star like Beal/AD

I don't think any star wants to go to a franchise as disfunctional as the Suns. You are gonna be lucky if Booker stays for more than a year (I imagine he is gonna want to be traded sooner or later, but who wants an overrated player on a max contract?). Plus, you got lucky last year with #1 pick, and while it is not certain, it looks more and more like there were at least two better players that you could have picked.

Thanks bro, your really cool

Return to The General Board