Julius Randle. What does he do?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Re: Julius Randle. What does he do? 

Post#81 » by HurricaneKid » Sat May 18, 2019 3:29 pm

evilpimp972 wrote:
HurricaneKid wrote:
evilpimp972 wrote:Curry / Lilliard / Kanter ?

PPG is actually important if you are much more valuable than Randle.

But please, stop making false statements like your last one. As if no bad defender even won a championship, that's nonsense.
Curry? GTFO.

Kanter only played 14 min in G2 and was a FA a short while ago. And he was still demonstrably better this year.

Not many bigs he could play beside. BroLo maybe.

Destroys defensive integrity. Destroys spacing. Blew up as the team folded for the season. That was no accident. And he was on my fantasy team this year. Closer to Greg Monroe than anything productive.

Sent from my VS995 using RealGM mobile app

Lilliard. Curry is constantly targeted. And this is the last time you tell me to GTFO without providing any facts, or you'll regret it. I do not handle insult very well.
Curry is targeted because there aren't other defensive weaknesses on the team. And he stands up fairly well to attacks. I think his worst DRPM over the past 5 years are all better than every year of Randles career.

And being a mediocre G defender is NOT the same as being a bad big defender. You are seeing it across all levels of basketball. You have to be able to defend the rim, rim run on PnRs, and possibly switch. Randle is mediocre at switching and doesn't do either of the other two at all. He also takes away lines to the basket as his man will always be in the lane.

Sent from my VS995 using RealGM mobile app
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#82 » by DoItALL9 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:58 pm

Random guess, Al Horford leaves Boston and Julius Randle signs with Boston for 4years for ~$50M
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,066

Post#83 » by Lalouie » Sat May 18, 2019 4:32 pm

Go to the best org that offers the most money
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,233

Post#84 » by Dan Z » Sat May 18, 2019 5:47 pm

beeshma wrote:He is an empty stats player who doesn’t win you games. My guess is he’s signed by a team that has trouble scoring, and paid the mid level exception at most.

When was he on a team that you thought would actually win a bunch of games?
lordjeff05
Veteran
And1: 767

Post#85 » by lordjeff05 » Sat May 18, 2019 6:30 pm

I was of fan of Randle this year, even with his faults. He showed elite level scoring ability, and when paired with Pels starters, he had a really strong plus minus. It’s interesting because I see a lot of similarities between him and Zion, and I really believe that with the right small forward and point guard compliment, he, AD and Jrue could have been dangerous.

All of that to say, you put him on the right team and he could really shine. His ceiling is second option on a championship level contender. He’s worth 15 a year.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,869

Post#86 » by LakersLegacy » Sat May 18, 2019 6:58 pm

Zion and Randle should be twin (almost) towers.
Lalouie
RealGM
And1: 10,066

Post#87 » by Lalouie » Sat May 18, 2019 7:07 pm

randle is a rare beast. he came out of high school with something of the same resume as zion. ie, of the three wiggins/parker/randle the other two showed more finesse and skills. randle was an athletic beast of the three.

when you start out with THAT and add a blue collar drive to your game, that is hard to come by - he's a athletic blue collar guy

he'll thrive anywhere unless he goes to a system that belittles his game
beantownski
Bench Warmer
And1: 598

Post#88 » by beantownski » Sat May 18, 2019 8:27 pm

DoItALL9 wrote:Random guess, Al Horford leaves Boston and Julius Randle signs with Boston for 4years for ~$50M

nothing about randle's game fits how they play in boston.

he'll get overpaid by someone (not the Cs). not a fan of his game. he's an undersized center.
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their
shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and
you'll have their shoes.
beeshma
Starter
And1: 1,793

Post#89 » by beeshma » Sat May 18, 2019 10:41 pm

Dan Z wrote:
beeshma wrote:He is an empty stats player who doesn’t win you games. My guess is he’s signed by a team that has trouble scoring, and paid the mid level exception at most.

When was he on a team that you thought would actually win a bunch of games?

I think you can see greatness in a player no matter their circumstance. Some players have it, and others don’t. Randle is a bull in a china shop...sure he can wreak havoc for 5 minutes, but he lacks the skills to play within an offense.
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,554

Post#90 » by lonzo_pelota » Sat May 18, 2019 10:45 pm

Jon1798 wrote:
evilpimp972 wrote:
jamaalstar21 wrote:
i really don't believe that you pay attention to players defense with a statement like this.

Randle struggles in almost every defensive situation. He can't protect the rim, his effort and focus is very inconsistent, his footwork is poor. His strength and mobility give him some 1 on 1 ability and he can definitely switch a little, but he average length and height make him a bit of a liabilility in most situation. He lacks Draymond potential because he doesn't have Dray's 7'3 wingspan, meat cleaver hands, defensive ferocity and genius anticipation (plus evil sneaky fouling).

There is a version of Julius Randle that becomes a plus defender and as switch everything strong body, maybe like a quicker Marcus Morris. But he's a long ways away right now and looked mostly bad this year.

He looked pretty good defensively with the Lakers.
That pelicans team with Jrue and AD as their best defender still couldnt defend...i remember AD looking lost at times. Sorry but its coaching more than anything.

He had a -.13 defensive rpm with the Lakers, and a whopping -1.38 drpm this season. Putting him 93rd amongst qualifying PF’s. In a league of 30 teams lol.

Anthony Davis was 1st last year and 4th this year as a comparison on the same team.

Randle is a black hole defensively. Completely loses his guy off ball and boxing out. There is something missing with him, it’s the strangest and most maddening thing.

yeah he goes hard on the offensive in and then literally snoozes on defense, he tends to play a little bit of D in the first quarter but it gradually dissolves as the game goes on , i can see why coaches get frustrated , he has all the tools to be better on the defensive end
after this big contract i hate to think how much more he'll relax on d
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#91 » by Winsome Gerbil » Sat May 18, 2019 10:55 pm

He's got to use his statistical explosion and an all time big $$ FA market this summer to try to score a big deal from some disappointed and desperate team who missed out on the max guys.

Staying in New Orleans would be extremely dangerous to his future finances. There is absolutely no saying/guarantee for how his role, minutes, shots, and of course health would work out next year. Now's his money window.

Return to The General Board