Julius Randle. What does he do?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Re: Julius Randle. What does he do? 

Post#61 » by TheNewEra » Fri May 17, 2019 5:33 pm

jayu70 wrote:Semi-related question: what would his trade value be in terms of a pick in this draft if he for example had an additional 2 years on his current deal?

2 more years at 9 mil per he would be in the Nets 16th pick to 21st range OKC imo

Still like him to take over for Milsap with the Nuggets
xdrta+
General Manager
And1: 7,242

Post#62 » by xdrta+ » Fri May 17, 2019 5:54 pm

RCM88x wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
RCM88x wrote:Watch out for Golden State if KD (and Klay?) leaves. I wouldn't be surprised if he takes less money (or not if Klay leaves) to go there, and it's a great fit I think.

Pacers, Mavericks, even the Clippers and 6ers are players too if they strikeout on others.

Golden State? Will he opt out of $9M to sign for the $5.7M MLE? Because that's all GS can offer.

If no one offers him enough perhaps, I really don't know what his value will be this off-season, it's entirely possible there's no big money available and he just takes a smaller deal to spite everyone. GS will have a lot of space in 2020 so getting a foot in the door early could be smart.

Honestly after the DMC situation I wouldn't doubt anything.

Cousins was a unique situation. The deadline to opt-in is June 29, so I'm sure his agent is out there gauging the market right now. I'm pretty sure he'll do better than $9M, and I'm also sure there's no way he ends up on GS. As for 2020, assuming Klay and Green are back (and they will be), there's no way GS has any cap space to speak of.
yassillio
Rookie
And1: 1,074

Post#63 » by yassillio » Fri May 17, 2019 5:55 pm

Banana Milk wrote:Suns need a PF

Suns need everything :lol:
Leo: I tell players all the time
RCM88x
RealGM
And1: 18,973

Post#64 » by RCM88x » Fri May 17, 2019 5:56 pm

xdrta+ wrote:
RCM88x wrote:
xdrta+ wrote:
Golden State? Will he opt out of $9M to sign for the $5.7M MLE? Because that's all GS can offer.

If no one offers him enough perhaps, I really don't know what his value will be this off-season, it's entirely possible there's no big money available and he just takes a smaller deal to spite everyone. GS will have a lot of space in 2020 so getting a foot in the door early could be smart.

Honestly after the DMC situation I wouldn't doubt anything.

Cousins was a unique situation. The deadline to opt-in is June 29, so I'm sure his agent is out there gauging the market right now. I'm pretty sure he'll do better than $9M, and I'm also sure there's no way he ends up on GS. As for 2020, assuming Klay and Green are back (and they will be), there's no way GS has any cap space to speak of.

Well sure, if we assume they are then yeah it's unlikely but who knows.

LookToShoot wrote:Melo is the only player that makes the Rockets watchable for the basketball purists. Otherwise it would just be three point shots and pick n roll.
JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,101

Post#65 » by JB2 » Fri May 17, 2019 6:02 pm

Dallas IMO is the perfect fit as KP is the perfect complimentary C.

BK also makes a ton of sense. Allen/Randle/Harris/Levert/D'Angelo
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,322

Post#66 » by Scalabrine » Fri May 17, 2019 6:35 pm

dirkforpres wrote:Dallas will pursue him. He’s from here and we have a glaring hole at PF

Perfect fit there, but I have a feeling Dallas is aiming higher.

They are gonna have 25-30 mil in capspace this summer and they could possibly create more if they renounce Finney Smith, Kleber, Jackson OR if KP plays on the QO and doesn't sign an extension. I feel like realistically they should be looking at their target list as:

1. Walker
2. Vucevic
3. Middleton
4. Brogdon
5. Harris
6. Randle

Seem fair?
Go Knicks!
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#67 » by Vae Victus » Fri May 17, 2019 7:03 pm

TheNewEra wrote:Can’t see the clippers paying Randle to do similar to Harrell does for way more money even with a bump in shooting

Actually i disagree. I can totally see the Clippers trying to offer a Lou Will level of contract to Randle (3yr 24-27m) with the full intent to cash out on Harrell who's expiring. Right now Harrell's stock is as high as it'll ever be and would be the definition of selling high, maybe getting a #15-20 range pick. Randle will provide about 80% impact of what Harrell would provide and next year he can be bundled as part of a package (as salary filler mainly) to trade for a disgruntled star! :D

Also to people who keep saying Randle is a fit for BRK. NO HE IS NOT!!! BRK is all about space and pace, where their bigs better be able to shoot or be elite at rim protection/rim running. Randle fits none of those criteria and is an undersized 4 already. The Nets trot out the likes of Dudley and Carroll cuz they want shooting out of the 4 spot. RHJ who's basically a lesser version of Randle basically fell out of the rotation due to his inability to outside.

Randle will fare no better than RHJ and he's a TERRIBLE fit for BRK. The type of 4s that BRK would for are Gallo, Mirotic, JaMychal Green types. Guys who can at least credibly stretch the floor to let their wings slash and bigs to rim run.

Randle wants the whole paint to himself where he can blackhole to his hearts content. At least on the Clippers, Doc is the type of coach that doesnt mind having those types off the bench (look at the rampant chucking he allowed to Crawful, Kid RIvers, and now Lou WIll), but NEVER in his starting lineup.
SlowPaced
RealGM
And1: 17,487

Post#68 » by SlowPaced » Fri May 17, 2019 7:06 pm

Zion is pretty much a better Julius Randle, so he probably gets traded. Or maybe he keeps coming off the bench and leaves at the end of the year. No chance of a future with the Pels, clearly.
alessandrux
Starter
And1: 2,239

Post#69 » by alessandrux » Fri May 17, 2019 7:18 pm

Scalabrine wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:Dallas will pursue him. He’s from here and we have a glaring hole at PF

They are gonna have 25-30 mil in capspace this summer and they could possibly create more if they renounce Finney Smith, Kleber, Jackson OR if KP plays on the QO and doesn't sign an extension. I feel like realistically they should be looking at their target list as:

1. Walker
2. Vucevic
3. Middleton
4. Brogdon
5. Harris
6. Randle

Seem fair?

I agree both that Randle would be a good fit with Porzingis (in my opinion the best possible fit after Davis for Randle) and especially that Dallas should aim higher than Randle in this free agency.

But I disagree with your list, Dallas, more specific Carlisle, doesn't need a 'true' point guard, espcially with Doncic on the team. That means that, in my opinion, Dallas should not prioritize trying to sign Walker (sure, they should sign him, if they can not sign someone better (fitting!)).
Vucevic has shown, to me, that he is not someone I would be willing to pay (near) max money.

My first target as Dallas would probably be Jimmy Butler (or Brogdon).

My Dallas list looks like this:
(0. Leonard or Durant)
1. Butler
2. Brogdon
3. Middleton
4. Harris
5. Gasol
(6.+ Ross, Lamb, Ariza, Randle,...)
Tor_Raps
RealGM
And1: 37,049

Post#70 » by Tor_Raps » Fri May 17, 2019 7:21 pm

marcush wrote:PFs who can’t stretch the floor or play good D are problematic for me. As a starter anyway.....energy guy off the bench....sure.

But if he's playing with a Center who can stretch the floor, he is ideal. He would do great beside a player like Gasol/Lopez/Horford/Jokic because as much as people don't want you to believe, you still need a tough banger down low. Randle is near the top of that very short list.
Teen Girl Squad
Head Coach
And1: 2,992

Post#71 » by Teen Girl Squad » Fri May 17, 2019 7:29 pm

Randle coming into the league was described as a bull in china store and has lived up to that rep in the league. He's strong and has good energy/work ethic. He's just got poor basketball IQ and that is unlikely to change this deep into his career. Post defense is much more important than post offense when it comes winning games and Randle is just flat out bad at it, like a PF version of Kanter. He's a good sixth man type player though.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,815

Post#72 » by dirkforpres » Fri May 17, 2019 8:00 pm

Scalabrine wrote:

1. Walker
2. Vucevic
3. Middleton
4. Brogdon
5. Harris
6. Randle

Seem fair?

It doesn’t appear that Vucevic is really on their radar much or at all, but the rest of the list seems accurate.
FIRE JASON KIDD
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,322

Post#73 » by Scalabrine » Fri May 17, 2019 8:01 pm

alessandrux wrote:
Scalabrine wrote:

1. Walker
2. Vucevic
3. Middleton
4. Brogdon
5. Harris
6. Randle

Seem fair?

I agree both that Randle would be a good fit with Porzingis (in my opinion the best possible fit after Davis for Randle) and especially that Dallas should aim higher than Randle in this free agency.

But I disagree with your list, Dallas, more specific Carlisle, doesn't need a 'true' point guard, espcially with Doncic on the team. That means that, in my opinion, Dallas should not prioritize trying to sign Walker (sure, they should sign him, if they can not sign someone better (fitting!)).
Vucevic has shown, to me, that he is not someone I would be willing to pay (near) max money.

My first target as Dallas would probably be Jimmy Butler (or Brogdon).

My Dallas list looks like this:
(0. Leonard or Durant)
1. Butler
2. Brogdon
3. Middleton
4. Harris
5. Gasol
(6.+ Ross, Lamb, Ariza, Randle,...)

I can't see Butler leaving Philly and what they have going for Dallas. The only way he leaves Philly is if its to a team that will be better then Philly. Too many questions marks in Dallas right now. I also can't imagine that Gasol would opt out of his deal unless a team gives him a deal in the ballpark of 2/50 or greater. Mavs have an opportunity to have a big window here, and if they sign Gasol to anything like I said, once he's expired, they won't have the capspace to replace him because KP and Doncic will both be on extended deals.

also...Randle is definitely in a tier above Ross, Lamb, Ariza. Don't sell him short.
Go Knicks!
Firespo
Junior
And1: 533

Post#74 » by Firespo » Sat May 18, 2019 1:41 pm

Trade julius Randle for Hassan whiteside and another player. Whiteside would be a good fit next to Zion.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#75 » by GimmeDat » Sat May 18, 2019 1:56 pm

A lot of people, on the first page at least, talking about him as a PF. I get the reach/defense limitations but he's a modern C through and through.
Fo-Real
General Manager
And1: 4,911

Post#76 » by Fo-Real » Sat May 18, 2019 2:44 pm

I like his offense, but Julius and Deandre defensive front court would make me find a high building to dive off of.
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#77 » by HurricaneKid » Sat May 18, 2019 3:08 pm

Can't protect the rim and can't shoot = bench player.

Waaaay too many PPGz posts in this thread.

Show me a worse defender playing in the quarterfinals.

Sent from my VS995 using RealGM mobile app
fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
evilpimp972
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,760

Post#78 » by evilpimp972 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:12 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:Can't protect the rim and can't shoot = bench player.

Curry / Lilliard / Kanter ?

PPG is actually important if you are much more valuable than Randle.

But please, stop making false statements like your last one. As if no bad defender even won a championship, that's nonsense.
Tinseltown wrote:
True Story wrote:KD is the best player in the NBA.

Kevin Durant is a better scorer than Jordan

MJ was never this efficient
HurricaneKid
General Manager
And1: 5,034

Post#79 » by HurricaneKid » Sat May 18, 2019 3:17 pm

evilpimp972 wrote:

But please, stop making false statements like your last one. As if no bad defender even won a championship, that's nonsense.
Curry? GTFO.

Kanter only played 14 min in G2 and was a FA a short while ago. And he was still demonstrably better this year.

Not many bigs he could play beside. BroLo maybe.

Destroys defensive integrity. Destroys spacing. Blew up as the team folded for the season. That was no accident. And he was on my fantasy team this year. Closer to Greg Monroe than anything productive.

fishnc wrote:If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and LeBron, I would shoot LeBron twice.
evilpimp972
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,760

Post#80 » by evilpimp972 » Sat May 18, 2019 3:22 pm

HurricaneKid wrote:
evilpimp972 wrote:

Curry? GTFO.

Kanter only played 14 min in G2 and was a FA a short while ago. And he was still demonstrably better this year.

Not many bigs he could play beside. BroLo maybe.

Destroys defensive integrity. Destroys spacing. Blew up as the team folded for the season. That was no accident. And he was on my fantasy team this year. Closer to Greg Monroe than anything productive.

Lilliard. Curry is constantly targeted. And this is the last time you tell me to GTFO without providing any facts, or you'll regret it. I do not handle insult very well.
Tinseltown wrote:
True Story wrote:KD is the best player in the NBA.

Kevin Durant is a better scorer than Jordan

MJ was never this efficient

Return to The General Board