Zion/Mitchell/RJ - Would you build around that?

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

igorbianch
Analyst
And1: 4,321

Re: Zion/Mitchell/RJ - Would you build around that? 

Post#21 » by igorbianch » Fri May 17, 2019 7:04 pm

Context wrote:Im not trading Mitch...especially because we dont have to...The best laker package is #4, and Kuz and if Boston wants to give them all
their assets for a 1 year AD- on a team without kyrie- go ahead- that works out for the Knicks...I said this at the deadline NO missed they're opportunity when they could have gotten everything from the lakers- they wont get that type of value after the season...

Lmao. Theres 0% chance you get AD without throwing Mitchell in the package.
:lol:
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,309

Post#22 » by coldfish » Fri May 17, 2019 7:06 pm

I would build around Zion / AD. Mitchell and the future bust that is RJ doesn't come close to that.
Context
RealGM
And1: 12,373

Post#23 » by Context » Fri May 17, 2019 7:06 pm

igorbianch wrote:
Context wrote:Im not trading Mitch...especially because we dont have to...The best laker package is #4, and Kuz and if Boston wants to give them all
their assets for a 1 year AD- on a team without kyrie- go ahead- that works out for the Knicks...I said this at the deadline NO missed they're opportunity when they could have gotten everything from the lakers- they wont get that type of value after the season...

IF you're right- I could careless...You happen to be talking to a knick fan who doesnt even want him...Shinny toys dont get me excited...However, the fact remains that AD holds leverage and he can help the knicks if they want AD...You're just salty...
LaMelo/Green
Barnes/Jaden
Herbert/Kyle
Jackson/Portis
Lopez/Duren
Context
RealGM

Post#24 » by Context » Fri May 17, 2019 7:08 pm

coldfish wrote:I would build around Zion / AD. Mitchell and the future bust that is RJ doesn't come close to that.

You cant build around (AD) a player who doesnt want to be there...
LaMelo/Green
Barnes/Jaden
Herbert/Kyle
Jackson/Portis
Lopez/Duren
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#25 » by Scalabrine » Fri May 17, 2019 7:09 pm

The-Power wrote:
igorbianch wrote:
The-Power wrote:You bet it is. At least in terms of talent. In terms of fit, Barrett would not be my favorite choice with them.

Shooting is a problem.

You also still need a PG that can create and shoot well, i.e. a primary creator and a shooter simply because that is needed with that trio. Such a PG is unlikely to be a low-usage player. With the way Barrett has been playing thus far in his career, that could easily lead to Zion being groomed as the third option when he should at least become the second option (and perhaps first down the road, we will see about that). With Zion and Mitchell, I'd want a high-level PnR Guard and fill the rest of the starting 5 with good shooters.

What the hell is Jrue Holiday?
Go Knicks!
igorbianch
Analyst

Post#26 » by igorbianch » Fri May 17, 2019 7:09 pm

Context wrote:
igorbianch wrote:

IF you're right- I could careless...You happen to be talking to a knick fan who doesnt even want him...Shinny toys dont get me excited...However, the fact remains that AD holds leverage and he can help the knicks if they want AD...You're just salty...

Being realistic is very different than being salty.
The-Power
General Manager
And1: 9,096

Post#27 » by The-Power » Fri May 17, 2019 7:13 pm

MoneyTalks41890 wrote:
igorbianch wrote:
The-Power wrote:You bet it is. At least in terms of talent. In terms of fit, Barrett would not be my favorite choice with them.

Shooting is a problem.

Trade Jrue for a lotto pick and draft Garland. That would be a core worth watching.

Keep Jrue, draft Garland to develop next to him and find a 3&D player at the wing. I'd take Holiday's mentorship and quality over another lottery pick. You need veteran pillars on your team and it's extremely valuable if you have a player that can be the on-court leader as well for the first years. I don't like trotting out starting line-ups with five Rookies or Sophomores – that's not a great strategy for player and team-culture development.
BlazersBroncos
RealGM
And1: 7,903

Post#28 » by BlazersBroncos » Fri May 17, 2019 7:13 pm

Ya, Mitchell is 100% going to be part of any AD deal. He is miles and miles NYK's best prospect. And AD is worth far more than #3 in this not-top-heavy draft.

I don't love the RJ and Zion fit either, but the talent is too much to pass up. You pair them, and hope they grow together.
Context
RealGM

Post#29 » by Context » Fri May 17, 2019 7:16 pm

igorbianch wrote:
Context wrote:
igorbianch wrote:

Realistic? We have what Boston doesn't have- a team that AD wants to sign an extension with.. You want to talk "realism" I find it hard to believe that Ainge will give all of his assets away after losing Irving and not getting an extension from AD. Therefore, based on that
we are ahead. The lakers only have Kuzman and the 4 pick- we have tons more assets that do not include Mitch...Thats "reality" for you :-)
LaMelo/Green
Barnes/Jaden
Herbert/Kyle
Jackson/Portis
Lopez/Duren
igorbianch
Analyst

Post#30 » by igorbianch » Fri May 17, 2019 7:18 pm

Context wrote:
igorbianch wrote:
Context wrote:IF you're right- I could careless...You happen to be talking to a knick fan who doesnt even want him...Shinny toys dont get me excited...However, the fact remains that AD holds leverage and he can help the knicks if they want AD...You're just salty...

Realistic? We have what Boston doesn't have- a team that AD wants to sign an extension with.. You want to talk "realism" I find it hard to believe that Ainge will give all of his assets away after losing Irving and not getting an extension from AD. Therefore, based on that
we are ahead. The lakers only have Kuzman and the 4 pick- we have tons more assets that do not include Mitch...Thats "reality" for you :-)

Ingram/#4/Lonzo/Kuzma is way better than Knox/Dennis Smith/Frank/#3.
Context
RealGM

Post#31 » by Context » Fri May 17, 2019 7:18 pm

BlazersBroncos wrote:Ya, Mitchell is 100% going to be part of any AD deal. He is miles and miles NYK's best prospect. And AD is worth far more than #3 in this not-top-heavy draft.

I don't love the RJ and Zion fit either, but the talent is too much to pass up. You pair them, and hope they grow together.

that would be true if "leverage" didnt exist...but it does...and finally the Knick have it and all of a sudden bias fans forgot how
to assess the obvious...
LaMelo/Green
Barnes/Jaden
Herbert/Kyle
Jackson/Portis
Lopez/Duren
Context
RealGM

Post#32 » by Context » Fri May 17, 2019 7:19 pm

igorbianch wrote:
Context wrote:
igorbianch wrote:

Ingram/#4/Lonzo/Kuzma is way better than Knox/Dennis Smith/Frank/#3.

Ingram has a health concern and Lonzo is always injured...NEXT...and i love how you conveniently left out our draft picks :lol:
LaMelo/Green
Barnes/Jaden
Herbert/Kyle
Jackson/Portis
Lopez/Duren
Ecmic
Pro Prospect
And1: 804

Post#33 » by Ecmic » Fri May 17, 2019 7:20 pm

One thing New Orleans SHOULDN’T do if they end up with the third or fourth pick is draft for fit. Take the best player available, whoever that is. If that’s also the best fit, great.
CoreyVillains
Head Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#34 » by CoreyVillains » Fri May 17, 2019 7:28 pm

I think it’d be a great start. I wrote about why the Pelicans are the best landing spot for Zion on my site and a potential Knicks trade was a big reason why.

https://www.hardwoodherald.com/blog/zionpelicans

As far as the basketball situation goes, the Pels having landed the right to select Zion, are now in a better position than any team in the league as long term future goes. The Pelicans just hired David Griffin, who was the executive who was able to put a championship team around Lebron in Cleveland. He knows how to grow a positive relationship with a superstar and he understands the weight of having a superstar on your roster. Griffin will have to figure out the Anthony Davis situation, but it’s kind of a no lose decision for him. He’ll either trade AD for a huge haul in the off season or keep Davis until the deadline in hopes of convincing him that he should stay together long term with Zion. If Griffin fulfills Davis’ trade request to go play in New York; Griffin will have the opportunity to reunite Zion with his college roommate and best friend in RJ Barrett whilst picking up young pieces like Kevin Knox, Mitchell Robinson, and future picks along with him. He can then look to move Jrue Holiday for even more assets to add to the treasure trove. And as long as no long term money is picked up along the way, the Pels will be on the books for like $30 million in the 2021 off season with a stacked free agent class. So the Pels will have the league’s best young assets to go along with a bajillion dollars in cap space. If Griffin convinces AD to stay in New Orleans, he keeps Holiday, gets to create the leagues most exciting front court, and then use the Pelicans’ cap space to sign veterans who compliment their stars and will help push them into the title picture. Personally I’d like to see him start from scratch and build the team with a clean slate. I want the Marvel Cinematic Universe version of the rebuild, not the rushed DC version.
Fat
RealGM
And1: 23,751

Post#35 » by Fat » Fri May 17, 2019 7:32 pm

yes yes i would then id sign some snipers
Miami Heat Baf

Markelle Fultz
Donovan Mitchell
Gary Trent Jr
Al Horford
Steven Adams
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,309

Post#36 » by coldfish » Fri May 17, 2019 7:41 pm

Context wrote:
coldfish wrote:I would build around Zion / AD. Mitchell and the future bust that is RJ doesn't come close to that.

He hasn't played next to Zion yet. He'll change his mind. Pels clear space for a max deal and they got Jrue / Butler or someone / Zion / AD. That's better than what he could have in NY.
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#37 » by Scalabrine » Fri May 17, 2019 7:55 pm

igorbianch wrote:

As much as I don't want to move Mitchell, you're almost definitely right. He'd be a great fit next to Zion too.

Moving away all of our young players brings me back to memories of the Melo trade and theres a huge part of me that just wants to finally do things the right way and just build a team correctly by drafting, developing, and making smart signings. Aside from the Heatles, it's what every championship caliber team has done, so unless we could pair Irving, KD AND Davis together (comparable to Wade, James, Bosh imo) then lets just do things right and try to make our big moves in FA when we get chances.
Go Knicks!
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,572

Post#38 » by DreamTeam09 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:00 pm

Context wrote:
BlazersBroncos wrote:Ya, Mitchell is 100% going to be part of any AD deal. He is miles and miles NYK's best prospect. And AD is worth far more than #3 in this not-top-heavy draft.

that would be true if "leverage" didnt exist...but it does...and finally the Knick have it and all of a sudden bias fans forgot how
to assess the obvious...

How on earth do the knicks have leverage if AD is not a FA / Pelicans can trade him anywhere, to any of the other suitors. Then NY would have to wait a year and hope n rely on FA

Again, the lakers had "leverage" when AD said he wanted to go there and look how that turned out.

In Raptor Ball I Trust
Context
RealGM

Post#39 » by Context » Fri May 17, 2019 8:14 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
Context wrote:

to assess the obvious...

How on earth do the knicks have leverage if AD is not a FA / Pelicans can trade him anywhere, to any of the other suitors. Then NY would have to wait a year and hope n rely on FA

Again, the lakers had "leverage" when AD said he wanted to go there and look how that turned out.

read the million posts that explain..AD wants out. NO got a fresh start- they will not start the season off with a salty AD. His dad already made it clear that he will not sign long term with Boston. The lakers best package is Kuz and the #4- Ball is always injured
and Ingram has a health issue --That leaves the knicks who hes willing to sign long term and who have more assets than LA.
This aint that hard this time...
LaMelo/Green
Barnes/Jaden
Herbert/Kyle
Jackson/Portis
Lopez/Duren
Context
RealGM

Post#40 » by Context » Fri May 17, 2019 8:15 pm

coldfish wrote:
Context wrote:

He hasn't played next to Zion yet. He'll change his mind. Pels clear space for a max deal and they got Jrue / Butler or someone / Zion / AD. That's better than what he could have in NY.

at this point i know youre trolling lol...AD's agent (immediately after they won the draft) made it clear- he still wants out...So just
stop- pls...
LaMelo/Green
Barnes/Jaden
Herbert/Kyle
Jackson/Portis
Lopez/Duren

Return to The General Board