Klay Thompson and Reggie Miller

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

abark
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,416

Re: Klay Thompson and Reggie Miller 

Post#41 » by abark » Thu May 23, 2019 7:24 am

Outside of Steph, Reggie is the only guard in the top 10 all time in TS%. And multiple players above him were not high volume scorers (like Deandre Jordan, Tyson Chandler, Cedric Maxwell, Dave Twardzik, and James Donaldson). So in reality, he is the fifth most efficient volume scorer ever. And he was actually third when he retired.

If you want to compare his TS% to current players, you must factor in how different the NBA is today. During Reggie's career, the leage average TS% was anywhere between 51% and 54%. The last three years that number has been above 55%. It's no coincidence that 5 of the top 11 guys are active players.

I know there will always be a group of people that resist statistical analysis, and will be enamored will high box score stats. But an NBA game is made up of roughly 100 possessions per team. How efficient you are with those possessions is as important as anything. High volume scoring isn't impressive on low efficiency. High volume assist totals aren't impressive with high turnovers. But volume always seems to get overrated.

Before I understood this, I remember looking at Reggie's numbers as a kid and not getting what the big deal was. Now I get it.
LakersLegacy
Head Coach
And1: 3,869

Post#42 » by LakersLegacy » Thu May 23, 2019 7:36 am

I think Reggie is overrated. I would take Klay because of his defense.

They have such different roles. It’s hard to compare. I think Klay is smart to keep his role as the other splash brother.

The real NBA Finals was the Lakers v Blazers series.

Heck even Kobe missed a game after Jalen intentionally injured him. And a hurt young Kobe beat the Pacers after Shaq fouled out. That was the era before LeBron/after MJ when the East was its weakest.
zimpy27
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 36,967

Post#43 » by zimpy27 » Thu May 23, 2019 8:12 am

Reggie's strength is Klay's weakness..

The playoffs.
"Let's play some basketball!" - Fergie
Side beard
Analyst
And1: 2,298

Post#44 » by Side beard » Thu May 23, 2019 8:26 am

Klay is a champion, Rieggie is not.

And I will start drinking a shot for every "TS%" I see in this thread.
1bigfan13
Pro Prospect
And1: 817

Post#45 » by 1bigfan13 » Thu May 23, 2019 8:36 am

For me all the analytics aren't as important. I think when it's all said and done what will determine whether or not Klay eclipses Reggie Miller in Top 50 of all-time type lists is who performed better on the big stage.

Right now I would say Reggie has the advantage in that regard because he has a number of memorable performances in the playoffs and in big games.

Klay has had a few of those moments as well, like the 2016 WCF Game 6 vs OKC, but since he's usually relegated to being the 3rd scoring option, he hasn't had as many opportunities as Reggie did to put memorable imprints on a game.

Plus he'll probably get demoted in the eyes of many since he had two top 5 players doing most of the heavy lifting for Golden State. To overcome that he'll probably have to create a few more memorable postseason moments that will last in people's memories. Otherwise I think Miller will always get the nod ahead of him; especially when you consider that Miller never really had a ton of offensive talent playing along side of him.
abark
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,416

Post#46 » by abark » Thu May 23, 2019 10:14 am

Side beard wrote:Klay is a champion, Rieggie is not.

And I will start drinking a shot for every "TS%" I see in this thread.

If one player had an all time great FG% and the other simply had a very good one, would you be so dismissive?

I hope u dont read my previous post because you'll get alcohol poisoning. But sorry, TS% is the best way to measure scoring efficiency. Steph Curry's sky high TS% is what makes him such a deadly scorer even though his FG% is relatively mediocre. There's a few guys that can score 27 ppg, but none can do it like him.

You can accept that stats like EFG% and TS% are vital to basketball discussions, or you can settle for a lazy analysis like "more championships=better"
justme400e
Junior
And1: 116

Post#47 » by justme400e » Thu May 23, 2019 11:47 am

The difference between Reggie and Klay is their job descriptions. Miller was the focus of the offense and his defensive responsibilities were a distant second. Thompson's primary job is to shut down the other teams best guard and to contribute offensively when he can, being the third or fourth option depending on who's on the floor, or when KD and Steph are both on the bench. One reason he seems to disappear in the playoffs is that his defensive assignments get more difficult because the players get better and game planning goes into full effect. Offenses are able to work on the finer points of moving screens, jersey grabbing and generally slowing down defenders as much as possible. Two way players like Klay don't usually get the notoriety they deserve but they are as essential to the Warriors success as any other player on the floor. Just my two cents.
Braggins
RealGM
And1: 8,146

Post#48 » by Braggins » Thu May 23, 2019 11:54 am

lmao at people saying Klay is better because he has rings... Every single finals appearance and championship Klay participated in was as the 3rd or 4th best player on his team...
Gooner
Head Coach
And1: 5,414

Post#49 » by Gooner » Thu May 23, 2019 12:08 pm

Braggins wrote:lmao at people saying Klay is better because he has rings... Every single finals appearance and championship Klay participated in was as the 3rd or 4th best player on his team...

He was the second best player in 2015, and on that 73 win team. Draymond is a great glue guy, but doesn't score enough to be a second best player. Without Klay's scoring that team wouldn't be nearly the same.
IMF
Junior
And1: 721

Post#50 » by IMF » Thu May 23, 2019 1:03 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:I never saw Reggie as on fire as 37 point quarter Klay was. Klay comes and goes, hot, cold and missing. Klay came up big when needed sometimes like when the Thunder were about to eliminate the Warriors. Klay's defense is better than Reggie's.

Reggie was the Pacers 1st option for year after year. I am not sure whether Klay could be a good first option. Reggie was a competitor and maybe he deserves some credit for the competitive spirit of his team. Reggie was clutch.

Reggie scored 25 in the 4th quarter against the Knicks in a conference final game, where he lead his team back from down 12 to start the quarter to eventually win the game. This was the game where he did the choke sign to Spike Lee.

37 is more than 25, but it was in the middle of a no stakes regular season game against Sacramento. Klay got hot for a quarter, Reggie single handedly took over and won a conference finals game. 25 in a quarter is pretty impressive when you add the playoff context.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#51 » by The_Hater » Thu May 23, 2019 1:07 pm

zimpy27 wrote:Reggie's strength is Klay's weakness..

The playoffs.

Yet Klay has 3 rings and Reggie zero....

I have no idea when people think Klay is a poor playoff performer, has numbers and all that winning don’t back it up.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
IMF
Junior

Post#52 » by IMF » Thu May 23, 2019 1:13 pm

It's too bad this is an old upload and garbage quality, but it's worth watching to see Reggie continuously taunt Spike Lee while he single handedly steals this game from the Knicks in MSG.

NeoWarriors
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,321

Post#53 » by NeoWarriors » Thu May 23, 2019 1:24 pm

Apparently missed Klay's game 6 against Oklahoma City in the Western Conference Finals that saved the Warriors from elimination. Scored 41 points including an NBA playoff record 11 3-pointers to lead the Warriors back from a 11 Point deficit early in the 4th. All while holding Russell Westbrook to 10-27 shooting. People's memory of Reggie is all nostalgic because of that one Knicks game. Reggie is barely top 75.
IMF wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:I never saw Reggie as on fire as 37 point quarter Klay was. Klay comes and goes, hot, cold and missing. Klay came up big when needed sometimes like when the Thunder were about to eliminate the Warriors. Klay's defense is better than Reggie's.

Reggie was the Pacers 1st option for year after year. I am not sure whether Klay could be a good first option. Reggie was a competitor and maybe he deserves some credit for the competitive spirit of his team. Reggie was clutch.

Reggie scored 25 in the 4th quarter against the Knicks in a conference final game, where he lead his team back from down 12 to start the quarter to eventually win the game. This was the game where he did the choke sign to Spike Lee.

37 is more than 25, but it was in the middle of a no stakes regular season game against Sacramento. Klay got hot for a quarter, Reggie single handedly took over and won a conference finals game. 25 in a quarter is pretty impressive when you add the playoff context.

Sent from my Golden State Warriors Protoast Elite toaster using RealGM mobile app
Braggins
RealGM

Post#54 » by Braggins » Thu May 23, 2019 1:40 pm

NeoWarriors wrote:Apparently missed Klay's game 6 against Oklahoma City in the Western Conference Finals that saved the Warriors from elimination. Scored 41 points including an NBA playoff record 11 3-pointers to lead the Warriors back from a 11 Point deficit early in the 4th. All while holding Russell Westbrook to 10-27 shooting. People's memory of Reggie is all nostalgic because of that one Knicks game. Reggie is barely top 75.
Spoiler:
IMF wrote:

Sent from my Golden State Warriors Protoast Elite toaster using RealGM mobile app

Why not compare their entire playoff careers instead of single games?

Reggie - 20.6 ppg/60.1 TS%/+4.3 BPM/.180 WS per 48
Klay - 19.0 ppg/55.3 TS%/+0.7 BPM/.088 WS per 48

Pretty obvious advantage for Reggie and thats with his last three playoff runs at age 37-39 where he averaged 11.7 ppg over 35 games dragging him down.

Edit: Their playoff points per 100 possession for their careers are 30.5 pp100 for Reggie and 25.4 for Klay.
IMF
Junior

Post#55 » by IMF » Thu May 23, 2019 1:44 pm

Braggins wrote:
NeoWarriors wrote:Apparently missed Klay's game 6 against Oklahoma City in the Western Conference Finals that saved the Warriors from elimination. Scored 41 points including an NBA playoff record 11 3-pointers to lead the Warriors back from a 11 Point deficit early in the 4th. All while holding Russell Westbrook to 10-27 shooting. People's memory of Reggie is all nostalgic because of that one Knicks game. Reggie is barely top 75.
Spoiler:
IMF wrote:

Why not compare their entire playoff careers instead of single games?

Reggie - 20.6 ppg/60.1 TS%/+4.3 BPM/.180 WS per 48
Klay - 19.0 ppg/55.3 TS%/+0.7 BPM/.088 WS per 48

Pretty obvious advantage for Reggie and thats with his last three playoff runs at age 37-39 where he averaged 11.7 ppg over 35 games dragging him down.

He also had that better efficiency while being the clear cut #1 option and defensive focus of the other squad. The #2 option for most of those 90s Pacer teams was freaking Rik Smits.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,794

Post#56 » by michaelm » Thu May 23, 2019 1:45 pm

IMF wrote:

If the upcoming finals come to a game 6 the ECF winners are toast against game 6 Klay.
Dino353
Sixth Man
And1: 1,246

Post#57 » by Dino353 » Thu May 23, 2019 1:49 pm

Reggie all day, Reggie's iso game was serious. Post-ups, face-ups, turn around jumpshots, off the ball movement was serious and his catch and shoot game was just as good. I like Klay but he is not no Reggie.
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,143

Post#58 » by cpower » Thu May 23, 2019 3:10 pm

Gooner wrote:
Braggins wrote:lmao at people saying Klay is better because he has rings... Every single finals appearance and championship Klay participated in was as the 3rd or 4th best player on his team...

He was the second best player in 2015, and on that 73 win team. Draymond is a great glue guy, but doesn't score enough to be a second best player. Without Klay's scoring that team wouldn't be nearly the same.

he was the 4th best player and got outplayed by Iggy by most of the playoffs.
Arteezy
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,424

Post#59 » by Arteezy » Thu May 23, 2019 3:23 pm

Actually Reggie carried a team close to beat MJ than anyone else.Everyone talks about the Jazz, but the Pacers 97 and 98 and like the Rockets last 2 years.
Braggins
RealGM

Post#60 » by Braggins » Thu May 23, 2019 4:04 pm

Prime Reggie would be the third best SG in the league right now behind Harden and PG3, assuming you consider them both SGs, otherwise you could argue hed be 1st/2nd (the SG position is pretty weak right now, to be fair).

You could argue Butler is close because of his defensive impact and Mitchell is really young and has the potential for a higher ceiling than Reggie.

Return to The General Board