Kemba eligible for the supermax (5 yr, $221M)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

OptionZero
Starter
And1: 1,828

Kemba eligible for the supermax (5 yr, $221M) 

Post#1 » by OptionZero » Thu May 23, 2019 6:28 pm

We're about to find out just how stupid the Hornets are.

By making an All-NBA team, Kemba is eligible for a "supermax" that starts at 35% of the cap. He would otherwise have to wait until he racked up 10 years of experience before qualifying for that level of max. Total value over 5 years will be approximately $221M - or over $40M a year

Kemba is 29. CHA has never won 50 games, even in the east. They didn't even make the playoffs in the east.

You have to be extra special to thinks it's a good idea to offer that to him.

To put it simply:
CHA couldn't build a contender (in the east!) when Kemba was making $12M (his last contract).
Who the **** thinks they're gonna be able to do better when he's making triple and turning 30?
No one.

Which again, AGAIN, is why they should have traded him two years ago, but ownership decided they "couldn't" tank. Oh noes, instead of winning 39 we'll only win 20!

Ownership remains the biggest competitive advantage in the NBA. And the Hornets do not have good ownership.
BramptonYute
Head Coach
And1: 8,677

Re: Kemba eligible for the supermax (5 yr, $221M) 

Post#2 » by BramptonYute » Thu May 23, 2019 6:31 pm

If im Kemba, Im telling the Hornets I want the supermax or im gone. And if im the Hornets, I let him go.
LeonGenesis
Sixth Man
And1: 344

Post#3 » by LeonGenesis » Thu May 23, 2019 6:32 pm

Who is he again?
Liver_Pooty
RealGM
And1: 15,053

Post#4 » by Liver_Pooty » Thu May 23, 2019 6:32 pm

OptionZero wrote:We're about to find out just how stupid the Hornets are.

By making an All-NBA team, Kemba is eligible for a "supermax" that starts at 35% of the cap. He would otherwise have to wait until he racked up 10 years of experience before qualifying for that level of max. Total value over 5 years will be approximately $221M - or over $40M a year

Kemba is 29. CHA has never won 50 games, even in the east. They didn't even make the playoffs in the east.

You have to be extra special to thinks it's a good idea to offer that to him.

To put it simply:
CHA couldn't build a contender (in the east!) when Kemba was making $12M (his last contract).
Who the **** thinks they're gonna be able to do better when he's making triple and turning 30?
No one.

Which again, AGAIN, is why they should have traded him two years ago, but ownership decided they "couldn't" tank. Oh noes, instead of winning 39 we'll only win 20!

Ownership remains the biggest competitive advantage in the NBA. And the Hornets do not have good ownership.

If you still don't have any idea how stupid the Hornets are then I am not sure what to tell you.
Balllin wrote:Zion Williamson is 6-5, with a 6-10 wingspan. I see him as a slightly better Kenneth Faried.
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#5 » by Illmatic12 » Thu May 23, 2019 6:34 pm

I’m gonna play Devil’s advocate and say they should give to to him. The Hornets owe it to him for squandering his career.

Kemba had the best contract in the NBA these past few years and they couldn’t put a team around him. At least pay him back for his troubles

Plus Walker is important to the Charlotte community/franchise and from everything I’ve heard he wants to stay there. Correct me if I’m wrong but Kemba never said he’s interested in a big market or ring chasing on Lebron/KDs coattails.. so idk why people assume he wouldn’t want to stay
canadiansporter
Rookie
And1: 873

Post#6 » by canadiansporter » Thu May 23, 2019 6:36 pm

It's not that you can't build a team around Kemba, it's that the Hornets can't.

So what makes you think letting Kemba go and getting another star will change something? I put blame on the Hornets not Kemba
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,554

Post#7 » by lonzo_pelota » Thu May 23, 2019 6:36 pm

i dont think they offer him the supermax, wasnt he dangled as tradebait the last couple years but they didnt pull the trigger
something tells me he's headed to greener pastures where the supermax isnt available
TheGOATWill
Analyst
And1: 3,810

Post#8 » by TheGOATWill » Thu May 23, 2019 6:37 pm

When is Charlotte ever gonna attract a free agent. Close your eyes, hold your nose and take a big bite of that super max sandwich MJ.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,594

Post#9 » by dc » Thu May 23, 2019 6:38 pm

Kemba making it over Klay just saved the Warriors and Joe Lacob a ton of money, LOL.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
woosah
RealGM
And1: 5,275

Post#10 » by woosah » Thu May 23, 2019 6:39 pm

I don't think Jordan would pay it. He is stuck with Batum's money and that's too much to pay for a lotto team. He will cut his losses now i would think.
Woj is the new Bucher. Shams is the new Woj. Espn is the new TMZ. The NBA is the new WWE.
Boo.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,278

Post#11 » by PhilBlackson » Thu May 23, 2019 6:42 pm

No offense to CHA fans but there is really no other reason for him to stick around other than money and I don't think it would be a good decision for either party.

Kemba needs to go somewhere he can atleast play some competitive basketball and hopefully show off his talents in the Playoffs (finally) and CHA just needs an overhaul themselves from management to roster. Enough of the treadmill and arguably isn't even at that level. They been stuck in this crappy Basketball Purgatory for too long. Just let go of it already and allow your franchise the opportunity to draft well and build a proper foundation. It's not like you're packing your arena by holding onto Kemba anyways and paying him an astronomical amount would only limit your ceiling while also good luck drawing in FAs or find great trades to help him compete immediately as he needs to.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
NoDopeOnSundays
RealGM
And1: 41,287

Post#12 » by NoDopeOnSundays » Thu May 23, 2019 6:43 pm

If Charlotte gives it to him they should be contracted.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,780

Post#13 » by Johnny Bball » Thu May 23, 2019 6:43 pm

Super-maxing Kemba is a bad move for any team. I don't see that he gets that anywhere.

And hey, he's a great player and all, but that kind of cake is just way to much cap space.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,197

Post#14 » by clyde21 » Thu May 23, 2019 6:43 pm

love Kemba, but sorry, not worth it. that type of money should only be given to franchise cornerstones.

if Kemba couldn't even lead his team into the POs in the East, what are they really paying for? let him walk.
Optms
RealGM
And1: 16,963

Post#15 » by Optms » Thu May 23, 2019 6:44 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:I’m gonna play Devil’s advocate and say they should give to to him. The Hornets owe it to him for squandering his career.

Kemba had the best contract in the NBA these past few years and they couldn’t put a team around him. At least pay him back for his troubles

Plus Walker is important to the Charlotte community/franchise and from everything I’ve heard he wants to stay there. Correct me if I’m wrong but Kemba never said he’s interested in a big market or ring chasing on Lebron/KDs coattails.. so idk why people assume he wouldn’t want to stay

Counter argument:

They don't really owe him a dime. Why? Because he's never delivered anything of note to the franchise. Not a perennial All-star, zero-to-no playoff revenue and certainly not even a box-office draw.

This would not mirror a situation like the Lakers when they rewarded Kobe with his last contract. That was a good business decision even if it wasn't particularly a good basketball one.

Giving Kemba the supermax would be plain dumb all around. 101 in how to destroy the value of your franchise from both a basketball and business perspective.
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,012

Post#16 » by vxmike » Thu May 23, 2019 6:45 pm

canadiansporter wrote:It's not that you can't build a team around Kemba, it's that the Hornets can't.

So what makes you think letting Kemba go and getting another star will change something? I put blame on the Hornets not Kemba

This. Who thought signing Batum to a five year max was a good idea? Or trading for Miles Plumlee on a big long term deal who intimately turned into Biyombo.
DreamTeam09
RealGM
And1: 8,570

Post#17 » by DreamTeam09 » Thu May 23, 2019 6:46 pm

It's okay Kemba, come to Dallas, we'll give you a max starting at 33mill and pair you with Luka + KP

In Raptor Ball I Trust
lvckv
Starter
And1: 2,031

Post#18 » by lvckv » Thu May 23, 2019 6:49 pm

I imagine the Hornets would rather have the crowd draw of an adored franchise player than think about heading to the basement of the east and tanking attendance/interest.
PhilBlackson
RealGM
And1: 42,278

Post#19 » by PhilBlackson » Thu May 23, 2019 6:51 pm

As aside I really thought MIL should have held off on re-signing Bledsoe and pursued Kemba.

He could have been Giannis' "Kyrie" and give him a legit 2nd option that the Bucks would be pretty damn hard to stop. At this point, if I were Kemba, I'd probably favor DAL as that could be a lot of fun being a part of their ascension but I'm sure teams like ORL and CHI will also pursue him too. If I were him I wouldn't really be too hype about joining LeBron or KD....if he's their 2nd piece, they won't be enough and he'll get sh*t on for it. Go be a part of a fun ascension somewhere where the fans will love you for it and you can enjoy your time and money.
>>>SCOTTIEALLSTARSEASON<<< -- U KNOW THE VIBEZ :guitar: Club Shai Shai GA
Taking names of who OG will be better than Shaedon: DelAbbott, ThaCynic, pingpongrac, Los_29, OakleyDokley
Swish1906
Head Coach
And1: 10,625

Post#20 » by Swish1906 » Thu May 23, 2019 6:52 pm

They are paying Batum and Cody Zeller a combined 40m+ for the next two seasons,

They should use this time window, tear it all down and rebuild through a few sucking years

Return to The General Board