Guards better than Klay Thompson

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Effigy
RealGM
And1: 11,942

Re: Guards better than Klay Thompson 

Post#21 » by Effigy » Fri May 24, 2019 12:41 am

lvckv wrote:
Effigy wrote:I’d take him over Kemba. Kemba can’t even make he playoffs in the East. Klay is being punished for having good teammates.

And you are punishing Kemba for having bad teammates... Klay wouldn't do **** with that squad either - he's not a #1 option.

I get why you are saying that, but we don’t actually know that. It’s sort of like how people were saying Steph had declined. But 6 games without KD later, he’s making them look foolish. When someone has great teammates we don’t see as much from them.

All we actually know is Kemba can’t get a team built around him to more wins than Orlando or Detroit. Having more help would be nice, but that’s not murderers row.
Arp590
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,989

Post#22 » by Arp590 » Fri May 24, 2019 1:01 am

Effigy wrote:
Arp590 wrote:
Effigy wrote:I’d take him over Kemba. Kemba can’t even make he playoffs in the East. Klay is being punished for having good teammates.

Well then maybe don't form an ultra super team?
Klay's wallet feeling the effects of Durant. :lol:

To be fair, Klay didn’t. He got drafted and signed that contract before KD signed.

He is not eligible for the super-max now, so he lost out on millions of dollars.
If KD wasn't on the team he would have been showcased a lot more & as a result he probably would have made an All-NBA team.
aemannarwal
Junior
And1: 246

Post#23 » by aemannarwal » Fri May 24, 2019 1:08 am

Why play defense at all? Ppg is all that matters at the end of the day
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,409

Post#24 » by TheNewEra » Fri May 24, 2019 1:11 am

lvckv wrote:

And you are punishing Kemba for having bad teammates... Klay wouldn't do **** with that squad either - he's not a #1 option.

Klay made his name as a second option on a tougher conference. I’m not taking Kemba walker scoring for what Klay can do on both ends of the floor. People talk about his drop off the first half and he still had elite numbers. Had elite numbers before KD this is crazy.

No telling what Klay would of done with the Hornets squad it’s not like breaking even under .500 would be impossible
darkse1d
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,862

Post#25 » by darkse1d » Fri May 24, 2019 1:12 am

Westbrick doesn’t belong in any tier imo . I’d pick Klay over Westbrick any day of the week.
dakomish23
Forum Mod - Knicks
Forum Mod - Knicks
And1: 45,396

Post#26 » by dakomish23 » Fri May 24, 2019 1:32 am

Bump Beal / Kemba to that second tier, move Oladipo up and put Klay in tier 1.

Russ is tier 1.5 if we’re expecting the trend to continue.

Klay makes a ton of plays on the other side that don’t show up in a box score.

I'm so high on Klay that i feel if he was on CHA next to Kemba, they’d win 10+ games and would have had the 4 seed.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Spoiler:
https://forums.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1592147&start=1720#p57345128

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Jimmit79 wrote:Yea RJ played well he was definitely the x factor

#FreeJimmit
Forbes
Analyst
And1: 2,397

Post#27 » by Forbes » Fri May 24, 2019 1:37 am

Klay can’t dribble for too long. He’s an excellent shooter that plays great defense.

As a guard when you can’t dribble or dribble under pressure you are highly limited.

However, he is a tough player to rank because we’ve seen what he’s capable of as a 2 and 3 option which are roles that fit best. It’s like you have to rank him based on what your team is looking for.

If your looking for a number 1 options and your go to scorer, there is a nice list of guards that you will grab before Thompson
Vladimir777
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,121

Post#28 » by Vladimir777 » Fri May 24, 2019 1:44 am

lvckv wrote:

This times one billion. Klay would do much worse if the two of them switched positions.

Kemba>Klay.
pootbrah
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Post#29 » by pootbrah » Fri May 24, 2019 1:44 am

He's right up there tier 1 with any of those players. He has a limited role but honestly he's probably the best defender of anyone on that list + is the greatest catch and shoot shooter ever. Honestly he's borderline a top 10 overall player; just needs a bigger role to show it. I was super impressed by him against the Blazers, threw the clamps down on Lillard. We'd win the championship easily if we had him starting for us at SF :'( I can dream. Turner + Harkless for Klay done
knuckles862
Analyst
And1: 2,572

Post#30 » by knuckles862 » Fri May 24, 2019 1:47 am

More like helped by better teammates I don't think people realize that Klay can't carry an offense unless he is hot and even then people have to create for him somewhat
pootbrah
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Post#31 » by pootbrah » Fri May 24, 2019 1:49 am

knuckles862 wrote:

More like helped by better teammates I don't think people realize that Klay can't carry an offense unless he is hot and even then people have to create for him somewhat

Almost makes him more valuable tbh. Someone that plays as well as him off the ball is more of a rare trait than someone that can create with the ball. Maybe he's not up there with any of these guys 1 on 1 but 5 on 5 he's easily top 5 valuable imo
Shock Defeat
General Manager
And1: 16,961

Post#32 » by Shock Defeat » Fri May 24, 2019 2:00 am

If the award is based on "who you would rather take" then I suppose injured guys should get the nod too, right? I mean sure they were injured most of the year but when healthy they are better than all these players so they deserve 1st team All NBA.

If Klay really wants the shine of being all NBA he needs to go to his own team and prove that he can be an alpha player as a 1st option. Until then he can choose to be 3rd option in GS and win rings. Can't have it both ways.
nfmos
Veteran
And1: 3,540

Post#33 » by nfmos » Fri May 24, 2019 2:01 am

Thats the crappy thing with these sort of rankings and comparisons, they reward the ball dominant players even if their teams arent even that great with them as the best player. I think Klay as a 2nd or 3rd option is more valuable to a team than Kemba or some of these guys as first options. Klay being able to do so much off the ball and on defense makes for a better team than a first option that is ultimately limited. We saw that before with Monta, and even though Monta would score more and be our go to guy, Klay is so much better for team success, even if Steph wasnt our first option. Yes Klay might not be able to carry a team, but that would be a silly use of his skillset anyways.
knuckles862
Analyst
And1: 2,572

Post#34 » by knuckles862 » Fri May 24, 2019 2:05 am

pootbrah wrote:
knuckles862 wrote:

Almost makes him more valuable tbh. Someone that plays as well as him off the ball is more of a rare trait than someone that can create with the ball. Maybe he's not up there with any of these guys 1 on 1 but 5 on 5 he's easily top 5 valuable imo

Which is why I believe Klay is regarded so highly because he is a good fit on any team in the NBA where as the other guards need to have the right situation to be successful.
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#35 » by Pinkyring » Fri May 24, 2019 2:13 am

Replace kemba with klay and charl is worse, no player in the league could drag that team to playoffs
Pipp33
Rookie
And1: 646

Post#36 » by Pipp33 » Fri May 24, 2019 3:02 am

Winsome Gerbil wrote:There is a role issue here -- when people a year or two ago were talking about how would Klay do as a franchise player I nearly gagged -- he is NOT that type of player. But on the other hand, how does Klay do as lethal #2, as opposed to how would a Kemba Walker do as a #2, and it changes the equation considerably.

I think

Curry, Harden, Westbrook, Irving, Fredette, Lillard are clearly more night to night franchise level dominant guards

and btw I think Devin Booker might one day get there

Butler also, if we call him a guard, if he's in the right mood, if he's not tearing down his own team, clearly to me has the far more complete franchise variety of skills.

But after that? nobody has a clear claim. And as much as anything it's what you are looking for. Doesn't mean that Klay is clearly better than a Kemba, a Beal, whoever. But does mean that he can clearly have seasons as strong or stronger than those guys, whereas he may never vis a vis Lillard until Lillard gets old.

Very nice move squeezing Fredette into your list!!! Subtly put in list, waiting for it to be picked up on
Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team
Effigy
RealGM

Post#37 » by Effigy » Fri May 24, 2019 3:02 am

Pinkyring wrote:

Replace kemba with klay and charl is worse, no player in the league could drag that team to playoffs

That team is built around Kemba and they don’t play the same position. Who’s their pg if Klay goes there?
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
And1: 13,086

Post#38 » by Winsome Gerbil » Fri May 24, 2019 3:08 am

Pipp33 wrote:
Winsome Gerbil wrote:There is a role issue here -- when people a year or two ago were talking about how would Klay do as a franchise player I nearly gagged -- he is NOT that type of player. But on the other hand, how does Klay do as lethal #2, as opposed to how would a Kemba Walker do as a #2, and it changes the equation considerably.

I think

Curry, Harden, Westbrook, Irving, Fredette, Lillard are clearly more night to night franchise level dominant guards

and btw I think Devin Booker might one day get there

Butler also, if we call him a guard, if he's in the right mood, if he's not tearing down his own team, clearly to me has the far more complete franchise variety of skills.

But after that? nobody has a clear claim. And as much as anything it's what you are looking for. Doesn't mean that Klay is clearly better than a Kemba, a Beal, whoever. But does mean that he can clearly have seasons as strong or stronger than those guys, whereas he may never vis a vis Lillard until Lillard gets old.

Very nice move squeezing Fredette into your list!!! Subtly put in list, waiting for it to be picked up on

Just making sure people actually read my stuff. :lol:
Pinkyring
RealGM
And1: 6,327

Post#39 » by Pinkyring » Fri May 24, 2019 3:17 am

Effigy wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:

That team is built around Kemba and they don’t play the same position. Who’s their pg if Klay goes there?

Built around kemba how lol have u seen the roster?
Effigy
RealGM

Post#40 » by Effigy » Fri May 24, 2019 3:29 am

Pinkyring wrote:
Effigy wrote:
Pinkyring wrote:Replace kemba with klay and charl is worse, no player in the league could drag that team to playoffs

Built around kemba how lol have u seen the roster?

Lol. Well built badly, But still built. They have no pg if you just swap them.

Return to The General Board