Will Load Management become common place in the NBA going forward?

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

Kurtz
RealGM
And1: 15,710

Re: Will Load Management become common place in the NBA going forward? 

Post#21 » by Kurtz » Fri May 24, 2019 3:24 pm

enigmatics wrote:Those only one word that can describe this current generation of players - SOFT. Old school players must laugh at this current group of knuckleheads. I mean is this what it's come to? They're getting paid more to play less.

How "old school" are we talking about here? Load management has been around a fairly long time. For example, Shaq used to miss 10-15 games in the regular season with phantom injuries.
dhsilv2
RealGM
And1: 22,507

Post#22 » by dhsilv2 » Fri May 24, 2019 3:41 pm

enigmatics wrote:Those only one word that can describe this current generation of players - SOFT. Old school players must laugh at this current group of knuckleheads. I mean is this what it's come to? They're getting paid more to play less.

In most jobs you get paid more to work less as you get better at it.
SuigintouEV
General Manager
And1: 1,555

Post#23 » by SuigintouEV » Fri May 24, 2019 3:54 pm

Gregg Popovich invented NBA load management. Does no one remember "DNP - Old Age"?

As for whether it's smart? Absolutely if you have the depth. No different from an NHL team resting their starting goalie or an MLB team resting their starting pitcher. The NBA schedule is too condensed to be playing your stars 3 games in 4 nights or 6 games in 9 nights etc.

Of course not everyone can build the cushion to do that.
"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
XxIronChainzxX
RealGM
And1: 7,659

Post#24 » by XxIronChainzxX » Fri May 24, 2019 4:08 pm

Ranger One wrote:Uhh Leonard missed an entire season due to injury. The LM was part of a plan to ease him into the season gradually and carefully to prevent a reinjury. There is no way in hell Silver and the owners will allow fully healthy players to sit out 22 games a season. Furthermore, this years Raptors team was very deep and could afford to sit Leonard 22 games and still remain a top 2 team in the NBA. How many other teams can rest their superstars 22 games and still remain competitive?

Also, it hurt Kawhi accolades wise. He got 2nd team all-D, and 2nd team all NBA. He could have had a shot at 1st vs. George or Jokic if he played 75ish games. Not sure a lot of guys will just want to punt on that or eg MVP. See Harden.
Ranger One
Analyst
And1: 3,395

Post#25 » by Ranger One » Fri May 24, 2019 4:43 pm

XxIronChainzxX wrote:
Ranger One wrote:Uhh Leonard missed an entire season due to injury. The LM was part of a plan to ease him into the season gradually and carefully to prevent a reinjury. There is no way in hell Silver and the owners will allow fully healthy players to sit out 22 games a season. Furthermore, this years Raptors team was very deep and could afford to sit Leonard 22 games and still remain a top 2 team in the NBA. How many other teams can rest their superstars 22 games and still remain competitive?

Also, it hurt Kawhi accolades wise. He got 2nd team all-D, and 2nd team all NBA. He could have had a shot at 1st vs. George or Jokic if he played 75ish games. Not sure a lot of guys will just want to punt on that or eg MVP. See Harden.

Yup. Player mentality is another huge aspect of this. Guys like Kawhi care more about his health and treat the regular season like practice so they're ready for the playoffs. Others, like Harden, just love to hoop and refuse to take days off (As per D'Antoni, who tried to give Harden rest days in the regular season but Harden wouldn't hear it).
"We are Rangers.
We walk in the dark places no others will enter.
We stand on the bridge, and no one may pass.
We live for the One, we die for the One."
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,614

Post#26 » by nomansland » Fri May 24, 2019 4:50 pm

Bill Walton wishes this was a thing back in the 70's.

I have no problem with it. Playing in the NBA these days is more physically demanding than ever (people used to smoke cigarettes in ABA locker rooms during half time FFS) so there needs to be some additional rest to compensate.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,360

Post#27 » by MadDogSHWA » Fri May 24, 2019 4:54 pm

Exercise physiology has really advanced as a science. 82 games is too many. The league knows it now and has the data to prove it.

They're in a bind to reduce games without killing revenue. They trimmed the pre-season. I think we'll see that eliminated soon. They will also extend the duration of the season. Imagine the season being 1 month longer and no teams ever having to play a back-to-back.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
SSUBluesman
Assistant Coach
And1: 781

Post#28 » by SSUBluesman » Fri May 24, 2019 5:19 pm

The inevitable result of being raised by the most neurotic and self-centered generation in American history: Baby Boomers.
Naz Reid.
jimmy keys
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,889

Post#29 » by jimmy keys » Fri May 24, 2019 5:25 pm

MadDogSHWA wrote:Exercise physiology has really advanced as a science. 82 games is too many. The league knows it now and has the data to prove it.

They're in a bind to reduce games without killing revenue. They trimmed the pre-season. I think we'll see that eliminated soon. They will also extend the duration of the season. Imagine the season being 1 month longer and no teams ever having to play a back-to-back.

Just expand the league to 32 teams, each team plays one another twice for a total of 62 and be done with it. Star players would play every game, unless truly injured. Each game would be way more intense and entertaining probably generating much higher viewership.

Can it be done without killing revenue? That's the main question. The NBA is TV driven league though, as opposed to NHL which far more gate dependant.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,305

Post#30 » by boomershadow » Fri May 24, 2019 6:00 pm

13th Man wrote:
Michael Jordan wrote:Pacers really pissed me off with how they managed Oladipo and I hope his camp lets them hear it. **** the Pacers medical staff and hire independent doctors this season.

His knee kept bothering him and they kept rushing him back.

Good point. Oladipo was a prime candidate for LM if there was one. Embiid and Lebron are fair game too imo.
I also think Pacers getting swept had a lot to do with the large load all the players had throughout the season. We chased that fourth seed hard. Our players looked gassed. They were missing free throws at a crazy rate. Most of them, not just one guy.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,360

Post#31 » by MadDogSHWA » Fri May 24, 2019 6:16 pm

jimmy keys wrote:
MadDogSHWA wrote:Exercise physiology has really advanced as a science. 82 games is too many. The league knows it now and has the data to prove it.

Just expand the league to 32 teams, each team plays one another twice for a total of 62 and be done with it. Star players would play every game, unless truly injured. Each game would be way more intense and entertaining probably generating much higher viewership.

Can it be done without killing revenue? That's the main question. The NBA is TV driven league though, as opposed to NHL which far more gate dependant.
Certainly many scenarios to consider. In your scenario the team loses about 10 home games. That's probably enough money for them to say they can't afford it.

On the flip side some of the arenas that aren't sold out every night might not even notice that.

Sent from my Pixel using RealGM mobile app
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,247

Post#32 » by enigmatics » Fri May 24, 2019 6:28 pm

SlowPaced wrote:

They are smarter. Makes no sense to be "hard" just to be "hard" when the alternative makes a lot more sense.

Noteworthy that this seems applicable to a lot things in life. People who think driving automatic is less "hard" than driving stick comes to mind.

Devaluing the regular season is not smart. People pay good money to see these players far in advance. I just hope the fans wake up one day and push back against this kind of thing instead of lining the pockets of the players for an inferior product.
tommer
Senior
And1: 198

Post#33 » by tommer » Fri May 24, 2019 6:33 pm

This has been discussed for years, but:

Drop the regular season to 72 games (nice mathematical number):
- 3 games against teams in your own conference
- 2 games against teams in the other conference.
- ZERO back-to-backs

in-season FA cup-style single elimination tournament with random draw each round & last season's NBA finalists getting 1st round bye, with a deep-pocketed title sponsor wanting to make a big splash. "Final 4" could potentially replace all star weekend.

If done right I think it could lead to additional national TV/sponsorship money that could more than offset any reduction in gate receipts (if any), and the overall quality/intrigue of the basketball would go up.
Luigi
General Manager
And1: 3,590

Post#34 » by Luigi » Fri May 24, 2019 6:34 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:Sadly yes. And me buying tickets with dynamic pricing way in advance will become far less common. They better do something and fast.

Or silver can just keep playing his fiddle.

Silver is killing the golden goose. NBA product is suffering for short term gains. It won't last.
In '03-'04, Jerry Sloan coached the ESPN predicted "worst team of all time" to 42-40.
Klayforspicy
Head Coach
And1: 7,248

Post#35 » by Klayforspicy » Fri May 24, 2019 6:35 pm

1. the regular season sucks at a certain point

2. Kawhi situation is unique, as he has a degenerative quad
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,773

Post#36 » by Johnny Bball » Fri May 24, 2019 6:36 pm

Luigi wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:Sadly yes. And me buying tickets with dynamic pricing way in advance will become far less common. They better do something and fast.

Silver is killing the golden goose. NBA product is suffering for short term gains. It won't last.

It's been a real insult for a while since dynamic pricing when you shell out a grand to see a prime-time player just to have him rest. I'm not sure why they can't see this is a problem.

Injuries are injuries. But it's mostly the rest days that bother me.
enigmatics
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,247

Post#37 » by enigmatics » Fri May 24, 2019 6:36 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:

In most jobs you get paid more to work less as you get better at it.

Playing in the NBA is not the same thing. Could you imagine rolling out a big Broadway play and during it's 8 week run, the headlining actor only appeared for 5 weeks?

Other jobs - specifically corporate jobs - you can find ways to become more efficient without needing to be around as often. That's not the case with NBA teams. When LeBron sits, his team suffers. When Kawhi sits, his team suffers.
LBJKB24MJ23
RealGM
And1: 21,170

Post#38 » by LBJKB24MJ23 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:42 pm

SuigintouEV wrote:Gregg Popovich invented NBA load management. Does no one remember "DNP - Old Age"?

As for whether it's smart? Absolutely if you have the depth. No different from an NHL team resting their starting goalie or an MLB team resting their starting pitcher. The NBA schedule is too condensed to be playing your stars 3 games in 4 nights or 6 games in 9 nights etc.

Of course not everyone can build the cushion to do that.

well this strategy is also used to develop role players. why do you think SA always spins out great role players - they actually use them.

Raptors can use load management to get guys like Malcolm Miller, Boucher, Loyd some PT in real NBA game situations.
raf1995 wrote:I just don’t think he has that kind of potential. I think we will regret not trading him for a haul in a few years when he’s a mid-tier starter with nice playmaking and defense and a shaky jumper.
illuminati666
Analyst
And1: 4,561

Post#39 » by illuminati666 » Fri May 24, 2019 7:15 pm

The only negative to Kawhi's amazing playoff run.
nomansland
Head Coach
And1: 4,614

Post#40 » by nomansland » Fri May 24, 2019 7:40 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:
Luigi wrote:

It's been a real insult for a while since dynamic pricing when you shell out a grand to see a prime-time player just to have him rest. I'm not sure why they can't see this is a problem.

Injuries are injuries. But it's mostly the rest days that bother me.

If you spend $1000 to see a basketball game, you're either a fool or have so much money to burn that it doesn't matter. I don't have a lot of sympathy for those fans. Especially when they're paying to see the star of another team. I don't live in Denver but whenever I go there and get to see a live game, I pay hoping to see the Nuggets win. F the other team, their stars, and whatever bandwagon fans are there to watch them.

Return to The General Board