Kevin Durant Achilles Injury Mega-Thread (Keep discussion here, please)

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,110

Re: Kevin Durant Achilles Injury Mega-Thread (Keep discussion here, please) 

Post#1161 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:05 am

Pharmcat wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:
pretty sure Jalen was proven right when Durant blew out his achilles in game 5. Did he make stuff up too? :roll: :roll: :roll:

proven right about what? that Durant's team trotted him out there even though he didn't couldn't get thru practice? :lol:

That he wasnt ready to play and shouldn't have been out there

except everyone thought that he was ready, and that include the Warriors, Durant and Durant's team, otherwise he wouldn't have been out there.
BallSacBounce
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,411

Post#1162 » by BallSacBounce » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:05 am

Hero wrote:A day after and no update on the injury?

Everyone's just chillen like whaaat.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#1163 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:07 am

durka wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:
pretty sure Jalen was proven right when Durant blew out his achilles in game 5. Did he make stuff up too? :roll: :roll: :roll:

proven right about what? that Durant's team trotted him out there even though he didn't couldn't get thru practice? :lol:

Are you trying to argue that Durant should have been playing and the injury he had now isn't related to the one that kept him out in the past month?

If you're not then how can you argue against the fact that the warriors completely screwed him by letting him play. Every athlete wants to play in these situations, it's the medical staff that the team pays who are the ones that need to be able to tell them if they are physically able too. The warriors were either incompetent or negligent in this situation.

Genuinely would like to know if you seriously don't think the GSW are at fault here?

my argument is pretty simple: if anyone thought that this would happen, he wouldn't have been out there. and that 'everyone' includes Durant's team and staff.

i know it's a circle jerk where everyone wants to pass blame, but I don't think you, me, or anyone else here has enough info to pass blame around, as much as you'd like to guy.
DusterBuster
RealGM
And1: 18,932

Post#1164 » by DusterBuster » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:08 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254161/Warriors-Knicks-Nets-Lakers-Clippers-Still-Expected-To-Be-All-In-On-Kevin-Durant

Literally what I was telling people last night. Even if he only comes back at 80%, so he goes from being a Top 2 player to a Top 10-15 player.... he's still going to be worth the money and every team that was willing to pay the max for him before the injury will still be willing to do it after.
Devilzsidewalk wrote:DB is like the ultimate Wolves troll
durka
Starter
And1: 1,031

Post#1165 » by durka » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:18 am

clyde21 wrote:
durka wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Are you trying to argue that Durant should have been playing and the injury he had now isn't related to the one that kept him out in the past month?

If you're not then how can you argue against the fact that the warriors completely screwed him by letting him play. Every athlete wants to play in these situations, it's the medical staff that the team pays who are the ones that need to be able to tell them if they are physically able too. The warriors were either incompetent or negligent in this situation.

Genuinely would like to know if you seriously don't think the GSW are at fault here?

my argument is pretty simple: if anyone thought that this would happen, he wouldn't have been out there. and that 'everyone' includes Durant's team and staff.

i know it's a circle jerk where everyone wants to pass blame, but I don't think you, me, or anyone else here has enough info to pass blame around, as much as you'd like to guy.

They might not have been part of the everyone you were talking about, but well informed ex players like Perkins and Rose DID think it would happen. Perkins even said he called Durant a couple days ago and pleaded with him not to play.

Bob Myers legit told people he deserves the blame, which to me is him trying to deflect from his medical and coaching staff taking the brunt of it. If it wasn't negligence then it was incompetence on their part. This wasn't a random injury like the first time KD went down, it's obviously connected to what kept him out the past month. He had one full pracitise (that according to Rose wasn't a huge success) and then played 12 of 14 minutes. He didn't look right on the court and obviously shouldn't have been playing.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#1166 » by clyde21 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:22 am

durka wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
durka wrote:Are you trying to argue that Durant should have been playing and the injury he had now isn't related to the one that kept him out in the past month?

They might not have been part of the everyone you were talking about, but well informed ex players like Perkins and Rose DID think it would happen. Perkins even said he called Durant a couple days ago and pleaded with him not to play.

Bob Myers legit told people he deserves the blame, which to me is him trying to deflect from his medical and coaching staff taking the brunt of it. If it wasn't negligence then it was incompetence on their part. This wasn't a random injury like the first time KD went down, it's obviously connected to what kept him out the past month. He had one full pracitise (that according to Rose wasn't a huge success) and then played 12 of 14 minutes. He didn't look right on the court and obviously shouldn't have been playing.

are you suggesting the Perk and Rose know more than about Durant's condition to play more than Durant's team? utterly ludicrous. If Durant's team thought this would happen, they wouldn't have allowed it to happen. Period.
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,102

Post#1167 » by djsunyc » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:38 am

kerr saying docs told him kd cant get more hurt is just all kinds of crazy.

i posted this elsewhere but there was absolutely zero reason for myers to do the presser. gsw shouldve just said he is hurt and they are waiting for the mri and do a presser the next day. doing that presser when emotions are running so high can be for 1 of 2 reasons for me:

1. they are just plain stupid and it was a dumb decision

or

2. they wanted to garner sympathy by having an emotional (authentic or not) guy speak

i lean more to it just being dumb but hearing doctors tell kerr it cant get hurt more and then playing 12 of 14 mins tells me its more.
Soca
Veteran
And1: 841

Post#1168 » by Soca » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:41 am

djsunyc wrote:kerr saying docs told him kd cant get more hurt is just all kinds of crazy.

i posted this elsewhere but there was absolutely zero reason for myers to do the presser. gsw shouldve just said he is hurt and they are waiting for the mri and do a presser the next day. doing that presser when emotions are running so high can be for 1 of 2 reasons for me:

or

2. they wanted to garner sympathy by having an emotional (authentic or not) guy speak

i lean more to it just being dumb but hearing doctors tell kerr it cant get hurt more and then playing 12 of 14 mins tells me its more.

It was kind of odd Myers had that presser before the results of the MRI were revealed.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,288

Post#1169 » by Roscoe Sheed » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:44 am

Perhaps he could have waited until next season to play and blown his Achilles out in the first game he played. Perhaps his Achilles was weakened- Isiah Thomas said that he had a minor tear and that doctors said he might eventually rupture it and he eventually did- ending his career.

We are all assuming more rest would have cured Durant but perhaps that isn’t the case
Lego Legs
Junior
And1: 817

Post#1170 » by Lego Legs » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:45 am

Soca wrote:
djsunyc wrote:kerr saying docs told him kd cant get more hurt is just all kinds of crazy.

or

It was kind of odd Myers had that presser before the results of the MRI were revealed.

It's a classic PR tactic, get out in front of bad news before someone else breaks it and control the message. Hence Bob out there 'crying' dry tears.
Black Jack
Assistant Coach
And1: 5,263

Post#1171 » by Black Jack » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:47 am

DusterBuster wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254161/Warriors-Knicks-Nets-Lakers-Clippers-Still-Expected-To-Be-All-In-On-Kevin-Durant

Literally what I was telling people last night. Even if he only comes back at 80%, so he goes from being a Top 2 player to a Top 10-15 player.... he's still going to be worth the money and every team that was willing to pay the max for him before the injury will still be willing to do it after.

Sure but the point is he was mishandled and we feel for him. We wanted to see his prime uninterrupted. We feel bad he was pressured into coming back when it was clear he wasn't ready.

Bottom line Steve Kerr is looking like the Cobra Kai sensei in the light. Overplaying Durant to the point he hurt his achilles then spending the entire finals lobbying in the media for a comeback when he knew it was probably risking a full achilles rupture.

"Sweep the achilles" Steve :-?
Rest in peace Kobe & Gianna

my response to KD critics: https://tinyurl.com/tlgc6bf
LakerLegend
RealGM
And1: 6,915

Post#1172 » by LakerLegend » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:50 am

MeloRoseNoah wrote:
Hero wrote:A day after and no update on the injury?

Yes, complete tear of Achilles tendon. 12 months min for recovery.

Where did you read that?
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#1173 » by DusterBuster » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:51 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:Perhaps he could have waited until next season to play and blown his Achilles out in the first game he played. Perhaps his Achilles was weakened- Isiah Thomas said that he had a minor tear and that doctors said he might eventually rupture it and he eventually did- ending his career.

We are all assuming more rest would have cured Durant but perhaps that isn’t the case

Of course rest would have cured him, he just needed more than a month of rest since it was a serious calf injury.
DusterBuster
RealGM

Post#1174 » by DusterBuster » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:53 am

Black Jack wrote:
DusterBuster wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254161/Warriors-Knicks-Nets-Lakers-Clippers-Still-Expected-To-Be-All-In-On-Kevin-Durant

Sure but the point is he was mishandled and we feel for him. We wanted to see his prime uninterrupted. We feel bad he was pressured into coming back when it was clear he wasn't ready.

Bottom line Steve Kerr is looking like the Cobra Kai sensei in the light. Overplaying Durant to the point he hurt his achilles then spending the entire finals lobbying in the media for a comeback when he knew it was probably risking a full achilles rupture.

"Sweep the achilles" Steve :-?

Don't disagree, but literally has nothing to do with my point of my post. I was specifically speaking to all the people who said last night that said no one would offer him the max anymore.
L3GEND4RY
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,188

Post#1175 » by L3GEND4RY » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:10 am

So he’s sidelined with a “calf injury”, comes back, and then presumably tears his Achilles.

Per the Warriors former orthopedic surgeon:
Can a calf injury make you more susceptible to an Achilles injury?

"I have never seen that. I've never seen any literature to support that," Dr. John Belzer, a surgeon at California Pacific Orthopaedics, told ABC7 News. "So, it's an interesting sequence and a very unfortunate one for Kevin."

At the end of the day, this is incredibly sad. Watching a player at the peak of his prime go down like this. Forget about there potentially being pressure from the Warriors(mgmt or players). We as fans and the media are just as responsible for feeding this narrative of his heart not being in it, and creating an unnecessary urgency. **** shameful.

Signature by freshcontrast
djsunyc
RealGM
And1: 67,102

Post#1176 » by djsunyc » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:15 am

did gsw ever give a clear description of his first injury? i hear calf strain but we never got a grade level, correct? did i miss it? bc its very strange if they didnt.
cornchip
Pro Prospect
And1: 507

Post#1177 » by cornchip » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:08 am

djsunyc wrote:did gsw ever give a clear description of his first injury? i hear calf strain but we never got a grade level, correct? did i miss it? bc its very strange if they didnt.

I believe they did mention it was a grade 3.

I'm no doctor but isn't it plausible that the MRI revealed no damage or harm to his achilles and all signs pointed to the calf strain? His achilles for whatever reason was weaker than what the MRI/all examinations showed and it was just a perfect storm of a bunch of factors coming together.

You never know how someone's body is going to react. Iguodala's calf strain had a different impact than Durant's which had a different impact for dozens of other players who had the injury. Because again, I"ve never heard of a calf pull leading to a torn achilles. Microtear? Yes. Strained achilles? Yes. It just pops randomly? Yes and that's how they mostly happen.
Grits n Gravy
General Manager
And1: 1,800

Post#1178 » by Grits n Gravy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:15 am

How often do guys come back from a 5 week layoff due to injury and then have no minutes restriction placed on them?

I get this is a unique circumstance being the NBA finals and all but in addition to coming off injury he had apparently barely even practiced.
User_friendly
Pro Prospect
And1: 359

Post#1179 » by User_friendly » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:41 am

L3GEND4RY wrote:So he’s sidelined with a “calf injury”, comes back, and then presumably tears his Achilles.

Per the Warriors former orthopedic surgeon:
Can a calf injury make you more susceptible to an Achilles injury?

"I have never seen that. I've never seen any literature to support that," Dr. John Belzer, a surgeon at California Pacific Orthopaedics, told ABC7 News. "So, it's an interesting sequence and a very unfortunate one for Kevin."

I'm not a doctor, but I have been injured many times.
I think the most plausible scenario is his achilles was weakened, his calf was overcharged, then injured, and while all the focus went to the calf, the achilles went overlooked.
Then, after all the inactivity, while the calf is treated and healed, the achilles is still more weakened, so it ruptures more easily.
mcmokken
Senior
And1: 919

Post#1180 » by mcmokken » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:47 am

clyde21 wrote:
durka wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Pretty sure that nobody thought that this would happen.

What is more relevant is the question of how likely was it that something like this COULD happen based on the circumstances, and whether or not KD himself was made aware of the actual risk before deciding to play.

Would he have risked it if he knew it was even a 5% chance or higher?

There is still too much we don't know, so we can't blame GSW but likewise can't absolve them either.

Looking forward to hearing about what GSW really did and did not know, and more importantly what KD was told regarding his medical condition.

Return to The General Board