Kevin Durant Achilles Injury Mega-Thread (Keep discussion here, please)

Moderators: Prez, ken6199, Dirk, Domejandro, zimpy27, bwgood77, BombsquadSammy, Yuri Vaultin, PockyCandy

User avatar
lonzo_pelota
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,885
And1: 2,217
Joined: Jul 28, 2017
   

Re: Kevin Durant Achilles Injury Mega-Thread (Keep discussion here, please) 

Post#1241 » by lonzo_pelota » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:24 pm

toronto should end this tomorrow night so the warriors can have closure on the KD injury.
VanWest82
Head Coach
Posts: 7,464
And1: 8,091
Joined: Dec 05, 2008

Re: Kevin Durant Achilles Injury Mega-Thread (Keep discussion here, please) 

Post#1242 » by VanWest82 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:50 pm

Read on Twitter


Then all the doctors and everyone involved should be fired. It sounds too stupid and unbelievable to be true.
nedleeds
Analyst
Posts: 3,100
And1: 2,473
Joined: Dec 25, 2016
 

Re: Kevin Durant Achilles Injury Mega-Thread (Keep discussion here, please) 

Post#1243 » by nedleeds » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:41 pm

HotTubMike wrote:
nedleeds wrote:
HotTubMike wrote:
That's a different argument than "nobody is giving him a max" - there are 20 - 25 franchises out there without a superstar player paying 10's of millions to scrubs. Most never have a shot at a player of KD's caliber. I bet a number of them would roll the dice on KD.


It's pretty unprecedented in the history of sports that a team other than the current one would sign a free agent to do nothing for 1 - 1 1/2 years off the back of a career altering injury. Especially at 31. If Durant was 24 we might be having a different conversation. Or if it was a well known injury that players have recovered from fully, ACL/MCL, Jones Fracture, femoral fracture, etc..

That being said I agree with you that there are some awful front offices in this league. But why would KD want to take a 4 year max from the Magic let's say. Sit in Orlando and do nothing for a year. Come back in 2020-21 and what? I understand it's more money, but I think it's more likely Golden State gives him another 1+1 if he opts in. Then he's got $32 million in his pocket next year, and they are probably feeling pretty crappy about playing him. Also GSW is capped out whether KD leaves, retires or opts in ... so they are highly incentivized to retain him because they can't replace even his empty seat next year. Also, if he opts in they will get an injury exception of some kind, probably better than even Gordan Haywards one.


Apparently everyone who was in on him before still wants to try and throw the max at him...

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/254161/Warriors-Knicks-Nets-Lakers-Clippers-Still-Expected-To-Be-All-In-On-Kevin-Durant


Or maybe he has a competent agent leaking garbage. Hmm ... wonder which one?
BallSacBounce
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,921
And1: 1,963
Joined: Dec 14, 2011

Re: Kevin Durant Achilles Injury Mega-Thread (Keep discussion here, please) 

Post#1244 » by BallSacBounce » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:01 pm

karkinos wrote:
nurseryc wrote:49ers cornerback Richard Sherman doesn’t think Warriors’ Kevin Durant tore his Achilles, “He probably strained his Achilles. If he tore it he wouldn’t be able to flex that ankle.”

https://clutchpoints.com/49ers-news-richard-sherman-doesnt-think-warriors-kevin-durant-tore-his-achilles/


except there are more muscles not connected to the achilles also involved in plantar flexion

also, richard sherman is not a doctor.

But he does play one on TV.
User avatar
OldSchoolNoBull
Head Coach
Posts: 6,503
And1: 1,485
Joined: Jun 27, 2003
Location: Ohio

Re: Kevin Durant Achilles Injury Mega-Thread (Keep discussion here, please) 

Post#1245 » by OldSchoolNoBull » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:12 pm

"The Achilles came as a complete shock"? Really?

I don't...I mean...how? How can anybody possibly be shocked when the first thing he grabbed after the initial injury in May was his achilles, when he's been seen icing the achilles multiple times in the time since, when the entire damn sports media has been saying 'that looks like an achilles injury' for a month? There's no way they can possibly be all that surprised, let alone shocked.

They're lying and they're bad at it.
User avatar
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 47,549
And1: 9,375
Joined: Jul 16, 2006
Location: De-funked
     

Re: Kevin Durant Achilles Injury Mega-Thread (Keep discussion here, please) 

Post#1246 » by FNQ » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:44 pm

duppyy wrote:
will wrote:Warriors crying about the classless fans cheering KD's injury.
Shame on the Warriors for forcing KD to play with an already torn calf.


From a retired warriors mod after the whole zaza dirty play:

FNQ wrote:
Need that salt-spreading meme. With Zaza's face being sprinkled all over Kawhi on the ground


They have classless fans, we have classless fans, everyone has classless fans. Such is life.

None of this compares to soccer hooligans where fans get shot at by opposing fans.


Yea... that was a commentary about the fans, who were and still are 100% sure that Zaza intentionally did it. Nevermind that he rolled into KD that year and took him out for a couple months and nearly did the same to Klay as well. He's a clumsy oaf.

But hey, appreciate you taking something entirely out of context to call me classless! I sure wasn't cheering Kawhi being hurt, which I'm sure you saw in the rest of the thread, but let's not let something like facts get in the way of a good story. Fair bit of irony in that.

Why dont you link to the exact post?
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1563479&start=320#p55408760
I usually don't comment when's the GB goes on their weekly "why the Warriors are the devil" rant but this one is too funny. So much anger, so much bias, and they'll admit to neither.. no idea how you walk away thinking that's intentional, and I'm more than happy to throw W's under the bus if they screw up (yea, you Draymond)

Need that salt-spreading meme. With Zaza's face being sprinkled all over Kawhi on the ground


So don't equivocate me with fans cheering an actual injury. I'm mocking fans who think that a clumsy, lumbering 7fter had the dexterity to intentionally put his foot exactly where Kawhi was landing, without looking, didn't even know Kawhi landed on him, and was visibly distressed when he saw what happened. Not exactly the same thing, is it?
Keepin it classless
Watching the easily manipulated be easily manipulated
13th Man
Head Coach
Posts: 6,796
And1: 3,859
Joined: Feb 12, 2012
 

Re: Kevin Durant Achilles Injury Mega-Thread (Keep discussion here, please) 

Post#1247 » by 13th Man » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:50 pm

VanWest82 wrote:
Read on Twitter


Then all the doctors and everyone involved should be fired. It sounds too stupid and unbelievable to be true.


All of the sudden, these guys have turned into retards. I didn't have to google but a simple search:

https://www.mountainpeakfitness.com/blog/calf-achilles-lower-leg-silas

The Gastrocnemius and Soleus are the muscles typically thought of as the “calf” muscles. They are the main sources of power for the motion of the ankle. The fascia (connective tissue) of these two muscles comes together to form the Achilles tendon at the back of our ankle. Therefore if the calf muscles are tight then the Achilles is tight. They are so interconnected that a problem with one is a problem with both.
User avatar
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 47,549
And1: 9,375
Joined: Jul 16, 2006
Location: De-funked
     

Re: Kevin Durant Achilles Injury Mega-Thread (Keep discussion here, please) 

Post#1248 » by FNQ » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:03 pm

13th Man wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:
Read on Twitter


Then all the doctors and everyone involved should be fired. It sounds too stupid and unbelievable to be true.


All of the sudden, these guys have turned into retards. I didn't have to google but a simple search:

https://www.mountainpeakfitness.com/blog/calf-achilles-lower-leg-silas

The Gastrocnemius and Soleus are the muscles typically thought of as the “calf” muscles. They are the main sources of power for the motion of the ankle. The fascia (connective tissue) of these two muscles comes together to form the Achilles tendon at the back of our ankle. Therefore if the calf muscles are tight then the Achilles is tight. They are so interconnected that a problem with one is a problem with both.


This is correct, but you can accurately link Achilles' injuries to any injury in that leg. Any instability technically raises the chance of an Achilles' injury, because of how the player reacts to the pain. Hell, a left knee injury can be responsible for a right Achilles' injury.

Kerr went a little over the top here in saying what they thought the worst case was - reasonable worst case, maybe - but no physician in their right mind is going to say "ok, your calf is hurt - I want to hold you out of an elimination game in the Finals because this potentially could rupture your Achilles". That's just not how the sports world works.
Keepin it classless
Watching the easily manipulated be easily manipulated
13th Man
Head Coach
Posts: 6,796
And1: 3,859
Joined: Feb 12, 2012
 

Re: Kevin Durant Achilles Injury Mega-Thread (Keep discussion here, please) 

Post#1249 » by 13th Man » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:16 pm

FNQ wrote:
13th Man wrote:
VanWest82 wrote:
Read on Twitter


Then all the doctors and everyone involved should be fired. It sounds too stupid and unbelievable to be true.


All of the sudden, these guys have turned into retards. I didn't have to google but a simple search:

https://www.mountainpeakfitness.com/blog/calf-achilles-lower-leg-silas

The Gastrocnemius and Soleus are the muscles typically thought of as the “calf” muscles. They are the main sources of power for the motion of the ankle. The fascia (connective tissue) of these two muscles comes together to form the Achilles tendon at the back of our ankle. Therefore if the calf muscles are tight then the Achilles is tight. They are so interconnected that a problem with one is a problem with both.


This is correct, but you can accurately link Achilles' injuries to any injury in that leg. Any instability technically raises the chance of an Achilles' injury, because of how the player reacts to the pain. Hell, a left knee injury can be responsible for a right Achilles' injury.

Kerr went a little over the top here in saying what they thought the worst case was - reasonable worst case, maybe - but no physician in their right mind is going to say "ok, your calf is hurt - I want to hold you out of an elimination game in the Finals because this potentially could rupture your Achilles". That's just not how the sports world works.


I'm sorry but I'm not buying this. When I google Achilles Tendon injury, practically every link talks about symptoms which all include tightness in the calf.

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/health-library/diseases-and-conditions/a/achilles-tendon-injuries.html

Who is at risk for Achilles tendon injuries?
- Tight calf muscles when starting an exercise or sport, this can place more stress on your tendon

Every sports doctor, physiotherapist and kinesiologist should be aware of this risk.

Steve Kerr did not just go over the top, he went full R, following the example set by Bob Meyers. This organization is very dishonest.
TroyD92
RealGM
Posts: 14,552
And1: 5,126
Joined: Mar 28, 2013
Location: Renewed Hope
 

Re: Kevin Durant Achilles Injury Mega-Thread (Keep discussion here, please) 

Post#1250 » by TroyD92 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:32 pm

People on the internet vs doctors. Tough call on who to go with.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.
User avatar
jason bourne
Analyst
Posts: 3,537
And1: 921
Joined: Dec 23, 2013
   

Re: Kevin Durant Achilles Injury Mega-Thread (Keep discussion here, please) 

Post#1251 » by jason bourne » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:36 pm

KD's injury did change my life. I watched this tweet !!! GRAPHIC WARNING !!! --
Read on Twitter


I had to stop running recently because of it raising my heartbeats beyond my target rate for someone my age with high blood pressure. Before, I did my legs, calves, and achilles stretches before every run based on this website -- https://www.wikihow.com/Stretch-for-Achilles-Tendonitis. However, quitting running (and going to bicycling and walking my dogs for cardiovascular) stopped the stretching exercises. I'm back to doing them now and doing them for just playing easy basketball :o.
Image

“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.”
User avatar
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 47,549
And1: 9,375
Joined: Jul 16, 2006
Location: De-funked
     

Re: Kevin Durant Achilles Injury Mega-Thread (Keep discussion here, please) 

Post#1252 » by FNQ » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:03 am

13th Man wrote:
FNQ wrote:
13th Man wrote:
All of the sudden, these guys have turned into retards. I didn't have to google but a simple search:

https://www.mountainpeakfitness.com/blog/calf-achilles-lower-leg-silas

The Gastrocnemius and Soleus are the muscles typically thought of as the “calf” muscles. They are the main sources of power for the motion of the ankle. The fascia (connective tissue) of these two muscles comes together to form the Achilles tendon at the back of our ankle. Therefore if the calf muscles are tight then the Achilles is tight. They are so interconnected that a problem with one is a problem with both.


This is correct, but you can accurately link Achilles' injuries to any injury in that leg. Any instability technically raises the chance of an Achilles' injury, because of how the player reacts to the pain. Hell, a left knee injury can be responsible for a right Achilles' injury.

Kerr went a little over the top here in saying what they thought the worst case was - reasonable worst case, maybe - but no physician in their right mind is going to say "ok, your calf is hurt - I want to hold you out of an elimination game in the Finals because this potentially could rupture your Achilles". That's just not how the sports world works.


I'm sorry but I'm not buying this. When I google Achilles Tendon injury, practically every link talks about symptoms which all include tightness in the calf.

https://www.cedars-sinai.org/health-library/diseases-and-conditions/a/achilles-tendon-injuries.html

Who is at risk for Achilles tendon injuries?
- Tight calf muscles when starting an exercise or sport, this can place more stress on your tendon

Every sports doctor, physiotherapist and kinesiologist should be aware of this risk.

Steve Kerr did not just go over the top, he went full R, following the example set by Bob Meyers. This organization is very dishonest.


this is from one of the best sports docs I've ever had the pleasure of working with (ok, it was just members of his team, but im still gonna name drop):

Read on Twitter


https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/nba/story/2019-06-11/nba-finals-kevin-durant-achilles-injury-warriors-free-agency

The first time Durant made an explosive move Monday, he had a classic Achilles injury. People in their 40s and 50s tear their Achilles because the tendon is weak. Professional athletes tear their Achilles because their gastrocnemius (calf) muscle is strong and contracts too quickly for the tendon to lengthen, and it tears.

The violent muscle contraction and “ripple” is evidence the muscle overpowered the tendon. It is like in a game of tug-of-war — if the rope breaks or the other side let’s go, the “winning side” falls down backwards in a heap. In this way, Durant had to have a strong calf muscle to tear his Achilles which speaks against a calf muscle strain.

The theory here (not fact) is that Durant had some partial injury to his Achilles that the Warriors knew about and treated appropriately with over a month’s rest and made a calculated risk/reward decision that didn’t work out.


Obviously, he believes "calf" was for the public's benefit and there was Achilles' inflammation, if not a sprain.

But you are correct as well - a weakened calf can cause Achilles' injuries - its just not what you typically see in a rupture. But my larger point was that there's a lot of domino effects in Achilles' injuries at times - a pulled quad can cause you to favor a leg, putting more stress on that knee/calf, which leads to an Achilles injury. But one thing I missed earlier that I dont agree with is the calf being tight = Achilles' being tight.. that's not necessarily true. It can be, but its not a rule of thumb.
Keepin it classless
Watching the easily manipulated be easily manipulated
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 36,769
And1: 41,928
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Kevin Durant Achilles Injury Mega-Thread (Keep discussion here, please) 

Post#1253 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:08 am

a weakened calf actually lowers the risk for achilles, since it's applies less force in the opposite direction. that's just from what i've gathered today reading...if someone can refute please do so.

this legit could have been completely random, and was just waiting to happen after so many years.
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 36,769
And1: 41,928
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Kevin Durant Achilles Injury Mega-Thread (Keep discussion here, please) 

Post#1254 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:12 am

Drygon wrote:


Max Kell is a moron. We didn't milk anyone. We had no wings on the roster all year. It was literally just Durant and Iguodala that could play the 3, and Iguodala himself can't play hefty minutes...

the problem is that instead of using the MLE on another functional wing, we used on it on another big (Cousins)...that's the real issue here why Durant was overworked all year

it has nothing to do with 'milking' KD...especially considering the FO has been operating under the assumption that they were going to try their hardest to resign him long term

another BS hot take by a hot take artist Kellerman

im noticing a weird trend of people here now getting their opinions from shows like First Take, and it's starting to show on the forum in pretty bad ways
lakerz12
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,275
And1: 5,606
Joined: Jan 29, 2006
Contact:
     

Re: Kevin Durant Achilles Injury Mega-Thread (Keep discussion here, please) 

Post#1255 » by lakerz12 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:14 am

TroyD92 wrote:People on the internet vs doctors. Tough call on who to go with.


Correction:

People on the Internet with the advantage of hindsight to see that the Warrior doctors were wrong vs the doctors who cleared KD

Also, some of the "people on the Internet" are doctors, so where does that leave your argument? :crazy:
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 36,769
And1: 41,928
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Kevin Durant Achilles Injury Mega-Thread (Keep discussion here, please) 

Post#1256 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:18 am

per KD

What’s good everybody I wanted to update you all: I did rupture my Achilles. Surgery was today and it was a success, EASY MONEY

My road back starts now! I got my family and my loved ones by my side and we truly appreciate all the messages and support people have sent our way.

Like I said Monday, I'm hurting deeply, but I'm OK. Basketball is my biggest love and I wanted to be out there that night because that’s what I do. I wanted to help my teammates on our quest for the three peat.




give it a rest.
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 36,769
And1: 41,928
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Kevin Durant Achilles Injury Mega-Thread (Keep discussion here, please) 

Post#1257 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:19 am

lakerz12 wrote:
TroyD92 wrote:People on the internet vs doctors. Tough call on who to go with.


Correction:

People on the Internet with the advantage of hindsight to see that the Warrior doctors were wrong vs the doctors who cleared KD

Also, some of the "people on the Internet" are doctors, so where does that leave your argument? :crazy:


the numerous doctors that diagnosed and cleared KD should apologize for not being able to see into the future.
lakerz12
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,275
And1: 5,606
Joined: Jan 29, 2006
Contact:
     

Re: Kevin Durant Achilles Injury Mega-Thread (Keep discussion here, please) 

Post#1258 » by lakerz12 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:24 am

clyde21 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
TroyD92 wrote:People on the internet vs doctors. Tough call on who to go with.


Correction:

People on the Internet with the advantage of hindsight to see that the Warrior doctors were wrong vs the doctors who cleared KD

Also, some of the "people on the Internet" are doctors, so where does that leave your argument? :crazy:


the numerous doctors that diagnosed and cleared KD should apologize for not being able to see into the future.


We don't have all of the facts about what the doctors actually knew.

But, in theory, yes. It's their job to predict what outcomes are likely. And it's possible that a very good doctor would have predicted what happened and warned against it.

Unless, of course, the Achilles rupture had nothing to do with KD's existing injury. Doesn't seem likely but if that's your theory then so be it.
User avatar
clyde21
RealGM
Posts: 36,769
And1: 41,928
Joined: Aug 20, 2014
   

Re: Kevin Durant Achilles Injury Mega-Thread (Keep discussion here, please) 

Post#1259 » by clyde21 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:26 am

lakerz12 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
Correction:

People on the Internet with the advantage of hindsight to see that the Warrior doctors were wrong vs the doctors who cleared KD

Also, some of the "people on the Internet" are doctors, so where does that leave your argument? :crazy:


the numerous doctors that diagnosed and cleared KD should apologize for not being able to see into the future.


We don't have all of the facts about what the doctors actually knew.

But, in theory, yes. It's their job to predict what outcomes are likely. And it's possible that a very good doctor would have predicted what happened and warned against it.

Unless, of course, the Achilles rupture had nothing to do with KD's existing injury. Doesn't seem likely but if that's your theory then so be it.


We have the only two facts we need:

-His own doctors cleared him

-The Warriors own medical staff cleared him

That's TWO different sets of doctors that diagnosed and cleared him, and these are doctors that work with prefossional athletes on a daily basis.

so, it's either we believe them and take them for their word, or listen to people on RealGM that was to drive garbage narratives.

definitely a tough choice.
lakerz12
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,275
And1: 5,606
Joined: Jan 29, 2006
Contact:
     

Re: Kevin Durant Achilles Injury Mega-Thread (Keep discussion here, please) 

Post#1260 » by lakerz12 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:31 am

clyde21 wrote:
lakerz12 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
the numerous doctors that diagnosed and cleared KD should apologize for not being able to see into the future.


We don't have all of the facts about what the doctors actually knew.

But, in theory, yes. It's their job to predict what outcomes are likely. And it's possible that a very good doctor would have predicted what happened and warned against it.

Unless, of course, the Achilles rupture had nothing to do with KD's existing injury. Doesn't seem likely but if that's your theory then so be it.


We have the only two facts we need:

-His own doctors cleared him

-The Warriors own medical staff cleared him

That's TWO different sets of doctors that diagnosed and cleared him, and these are doctors that work with prefossional athletes on a daily basis.

so, it's either we believe them and take them for their word, or listen to people on RealGM that was to drive garbage narratives.

definitely a tough choice.


Dude, do you not understand that doctors make mistakes?

Doctors give incorrect diagnoses on a daily basis.

Those very doctors, if you could ask them now, would probably say that they may have missed something. That if they had more advanced technology or better MRI's maybe they would have advised KD not to play.

The fact that they cleared him and then he ruptured his achilles is the point....take off your rose colored glasses man.

Return to The General Board