Kevin Durant Achilles Injury Mega-Thread (Keep discussion here, please)

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

everdiso
General Manager
And1: 10,125

Re: Kevin Durant Achilles Injury Mega-Thread (Keep discussion here, please) 

Post#1301 » by everdiso » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:27 pm

mrtease wrote:Can't believe there are still some Warrior fans pretending this was just some freak, unavoidable accident. Just look at the pathway to this (from another forum:

1) Initial injury, nearly everyone thinks it's an achilles injury. Warriors claim its a mild calf strain, but are weirdly vague

shocking that they are pretending they didn't know.
"I wasn't gonna act surprised - cuz I wasn't surprised."
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,005

Post#1302 » by Pharmcat » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:32 pm

wait, this clown was saying KD was going to play in game 5....Durant needs to remove him from his inner circle and replace him with Shannon, Max, Perkins
poomaster
Senior
And1: 701

Post#1303 » by poomaster » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:32 pm

Trickles of information coming out saying that the Warriors knew KD's initial injury was an achilles injury and not a calf strain.

This explains KD walking around with his achilles / ankle area and not his calf wrapped up game to game leading up to this catastrophe.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,105

Post#1304 » by skones » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:36 pm

Read on Twitter

This video still blows my mind as he's still bouncing on that foot. I full on tore mine along with a partial calf tear on February 25th, and there's absolutely NO way I'd be able to do that. Makes me think it was a partial tear that needed surgery to prevent it from healing long.
karkinos
Head Coach
And1: 2,058

Post#1305 » by karkinos » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:44 pm

tore my own achilles as well with a full tear
basically had drop foot and was limping around for a few days prior to getting surgery
NapoleonII
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,415

Post#1306 » by NapoleonII » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:46 pm

poomaster wrote:

Trickles of information coming out saying that the Warriors knew KD's initial injury was an achilles injury and not a calf strain.

This explains KD walking around with his achilles / ankle area and not his calf wrapped up game to game leading up to this catastrophe.

None of this is surprising.

What is surprising is GS fans protecting their shady as Hell front office. Stop being tribalistic, mob-like and bribed for another ring.
Inklink
RealGM
And1: 19,214

Post#1307 » by Inklink » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:52 pm

Methinks medical staff was strong armed into clearing kd to play.
For lease.
radeonboy
Analyst
And1: 3,704

Post#1308 » by radeonboy » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:56 pm

poomaster wrote:

Need the popcorn GIF, waiting for more juicy info to be leaked...
mrtease
Sophomore
And1: 220

Post#1309 » by mrtease » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:57 pm

poomaster wrote:

Only thing that makes sense, and to be honest it's what a lot of people suspected before the 2nd injury.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#1310 » by FNQ » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:58 pm

Inklink wrote:Methinks medical staff was strong armed into clearing kd to play.

This isn’t movie. Doctors won’t risk their medical license, which they worked their entire lives for, for a game. Even one of this magnitude.

This kind of thing would leak, because it’s illegal and no longer protected by HIPPA (trying to influence consent in that way would definitely be a crime)
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1311 » by FNQ » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:02 pm

everdiso wrote:
mrtease wrote:Can't believe there are still some Warrior fans pretending this was just some freak, unavoidable accident. Just look at the pathway to this (from another forum:

1) Initial injury, nearly everyone thinks it's an achilles injury. Warriors claim its a mild calf strain, but are weirdly vague

shocking that they are pretending they didn't know.

Counter intuitive as it is, it’s entirely possible that Kerr was presented the exact same information as the public.

More likely - Kerr was presented the information saying that the most likely injury would be a calf injury, which is also very viable. I know this flies in the face of people wanting to villainize a team or doctors or both, but there’s almost no chance that they send him out there if there was a pressing concern about his Achilles. For one, he wouldn’t be effective as a player. For two, his own personal doctors would have shot it down, knowing his pending free agency was looming.
NapoleonII
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,415

Post#1312 » by NapoleonII » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:03 pm

FNQ wrote:

This isn’t movie. Doctors won’t risk their medical license, which they worked their entire lives for, for a game. Even one of this magnitude.

This kind of thing would leak, because it’s illegal and no longer protected by HIPPA (trying to influence consent in that way would definitely be a crime)

Hasn't stopped violations and under the table deals before.

It's completely naive to believe a set of laws and protocols will hinder 100% of people.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1313 » by FNQ » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:06 pm

NapoleonII wrote:
FNQ wrote:

It's completely naive to believe a set of laws and protocols will hinder 100% of people.

It will at this level. You clearly have no idea how many people are in on these decisions. It would not be possible.

You guys hear “team doctor” and think one person. It’s an entire medical group. Doctors, nurses, clerks - and not just one team , his own personal team. His agent would have to be in on it. Likely the W’s insurance provider. Every decision maker on the Warriors as well.

It’s not plausible in a normal situation, much less one with this much attention.
Inklink
RealGM
And1: 19,214

Post#1314 » by Inklink » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:07 pm

NapoleonII wrote:
FNQ wrote:

Yeah, just like players almost always pass concussion protocol in 2 minutes despite blatant head impact.
For lease.
Truthrising
RealGM
And1: 7,966

Post#1315 » by Truthrising » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:12 pm

I still can’t belive the GS medical staff cleared KD to play knowing he had a partial Achilles tear. WOW!

This will put a dent on the reputation of the GS warriors organizations for sure and I wouldn’t trust the medical team if I was a free agent.
Masai's to do list
Trade - Ibaka
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1316 » by FNQ » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:13 pm

Inklink wrote:
NapoleonII wrote:
FNQ wrote:This isn’t movie. Doctors won’t risk their medical license, which they worked their entire lives for, for a game. Even one of this magnitude.

Yeah, just like players almost always pass concussion protocol in 2 minutes despite blatant head impact.

Vast difference between (1) independent neurologist in 2 minutes against upwards of 100 people in one month.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1317 » by FNQ » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:14 pm

Truthrising wrote:I still can’t belive the GS medical staff cleared KD to play knowing he had a partial Achilles tear. WOW!

This will put a dent on the reputation of the GS warriors organizations for sure and I wouldn’t trust the medical team if I was a free agent.

A sprain is basically a tear, and people play on sprained body parts all the time
mrtease
Sophomore

Post#1318 » by mrtease » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:15 pm

FNQ wrote:

Of course they get strong armed/influenced, they're only human. I work in a health profession field and there are always pressures to 'get results' nudge wink influencing, lectures on the impact on stats if you do x etc- I completely disregard it it, but the sad truth is employers try to influence, pressure and coerce medical practitioners whether it be for financial purposes or whatever, all the time
mrtease
Sophomore

Post#1319 » by mrtease » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:16 pm

FNQ wrote:
Truthrising wrote:I still can’t belive the GS medical staff cleared KD to play knowing he had a partial Achilles tear. WOW!

A sprain is basically a tear, and people play on sprained body parts all the time

Why are you trying to support this? If it were my team (the Knicks) and this had happened, there's no way you'd think they'd done nothing wrong.
mrtease
Sophomore

Post#1320 » by mrtease » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:19 pm

I don't see how any player can trust that medical team (though I see Shaun Livingstone tried to defend them)- expect to see them quietly got rid of in the offseason- and all those people saying they did no wrong can then have another think

Return to The General Board