Kevin Durant Achilles Injury Mega-Thread (Keep discussion here, please)

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Joker
RealGM
And1: 7,262

Re: Kevin Durant Achilles Injury Mega-Thread (Keep discussion here, please) 

Post#1341 » by Joker » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:52 pm

KD’s doctors and warriors medical staff giving the go ahead is an insufficient answer, given reports that:
-KD barely practiced
-from the limited practice he did have prior to game 5, he looked nowhere remotely ready (jalen rose)

There’s a large disconnect between the medical clearance and his limited/dubious on court practice time.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,006

Post#1342 » by FNQ » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:57 pm

Joker wrote:KD’s doctors and warriors medical staff giving the go ahead is an insufficient answer, given reports that:
-KD barely practiced
-from the limited practice he did have prior to game 5, he looked nowhere remotely ready (jalen rose)

There’s a large disconnect between the medical clearance and his limited/dubious on court practice time.

So they rushed him through the rehab process.

You are also implying that the practice was not supervised by medical professionals. Guarantee it was.

You can’t create a faux scenario and then claim it’s insufficient. It’s really strange to see how many people think that doctors don’t know how to do their jobs
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1343 » by FNQ » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:02 pm

Also of note - KD practiced away from the public eye as well. Rose would not have had access to that.

Which isn’t unheard of in these situations. Typically doctors/trainers prefer to gauge a players viabiliity in private
heatwillbeback
RealGM
And1: 13,019

Post#1344 » by heatwillbeback » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:08 pm

FNQ wrote:
heatwillbeback wrote:
FNQ wrote:
And KDs doctors and agents ok’d it

And then everyone stood up and cheered

Roll credits

Pressure to get someone on the court is fast-tracking rehab, not altering a diagnosis. People need to stop learning sports medicine from Varsity Blues

I’m not a conspiracy theory person at all, but I do think something strange happened here.

Put as succinctly as possible, I just think it’s too much of a coincidence to believe he hurt, in his first game back, what everybody believed he hurt a month ago and were assured didn’t happen. I don’t believe his injury a month ago was calf only.

The facts to support this aren’t out yet. It’s just the feeling I’ve had since the beginning. Imo he had a partial tear (misdiagnosed or the diagnosis hidden from the media) that fully ruptured Monday.

I think the diagnosis was hidden from the media in med-speak. Happens all the time - in fact, the Warriors did this with Andrew Bogut before.

But I think in the end, Occam’s razor will be the answer: had an Achilles injury, they softened the blow to the public, they rushed rehab, everyone unanimously decided to give him a go and let KD manage it in game.. and it backfired.

One thing about KD.. if they gave him incorrect information (both the team and his own doctors), he’d be chirping about it right now. Mess with a man’s payday and they won’t be silent

I believe this to be the case as well. I 100% believe KD was part of the decision to play. I also believe it was a minor Achilles injury (relatively) that became a lot worse by playing.

I just hear Kerr and Myers flat out say the first injury was not in any way the Achilles. They are saying it so definitively that it’s going to be hard to peel back from if it’s proven false later on. There is nothing saying coaches and GMs need to be honest in their press conferences, but that’s kind of assumed when it comes to players health. Or at least it should be in my opinion.
lolathon234
Senior
And1: 523

Post#1345 » by lolathon234 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:40 pm

With all of the speculation into what effect the injury will have on Durant longterm, I can't believe this point hasn't been brought up. Kobe, Brand, Rudy Gay, Cousins, Wesley Matthews, Billups, and Memet Okur, all right handed shooters and thus left footed leapers, tore the achilles tendon on their LEFT legs. This greatly impaired their explosiveness and leaping ability moving forward.

Dominique Wilkins and Jonas Jerebko are the 2 lone examples of NBA players that ruptured their achilles tendons and had no decline in athleticism or their level of play. As a matter of fact, both players actually had better seasons in their 1st years back after the injury than they had in the seasons where it occurred. Wilkins and Jerebko, also both right handed shooters and left foot leapers, tore the achilles tendon on their RIGHT, NON-DOMINANT leg.

https://www.nytimes.com/1992/01/29/sports/pro-basketball-achilles-tendon-injury-ends-wilkins-s-season.html

Durant, like Wilkins and Jerebko, tore the achilles tendon on his RIGHT, non-dominant leg.

[img]
https://imagesvc.timeincapp.com/v3/mm/image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn-s3.si.com%2Fs3fs-public%2Fstyles%2Fmarquee_large_2x%2Fpublic%2F2019%2F06%2F11%2Fkevin-durant-injury-new-york-city-doctors-evaluation.jpg%3Fitok%3Duzob-iKU&w=700&q=85[/img]
pr0wler
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,241

Post#1346 » by pr0wler » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:46 pm

lolathon234 wrote:With all of the speculation into what effect the injury will have on Durant longterm, has anyone realized that Durant tore his RIGHT achilles tendon? He's right handed, and like most right handed basketball players, he is a LEFT footed jumper. Kobe, Brand, Rudy Gay, Cousins, Wesley Matthews, Billups, and Memet Okur, all right handed shooters and left footed leapers, tore the achilles tendon on their LEFT leg.

Dominique Wilkins and Jonas Jerebko are the 2 lone examples of NBA players that ruptured their achilles tendons and had no decline in their level of play. As a matter off act, both players actually had better seasons immediately upon returning than they had in the seasons where they suffered the injury. Wilkins and Jerebko, both right handed shooters and left foot leapers, tore the achilles tendon on their RIGHT, NON-DOMINANT leg.

/thread
BernteB
Senior
And1: 905

Post#1347 » by BernteB » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:48 pm

lolathon234 wrote:With all of the speculation into what effect the injury will have on Durant longterm, has anyone realized that Durant tore his RIGHT achilles tendon? He's right handed, and like most right handed basketball players, he is a LEFT footed jumper. Kobe, Brand, Rudy Gay, Cousins, Wesley Matthews, Billups, and Memet Okur, all right handed shooters and left footed leapers, tore the achilles tendon on their LEFT leg.

Dominique Wilkins and Jonas Jerebko are the 2 lone examples of NBA players that ruptured their achilles tendons and had no decline in their level of play. As a matter off act, both players actually had better seasons immediately upon returning than they had in the seasons where they suffered the injury. Wilkins and Jerebko, both right handed shooters and left foot leapers, tore the achilles tendon on their RIGHT, NON-DOMINANT leg.

exactly what i said 23 pages earlier.
Calinks
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 14,100

Post#1348 » by Calinks » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:27 am

This is a tragedy in basketball terms. He should have absolutely not been out there it seems. Think the NBA needs to step in and do something about situations like this. His return was very questionable.
When luck shuts the door skill comes in through the window.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1349 » by FNQ » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:26 am

Calinks wrote:This is a tragedy in basketball terms. He should have absolutely not been out there it seems. Think the NBA needs to step in and do something about situations like this. His return was very questionable.

Other than end result, how does it seem that way?
asdfgh
Lead Assistant
And1: 755

Post#1350 » by asdfgh » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:07 am

I really feel for Durant. He wins the Warriors 2 titles, and instead of being embraced by the team's fans, he is hated because he (deservedly) gets all the glory instead of their "golden boy" Curry. He then tries to play injured to save his team's season, and this is what happens to him. Warriors' fans and idiots like Draymond Green need to shut up once and for all.
I really hope he comes back from his injury and wins another title, but not with the Warriors. They don't deserve a player like that.

Return to The General Board