If you were Anthony Davis, would you like to be manipulated by your agent like that? In public?

Moderators: Prez, Yuri Vaultin, ken6199, Dirk, Domejandro, bwgood77, zimpy27, BombsquadSammy, GeorgeMarcus, PockyCandy

durka
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,893
And1: 398
Joined: Jun 26, 2008

Re: If you were Anthony Davis, would you like to be manipulated by your agent like that? In public? 

Post#81 » by durka » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:44 am

dhsilv2 wrote:
durka wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
KD has a team of his own medical experts as does every other top tier nba player. He made the decision based on what HIS TEAM said along with a second opinion from the team's medical specialists. Plus both sides 100% had 3rd party opinions they paid for. So no not different AT ALL.

Do you REALLY seriously not realize every player at this level has a freaking medical staff at their disposal for these issues? I mean for real? You think he didn't take the word of HIS team? This is a man who's made over a quarter BILLION dollars in his career. He has unlimited resources...and you seriously think he took the word of the team doctors alone?

I can't even imagine what kind of crazy world you're in...

Are you trying to argue that his team gave him good medical advice? Obviously the doctors he saw and the people representing KD didn't give him good advice either. Hell the Warriors organization came out and said "we **** up". Theyve already set the precedence earlier in the series of sitting a player who was of risk of injury. Not sure why it's crazy to believe that he got influenced to come back too early when he hurt himself 12 minutes in. Numerous former players have come out and said the same damn thing I'm saying right now.

And none of that has anything to do with saying agents act on the orders and interests of their clients who pay them.


So he's adult enough to make sure his agent does right by him but he can't make sure his medical team does right by him because he's not an adult? Which is it? And again it isn't like he would just take ONE paid opinion...again KD has truly as close as there is to unlimited money. He's either an idiot who can't understand what his agent is doing and is being manipulated by everyone around him or he knows how to take advice by people who are experts.

Read on Twitter


Here's an interview of Kevin Durants mother literally saying he played because the doctors decided he was able to and wouldn't have been allowed to make the desicion on his own(3:35). The Warriors are deflecting blame by calling it a collaborative desicion.

Not sure how you can't see the difference in relationships between a player and agent vs player and doctors. One is a player paying someone to maximize their earnings and act on their interests. The other is someone the player goes to for advice and treatment to maximize health. 2 completley different dynamics.
CoP
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,736
And1: 1,758
Joined: May 04, 2017
       

Re: If you were Anthony Davis, would you like to be manipulated by your agent like that? In public? 

Post#82 » by CoP » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:53 am

Full-grown adults get manipulated by other people and companies all the time, every single day. Just because AD is a grown man doesn't mean he isn't being manipulated.

That said, it doesn't matter if he's getting manipulated or not. Either way it seems like he is going to take a PR hit to his image in exchange for getting to his desired team.
seren
RealGM
Posts: 22,480
And1: 2,497
Joined: Jul 21, 2002

Re: If you were Anthony Davis, would you like to be manipulated by your agent like that? In public? 

Post#83 » by seren » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:06 am

AD gave seven years to New Orleans and they couldn't put anything remotely good around him. He is doing them another favor by asking out early and getting them some assets in a trade. The agent part is really irrelevant
-G-
Analyst
Posts: 3,573
And1: 2,111
Joined: Jan 30, 2007

Re: If you were Anthony Davis, would you like to be manipulated by your agent like that? In public? 

Post#84 » by -G- » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:09 am

TinmanZBoy wrote:Now it feels like Rich Paul is owning AD...
I feel bad for AD, maybe not


It's crazy how little respect people have for AD, as if he's 7 years old and Rich Paul is his dad.
Chandan
Head Coach
Posts: 6,883
And1: 10,511
Joined: Nov 23, 2017
 

Re: If you were Anthony Davis, would you like to be manipulated by your agent like that? In public? 

Post#85 » by Chandan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:51 am

Saberestar wrote:Come on guys, do you think that Anthony Davis is dumb?

Rich Paul works for LeBron.

A. Davis wants to play for the Lakers (or Knicks) and Rich Paul is trying to achieve that. As soon as possible.
Image
User avatar
ReKon
Senior
Posts: 667
And1: 316
Joined: Oct 01, 2014
   

Re: If you were Anthony Davis, would you like to be manipulated by your agent like that? In public? 

Post#86 » by ReKon » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:42 am

Lol to anyone who thinks that AD isn't pulling the strings behind this.

Everything from him choosing to switch agents to go with Rich Paul to the public statements made by both of them points to that fact. Hr wants to go to a big market team and he hired an agent who despite what people think (including me because I don't like his antics) gets his clients what they want.

You think John Wall is out there thinking that he hasthe worst contract in the NBA? Cause I bet he looks at his bank balance and doesn't even consider that
Sulico
Rookie
Posts: 1,116
And1: 1,001
Joined: Jun 16, 2011

Re: If you were Anthony Davis, would you like to be manipulated by your agent like that? In public? 

Post#87 » by Sulico » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:01 am

durka wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
durka wrote:Are you trying to argue that his team gave him good medical advice? Obviously the doctors he saw and the people representing KD didn't give him good advice either. Hell the Warriors organization came out and said "we **** up". Theyve already set the precedence earlier in the series of sitting a player who was of risk of injury. Not sure why it's crazy to believe that he got influenced to come back too early when he hurt himself 12 minutes in. Numerous former players have come out and said the same damn thing I'm saying right now.

And none of that has anything to do with saying agents act on the orders and interests of their clients who pay them.


So he's adult enough to make sure his agent does right by him but he can't make sure his medical team does right by him because he's not an adult? Which is it? And again it isn't like he would just take ONE paid opinion...again KD has truly as close as there is to unlimited money. He's either an idiot who can't understand what his agent is doing and is being manipulated by everyone around him or he knows how to take advice by people who are experts.

Read on Twitter


Here's an interview of Kevin Durants mother literally saying he played because the doctors decided he was able to and wouldn't have been allowed to make the desicion on his own(3:35). The Warriors are deflecting blame by calling it a collaborative desicion.

Not sure how you can't see the difference in relationships between a player and agent vs player and doctors. One is a player paying someone to maximize their earnings and act on their interests. The other is someone the player goes to for advice and treatment to maximize health. 2 completley different dynamics.


Dude, stop. Hypocrisy is very obvious here. Both men made their choices, nobody did hold a gun to anybody's head.
And social pressure is very subjective thing that every person deal with on daily basis one way or another. We are social creatures, and we hear opinions, advices and social norms from all around us. But every man makes his final call by himself and holds the responsibility for results. If he's man enough ofcourse.
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 18,404
And1: 7,182
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: If you were Anthony Davis, would you like to be manipulated by your agent like that? In public? 

Post#88 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:07 am

durka wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
durka wrote:Are you trying to argue that his team gave him good medical advice? Obviously the doctors he saw and the people representing KD didn't give him good advice either. Hell the Warriors organization came out and said "we **** up". Theyve already set the precedence earlier in the series of sitting a player who was of risk of injury. Not sure why it's crazy to believe that he got influenced to come back too early when he hurt himself 12 minutes in. Numerous former players have come out and said the same damn thing I'm saying right now.

And none of that has anything to do with saying agents act on the orders and interests of their clients who pay them.


So he's adult enough to make sure his agent does right by him but he can't make sure his medical team does right by him because he's not an adult? Which is it? And again it isn't like he would just take ONE paid opinion...again KD has truly as close as there is to unlimited money. He's either an idiot who can't understand what his agent is doing and is being manipulated by everyone around him or he knows how to take advice by people who are experts.



Here's an interview of Kevin Durants mother literally saying he played because the doctors decided he was able to and wouldn't have been allowed to make the desicion on his own(3:35). The Warriors are deflecting blame by calling it a collaborative desicion.

Not sure how you can't see the difference in relationships between a player and agent vs player and doctors. One is a player paying someone to maximize their earnings and act on their interests. The other is someone the player goes to for advice and treatment to maximize health. 2 completley different dynamics.


The same thing. The exact same thing. And that's not what the doctors do in these cases, lol.

In both cases he is paying for expert advice, he pays for it, he picks the people doing it, and he acts based on their advice and he makes the final call.
Pointgod
General Manager
Posts: 8,128
And1: 7,828
Joined: Jun 28, 2014

Re: If you were Anthony Davis, would you like to be manipulated by your agent like that? In public? 

Post#89 » by Pointgod » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:08 pm

A lot of idiots in this thread that don’t understand the job of an agent.
User avatar
iamworthy
RealGM
Posts: 17,109
And1: 3,829
Joined: Jul 20, 2007
Location: Ring City!!!
   

Re: If you were Anthony Davis, would you like to be manipulated by your agent like that? In public? 

Post#90 » by iamworthy » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:13 pm

TinmanZBoy wrote:Now it feels like Rich Paul is owning AD...
I feel bad for AD, maybe not


Seems like his agent is doing his job. If he gets him to LA he will have done a great job assuming that's where AD wants to be.
nickgammon
Pro Prospect
Posts: 939
And1: 873
Joined: Apr 17, 2014
     

Re: If you were Anthony Davis, would you like to be manipulated by your agent like that? In public? 

Post#91 » by nickgammon » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:28 pm

Pointgod wrote:A lot of idiots in this thread that don’t understand the job of an agent.


Yep. Rich Paul has to take the hit because AD isn’t really allowed to specifically say who he wants to go to since he’s not a free agent. Since the deadline it’s been pretty clear that his agent has been working to get him to the Lakers.

I’m sure Rich Paul has gotten in his ear about playing with LeBron James and he’s trying to have the best of both worlds, but I also don’t think AD actually wants to be anywhere else.
JeepCSC
Starter
Posts: 2,017
And1: 1,475
Joined: Jul 01, 2014

Re: If you were Anthony Davis, would you like to be manipulated by your agent like that? In public? 

Post#92 » by JeepCSC » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:33 pm

While it’s weird to see a superstar’s friend try to get a deal for a different superstar to join up in a super team, and if I were the Knicks I’d likely feel the game was rigged, it is what it is. Davis knew what he was getting.
Rcomplex
Sophomore
Posts: 105
And1: 201
Joined: Jul 25, 2014
   

Re: If you were Anthony Davis, would you like to be manipulated by your agent like that? In public? 

Post#93 » by Rcomplex » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:39 pm

Roy The Natural wrote:
Saberestar wrote:Come on guys, do you think that Anthony Davis is dumb?

Rich Paul works for A. Davis.

A. Davis wants to play for the Lakers (or Knicks) and Rich Paul is trying to achieve that. As soon as possible.


Probably. He doesn't come off as supremely intelligent. Most of these guys come off as being somewhere between average and well below average when it comes to intelligence. I'd wager that Anthony Davis is dumber than about 90% of the people I work with, for whatever that means. So yea, I'd wager he isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.


He's taller and plays basketball better than me, therefore he must dumb right? People can't excel at multiple things? judging people's intelligence without directly interacting with them sounds like you're overestimating your own intelligence.
User avatar
Meat
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,069
And1: 2,509
Joined: Jun 30, 2013
       

Re: If you were Anthony Davis, would you like to be manipulated by your agent like that? In public? 

Post#94 » by Meat » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:40 pm

Pointgod wrote:A lot of idiots in this thread that don’t understand the job of an agent.

i wonder how many of these guys see a puppet show and think the puppet has magically come to life
durka
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,893
And1: 398
Joined: Jun 26, 2008

Re: If you were Anthony Davis, would you like to be manipulated by your agent like that? In public? 

Post#95 » by durka » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:53 pm

Sulico wrote:
durka wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
So he's adult enough to make sure his agent does right by him but he can't make sure his medical team does right by him because he's not an adult? Which is it? And again it isn't like he would just take ONE paid opinion...again KD has truly as close as there is to unlimited money. He's either an idiot who can't understand what his agent is doing and is being manipulated by everyone around him or he knows how to take advice by people who are experts.

Read on Twitter


Here's an interview of Kevin Durants mother literally saying he played because the doctors decided he was able to and wouldn't have been allowed to make the desicion on his own(3:35). The Warriors are deflecting blame by calling it a collaborative desicion.

Not sure how you can't see the difference in relationships between a player and agent vs player and doctors. One is a player paying someone to maximize their earnings and act on their interests. The other is someone the player goes to for advice and treatment to maximize health. 2 completley different dynamics.


Dude, stop. Hypocrisy is very obvious here. Both men made their choices, nobody did hold a gun to anybody's head.
And social pressure is very subjective thing that every person deal with on daily basis one way or another. We are social creatures, and we hear opinions, advices and social norms from all around us. But every man makes his final call by himself and holds the responsibility for results. If he's man enough ofcourse.

The similarities are 2 basketball players making a choice. The dynamics and factors involved are completely different. If you want to keep attacking me for having differing opinions on 2 totally different situations I'm going to keep defending myself against stupidity.

If you're seriously refuting evidence of KDs mother saying "he played because the doctor told him he could" I'm not really sure what to say. Players don't go play somewhere because an agent tells them too (especially not superstar who can get the max anywhere). You clearly have no understanding of the job of an agent so there's no point in arguing. But one last time, Rich Paul is doing his job right now, which is doing what AD wants him to do. Nobody forced him to sign with Klutch, but any player who does knows that they're signing with an aggresive agent who does what he needs to do to get plauers where they want to be. Players can't be held responsible for medical advice given to them. They aren't trained medical professionals so how the hell are they supposed to know if the advice given to them is correct? KD was told by the team, according to Steve Kerr, "the worst the can happen is you pull your calf". He got incorrect medical advice and played based off that advice. The warriors admitted it, his mother admitted it. He played based off of licsenced professionals advice, where as AD decided he wanted out and hired an agent who would get it done. Not only are the circumstances not the same, they're completely opposite.
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 18,404
And1: 7,182
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: If you were Anthony Davis, would you like to be manipulated by your agent like that? In public? 

Post#96 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:00 pm

durka wrote:
Sulico wrote:
durka wrote:
Read on Twitter


Here's an interview of Kevin Durants mother literally saying he played because the doctors decided he was able to and wouldn't have been allowed to make the desicion on his own(3:35). The Warriors are deflecting blame by calling it a collaborative desicion.

Not sure how you can't see the difference in relationships between a player and agent vs player and doctors. One is a player paying someone to maximize their earnings and act on their interests. The other is someone the player goes to for advice and treatment to maximize health. 2 completley different dynamics.


Dude, stop. Hypocrisy is very obvious here. Both men made their choices, nobody did hold a gun to anybody's head.
And social pressure is very subjective thing that every person deal with on daily basis one way or another. We are social creatures, and we hear opinions, advices and social norms from all around us. But every man makes his final call by himself and holds the responsibility for results. If he's man enough ofcourse.

The similarities are 2 basketball players making a choice. The dynamics and factors involved are completely different. If you want to keep attacking me for having differing opinions on 2 totally different situations I'm going to keep defending myself against stupidity.

If you're seriously refuting evidence of KDs mother saying "he played because the doctor told him he could" I'm not really sure what to say. Players don't go play somewhere because an agent tells them too (especially not superstar who can get the max anywhere). You clearly have no understanding of the job of an agent so there's no point in arguing. But one last time, Rich Paul is doing his job right now, which is doing what AD wants him to do. Nobody forced him to sign with Klutch, but any player who does knows that they're signing with an aggresive agent who does what he needs to do to get plauers where they want to be. Players can't be held responsible for medical advice given to them. They aren't trained medical professionals so how the hell are they supposed to know if the advice given to them is correct? KD was told by the team, according to Steve Kerr, "the worst the can happen is you pull your calf". He got incorrect medical advice and played based off that advice. The warriors admitted it, his mother admitted it. He played based off of licsenced professionals advice, where as AD decided he wanted out and hired an agent who would get it done. Not only are the circumstances not the same, they're completely opposite.


You vette and hire experts to do their jobs. You still make the final calls. Same with a doctor or an agent. Period.
durka
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,893
And1: 398
Joined: Jun 26, 2008

Re: If you were Anthony Davis, would you like to be manipulated by your agent like that? In public? 

Post#97 » by durka » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:05 pm

Sulico wrote:
durka wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
So he's adult enough to make sure his agent does right by him but he can't make sure his medical team does right by him because he's not an adult? Which is it? And again it isn't like he would just take ONE paid opinion...again KD has truly as close as there is to unlimited money. He's either an idiot who can't understand what his agent is doing and is being manipulated by everyone around him or he knows how to take advice by people who are experts.

Read on Twitter


Here's an interview of Kevin Durants mother literally saying he played because the doctors decided he was able to and wouldn't have been allowed to make the desicion on his own(3:35). The Warriors are deflecting blame by calling it a collaborative desicion.

Not sure how you can't see the difference in relationships between a player and agent vs player and doctors. One is a player paying someone to maximize their earnings and act on their interests. The other is someone the player goes to for advice and treatment to maximize health. 2 completley different dynamics.


Dude, stop. Hypocrisy is very obvious here. Both men made their choices, nobody did hold a gun to anybody's head.
And social pressure is very subjective thing that every person deal with on daily basis one way or another. We are social creatures, and we hear opinions, advices and social norms from all around us. But every man makes his final call by himself and holds the responsibility for results. If he's man enough ofcourse.

Dude, stop. Unintelligence and sheer stupidity is obvious here. Drawing parallels from one completely unrelated situation to make your point in another one is a nice example of that.

Kevin Durant was being pressured by media and teammates to play through injury. We all know he heard it. He got bad medical advice and played when he obviously shouldn't have. 99% of player will play in an elimination game if the doctor clears him. He shouldn't have been cleared.

Who was pressuring AD? Do you think he got forced to sign with an agent who has a history of trade requests and aggresive media tactics?
durka
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,893
And1: 398
Joined: Jun 26, 2008

Re: If you were Anthony Davis, would you like to be manipulated by your agent like that? In public? 

Post#98 » by durka » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:10 pm

dhsilv2 wrote:
durka wrote:
Sulico wrote:
Dude, stop. Hypocrisy is very obvious here. Both men made their choices, nobody did hold a gun to anybody's head.
And social pressure is very subjective thing that every person deal with on daily basis one way or another. We are social creatures, and we hear opinions, advices and social norms from all around us. But every man makes his final call by himself and holds the responsibility for results. If he's man enough ofcourse.

The similarities are 2 basketball players making a choice. The dynamics and factors involved are completely different. If you want to keep attacking me for having differing opinions on 2 totally different situations I'm going to keep defending myself against stupidity.

If you're seriously refuting evidence of KDs mother saying "he played because the doctor told him he could" I'm not really sure what to say. Players don't go play somewhere because an agent tells them too (especially not superstar who can get the max anywhere). You clearly have no understanding of the job of an agent so there's no point in arguing. But one last time, Rich Paul is doing his job right now, which is doing what AD wants him to do. Nobody forced him to sign with Klutch, but any player who does knows that they're signing with an aggresive agent who does what he needs to do to get plauers where they want to be. Players can't be held responsible for medical advice given to them. They aren't trained medical professionals so how the hell are they supposed to know if the advice given to them is correct? KD was told by the team, according to Steve Kerr, "the worst the can happen is you pull your calf". He got incorrect medical advice and played based off that advice. The warriors admitted it, his mother admitted it. He played based off of licsenced professionals advice, where as AD decided he wanted out and hired an agent who would get it done. Not only are the circumstances not the same, they're completely opposite.


You vette and hire experts to do their jobs. You still make the final calls. Same with a doctor or an agent. Period.

Kevin Durants mother specifically said he played because the doctors told him to. Are you just ignoring that because it doesn't help you prove your point?

Agents don't decide whether you request a trade. They are your representative to teams and media and do what you tell them to do. Doctors decide whether you're cleared to play whether you want to or not, for example Klay Thompson in game 3. If KD said "clear me or I'm finding another doctor" and that doctor cleared him because of that, that would technically be malpractice and he should lose his license. If a player says request a trade for me and the agent does it, he's doing his job properly.
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 18,404
And1: 7,182
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: If you were Anthony Davis, would you like to be manipulated by your agent like that? In public? 

Post#99 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:08 pm

durka wrote:Dude, stop. Unintelligence and sheer stupidity is obvious here. Drawing parallels from one completely unrelated situation to make your point in another one is a nice example of that.

Kevin Durant was being pressured by media and teammates to play through injury. We all know he heard it. He got bad medical advice and played when he obviously shouldn't have. 99% of player will play in an elimination game if the doctor clears him. He shouldn't have been cleared.

Who was pressuring AD? Do you think he got forced to sign with an agent who has a history of trade requests and aggresive media tactics?


You're claiming it was bad medical advice without knowing if it actually was. You don't know exactly what was said, instead you're at best getting telephone information, I've not once nor would I expect us to hear exactly what the doctors said to him. You're speculating basing everything on events after the fact.

These are hired professionals that give advice, PERIOD. Both players are getting media pressure, fan pressure, peer pressure, parental/family pressure, and personal pressure. They're adults, they have to deal with that in all big boy adult decisions they make.

You're either not explaining your point well at all or you're being intellectually dishonest.
dhsilv2
RealGM
Posts: 18,404
And1: 7,182
Joined: Oct 04, 2015

Re: If you were Anthony Davis, would you like to be manipulated by your agent like that? In public? 

Post#100 » by dhsilv2 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:11 pm

durka wrote:
dhsilv2 wrote:
durka wrote:The similarities are 2 basketball players making a choice. The dynamics and factors involved are completely different. If you want to keep attacking me for having differing opinions on 2 totally different situations I'm going to keep defending myself against stupidity.

If you're seriously refuting evidence of KDs mother saying "he played because the doctor told him he could" I'm not really sure what to say. Players don't go play somewhere because an agent tells them too (especially not superstar who can get the max anywhere). You clearly have no understanding of the job of an agent so there's no point in arguing. But one last time, Rich Paul is doing his job right now, which is doing what AD wants him to do. Nobody forced him to sign with Klutch, but any player who does knows that they're signing with an aggresive agent who does what he needs to do to get plauers where they want to be. Players can't be held responsible for medical advice given to them. They aren't trained medical professionals so how the hell are they supposed to know if the advice given to them is correct? KD was told by the team, according to Steve Kerr, "the worst the can happen is you pull your calf". He got incorrect medical advice and played based off that advice. The warriors admitted it, his mother admitted it. He played based off of licsenced professionals advice, where as AD decided he wanted out and hired an agent who would get it done. Not only are the circumstances not the same, they're completely opposite.


You vette and hire experts to do their jobs. You still make the final calls. Same with a doctor or an agent. Period.

Kevin Durants mother specifically said he played because the doctors told him to. Are you just ignoring that because it doesn't help you prove your point?

Agents don't decide whether you request a trade. They are your representative to teams and media and do what you tell them to do. Doctors decide whether you're cleared to play whether you want to or not, for example Klay Thompson in game 3. If KD said "clear me or I'm finding another doctor" and that doctor cleared him because of that, that would technically be malpractice and he should lose his license. If a player says request a trade for me and the agent does it, he's doing his job properly.


Unless his mother was one of the doctors, I'm not overly concerned with anything she says on the topic.

Agents absolutely help players with decisions. They are advisers first and foremost. They absolutely help with if you should request a trade. They help with what market is best. They help with what brands to endorse. They help with what public events to go to. What charities to support. They help with connecting players to other experts within their network of influence. If that was all agents do, players are getting completely robbed.

Return to The General Board