Update: Kyrie “Prepared” to Sign with Brooklyn Nets

Moderators: Prez, Yuri Vaultin, ken6199, Dirk, Domejandro, bwgood77, zimpy27, BombsquadSammy, GeorgeMarcus, PockyCandy

DarkXaero
General Manager
Posts: 8,862
And1: 2,050
Joined: Mar 25, 2011
   

Re: Update: Kyrie “Prepared” to Sign with Brooklyn Nets 

Post#261 » by DarkXaero » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:30 am

Harden2Dwight wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
BoogieTime wrote:Nets have bad fan support. Competitive team with bottom three attendance is unacceptable

Knicks would be better


raw attendance is idiotic. capacity plays a huge role.


http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance/_/sort/homePct

Even then it's pretty piss poor -- especially when you look at the population of NY Metro and say the Knicks have fans. Brooklyn alone has ~2.5 mil.
Nets weren't expected to be a good team this year, and were a surprise team. If you followed the team, you'd see that the fans attendance grew over the season as the team started winning games, and by end of season, it was really good for a young team with lack of star power.
User avatar
Lucky Clover
Pro Prospect
Posts: 813
And1: 944
Joined: Aug 15, 2013
       

Re: Update: Kyrie “Prepared” to Sign with Brooklyn Nets 

Post#262 » by Lucky Clover » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:33 am

DarkXaero wrote:
Harden2Dwight wrote:
Prokorov wrote: :o
raw attendance is idiotic. capacity plays a huge role.


http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance/_/sort/homePct

Even then it's pretty piss poor -- especially when you look at the population of NY Metro and say the Knicks have fans. Brooklyn alone has ~2.5 mil.
Nets weren't expected to be a good team this year, and were a surprise team. If you followed the team, you'd see that the fans attendance grew over the season as the team started winning games, and by end of season, it was really good for a young team with lack of star power.


I understand that, but to the original posters point, I think the Nets can definitely use some new fan support. Kyrie would certainly help in that regard.
moss_is_1
General Manager
Posts: 9,089
And1: 953
Joined: May 20, 2009
Contact:
   

Re: Update: Kyrie “Prepared” to Sign with Brooklyn Nets 

Post#263 » by moss_is_1 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:15 am

Lunartic wrote:Three dudes that require the ball in their hands but aren't actually dominant

All 3 can play off the ball though. They all can shoot and space the floor. If you have good coaching/system then thats what matters. Since when is having guys who can attack a defense bad?
User avatar
NashtyNas
RealGM
Posts: 10,167
And1: 1,802
Joined: Jun 16, 2008
       

Re: Update: Kyrie “Prepared” to Sign with Brooklyn Nets 

Post#264 » by NashtyNas » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:31 am

The real question is - who is going there with him and are they letting go of Russell?

If so, Russell should be #1 priority for the Suns.

Since Russel is an RFA, the Suns should propose the Nets work out a S&T agreement where the Nets get Warren + a future protected pick from the Suns for Russell.

If the Nets are renouncing him, we should dump Johnson and/or Warren to have enough space to max him.

Russell/Booker is an excellent backcourt to build around, especially if our wings and Ayton can continue to develop.
That'd put us 1 piece away from being exponentially better, IMO.
Image

The underappreciated greats:
Image

Some seek fame cause they need validation, some say hating is confused admiration - Nasty, nasty Nas
FlatearthZorro
RealGM
Posts: 15,843
And1: 7,680
Joined: Feb 12, 2010
Location: Somewhere in Boston
     

Re: Update: Kyrie “Prepared” to Sign with Brooklyn Nets 

Post#265 » by FlatearthZorro » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:39 am

Enjoy the flat earth illuminati, Nets fans. You will either love him or hate him within 6 months of his signing with you. I feel like you'll be sick of his meaningless interview rants within 2-3 months for sure.
Good assessment:

PLO wrote:Tatum played OK - took advantage of a few mismatches - decent on the defensive end. He is what we thought he was going into the season - a technically very proficient player operating close to his career ceiling as a rookie.
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 31,613
And1: 11,815
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: Update: Kyrie “Prepared” to Sign with Brooklyn Nets 

Post#266 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:19 am

jfs1000d wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Lunartic wrote:
"Max Free Agent"

Just because some GM is dumb enough to pay the likes of Tobias Harris and Kyrie max dollars, it does not mean they are capable of carrying a team to the postseason in the West.

That team would get stomped by the 1-4 seeds in both conferences


they would be a 1-4 seed in the east.

nets are a 55 win team with kyrie and tobias

Lol.

The 76ers with butler, embodied and Simmons were 51 wins.

Kyrie and Tobias is about 44 wins. Lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


So a 42 win team that adds Kyrie, an all NBA player, and Tobias Harris, who is a 20/8/3 player on 49/40/87, will only increase their win total by TWO GAMES? IN THE EAST?

The amount of gross ignorance on display here from you is laughable and sad at the same time.
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 31,613
And1: 11,815
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: Update: Kyrie “Prepared” to Sign with Brooklyn Nets 

Post#267 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:23 am

FlatearthZorro wrote:Enjoy the flat earth illuminati, Nets fans. You will either love him or hate him within 6 months of his signing with you. I feel like you'll be sick of his meaningless interview rants within 2-3 months for sure.


As long as he buys into the culture and produces on the court I will not concern myself with his flat earth nonsense. The Nets also have sports psychologists and a focus on mental health and well being within the organization so if he needs some help he can get it here as well.
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 31,613
And1: 11,815
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: Update: Kyrie “Prepared” to Sign with Brooklyn Nets 

Post#268 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:28 am

BoogieTime wrote:Nets have bad fan support. Competitive team with bottom three attendance is unacceptable

Knicks would be better


Yes, Irving choosing a 17 win team over a 42 win team is so much better.
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like
User avatar
BleedGreen1989
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,176
And1: 2,606
Joined: May 18, 2013

Re: Update: Kyrie “Prepared” to Sign with Brooklyn Nets 

Post#269 » by BleedGreen1989 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:49 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:Enjoy the flat earth illuminati, Nets fans. You will either love him or hate him within 6 months of his signing with you. I feel like you'll be sick of his meaningless interview rants within 2-3 months for sure.


As long as he buys into the culture and produces on the court I will not concern myself with his flat earth nonsense. The Nets also have sports psychologists and a focus on mental health and well being within the organization so if he needs some help he can get it here as well.


Eh, I’m quite certain Irving doesn’t believe he needs any help and it the rest of us who in fact just “don’t get it”.

He is also his own “culture”.

I’m honestly happy for Brooklyn if they get him, but Kyrie gonna Kyrie.

I don’t really get it from a basketball perspective though. Isn’t this pretty similar to the situation with the Celtics? Wonder if he’s learned his lesson or if we’re going to hear all year about how Russel, Lavert, Allen, etc “don’t know what it takes to win, need to grow up, blah, blah..”
Spens1
RealGM
Posts: 12,878
And1: 3,423
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
     

Re: Woj: Kyrie and His Longtime Agent Have Parted Ways 

Post#270 » by Spens1 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:56 am

lonzo_pelota wrote:Image
how many more tricks does this flat earther have up his sleeve??


Kyrie, you try to get the sympy of the people, but you don't get my sympy at all

Though related to the gif, if Kyrie did pull that, he'd probably only get a one year max.
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 31,613
And1: 11,815
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: Update: Kyrie “Prepared” to Sign with Brooklyn Nets 

Post#271 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:58 am

BleedGreen1989 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
FlatearthZorro wrote:Enjoy the flat earth illuminati, Nets fans. You will either love him or hate him within 6 months of his signing with you. I feel like you'll be sick of his meaningless interview rants within 2-3 months for sure.


As long as he buys into the culture and produces on the court I will not concern myself with his flat earth nonsense. The Nets also have sports psychologists and a focus on mental health and well being within the organization so if he needs some help he can get it here as well.


Eh, I’m quite certain Irving doesn’t believe he needs any help and it the rest of us who in fact just “don’t get it”.

He is also his own “culture”.

I’m honestly happy for Brooklyn if they get him, but Kyrie gonna Kyrie.

I don’t really get it from a basketball perspective though. Isn’t this pretty similar to the situation with the Celtics? Wonder if he’s learned his lesson or if we’re going to hear all year about how Russel, Lavert, Allen, etc “don’t know what it takes to win, need to grow up, blah, blah..”


I can't speak for what went on with Tatum, Brown, and Rozier but Russell, LeVert, and Allen are all hard working kids. Russell's the more flashy guy but even then he has a sense of humility and just keeps his mouth shut while being supportive of everyone else. The hope would be that Irving would feed off of that, but who knows. I'm just as skeptical as you are.
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like
HeartBreakKid
RealGM
Posts: 16,311
And1: 11,274
Joined: Mar 08, 2012
     

Re: Update: Kyrie “Prepared” to Sign with Brooklyn Nets 

Post#272 » by HeartBreakKid » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:58 am

I'm excited personally, I think Brooklyn could use a star. I do think the Nets potential is pretty much capped unless they land a 2nd guy (Durant's injury limits a viable option for them, as I believe they could have made room for him), but it should be fun to have Irving in Brooklyn. The more good teams in the league the better in my opinion.

I don't think this makes or break the Celtics. The Celtics can still be better than what they were in 2019 just from natural improvement of Tatum/Brown as well as a full recovery from Hayward.
nedleeds
Analyst
Posts: 3,445
And1: 2,808
Joined: Dec 25, 2016
 

Re: Update: Kyrie “Prepared” to Sign with Brooklyn Nets 

Post#273 » by nedleeds » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:16 pm

Thank you Nets I can never repay you! You've saved us from ourselves.
BullyKing
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
Posts: 9,781
And1: 8,992
Joined: Jan 16, 2014

Re: Update: Kyrie “Prepared” to Sign with Brooklyn Nets 

Post#274 » by BullyKing » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:29 pm

Prokorov wrote:
kan_t wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
If the Nets choose to keep Russell along with max free agents, Dinwiddie is gone.

I would not be surprised if Marks trades Dinwiddie AND doesn't keep Dlo. So far rumors still say that they're all in on KD. And they're still $3-4M short to offer him the max (assume Irving takes no discount). Instead of salary dumping the late first round pick and second round pick, trading Dinwiddie would give him a lot more flexibility in roster construction.


if durant comes dinwiddie stays.

dont rule out durant taking less on a 1 + 1 deal with the nets while he rehabs. allows nets to keep russell and kd gets his max deal 1 year later


So now Kyrie, KD, and Tobias are all looking to take less than the max to come to the Nets. Maybe the Nets will also let Klay aboard for the room exception.
NYSixersFan wrote:
the plan is to get as good as quickly as possible....I fully believe we could have been a borderline playoff team last year by adding young veterans....using or draft picks and cap space.....can I specifically tell you who? no.
User avatar
Rockice_24
Starter
Posts: 2,174
And1: 810
Joined: Jun 15, 2011
       

Re: Update: Kyrie “Prepared” to Sign with Brooklyn Nets 

Post#275 » by Rockice_24 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:23 pm

So unless Kyrie goes to a team that can win a chip immediately or teams up with LBJ/Durant he's making a bad move or is an idiot.

Why can't the guy just go to a young up and coming team that is close to home and that he grew up liking as a kid (idolizing J-Kidd). They appear to have teammates like Russell who will embrace him and want him unlike the majority of C's fans and teammates like Rozier who think they are the next Kobe apparently.

People care way to much about what he chooses for himself and his family. Let the guy do what he wants if it makes him happy.

I mean he obviously thinks highly of his game and think he can help BK get better. Oh Nets aren't winning anything by adding Kyrie so they should just not add him then? Are Knicks and C's fans that salty that they have to tear the guy down as a bad person and cancer because he had 1 rough season in BOS and thinks the world is flat.

BK fans should be thrilled to land a top 15 player in the NBA. It makes them a better team then they were last year. If they never win a chip with Kyrie because they can't get past Giannis or Kawhi it still is a good move to bring in high end talent that wants to play with your team.
User avatar
BleedGreen1989
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,176
And1: 2,606
Joined: May 18, 2013

Re: Update: Kyrie “Prepared” to Sign with Brooklyn Nets 

Post#276 » by BleedGreen1989 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:45 pm

Rockice_24 wrote:So unless Kyrie goes to a team that can win a chip immediately or teams up with LBJ/Durant he's making a bad move or is an idiot.

Why can't the guy just go to a young up and coming team that is close to home and that he grew up liking as a kid (idolizing J-Kidd). They appear to have teammates like Russell who will embrace him and want him unlike the majority of C's fans and teammates like Rozier who think they are the next Kobe apparently.

People care way to much about what he chooses for himself and his family. Let the guy do what he wants if it makes him happy.

I mean he obviously thinks highly of his game and think he can help BK get better. Oh Nets aren't winning anything by adding Kyrie so they should just not add him then? Are Knicks and C's fans that salty that they have to tear the guy down as a bad person and cancer because he had 1 rough season in BOS and thinks the world is flat.

BK fans should be thrilled to land a top 15 player in the NBA. It makes them a better team then they were last year. If they never win a chip with Kyrie because they can't get past Giannis or Kawhi it still is a good move to bring in high end talent that wants to play with your team.


I mean, it’s not salt, it’s a reality of the situation.

It’s your friend dating a really beautiful girl, they break up and he tells you what a nightmare she was, she then shows interest in you, and you’re telling your friend until you’re blue in the face despite his warnings “Yeah, but it’ll be different with me. What happened was probably your fault...”
Gooner
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,816
And1: 3,651
Joined: Sep 02, 2018
 

Re: Update: Kyrie “Prepared” to Sign with Brooklyn Nets 

Post#277 » by Gooner » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:48 pm

FlatearthZorro wrote:Enjoy the flat earth illuminati, Nets fans. You will either love him or hate him within 6 months of his signing with you. I feel like you'll be sick of his meaningless interview rants within 2-3 months for sure.


Honestly, I don't expect Kyrie to act the same way next season, wherever that is. He was just too influenced by LeBron, and he tried to do the same thing with the Celtics, and it didn't work. Even LeBron plays those mind games in a more subtle way. Kyrie has definitely damaged his reputation, but I think he will try to repair it next year. It would be a shame for Boston to lose him, I still think that way.
User avatar
SpeedyG
RealGM
Posts: 15,493
And1: 1,302
Joined: Mar 07, 2003

Re: Update: Kyrie “Prepared” to Sign with Brooklyn Nets 

Post#278 » by SpeedyG » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:49 pm

DowJones wrote:I don't understand why Kyrie is going to Brooklyn. It just doesn't make sense. Does he just want to live there? if he struggled to lead Boston, how is he going to lead Brooklyn?
He's not going to be "forced" to lead the Nets. He will just be his weird peculiar self dropping 20 points and 7 assists.

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
User avatar
Rockice_24
Starter
Posts: 2,174
And1: 810
Joined: Jun 15, 2011
       

Re: Update: Kyrie “Prepared” to Sign with Brooklyn Nets 

Post#279 » by Rockice_24 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:53 pm

BleedGreen1989 wrote:
Rockice_24 wrote:So unless Kyrie goes to a team that can win a chip immediately or teams up with LBJ/Durant he's making a bad move or is an idiot.

Why can't the guy just go to a young up and coming team that is close to home and that he grew up liking as a kid (idolizing J-Kidd). They appear to have teammates like Russell who will embrace him and want him unlike the majority of C's fans and teammates like Rozier who think they are the next Kobe apparently.

People care way to much about what he chooses for himself and his family. Let the guy do what he wants if it makes him happy.

I mean he obviously thinks highly of his game and think he can help BK get better. Oh Nets aren't winning anything by adding Kyrie so they should just not add him then? Are Knicks and C's fans that salty that they have to tear the guy down as a bad person and cancer because he had 1 rough season in BOS and thinks the world is flat.

BK fans should be thrilled to land a top 15 player in the NBA. It makes them a better team then they were last year. If they never win a chip with Kyrie because they can't get past Giannis or Kawhi it still is a good move to bring in high end talent that wants to play with your team.


I mean, it’s not salt, it’s a reality of the situation.

It’s your friend dating a really beautiful girl, they break up and he tells you what a nightmare she was, she then shows interest in you, and you’re telling your friend until you’re blue in the face despite his warnings “Yeah, but it’ll be different with me. What happened was probably your fault...”


Whose to say your friend is a great boyfriend. He may be great to watch sports with and drink beers but when it comes to women he doesn't know how to handle them. You are a gentleman and treat her right and she turns out to be a great woman that you want to marry.

Your perception is your realty, not mine.
User avatar
iamworthy
RealGM
Posts: 17,141
And1: 3,875
Joined: Jul 20, 2007
Location: Ring City!!!
   

Re: Update: Kyrie “Prepared” to Sign with Brooklyn Nets 

Post#280 » by iamworthy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:57 pm

The last 10 minutes or so of the Zach Lowe podcast is interesting.

Return to The General Board