Woj: Kawhi still leaning towards Clippers, Raptors have a lot of work to do still

Moderators: Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake

Steelo Green
RealGM
And1: 24,800

Re: Woj: Kawhi still leaning towards Clippers, Raptors have a lot of work to do still 

Post#401 » by Steelo Green » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:26 pm

rockmanslim wrote:
sule wrote:One interesting point that Cris Carter said was that Kawhi stayed with San Diego State even after programs from UCLA et al were recruiting him b/c they believed in him before he won the high school state championship. That he could've left for somewhere else, but didn't b/c of that established trust.

Cris Carter also said he believes Kawhi is going the Clippers.

4:11 Cris talks about how he knows Kawhi personally through his agent.

7:24 Cris thinks it's Kawhi to the Clips.

Carter who said last week it's Raptors no doubt?

The same Carter who said the Raptors are in the drivers seat two weeks ago or he was sure Kawhi won't report?

Guy is a clown.
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,014

Re: Woj: Kawhi still leaning towards Clippers, Raptors have a lot of work to do still 

Post#402 » by rockmanslim » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:35 pm

Steelo Green wrote:
rockmanslim wrote:
sule wrote:One interesting point that Cris Carter said was that Kawhi stayed with San Diego State even after programs from UCLA et al were recruiting him b/c they believed in him before he won the high school state championship. That he could've left for somewhere else, but didn't b/c of that established trust.

Cris Carter also said he believes Kawhi is going the Clippers.

4:11 Cris talks about how he knows Kawhi personally through his agent.

7:24 Cris thinks it's Kawhi to the Clips.

Carter who said last week it's Raptors no doubt?

The same Carter who said the Raptors are in the drivers seat two weeks ago or he was sure Kawhi won't report?

Guy is a clown.

Ok? Tell that to sule, who brought up Carter in the first place.
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

loflin3hree5ive
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 65

Post#403 » by loflin3hree5ive » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:36 pm

Raps won the title but LAC has a superior five year plan. Raps are at their ceiling now. Clips are flush with future picks, cap flexibility and have a backcourt rotation all locked up on rookie/team friendly deals. Not unlike Toronto LAC has a top-flight FO and coaching staff to maximize that potential. Kawhi seems like a pragmatic person so I think he's coming to the Clippers.
Ballerhogger
RealGM
And1: 16,798

Post#404 » by Ballerhogger » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:39 pm

He would be great on the clippers see what happens
Wonderllama
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,401

Post#405 » by Wonderllama » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:42 pm

Kawhi should go to the Lakers. LeBron + Kawhi is a championship duo. Imagine if they could fit in AD somehow...
VanWest82
RealGM
And1: 17,556

Post#406 » by VanWest82 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:52 pm

loflin3hree5ive wrote:Raps won the title but LAC has a superior five year plan. Raps are at their ceiling now. Clips are flush with future picks, cap flexibility and have a backcourt rotation all locked up on rookie/team friendly deals. Not unlike Toronto LAC has a top-flight FO and coaching staff to maximize that potential. Kawhi seems like a pragmatic person so I think he's coming to the Clippers.

I don’t understand how anyone can say the Clippers have a superior five year plan when the Raptors are built to win the title now. Clippers may never be good enough to win with Kawhi. There’s some talent on that team sure, but right now it’s unproven. We already know Siakam and VanVleet can light up a Finals. Also, if I had to bet now Siakam will be better than any player the Clippers are able to pair Kawhi with over the next five years. Bird in the hand...

Clippers have a lot going for them and I don’t mean to diminish that but let’s be real — Kawhi is only going there because it’s LA. Every other consideration is likely a notch on Toronto’s side of equation. Most importantly, they already have Kawhi’s trust and have built good relationships with him up and down the org which isn’t easy and I suspect will count for a lot.

My guess is this will come down to relationships as most things in life do. Kawhi will weigh the relationships he’s built within the the Raptors against those in his inner circle and their wish to move back home. A betting man would probably lean to the inner circle but it’s anyone’s guess.
Steelo Green
RealGM

Post#407 » by Steelo Green » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:55 pm

loflin3hree5ive wrote:Raps won the title but LAC has a superior five year plan. Raps are at their ceiling now. Clips are flush with future picks, cap flexibility and have a backcourt rotation all locked up on rookie/team friendly deals. Not unlike Toronto LAC has a top-flight FO and coaching staff to maximize that potential. Kawhi seems like a pragmatic person so I think he's coming to the Clippers.

This is such a fallacy.

What backcourt rotation? SGA and Shamet? So Kawhi wants to play with a SGA who has proven nothing and an overrated Shamet?

Neither of those guys are better than Siakam.

Cap flexibility? Lowry, Ibaka and Gasol are all FA next offseason, that's 60 million off the books.

Kawhi can run it back, then there's cap space, a young star in Siakam, and a better player than Shamet in OG, who I don't even put in a discussion because no star player in their prime says I'm excited to wait on two rookies to become stars? And this too Shai who averaged 11-3-2? He could be a star, sure, but to think he's going to be that now is laughable.

People have this bizarre view of reality.

If Kawhi leaves for LAC, it is only because it is LA, it has nothing to do with organization or talent because Toronto trumps them in every facet on that end. Kawhi has already won with this group, has an already budding young star, with a veteran group of star/former stars, a Fred who was one of the best players in the finals who is also young. They run it back and then they have cap space after another run to go get more stars and re-tool.

This Shamet as a key cog discussion is hilarious. SGA is solid but to think he is swaying Kawhi's decision is baffling.
Harcore Fenton Mun
RealGM
And1: 7,678

Post#408 » by Harcore Fenton Mun » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:11 pm

The Raps know how to win at the highest level. Now.

If Kawhi is "about winning" why would he go to a team who hasn't made it out of the second round. I mean, the third round would be way off the deep end for that franchise. They still have a lot of growing to do. He would have to invest multiple years for them to get to where we are now. There is no second star like KD that is coming with him, he would be doing this by himself.
PrinceV
Rookie
And1: 697

Post#409 » by PrinceV » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:13 pm

He can be King of the North or be a shadow to Lebron.
loflin3hree5ive
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 65

Post#410 » by loflin3hree5ive » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:04 pm

Steelo Green wrote:

This is such a fallacy.

What backcourt rotation? SGA and Shamet? So Kawhi wants to play with a SGA who has proven nothing and an overrated Shamet?

Cap flexibility? Lowry, Ibaka and Gasol are all FA next offseason, that's 60 million off the books.

Kawhi can run it back, then there's cap space, a young star in Siakam, and a better player than Shamet in OG, who I don't even put in a discussion because no star player in their prime says I'm excited to wait on two rookies to become stars? And this too Shai who averaged 11-3-2? He could be a star, sure, but to think he's going to be that now is laughable.

If Kawhi leaves for LAC, it is only because it is LA, it has nothing to do with organization or talent because Toronto trumps them in every facet on that end. Kawhi has already won with this group, has an already budding young star, with a veteran group of star/former stars, a Fred who was one of the best players in the finals who is also young. They run it back and then they have cap space after another run to go get more stars and re-tool.

This Shamet as a key cog discussion is hilarious. SGA is solid but to think he is swaying Kawhi's decision is baffling.

SGA, Shamet, Lou Williams and Jerome Robinson is the backcourt rotation I'm referring to.

The rookie season stats don't tell the whole story for the young guys. Watch their tape in the GS series. Clutch buckets, solid D and most important great decision making. Each generally played with the confidence and smarts that any intelligent player like Kawhi would take notice of and value.

Siakam is 4 1/2 years older than SGA btw. If you like your boy in his age 25 season you'll love SGA in his.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,127

Post#411 » by clyde21 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:08 pm

loflin3hree5ive wrote:
Steelo Green wrote:

This is such a fallacy.

SGA, Shamet, Lou Williams and Jerome Robinson is the backcourt rotation I'm referring to.

The rookie season stats don't tell the whole story for the young guys. Watch their tape in the GS series. Clutch buckets, solid D and most important great decision making. Each generally played with the confidence and smarts that any intelligent player like Kawhi would take notice of and value.

Siakam is 4 1/2 years older than SGA btw. If you like your boy in his age 25 season you'll love SGA in his.

u think Kawhi is thinking about what SGA is gonna look like in 4 years? :lol:
Steelo Green
RealGM

Woj: Kawhi still leaning towards Clippers, Raptors have a lot of work to do still 

Post#412 » by Steelo Green » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:17 pm

loflin3hree5ive wrote:
Steelo Green wrote:

This is such a fallacy.

How homer can you be?

Shamet should not even be in any discussion. I don't even put OG in that discussion and you can put a poll out and everyone would pick OG over Shamet.

Are we really talking about 21 year old Jerome Robinson who averaged 3 points?

The GSW series means little. Last year Jaylen Brown and Rozier looked incredible too, better than all three you listed, and in the case of Robinson... he averaged 3 points.

Shamet shot 34%..

Shai, was solid, but I don't think Kawhi is thinking man, that was a solid series from Shai, I pick him and a bunch of role players over a team that already won a title. At this point for Shai to be as good as Siakam in his prime would be a success. Siakam scored finals winning buckets.

You're insanely overrating your prospects, and can't take the homer glasses off. No one looks at anyone except SGA on the Clippers, and Kawhi is not thinking me and SGA in 4 years (when Kawhi is 31) is going to be big. He wants to win today, and the Raptors are easily better today and he has a current rising star to do it.

I've seen people get high on their guys but this is ridiculous.

Kawhi if he leaves is because he wants to be in LA, basketball reasons from health, to team, to winning, literally everything minus it being LA, he has in Toronto.
B-Ball Freak
RealGM
And1: 11,433

Post#413 » by B-Ball Freak » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:28 pm

Harcore Fenton Mun wrote:The Raps know how to win at the highest level. Now.

If Kawhi is "about winning" why would he go to a team who hasn't made it out of the second round. I mean, the third round would be way off the deep end for that franchise. They still have a lot of growing to do. He would have to invest multiple years for them to get to where we are now. There is no second star like KD that is coming with him, he would be doing this by himself.

If Kawhi leaves Toronto after just winning the championship and all the load management the staff provided him with, then it would be obvious that he just one hundred percent wanted to go back home, assuming he signs with the Clippers...cant really be mad at him for wanting to play out his career near his hometown.
Cobra Kawhi
Veteran
And1: 5,957

Post#414 » by Cobra Kawhi » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:34 pm

There is just too many fallacies in this post. I think my screen cracked reading this.
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,101

Post#415 » by Slim Charless » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:35 pm

Lockdown wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
Lockdown wrote:
I’m pretty sure it would mean he doesn’t want to have to carry the load at both ends the way he had to this postseason because it’s a massive strain on his body, he couldn’t even dunk in the Finals. They need to get another consistent star. They also were fortunate to run up against a depleted team - that’s part of the game, but you need to do something to convince him it’s repeatable.

They also need to convince him the team isn’t a year or so away from Gasol/Lowry/Ibaka/Green being over the hill. Just saying “we have cap space next summer” isn’t enough, it’s no guarantee of anything.

That said, I think everyone who thinks the Clippers are a pre-baked contender who just need to add Kawhi are overrating them. They overachieved in a season where half the West had a weirdly bad year. Everyone’s talking about Doc Rivers being this master coach, but unless he has prime KG, overachieving with underdog teams seems to be all he really accomplishes. The Celtics let him walk & were fine, while the Lob City era Clippers never once got out of the second round.
Didn't the Raptors get out of the 2nd round just once despite being in the east? It's crazy how one break through (almost lost to Sixers also) and suddenly Raptors can teach everyone how to win lol. They were universally considered a treadmill team and 2nd round fizz out the last few years

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using RealGM mobile app

If they were adding Kawhi to the lob city team then you’d have a point.

Ya that clipper team + Kawhu wins a title. This clippers team plus Kawhi. Meh. They can do 2nd round, maybe conference championship game depending on the match ups but Klay will be healthy by playoff time. I dont think they beat that warrior team. Im not sure they beat Denver either if MPJ can play and is a good as everyone says he is...
Slim Charless
General Manager
And1: 6,101

Post#416 » by Slim Charless » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:37 pm

ClipsFanSince98 wrote:
XxIronChainzxX wrote:
ClipsFanSince98 wrote:Maybe not. I do think young players with upside to be a star potentially, or at least great starter for many years in the Mike Conley mold, should be a factor. It's short sighted IMO to only look at veteran established players. Gotta consider upside.

PS.. SGA should of been first team. Sure his stats weren't huge, but they are in line with multiple great rookie PG's learning the position. He was the only rookie to start on a playoff team and was a huge factor this year.

Your young players are too young, IMO. If Kawhi comes, the Clippers are better off looking for a trade. Kawhi played through a great deal of pain to win this title - he was visibly limping and stopped hiding the fact that he was in a lot of pain. Can SGA be the #2 guy on a title team next year, or the year after that? Kawhi is an incredible player, and I think every Raptor fan would give him the supermax to go put up 2 points on 10% shooting for the next 5 years for this title, but from the Clippers' title hopes POV I'd be worried about the leap the guys need to make to contend.

That being said, with GSW going down completely the West is absolutely wide open. If AD doesn't go to LA and Bulter stays in Philly, then I think the Clippers could win the title next season with Kawhi.
This is fair, thanks for the post. I do agree Kawhi would need to be patient for probably 2-3 years if he joined Clips. I already admitted previously Raptors have legit 2-3 year window NOW. Clips would be more a gamble based on the kids panning out as you mentioned. I think they will, but maybe Kawhi's quad doesn't hold up 2-3 years though?

IF Kawhi is coming, I would be okay with packaging SGA+Harrell+Robinson and multiple 1sts for AD. So Kawhi's prime is maximized. Pelicans have great interest in SGA, but Clips don't wanna empty cupboard for just 1 star who easily walks next summer.

Thatd be interesting if you guys traded for AD. I wonder how RP would handle that? He got LA- just not the team he wanted. I think AD would resign with the clips
The Box Office
Starter
And1: 1,370

Post#417 » by The Box Office » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:41 pm

K
Agreed. Kawhi got his mind made up a long time ago. Cris Carter is correct. Kawhi is gone to the Clippers.

There is no race between Toronto and Los Angeles. The media is just playing it up to get ratings and have something to talk about to fill the air time.
nitocobola
Veteran
And1: 1,242

Post#418 » by nitocobola » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:46 pm

He shouldn't leave toronto, but yeah that's not a surprise. Nba sucks
bluemj32
Rookie
And1: 927

Post#419 » by bluemj32 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:18 pm

What is Woj supposed to do? It's his job, is it annoying as the fan base that it's going against yes, but it's what we want as fans to get more insight & have cooler talk etc.

I personally love the off season drama reports etc, it's what makes the NBA exciting after theirs no bball.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using RealGM mobile app
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,318

Post#420 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:23 pm

This end game line up could be very dangerous: sga, Lou Williams, Harrell, Gallo, and kawhi or if Beverley re-signs or shamet has it going. People knock the clippers but that line up would give anybody trouble

Return to The General Board