End of the superteam era?

Moderators: PockyCandy, ken6199, bwgood77, BombsquadSammy, Domejandro, Prez, Dirk, zimpy27, Yuri Vaultin

Warriorfan
RealGM
Posts: 11,242
And1: 1,460
Joined: Jun 24, 2001
         

Re: End of the superteam era? 

Post#21 » by Warriorfan » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:29 pm

It's a players driven league where it only take acquiring 1 , a superstar, to be a perennial playoff team 2 to contend.

So drafting well gives the best window. free agency is quick but how many times has it worked getting 2 stars who have played 7-10 yrs.
User avatar
Raps in 4
RealGM
Posts: 42,381
And1: 27,907
Joined: Nov 01, 2008
Location: Toronto
 

Re: End of the superteam era? 

Post#22 » by Raps in 4 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:34 pm

No. Super teams are still the easiest path to a championship. The only way to stop them is through new salary cap rules.
Kawhi Hands
Veteran
Posts: 2,981
And1: 4,065
Joined: Jul 04, 2012

Re: End of the superteam era? 

Post#23 » by Kawhi Hands » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:35 pm

for as long as queen james is in the league, it wont end. once that clown retires it should settle down. until then, everyone wants him to stack his team as it's the only way he can win a ring.
User avatar
Johnny Bball
RealGM
Posts: 20,116
And1: 18,657
Joined: Feb 01, 2015
 

Re: End of the superteam era? 

Post#24 » by Johnny Bball » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:37 pm

Players that stack teams in free agency will continue to feel the wrath of fans for upsetting the regular amount of parity that should exist. Their choice really. But it will continue to be a problem for everyone.
r0drig0lac
Veteran
Posts: 2,978
And1: 2,920
Joined: Dec 24, 2015
 

Re: End of the superteam era? 

Post#25 » by r0drig0lac » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:47 pm

Rainwater wrote:Lol wait until the off season begins, one can be created.

or 2, or 3...unfortunately I do not believe this will end, the players mentality has changed, so it's just a matter of opportunity (or creating opportunities as in the case of Miami)
OriginalRed
Junior
Posts: 327
And1: 557
Joined: Mar 16, 2017
       

Re: End of the superteam era? 

Post#26 » by OriginalRed » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:54 pm

Statlanta wrote:
OriginalRed wrote: the Warriors are the ones who should have gotten swept by the Raptors without KD if the Raptors hadn't made such mental errors in Game 5 and scored a few points during that 18-0 in Game 2.


The Raptors lost to the worst division winner in recent history on their homecourt. They are not sweeping nobody.


Again, they should have but they didn't and yet were still in full position to do so if they didn't make such mental **** ups down the stretch.
User avatar
TA42
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,766
And1: 688
Joined: Sep 11, 2004
Location: MA
     

Re: End of the superteam era? 

Post#27 » by TA42 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:54 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:No. Super teams are still the easiest path to a championship. The only way to stop them is through new salary cap rules.


I could see the league trying to implement rules to force more parity but honestly how do you stop it?

If the league says you can't have more than 2 max salary slots on a team they'll just take a bit less to team up. League could try a hard cap but the players association would never allow it, etc.

I suppose you could have a rule that states you're not allowed to trade for or sign a player that placed on an all-nba team the prior year if you already have a player that placed on the team. Again though I think the players union would fight against it based on limiting the players ability in free agency.

What are some good ideas to limit the "super team" concept?
User avatar
Cactus Jack
RealGM
Posts: 15,946
And1: 7,846
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Location: NBA team was stolen
     

Re: End of the superteam era? 

Post#28 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:25 pm

Hell no. This generation of players want to play together. Super-teams aren't going away any time soon.
Waylanderz wrote:Seattle. That fan base deserves their team back.

Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
User avatar
Lalouie
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,662
And1: 2,308
Joined: May 12, 2017

Re: End of the superteam era? 

Post#29 » by Lalouie » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:05 pm

Black Jack wrote:Since the KG / Ray Allen / Pierce / Rondo Celtics the superteam led by three allstars, one of which (at least) is an MVP level player has been the fashionable model. The LeBron / Wade / Bosh Heatles, then the Curry / Durant / Klay / Dray Warriors won rings with two MVP level players, and at least one other all star (and stealth assassin Igoudala).

Now the Kawhi Raptors have shown that one superstar and one all star, plus a deep veteran supporting cast can win. I see a lot of people saying it's better to have more good role players than an all star starting cast.

The problem with superteams seems to be weak supporting casts create the need for too many minutes by the primary players, leading to injuries and fatigue. Also, cap management becomes nearly impossible with three guys wanting max deals, and only super wealthy teams led by multi-billionaires like Lacob can consider paying the repeater tax.

The Warriors were/are a fluke based on weak ankled Curry who was not considered an elite force, signing a cheap deal, Draymond coming out of nowhere, the cap anomoly the year Durant signed. Now I see people saying one of the four has to go, perhaps a Draymond trade, otherwise Warriors will have insane tax to pay. It seem to be the consensus a superteam is too hard to put together. Only dumb money like the Knicks are still hoping to do it via free agency.

So...is this the end of the superteam era? Or are the Kawhi Raps a one hit wonder like the Dirk Mavs?


the connotation of a "superteam" is a team of all stars that's NOT organically grown.

it's an all star team built to compete to compete in a non-all star environment. as opposed to say "the dream team" built to compete on a world stage of all star teams from other countries. so in an nba sense, a superteam seeks to distort the playing field. i do not believe that was the intent of the kg/pierce celts as opposed to the miami team.

gsw became a superteam when they signed kd. however, as been opined, they were already a legit organically great team before kd. they're not like the lebron miami lebron cavs teams.
lebron is trying to put one together now - he'll fail
nyk is trying and that's all,,,,"trying"

i think the term has already been overused and overplayed to death. no one else is trying to put together a "superteam". well, maybe philly has been trying, but that's one team and they're fake anyway. it is an impossible task. lebron/wade/bosh were BUDDIES, so let's start with that - he never pulled one together in cleveland before miami, did he. and i think lebron is the only one with the gonads to try to pull it off. it's one reason why he is not liked - there's a certain kind of hubris to the attempt.

another thing superteams are not traded for. they're all star FA's who group willingly and by design.

anyway to answer your question...there has never been this "movement" to forming superteams in the first place
User avatar
Black Jack
Veteran
Posts: 2,915
And1: 3,777
Joined: Jan 24, 2013
Location: A long way from Starbucks homey
     

Re: End of the superteam era? 

Post#30 » by Black Jack » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:07 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Hell no. This generation of players want to play together. Super-teams aren't going away any time soon.


If the "Raptors model" catches on it will. Guys will decide that having 3 max contracts with a bunch of low level hangers on won't get them a ring so they'll focus on joining teams with strong supporting casts.
Thank you, KD

this my word: viewtopic.php?p=50106699#p50106699
User avatar
Chuck Everett
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,866
And1: 4,045
Joined: May 28, 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:
   

Re: End of the superteam era? 

Post#31 » by Chuck Everett » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:31 pm

Vegas stole a lot of people's money. I picked the Raptors in 6 or 7, once I realized Durant wasn't playing (unfortunate injury aside). It would have been 5 games if Durant didn't gamble with his career, but oh well. Warriors only became a superteam when Durant joined them, because Curry and Klay are not very consistent game to game come playoff wise. They are totally capable of shooting 3-19 or 6-21 in multiple games.
User avatar
Cactus Jack
RealGM
Posts: 15,946
And1: 7,846
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Location: NBA team was stolen
     

Re: End of the superteam era? 

Post#32 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:36 pm

Black Jack wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Hell no. This generation of players want to play together. Super-teams aren't going away any time soon.


If the "Raptors model" catches on it will. Guys will decide that having 3 max contracts with a bunch of low level hangers on won't get them a ring so they'll focus on joining teams with strong supporting casts.

What exactly is that model?

At the end of the day, stars still want to play with other stars. Does Anthony Davis prefer to go to L.A., so that he can play with the likes of Kuzma, Ball or Ingram??? Or does he want to go to the Lakers because of the pull of Lebron? :wink:

You may not get 3 or more Stars on one team. But, a "Super Team" may only involve/need 2. With of course a strong supporting cast.

Toronto got some very fortunate breaks "Luck" along the way (Warrior injuries). Kawhi is a top 5 player. But, tbh most years that team wouldn't win the title (Sorry Canada). :wink:
Waylanderz wrote:Seattle. That fan base deserves their team back.

Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
reignfire
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,717
And1: 755
Joined: Aug 01, 2012

Re: End of the superteam era? 

Post#33 » by reignfire » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:37 pm

Superteams make sustained success easier.

You still want multiple great players on your team.
User avatar
Optms
RealGM
Posts: 13,842
And1: 4,671
Joined: Jun 11, 2009
 

Re: End of the superteam era? 

Post#34 » by Optms » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:37 pm

NeutralObserver wrote:This dude and the media have been congruently lobbying for a superteam since he got to L.A and there's NO END in sight.

Image


Lebron just went to LA to chill, bro

Stop spreading fake news
User avatar
John Murdoch
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,975
And1: 3,620
Joined: Sep 16, 2013
         

Re: End of the superteam era? 

Post#35 » by John Murdoch » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:02 pm

Who cares? Teams that play 11 deep are running things now . Defense is still very much at the for front and if you can assemble a group that genuinly like playing together with one superstar anything can happen
Blackification wrote:I **** hate that crackhead corey brewer
Dan Z
Head Coach
Posts: 7,018
And1: 2,303
Joined: Feb 19, 2002
Location: Chicago
 

Re: End of the superteam era? 

Post#36 » by Dan Z » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:28 pm

israelfirst wrote:raps winning the title in 2019 is like the spurs winning in 2014 and the mavs in 2011. It is a flash in the pan and everything will go back to normal next season. Sixers have a super team in the east and will probably win next year.


If Kawhi re-signs with the Raptors then I wouldn't count them out. They can beat anyone. Will they? Probably not, but we'll have to wait and see.
User avatar
Cactus Jack
RealGM
Posts: 15,946
And1: 7,846
Joined: Feb 25, 2015
Location: NBA team was stolen
     

Re: End of the superteam era? 

Post#37 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:51 pm

Black Jack wrote:Since the KG / Ray Allen / Pierce / Rondo Celtics the superteam led by three allstars, one of which (at least) is an MVP level player has been the fashionable model. The LeBron / Wade / Bosh Heatles, then the Curry / Durant / Klay / Dray Warriors won rings with two MVP level players, and at least one other all star (and stealth assassin Igoudala).

Now the Kawhi Raptors have shown that one superstar and one all star, plus a deep veteran supporting cast can win. I see a lot of people saying it's better to have more good role players than an all star starting cast.

The problem with superteams seems to be weak supporting casts create the need for too many minutes by the primary players, leading to injuries and fatigue. Also, cap management becomes nearly impossible with three guys wanting max deals, and only super wealthy teams led by multi-billionaires like Lacob can consider paying the repeater tax.

The Warriors were/are a fluke based on weak ankled Curry who was not considered an elite force, signing a cheap deal, Draymond coming out of nowhere, the cap anomoly the year Durant signed. Now I see people saying one of the four has to go, perhaps a Draymond trade, otherwise Warriors will have insane tax to pay. It seem to be the consensus a superteam is too hard to put together. Only dumb money like the Knicks are still hoping to do it via free agency.

So...is this the end of the superteam era? Or are the Kawhi Raps a one hit wonder like the Dirk Mavs?

Image
Waylanderz wrote:Seattle. That fan base deserves their team back.

Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
User avatar
Jenga_tDot
Veteran
Posts: 2,900
And1: 4,522
Joined: Feb 17, 2014
     

Re: End of the superteam era? 

Post#38 » by Jenga_tDot » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:57 pm

LeBron and the Lakers say no.
**** them
avatar creds to webeye
User avatar
Winsome Gerbil
RealGM
Posts: 12,293
And1: 8,888
Joined: Feb 07, 2010

Re: End of the superteam era? 

Post#39 » by Winsome Gerbil » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:58 pm

The superteam era MIGHT end when the last of the banana boat generation of hyperpolitical players who think they are their own "brand" above team or loyalty etc. retires. It was a mentality born of that era, and LeBron has continued to spawn them in location after location. When he and CP3 are gone, I'm not sure who else will have bother the clout and desire to do so.
User avatar
Optms
RealGM
Posts: 13,842
And1: 4,671
Joined: Jun 11, 2009
 

Re: End of the superteam era? 

Post#40 » by Optms » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:59 pm

Good thing KD and Klay are out for the year, their lives will be spared

Curry and company though will take the whip

Return to The General Board