Woj: Anthony Davis Traded to Lakers for Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball, Josh Hart, & Three 1st Rnd Picks - including #4

Moderators: Harry Garris, ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285

Winner

New Orleans Pelicans
30%
Los Angeles Lakers
32%
Both
33%
Neither
4%

Total votes: 540

TheRealKaboom
Sixth Man
And1: 1,716

Re: Woj: Anthony Davis Traded to Lakers for Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball, Josh Hart, & Three 1st Rnd Picks - including #4 

Post#961 » by TheRealKaboom » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:10 pm

Howard Mass wrote:
NPZ wrote:
Howard Mass wrote:The Pelicans did great on The Draft Pick haul.

Not only did they get one pick outright past 2021 but those pick swaps will come in handy for New Orleans.

HOWARD!!!1

Your Lakers get another contender in the short run though.

The "short run"? AD is 26 years old :lol:
Mind_Odyssey
Analyst
And1: 4,957

Re: Woj: Anthony Davis Traded to Lakers for Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball, Josh Hart, & Three 1st Rnd Picks - including #4 

Post#962 » by Mind_Odyssey » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:11 pm

Woj is higher than a kite. He claims this will make the Hornets a formidable team in the western conference.

Regardless, it’s time to tank.
afarmenian
Analyst
And1: 3,504

Post#963 » by afarmenian » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:17 pm

lamscott wrote:If David Griffin is such a great GM, why did he get fired from the Cavs?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

He didn't get fired. His contract was up and they couldn't come to an agreement on a new contract so he moved on. There were also rumblings that Dan wanted to be a part of picking players and trades and he didn't have true final say so that probably paid a part in wanting more money for the aggravation.
Mind_Odyssey
Analyst
And1: 4,957

Post#964 » by Mind_Odyssey » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:17 pm

JayMKE wrote:Lonzo, Ingram, Hart are not very good. RealGM overrates future draft picks a lot.Lakers laughing all the way to the bank.

This is how I feel. Pelicans are screwed.

They won’t be able to tank and get Zion a proper sidekick next year.
phraoh
Sixth Man
And1: 714

Post#965 » by phraoh » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:19 pm

Laker fans...really...I am not trying to be obnoxious, but why do you think the Lakers will be good in 2021-2025? Because they have AD? Odds are very high they either will NOT have Lebron or he will be what 38 years old? You think he will still be a superstar? I guess they could be good...but after AD resigns...what Lebron and him will be making 70-75 mill between them...what's left to fill the roster?
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,238

Post#966 » by amcoolio » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:21 pm

jpengland wrote:
Lost Angel wrote:plenty of guys will want to come in free agency.

Losing all of those picks (and the swaps?!) hurts. But if the Lakers sign another great player, I’m sure we’ll see a lot of vets sign for ultra cheap.

It’s the definition of a boom or bust trade for both teams.

AD is a rare player and Lakers just snagged him in his prime. Without giving up a good 3rd option in Kuzma

AD/Wagner
Kuzma
LeBron
?
?/?/Bonga

A lot of work to do but we got 27-32M to do it.

Plenty?

With the room exception? The league isn't even awash with ring chasers like it was a few years ago.

Not to mention most the league doesn't want to play with Lebron after how poorly he has treated his teammates. I would be shocked if Kemba or any big name free agent besides Kyrie goes there. The lack of picks as cheap rotation players hurts as well, plus they have zero assets unless they flip Kuzma for 2-3 good rotation players.
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Side beard
Analyst
And1: 2,298

Post#967 » by Side beard » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:29 pm

phraoh wrote:Laker fans...really...I am not trying to be obnoxious, but why do you think the Lakers will be good in 2021-2025? Because they have AD? Odds are very high they either will NOT have Lebron or he will be what 38 years old? You think he will still be a superstar? I guess they could be good...but after AD resigns...what Lebron and him will be making 70-75 mill between them...what's left to fill the roster?

Do you really think majority of LA fans care about 21-25? They got AD. They now the champs. Premature everything.
canadiansporter
Rookie
And1: 873

Re: [WOJ] AD to LAL 

Post#968 » by canadiansporter » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:30 pm

azcatz11 wrote:Terrible deal for the Lakers wtf

How so? AD's ceiling is a lot higher than any of those young guys .. so even after LeBron's contract, you can build around him.

I don't see Zo or BI becoming top 5 player in the league at any point in time in their careers....
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#969 » by dautjazz » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:08 pm

Ben Simmons wrote:Lakers and Houston are both capable of winning the West, especially Houston, but both teams are injury-prone :)

We could probably say the same about the Sixers..
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
dautjazz
RealGM

Post#970 » by dautjazz » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:13 pm

itsme23 wrote:So Lebron you need more help?

This is why people love Jordan more than you.

You know that Jordan didn't do anything until he had Pippen right? He had a lot of depth too in all his championship teams. Don't act like Lebron had a chance with the team as it was, it was at best a 2nd round exit.
NickAnderson wrote:

dautjazz
RealGM

Post#971 » by dautjazz » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:25 pm

LKN wrote:Lakers had to do this....next year may be the last chance given Lebron's age.

It still remains to be seen how good they will be since they have nothing much other than AD and Lebron right now. Not sure how I feel about what the Pelicans did..... Ingram does have potential if he stays healthy. I think Ball may bust, but I'm no expert and may be proven wrong. I do think extracting more picks instead of Kuzma was a smart move

For sure. The #4 is valuable, but the other two will be at the tail end of the first round. I looked back the last 5 drafts, and was pretty surprised to see Siakam, Capela, Bogdanović, and Kuzma were all in that range, but still that's 4 steals in 35 picks (25-30), the other ones were not key role players. You usually get someone who doesn't go beyond a rookie contract in that range. Then like you said, there may be some potential in Ball and Ingram, but you can't sit on your hands with Lebron, you got a depreciating asset, you need to surround him with atleast one star now. Now that they got AD, others will come. Essentially it's a win-win, the Pelicans get a good pick in the #4, and if they are lucky some of the other assets they picks up work out for them, but they had to get rid of AD.
NickAnderson wrote:

TdotRap4Lyfe
General Manager
And1: 5,079

Post#972 » by TdotRap4Lyfe » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:27 pm

I just saw the protection and time of the picks, Pels have absolutely won this deal. LeBron, and possibly even AD will be gone by the time all those picks are conveyed...
Credits to Jstock12
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,409

Post#973 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:30 pm

What happens if Ingram fails his physical?
MaltonMavericks
Senior
And1: 490

Post#974 » by MaltonMavericks » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:31 pm

Lakers for FLEECED traded all their youth. If you have given up in Lonzo and BI your crazy. Plus these picks. Listen AD is a BEAST but they gutted the entire team. Pels have a reallly bright future.
Doug_12
Senior
And1: 440

Post#975 » by Doug_12 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:32 pm

phraoh wrote:Laker fans...really...I am not trying to be obnoxious, but why do you think the Lakers will be good in 2021-2025? Because they have AD? Odds are very high they either will NOT have Lebron or he will be what 38 years old? You think he will still be a superstar? I guess they could be good...but after AD resigns...what Lebron and him will be making 70-75 mill between them...what's left to fill the roster?

Even if the Lakers will be bad by that time the 2021&'24 1st rounders and the pick swaps in 2023 and 2025 would not have really changed this...

The fact that we may have a star in 2021 whom others can pair up with worths much more. We have been bad since 2013 and look at what our picks turned out to be - if we had kept them:
2013-Karasev
2014-Randle
2015-Russell
2016-Ingram
2017-Ball
2018-Bridges

Out of that list no-one seems to be a franchise player for a contender, and none of them is a player that can convince another star to join him to win a championship. Some of them has still potential, and statistically 1 or 2 of them will be a 1-2x All Star but nothing much. On average they are quality starters and good role players for a team who wants to contend.

To answer: In case Davis signs the extension I expect us to have 1-2 rebuilding years after Lebron leaves (maybe around 2022). There we will get rid of our contracts we are going to hoard in the upcoming 2 years and then we will try to hunt 1-2 max FAs to team up w/ 30 year old Davis. (If we sign someone, let's say in Kyrie's caliber now, then it will be easier in 2024 - but then we will have only one slot for a max FA...).
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#976 » by Max Power » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:33 pm

Obviously for the Lakers this is a tremendous deal. They get their newest alpha for the future. LeBrons not going to be getting better folks. He’s 35 and last season he proved to be mortal by missing a large chunk of the season. This is going to be Davis’ team sooner rather than later. The Lakers have three years to snatch a couple rings in my opinion, but it’s far from a done deal. The W’s will still have a big say in who wins the championship as well as where ever Kawhi Leonard ends up. Obviously whatever 3rd star the Lakers pick up and Davis are the Lakers future.

As for the Pelican, they got a pretty full cupboard to work with although if I’m David Griffin, I force Kuzma and or Zubac into that deal. Ingram and Ball are far from sure things, Hart is a good reserve but a reserve. I’m not even sure Lonzo beats out Elfrid Payton on their depth chart. I won’t be surprised either if the Pelicans trade number for to get a proven talent at the center spot or the 3.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
Smirk
Starter
And1: 1,594

Post#977 » by Smirk » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:36 pm

I see a lot of people aren’t aware of just how bad the draft pick protections and deferments are for the Lakers. They weren’t first reported so people outside of NOLA don’t know.

The Lakers can’t trade a FRP pre-draft until potentially 2027. Think about that.
dautjazz
RealGM

Post#978 » by dautjazz » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:41 pm

spikeslovechild wrote:
BuddyBuckets wrote:I can't believe this was the best offer out there.

What do we actually know about Ingram's situation? Any Ingram fans out there that can fill me in?

Is Ball going to whinge the whole time? I kinda like his game if magically he got his shot to fall.

These trades never work in a the other teams favor but it's easy the biggest return for a superstar the last couple of years. Lets be real the Butler, George, and Kawhi trades were garbage in comparison.

Indiana did great, at the time it didn't look like much, they got Oladipo and Sabonis. I'll take that package over this one. San Antonio didn't pretty well too, Derozan had a great year. Give me an All-Star over some big package of role players and late first round picks. Minnesota did pretty weak IMO.
NickAnderson wrote:

Fattz
Junior
And1: 12

Post#979 » by Fattz » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:42 pm

New Orleans got the most they possibly could for a player that was gone in less than year anyway. They are in a better spot than they were in, a talented big to build around. AD vs Zion. But wait there is more. 3 FRP (#4 this year) plus 2 starters (high draft choices on rookie contracts) and 1 rotation worthy player plus the rest of their talent and picks, too. They are in a better spot then Boston was a few years back because they are starting off with a lot better talent in the rebuilding process. Look for the pelicans to be champions and for a long time.
petebraun0
Senior
And1: 210

Post#980 » by petebraun0 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:44 pm

lakerz12 wrote:Realistically, how many first round picks does it take to draft a player equal to AD?

10-15? Assuming someone that good even comes along again in the next 15 years and you're in position to draft him.

Zion will be almost as good as AD. and with their number 4 pick and future picks, they will be able to surround him with a great supporting cast.

Return to The General Board