Stein: Celtics Refused to Include Jayson Tatum in Anthony Davis Trade

Moderators: ken6199, Dirk, bisme37, KingDavid, bwgood77, zimpy27, cupcakesnake, Domejandro, infinite11285, Harry Garris

TGW
RealGM
And1: 5,883

Re: Stein: Celtics Refused to Include Jayson Tatum in Anthony Davis Trade 

Post#81 » by TGW » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:04 am

JellosJigglin wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:Tatum literally just turned 21

Ingram is only 6 months older and was averaging 27/6/6 in the last ~14 games before his injury. He's going to be better than the overrated Tatum.

No he's not.
LKN
General Manager
And1: 15,580

Post#82 » by LKN » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:05 am

JellosJigglin wrote:

Ingram is only 6 months older and was averaging 27/6/6 in the last ~14 games before his injury. He's going to be better than the overrated Tatum.

Tatum is a better shooter and defender.. .right now he's better than Ingram clearly. However you may be correct that Ingram ends up being better long term.

14 game averages mean nothing.. get back to me when Ingram manages to shoot 70% from the FT line for a season
Asianiac_24
General Manager
And1: 3,597

Post#83 » by Asianiac_24 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:05 am

Celtics is set up to be a perennial pretender

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
niQ
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 29,213

Post#84 » by niQ » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:05 am

NoDopeOnSundays wrote:Passed on George, Butler, Kawhi and now AD.

Well done.

He's saving up and has eyes on the bigger prize.
Zion.

Spoiler:
:lol:
John Murdoch
General Manager
And1: 7,259

Post#85 » by John Murdoch » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:07 am

Agree not getting Kawhi was the beginning of the end for them unfortunatley . I think they just comtinue to try and build around Tatum , Brown and see if anything else falls in their laps but not looking good with how strong TOR, PHI, and MIL are now
Magic#1 wrote:We have won two playoff games in two years. If we decide to keep this team for the next two years, maybe it will feel like we won a series.
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,312

Post#86 » by CoP » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:08 am

24 hours ago ppl were laughing at the prospect of BOS giving up too much for AD and him walking after a year. Now they refuse to give up too much and some ppl pull a 180

Like someone else said, I think this is a good decision in a sea of bad ones. Giving up Brown and Tatum for what surely looked like a one year rental was extremely risky, moreso than Raptors trading for Kawhi.

I dont think anyone could argue that what AD pulled last ssn made him look good. Hurt his image and standing a lot, and fir all his high rankings the guy has yet to show that he can take a team to even the conference finals. Has only made it out of the 1st round once.

That said, the hope of last season for Celtics fans has crashed down HARD in the last year. A starting 5 of Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward and Horford is OK, but certainly nothing special. Now maybe they'll gel like crazy and prove me wrong, but that seems like a 2nd round exit type of team.
Kool_Name_Right
Senior
And1: 513

Post#87 » by Kool_Name_Right » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:15 am

heatwillbeback wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:
heatwillbeback wrote:
He regressed first to second year. It’s a horrible sign.

He has a low floor because he is already good... but I have serious doubts as to his long term potential when he doesn’t improve year 1 to 2.

It shouldn’t of even been a question to include him for AD.

He's still a kid man...

Of course. Which is why I would expect improvement. He didn’t improve between his first and second year.

Some guys are developed coming into the league and are what they are. I think Tatum is that type of guy.

Lol he's 21?

Players can improve even if they didn't jump in statistics from year 1 to 2.

Sent from my SM-G920I using RealGM mobile app
JellosJigglin
RealGM
And1: 9,400

Post#88 » by JellosJigglin » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:18 am

TGW wrote:
JellosJigglin wrote:

No he's not.

oh ok.
RIP BASKETBALL REASONS (DEC 8TH 2011 - OCT 11TH 2020)
BodieB
Veteran
And1: 3,339

Post#89 » by BodieB » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:20 am

Ainge is dumb but not for this.
mtron929
Head Coach
And1: 5,269

Post#90 » by mtron929 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:21 am

CoP wrote:24 hours ago ppl were laughing at the prospect of BOS giving up too much for AD and him walking after a year. Now they refuse to give up too much and some ppl pull a 180

Like someone else said, I think this is a good decision in a sea of bad ones. Giving up Brown and Tatum for what surely looked like a one year rental was extremely risky, moreso than Raptors trading for Kawhi.

I dont think anyone could argue that what AD pulled last ssn made him look good. Hurt his image and standing a lot, and fir all his high rankings the guy has yet to show that he can take a team to even the conference finals. Has only made it out of the 1st round once.

That said, the hope of last season for Celtics fans has crashed down HARD in the last year. A starting 5 of Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward and Horford is OK, but certainly nothing special. Now maybe they'll gel like crazy and prove me wrong, but that seems like a 2nd round exit type of team.

Rebounding is a major issue. Hayward and Horford rates to be one of the worst rebounding frontcourt duos in the entire NBA. I think that starting lineup (from a defensive point of view) is unplayable. They still have major issues.
MeloRoseNoah
Starter
And1: 1,410

Post#91 » by MeloRoseNoah » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:24 am

Danny Ainge has always overrated his assets. Now, most of his assets are depreciating into busts. There's a very good chance that the Celtics may miss the playoff next year. They also might fire their coach as well.
druggas
Head Coach
And1: 5,139

Post#92 » by druggas » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:25 am

The irony is that Ainge by-passed Kawhi and the others, because his ultimate dream was to get Davis. Then he wet the bed and didn't get anyone!
Kaykoose
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,406

Post#93 » by Kaykoose » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:26 am

AD wanted nothing to do with the Celtics. I don't see how we could fault Ainge here.
drosereturn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,495

Post#94 » by drosereturn » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:26 am

Ainge got played by his own playbook. Trying to outsmart everybody and Bos fans thought they were getting AD.
Too bad no AD when there was no Tatum offered. Their core is fked with Rozier starting and no real stars.
Lamelo will be a future superstar Bull. Book it. Lavar for president!
DirtyDez
Suns Forum College Scout
And1: 6,310

Post#95 » by DirtyDez » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:28 am

druggas wrote:The irony is that Ainge by-passed Kawhi and the others, because his ultimate dream was to get Davis. Then he wet the bed and didn't get anyone!

I don’t care what anyone says there’s no way they could’ve traded Tatum after his rookie year. If
fromthetop321 wrote:I got Lebron number 1, he is also leading defensive player of the year. Curry's game still reminds me of Jeremy Lin to much.
CoP
Head Coach
And1: 9,312

Post#96 » by CoP » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:30 am

mtron929 wrote:
CoP wrote:24 hours ago ppl were laughing at the prospect of BOS giving up too much for AD and him walking after a year. Now they refuse to give up too much and some ppl pull a 180

Rebounding is a major issue. Hayward and Horford rates to be one of the worst rebounding frontcourt duos in the entire NBA. I think that starting lineup (from a defensive point of view) is unplayable. They still have major issues.

I was actually thinking the opposite. Would be good on D but go through dry spells on offense. But you make a good point on rebounding. Maybe they re-sign Morris to start and Hayward heads the 2nd team. Or if they dont re-sign Morris, then Baynes starts. Who knows. Either way, there are a lot of questions

**** man, get Williams more minutes. That guy is raw AF but he knows how to protect the rim
nzahir
RealGM
And1: 4,643

Post#97 » by nzahir » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:30 am

This wasn’t bad of Ainge to not do this deal. Too much value going away, too risky, team wouldn’t be enough likely after trade and AD was very set for LA with Klutch, seemingly more than PG or Kawhi even at the time.

He messed up not getting PG or Kawhi
NY2k1
Starter
And1: 785

Post#98 » by NY2k1 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:58 am

Passed on George, Butler, Kawhi, and now AD.

Although, with AD, I can sort of understand since he threatened to not resign with Boston - but that doesn't always mean anything (see Paul George and now possibly Kawhi staying with Toronto).
TacoLord
Bench Warmer
And1: 2,249

Post#99 » by TacoLord » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:02 am

Danny Ainge will go to his grave with at least 4 other team's first round picks.
JB2
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,096

Post#100 » by JB2 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:03 am

Ainge did the Lakers a favor. Magic was offering Kuzma and Zubac too.

Return to The General Board