[Woj] Pelicans could trade the #4 pick

Moderators: Prez, ken6199, Dirk, Domejandro, zimpy27, bwgood77, BombsquadSammy, Yuri Vaultin, PockyCandy

rugbyrugger23
General Manager
Posts: 8,005
And1: 919
Joined: Jun 07, 2011

Re: [Woj] Pelicans could trade the #4 pick 

Post#161 » by rugbyrugger23 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:54 pm

DreamTeam09 wrote:
rugbyrugger23 wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
lol lol you are crazy my friend. Holiday + 4 will not get you towns. Crazy u would even think that lol

Did you purposely leave out big assets Wolves receiving in this trade to fit your narrative???


why would the wolves want Jrue and 4th and a future pick after giving up towns. U won't get a towns with the 4th pick and why would any rebuilding team want Jrue.

Why would they be a rebuilding team. Wolves organization doesn’t want a tear down rebuild. But trading Towns with Wiggins gives them some franchise direction. I think they are a playoff team with their new lineup.
User avatar
DayofMourning
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 17,366
And1: 42,726
Joined: Jan 03, 2006
Location: Lottery land
       

Re: [Woj] Pelicans could trade the #4 pick 

Post#162 » by DayofMourning » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:28 pm

Dr_Heat wrote:Goran Dragic , Jrich and Whiteside for the #4 ?
Who says no ?


Image
Image

R.I.P. magnumt....
User avatar
Scalabrine
RealGM
Posts: 13,871
And1: 4,026
Joined: Jun 02, 2004
Location: NorCal
     

Re: [Woj] Pelicans could trade the #4 pick 

Post#163 » by Scalabrine » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:07 am

Everyone keeps saying that Hawks but I personally feel like they should keep those picks and add more young talent to the core.

There is a good chance that they could add one of Culver/Reddish, then add Hayes/Bol/Goga and then also add someone who slips with that last pick.

Bol/Goga
Collins/Spellman
Reddish/Crabbe
Huerter/Bazemore
Young/Bembry

I don't think there is much separation between 4 and 8 in terms of prospect level, the real value of having 4 is the ability to take one of the point guards, but the Hawks aren't worried about that because they have Young. I'd imagine the Bulls or Suns would be more interested in moving up honestly.
Go Knicks!
Chinook
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,133
And1: 2,215
Joined: Jan 12, 2015
       

Re: [Woj] Pelicans could trade the #4 pick 

Post#164 » by Chinook » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:22 am

Da ThRONe wrote:Just keep the pick and draft BPA!


Yeah, the people who are hating on four are insane. Draft tiers don't mean jack. Just because the media has these guys as similar prospects doesn't mean they will end up being similar players. If 4-9 is a tier, having 4 means you get the first pick in that tier. Having 8 means you only get to pick between two of those players. Drafting the right guy is important. In 2011, people probably had Kawhi in the same tier as Singleton, Harris and the Morris twins. But only one of those guys became a superstar (even though all of them were actually fine picks outside of Singleton, who may well end up coming back to the States this summer after figuring it out in Europe).

Speaking of 2011, I get really annoyed when someone suggests this is a "three-player draft". That doesn't mean anything. There is a ton of talent in this draft, more than any draft since 2011. People thought of that as a two-player draft at the time, with Irving and Derrick Williams as the 1A and 1B. Turn out that five the players drafted outside the top-two could will get max or near max contracts this very summer while another handful will get sizeable deals. I wouldn't be surprised to see us talking about something similar happening in 2027.
Spens1
RealGM
Posts: 12,848
And1: 3,409
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
     

Re: [Woj] Pelicans could trade the #4 pick 

Post#165 » by Spens1 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:30 am

4 for 8 + 10 + 17?

think about it

8 - Reddish
10 - Bol Bol
17 - Hachimura/Langford/Little

I'd rather have that kind of haul rather than just Culver/Garland at 4.
User avatar
Scalabrine
RealGM
Posts: 13,871
And1: 4,026
Joined: Jun 02, 2004
Location: NorCal
     

Re: [Woj] Pelicans could trade the #4 pick 

Post#166 » by Scalabrine » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:33 am

Chinook wrote:
Da ThRONe wrote:Just keep the pick and draft BPA!


Yeah, the people who are hating on four are insane. Draft tiers don't mean jack. Just because the media has these guys as similar prospects doesn't mean they will end up being similar players. If 4-9 is a tier, having 4 means you get the first pick in that tier. Having 8 means you only get to pick between two of those players. Drafting the right guy is important. In 2011, people probably had Kawhi in the same tier as Singleton, Harris and the Morris twins. But only one of those guys became a superstar (even though all of them were actually fine picks outside of Singleton, who may well end up coming back to the States this summer after figuring it out in Europe).

Speaking of 2011, I get really annoyed when someone suggests this is a "three-player draft". That doesn't mean anything. There is a ton of talent in this draft, more than any draft since 2011. People thought of that as a two-player draft at the time, with Irving and Derrick Williams as the 1A and 1B. Turn out that five the players draft outside the top-two could well get max or near max contracts this very summer while another handful will get sizeable deals. I wouldn't be surprised to see us talking about something similar happening in 2027.


You nailed it on the head. It's more or less a crap shoot, just having the higher pick gives you more selection. Does not mean that player will be better though.
Go Knicks!
dms269
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
Posts: 7,563
And1: 910
Joined: Jun 27, 2005
     

Re: [Woj] Pelicans could trade the #4 pick 

Post#167 » by dms269 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:33 am

Spens1 wrote:4 for 8 + 10 + 17?

think about it

8 - Reddish
10 - Bol Bol
17 - Hachimura/Langford/Little

I'd rather have that kind of haul rather than just Culver/Garland at 4.
Which is exactly the reason why I don't think Atlanta would do the deal. Is there that much of a gap between Culver and Reddish that can constitute giving up your pick of center at 10 and get another rotational player?

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
The moderator formerly known as uga_dawgs24
Chinook
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,133
And1: 2,215
Joined: Jan 12, 2015
       

Re: [Woj] Pelicans could trade the #4 pick 

Post#168 » by Chinook » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:43 am

Scalabrine wrote:
Chinook wrote:
Da ThRONe wrote:Just keep the pick and draft BPA!


Yeah, the people who are hating on four are insane. Draft tiers don't mean jack. Just because the media has these guys as similar prospects doesn't mean they will end up being similar players. If 4-9 is a tier, having 4 means you get the first pick in that tier. Having 8 means you only get to pick between two of those players. Drafting the right guy is important. In 2011, people probably had Kawhi in the same tier as Singleton, Harris and the Morris twins. But only one of those guys became a superstar (even though all of them were actually fine picks outside of Singleton, who may well end up coming back to the States this summer after figuring it out in Europe).

Speaking of 2011, I get really annoyed when someone suggests this is a "three-player draft". That doesn't mean anything. There is a ton of talent in this draft, more than any draft since 2011. People thought of that as a two-player draft at the time, with Irving and Derrick Williams as the 1A and 1B. Turn out that five the players draft outside the top-two could well get max or near max contracts this very summer while another handful will get sizeable deals. I wouldn't be surprised to see us talking about something similar happening in 2027.


You nailed it on the head. It's more or less a crap shoot, just having the higher pick gives you more selection. Does not mean that player will be better though.


It certainly doesn't; you're right. But I don't think any team builds boards without a sense of the players having an absolute hierarchy. The Spurs didn't trade Hill just to grab "somebody" in that tier. They were obsessive in how they scouted Leonard, just like the Bucks were with Giannis. If he's not on the board at 15, I am not sure the Spurs do that trade. That brings up another point. Running a draft is an exercise in theory of mind. I think teams have some type of board for every other club to get a sense of where guys are going to go. Like if the Hornets think Brandon Clarke is the second-best player in the draft, they might trade down just because they are confident he'll still be there at eight. Just because they don't have Clarke in the same tier as lower players doesn't mean they will show their hands and operate like that.
Spens1
RealGM
Posts: 12,848
And1: 3,409
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
     

Re: [Woj] Pelicans could trade the #4 pick 

Post#169 » by Spens1 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:59 am

dms269 wrote:
Spens1 wrote:4 for 8 + 10 + 17?

think about it

8 - Reddish
10 - Bol Bol
17 - Hachimura/Langford/Little

I'd rather have that kind of haul rather than just Culver/Garland at 4.
Which is exactly the reason why I don't think Atlanta would do the deal. Is there that much of a gap between Culver and Reddish that can constitute giving up your pick of center at 10 and get another rotational player?

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app


Honestly given how key Culver could be next to Young, yeah. I don't think you could ask for a better S.G to put next to Trae Young to be honest.
User avatar
6ixSideSniper
Head Coach
Posts: 7,024
And1: 10,804
Joined: Jan 10, 2005
         

Re: [Woj] Pelicans could trade the #4 pick 

Post#170 » by 6ixSideSniper » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:03 am

Raptors offer FVV.
Image
What about DeRozan dawg?!?!

2018-2019 NBA CHAMPIONS
bleeds_purple
Veteran
Posts: 2,803
And1: 1,442
Joined: May 22, 2014

Re: [Woj] Pelicans could trade the #4 pick 

Post#171 » by bleeds_purple » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:05 am

Dr Aki wrote:
Roy The Natural wrote:
Dr Aki wrote:i think they will, they need a new center to round out their roster

they are set at 1-4 with jrue, lonzo, ingram and zion now

i'd go for nurkic


What are they adding to the #4 to get Nurkic?


cap relief and tens of millions of dollars in luxury tax savings. if they take turner off their hands as well, it'd be a slam dunk trade for portland

portland are WAY WAY WAY over


There's no chance in hell a team should trade a lottery pick for Nurkic let alone #4.
TheProfessor
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,758
And1: 568
Joined: May 01, 2010

Re: [Woj] Pelicans could trade the #4 pick 

Post#172 » by TheProfessor » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:13 am

Spens1 wrote:4 for 8 + 10 + 17?

think about it

8 - Reddish
10 - Bol Bol
17 - Hachimura/Langford/Little

I'd rather have that kind of haul rather than just Culver/Garland at 4.

Reddish probably won't be there at 8. I think all Hunter/Culver/Garland/Reddish are taken 4-7, leaving you with White. This draft is has tiers that alot of people aren't looking at. You have your top 3, then your 4-7 is a tier of itself. Then there is a drop off.
Spens1
RealGM
Posts: 12,848
And1: 3,409
Joined: Jun 16, 2015
     

Re: [Woj] Pelicans could trade the #4 pick 

Post#173 » by Spens1 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:16 am

TheProfessor wrote:
Spens1 wrote:4 for 8 + 10 + 17?

think about it

8 - Reddish
10 - Bol Bol
17 - Hachimura/Langford/Little

I'd rather have that kind of haul rather than just Culver/Garland at 4.

Reddish probably won't be there at 8. I think all Hunter/Culver/Garland/Reddish are taken 4-7, leaving you with White. This draft is has tiers that alot of people aren't looking at. You have your top 3, then your 4-7 is a tier of itself. Then there is a drop off.


I could see white going in the top 6-7 to be honest. Detroit need a P.G
TheNewEra
RealGM
Posts: 18,781
And1: 5,238
Joined: Aug 28, 2008
Location: Lob City
       

Re: [Woj] Pelicans could trade the #4 pick 

Post#174 » by TheNewEra » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:20 am

Hawks better not trade up.
rugbyrugger23
General Manager
Posts: 8,005
And1: 919
Joined: Jun 07, 2011

Re: [Woj] Pelicans could trade the #4 pick 

Post#175 » by rugbyrugger23 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:50 am

Kampuchea wrote:
DreamTeam09 wrote:
rugbyrugger23 wrote:Did you purposely leave out big assets Wolves receiving in this trade to fit your narrative???


why would the wolves want Jrue and 4th and a future pick after giving up towns. U won't get a towns with the 4th pick and why would any rebuilding team want Jrue.


I am reading the trade as including multiple 1sts from the Lakers. The first time you ignored the Lakers 1sts, the second time you pretended it was only one 1st.

Not that I am advocating the trade, just noticing you seem to really want to ignore the Lakers 1sts part of his proposed trade.

And swapping one of the top 5 worst contracts in NBA for expiring S. Hill — very convenient to leave that out of one’s biased narrative.
User avatar
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 36,554
And1: 7,618
Joined: Jul 19, 2005
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Re: [Woj] Pelicans could trade the #4 pick 

Post#176 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:14 am

I would like to swap with ATL if we aren’t enamored with Garland, just not sure why Atl does it?


Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Rainwater
Starter
Posts: 2,385
And1: 1,145
Joined: Apr 02, 2017

Re: [Woj] Pelicans could trade the #4 pick 

Post#177 » by Rainwater » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:42 pm

Crives wrote:
eagereyez wrote:Why on Earth would they trade the pick? They are years away from competing. If anything they should trade Jrue to strengthen the rebuild.


Years away? I wouldn’t be surprised if they are a top 4 team in the west next year.


haha, I don't know if you are being serious, lol.
Rainwater
Starter
Posts: 2,385
And1: 1,145
Joined: Apr 02, 2017

Re: [Woj] Pelicans could trade the #4 pick 

Post#178 » by Rainwater » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:49 pm

RakimAbdulJabar wrote:For everyone asking why the Pelicans would be trying to win, they're about to draft a guy who could possibly be the best player in the league within the next 5 years. A guy that is used to winning, the last thing you want to do is put him in a situation that he's losing every 2nd night and starts thinking he has to go elsewhere to win.

I'd love to see them turn around and trade the trash they got from the Lakers in separate deals, as long as they don't send Ball to Chicago


I don't get this post, most times the first pick ends up in a losing situation hence why the team got the first pick. By year 2, but most likely 3 or 4, that is win winning should happen if it happens at all.
Metallikid
Veteran
Posts: 2,699
And1: 2,441
Joined: Mar 10, 2010
       

Re: [Woj] Pelicans could trade the #4 pick 

Post#179 » by Metallikid » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:50 pm

They're going to take the Hawks trade which is the right move. #4 for #8 and #10
Red Shoelace - HangTime - VinBaker6 - 6ixSideSniper

* * * * * * * BOARD MEN * GET TITLES * * * * * * *
Crives
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,867
And1: 2,538
Joined: Feb 21, 2014
 

Re: [Woj] Pelicans could trade the #4 pick 

Post#180 » by Crives » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:52 pm

Rainwater wrote:
Crives wrote:
eagereyez wrote:Why on Earth would they trade the pick? They are years away from competing. If anything they should trade Jrue to strengthen the rebuild.


Years away? I wouldn’t be surprised if they are a top 4 team in the west next year.


haha, I don't know if you are being serious, lol.


Pelicans have the assets to add a star. Zion + Jrue + 3rd star has potential to be a top 4 team in the west ..especially when you add in their depth.

Return to The General Board